One million more Chinese tourists are expected to visit Pattaya each year

Lite Beer

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya built its reputation over the decades on being a beer bar town for middleaged western men. Has anyone ever seen Chinese,koreans or even Russians drinking in these dives? From what i am hearing most foreign men are heading for greener pastures ie Cambodia and the Phillipines.

The Thai gov will make it easier and easier for nth Asians and Russians to get visas but tougher and more expensive for farangs.Chinese will come here but not as many farangs.

Are there any farangs left in Pattaya?

Mr Sutham Petkate, Pattaya city deputy clerk, said Friday that at least one million more Chinese tourists would flock to Pattaya each year thanks to the opening of the two new direct routes from Utapao to Nan Ning and to Nan Xang.

Glad they named the mathematician who came up with one million more Chinese tourists figure.

What exactly is the draw for Chinese tourists to visit Pattaya? They only thing I know of is the titillation of 20 minutes in an A Go Go. And they don't seem very titillated. Maybe pushing me out of they way, but they can do that in many places.

I have invested in an investment condo at UNIXX so any news on improving tourist numbers including expanding the local airport at a cost or 200 million baht as well as creating the high speed train to Pattaya is good financial news to my ears.

As it stands now the market is weak, but give it 3 years with infrastructure upgrades and an elected government in power (before the next round of violence) the property prices will be much healthier than now.

While I admire your optimism I am not sure I share it.

The Chinese themselves don't seem to be big condo buyers as yet. plus their ever increasing numbers and overwhelming presence I believe will reduce the number of more suitable tourists for your investments. Perhaps the Russians will return for you.

Even your 3 year infrastructure hopes are optimistic, the trains certainly won't be ready by then, elected government... who knows, and even the tunnel could still be under construction. All I see is condo buildings going up (or stalled and standing ugly) and that will not help a soft market.

Wealthy Chinese buy houses in stable, fully developed countries. Their most popular areas are the Bay Area (San Francisco and Silicon Valley) and London.

I live here full-time on Pratumnak Hill.

I walk most places.

I don't care who comes or goes.

I am not in control of who comes and goes.

The government does not consult me as to who comes or goes.

I've learned to tolerate and ignore the intolerant.

The world doesn't give a twig what I think.

My time on this earth is limited, and I find more enjoyment being nice than being hateful and ugly.

When I stop enjoying my life here, I move on.

Edited by Benmart

I have invested in an investment condo at UNIXX so any news on improving tourist numbers including expanding the local airport at a cost or 200 million baht as well as creating the high speed train to Pattaya is good financial news to my ears.

As it stands now the market is weak, but give it 3 years with infrastructure upgrades and an elected government in power (before the next round of violence) the property prices will be much healthier than now.

Ha ! Ha! In your dreams! Upgrades,,, what a joke!

How very nice. One million more of these spitting, loud, rude and just plain dirty tourists, and yet no infrastructure in place to keep them in control. No viable long term parking places for the monolithic buses, no control over plastic bottle pollution in Pattaya and on the islands, no instruction on how to behave in Thailand.

While I admire your optimism I am not sure I share it.

The Chinese themselves don't seem to be big condo buyers as yet. plus their ever increasing numbers and overwhelming presence I believe will reduce the number of more suitable tourists for your investments. Perhaps the Russians will return for you.

Even your 3 year infrastructure hopes are optimistic, the trains certainly won't be ready by then, elected government... who knows, and even the tunnel could still be under construction. All I see is condo buildings going up (or stalled and standing ugly) and that will not help a soft market.

Wealthy Chinese buy houses in stable, fully developed countries. Their most popular areas are the Bay Area (San Francisco and Silicon Valley) and London.

North Shore, Sydney. Thank God the government has realized past mistakes and are putting controls in place.

The trick of these wealthy Chinese is to come into an expensive area, buy a multi-million dollar house, never move in, board it up and pay an Estate Agent to look after council rates and taxes, electricity, and get lawns mowed. They wait several years and then sell for a whacking profit.

Now there is tue colonial logic for you. Add that it is widely reported that the Australian dollar will hit low 40's against the US dollar = about 15 baht, you will need to do a lot of praying for you precious Junta to allow an elected government in your time frame. As for the infrastructure upgrades, forget it, by the time the military have taken their cuts, there will be precious little else left. Happy investing, would have been safer to invest in Syria, you know what they say a fool and his money are soon parted. Anyway not all is lost, the Chinese will be happy to take it of your hands at the upcoming fire sale when they are the government you were expecting to be elected.

Maybe you have heard of the impending Chinese recession?it's going to be huge.The TAT seems to think that everything is going to be just fine.

The flight seats and claimed numbers of increased tourists are for sure out of whack. Still, there'll be a few hotels that get lucky with high booking percentages. and the local economy will get little to nothing. I was optimistic with the suggested 6 month Visa rules that they'd realised that to help the local economy they needed people with different behavioural patterns, but perhaps not if this is their strategy.

I've been trying to work out why places I've been recently are so low on customers, but hotels are so full, and my conclusion so far is that they're full of people that don't leave their hotel room until the bus comes to take them on their daily tour. Nobody out walking and exploring for themselves.

Good luck with that!