All my 'farang' friends are dead :(

simon43

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dear mother used to read the obituary column in the Toronto Star in Canada, until there was no one left.

Don't knock it, the obituary column is a great source of entertainment with those budding poets framing a few lines of ridiculous poetry aka " Fare thee well Big Dick, while you lived you were quite a prick, I'm sure your will, leave a large bill, and we are stuck with your wad of bad debts"

I have had quite a few friends/acquaintances pass away in 10 years of living here, but over the same period, I have been advised that just as many have passed away where I came from.

Although some deaths over here were either accident or alcohol related, so were some from my home town.

One certainty is that passing away will happen to us all eventually.

Simon, thank you for making me glad that I have no friends here.

I had a 'friend' in Thailand, busted for smuggling cocaine. I had a 'friend' in the Philippines, busted for raping underage girls. 10 years in Cambodia, my only friend is my wife. Being accused for associating with someone is too easy.

That said, one man's meat.......

I sometimes wonder whether retiring to Thailand will add to your life or take away from it. I think the answer is that it will shorten your life. Setting aside all the 'accidents' I think living in a hot and humid climate is not so healthy in the long run.

Everyone I've known who's live in LOS for 10+ years lives in BKK, and is still here. My hunch is that places like Phuket, Pattaya, Samui etc. attract a certain mentality. Not true in every case though obviously, but most who go there seem to live hard & fast.

Really!!? I seem to be missing out somewhere on good old Samui.

whistling.gif

Well, I have certainly known people who have died here in Thailand--in the last eight years, there must have been 20 or more; natural causes are in the lead, then mysterious causes, then accidents. However, a similar number of acquaintances have died in other areas of the world in the last eight years too. As I have aged, I know of more and more people who have died; must be just part of the deal.

Just realized; I've been living in Chiang Mai for seven months and don't have one farang friend. They're all Thai. About a month after I arrived, a Thai friend took me to a expat bar (don't remember the name). I took one look and fled. I told my friend that if I wanted to hang out with old farts I would have stayed in the US!

When i just read this thread about how many farangs died in thailand, it really scared me... My husband and i are planning to retire in here mainly because his parents live in chiangmai after they moved back to thailand. Then i realize thay my in-laws are both 80 years old and they are still healthy. They eat out a lot so i guess people who died young were not due to food safety or weather or enviroment but how the lived their lives...

This thread is certainly a sad and depressing one ... that's for sure.

I cannot comment as I don't have any friends ....

And neither do I, in Thailand, although I do have quite a few people that I know. And actually, outside Thailand I only have two.

Yes my reccomendation to this troll is not to have any friends but now that they already died (so sad) this advice may be superfluous...55

The guy you're calling a troll has been a member of Thaivisa for more than a dozen years, almost from inception.

If you are in your 60s-70s....death of good friends is normal and and absolutely inevitable. Disease...accident.... Now 73, I have been losing good friends since my 40s from every cause imaginable. Very sad, yes indeed....but try to paint your life in bright colors. Give those gone a good place in your heart. For my part, I try to remember and pass along great stories of our times together. My dear old friend Willy were walking down the street one day. We passed a bar and Willy says, "Tom, that is my kind of bar!" "Oh yeah, what kind of bar is that?" I responded. Willy just looks at me for a second, then said "Open!" Little stories can make you smile a little in the face of the certain adversities we all have or will face. I say that we all will die, but hopefully not today. I treasure the time I have with you all, and hope to learn more good stories.

Sorry to hear about your friends dropping like flies all around you. This must be scary!

However, alcohol is the biggest killer to expats in LOS in addition to fatal traffic accidents. Two expats died recently in our community here. The first (61) had intestinal cancer and the second one (53) drank himself to death.

Edited by Shermanator

Most of mine are still alive ,my buisness partner , never ill ,got sick went to hospital a week later dead . another cancer and one old age , luckily my best friend is not a falang but Thai she is much younger than me and i married her a long time ago ,in a land far from here over the rainbow ( England to be precise)biggrin.png

It's a scary place to get sick or have an accident. I'd hate to have a serious accident and be waiting for an ambulance in Thailand. Honestly it's something I dread.

The other thing is food standards. There's little to no regulation. One example is Thai peanuts and corn. The stuff grown here would never make it to the dinner table back home due to mycotoxins.

Proof that any topic can be turned into a Thai bash with just a little thought.

He won't rest till he finds the GAUGE.

I hope he is still alive and looking....biggrin.png

All those Singing Gigs and Chang may have caught up with him....sad.png

NAH!!!

I am still here, you two rascals......Still singing, shall I post my CD here for your enjoyment,,,?.......giggle.gif

As for my tyre gauge, I had to spend my gig money on a new one, it is now attached to my belt so noo feeerk will nic it..........thumbsup.gif

OK....thats you accounted for...

It's a scary place to get sick or have an accident. I'd hate to have a serious accident and be waiting for an ambulance in Thailand. Honestly it's something I dread.

The other thing is food standards. There's little to no regulation. One example is Thai peanuts and corn. The stuff grown here would never make it to the dinner table back home due to mycotoxins.

I think you might be making your life more miserable than you need (toxins).

I think you might be in denial. Generally in the West there are far stricter standards. Here there are virtually none. Which is of course one of the benefits of Thailand, though with this comes the flip side, that is such things as drunk driving, driving 150kph without consequence, and farmers bringing food to market without going through stringent checks. Look up mycotoxins. You might forgo eating peanuts and corn all together.

Hope I'm not too far off topic. About the corn - I thought the white corn was supposed to be much better than the yellow. Are prepackaged at 7 and cooked roadside the same grade to you? Thx

I've been working in relatively dangerous locations around the world for 10 years. Friends back home (UK) always ask if it dangerous. At least 6 guys I went to school with have died in the UK over the last 10 years from car crashes, suicide or overdose. All between 25 & 40. 2 guys at work have died. Both from heart attacks. Both in their 60s. One peacefully in his bed sleeping. The other on holiday with his tidy young wife. I don't know enough people in Thailand to make a comparison but I know which way I'd like to go.