Motorbike loop over the whole Thailand (40 days)

djgeneral

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Thailand for ~40 days (mid of December till the end of January). I'd like to rent a semi-automatic scooter in Bangkok, explore the whole country (north & south) and return the scooter at the end of my trip.

1. What is the best place for long-time bike rental in Bangkok?
  2. Are there any whole-country route plans, loops, maps available on the internet? Maybe some blog-posts about similar trips? I tried to google but I wasn't very successful.
  3. Is this plan viable?

Thanks for your tips & suggestions.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

=Thanks for your tips & suggestions=

A Scooter - whole Thailand? = Take a bigger Motorbike than a Scooter. thumbsup.gif

It has now a lot of 250 - 300 cc Thai produced inexpensive bikes, so also not to expensive in the rent,

that is the Minimum for such a Tour, in my opinion.rolleyes.gif

All other questions = Google, try better and Google maps, make your own route. tongue.png

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle all day long much less day after day? Best try that in your home country first. You might ride one long day and need to lay up for a few to recover energy. Just being in the sun and wind is very tiring not to mention riding the scooter.

I did much what you are talking about almost 2 years ago except I didn't drive down S. I covered Central, North and Isaan and really enjoyed it. I rented a car from Avis at the airport and it cost me about $1,000 USD/35,000 baht for the month including mileage charge and fuel.

Others will give you some routes perhaps but be sure to mark off what you want to see and just drive there too.

Cheers.

Divide the country into sections Isan the NE, the north is the ara around Chiang Mai mae hong song, chiang rai, central thailand from sukotai and phitsanolok kanchaniburi, Bangkok, the south from about Hua Hin down rt 4 south to Maylaysian Border. and south of Bangkok is Pattaya and Rayong. The North area is very popular for motorbike riding because of the mountains. Isaan isa bit flat but there are some nice twisties in a few places. Have fun and enjoy yourself

You don't want to do this during rain season.You don't want small.I would be thinking of something 500cc or bigger.There are bike

Tours that you might want to think about joining.If something happens and your by yourself it could be bad news.The world is

Getting more dangerous.Better you than me.Good Luck

You don't want to do this during rain season.You don't want small.I would be thinking of something 500cc or bigger.There are bike

Tours that you might want to think about joining.If something happens and your by yourself it could be bad news.The world is

Getting more dangerous.Better you than me.Good Luck

I believe, when the OP, thinks from a Scooter, a 500+ is a too big jump, but 300 or 500 2 Zyl. bikes, yes a possibility. smile.png

Tours - will getting expensive.

Something happens? There the Adventure startstongue.png

But I would not be frightened if you a normal guy.

Edited by ALFREDO

A Scooter - whole Thailand? = Take a bigger Motorbike than a Scooter. thumbsup.gif

It has now a lot of 250 - 300 cc Thai produced inexpensive bikes, so also not to expensive in the rent,

that is the Minimum for such a Tour, in my opinion.rolleyes.gif

Sounds reasonable to me. I would definitely prefer bigger bike if it won't be much more expensive.

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle all day long much less day after day?

Yes I have. I grew up on motorcycles smile.png. I have been riding various motorcycles since I was 15. I was in Vietnam last year and rode about 1300km (every day ~80km). But I didn't rent one motorbike for the whole trip. I travelled by bus/plane between bigger cities and rented motorbike for daily trips around and out of the city.

Something happens? There the Adventure startstongue.png

But I would not be frightened if you a normal guy.

Exactly, tours are very expensive and make you dependent on other people. I love independent travel rolleyes.gif.

Should I be worried that someone steals my rented bike?

Let's suppose that I want to visit Ko Samui. Will the ferry take me and my motorcycle there?

Thanks for all your answers! wai2.gif

Make sure you've got good insurance. As you know, Thailand's roads are super dangerous. No coverage means they might not deal with you at all. I'd hate to think of all the reports I've read about people in accidents and don't have the money to pay for their hospital stay. And if you don't pay, they'll take your passport till you do.

Its doable ... but I wouldnt tell the hire people your plans as most dont like their bikes leaving the province.

Back in 2006 I completed a 38 day 7600 km circumnavigation of Thailand on a 125cc Honda Dream scooter.

It ran flawlessly … from 40 plus degrees and wide open throttle on the highway to climbing mountain switchbacks in pouring rain.

Avg distance / day ~ 380 kms
Longest ” / ” ~ 640 kms (ouch)
Rest days ~ about nine
Avg speed ~ 85 -90 km / hr
Avg economy ~ 90 mpg
Maintenance ~ Replaced chain and sprockets @ 11,500 klms
Punctures ~ nil

Good luck and safe riding.

Sounds like a great plan....

PCX150 would be perfect for a trip like that.

I would try and minimize long transits between stops and break the trip up as much as possible. Do the South then rest a couple days in BKK before hitting the North.

You can take a scooter on most ferries and even the little long tail boats to smaller islands, though there is plenty to keep you busy on the main land for 40 days, great beaches too..

Good luck and ride safe...

Edited by cornishcarlos

I've been around most of Thailand and Malaysia on my Pcx 125 ... Perfect bike for Thailand and it's crappy roads and road users ...

"I've been around most of Thailand and Malaysia on my Pcx 125 ..."

Sure, can be done, but for me and many others that is not enough fun and is a kind of suffering, being pushed constantly to the far left side, with the possibility to get rolled over from behind - happened deadly to Falang cyclers in Thailand.blink.png

"Perfect bike for Thailand and it's crappy roads and road users ..."

Sure? Possibly a compromise.

I believe most of male 125 cc drivers would change to a bigger bike for such a journey,

if they had free funds to do so.wink.png

A PCX be fine. Or A wave125

All this bull about big displacement is hooey.

I been all over on 125,150cc.

Not everybody likes to suffer in the far left and eat the dust of all others passing him on the right, constantly!

Some prefer, not to be the weakest and slowest in the chain.

Do you see many people in EU who drive on 125 cc scooters hundreds and thousands of Kilometers through Europe? wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

I completed a 38 day 7600 km circumnavigation of Thailand on a 125cc Honda Dream scooter.

Congratulations a achievement! thumbsup.gif

But, be honest, would it not have been a little bit more easy and more fun if you had done that ride on a

at least 300 0r maybe 500 cc (Touring) bike? rolleyes.gif

Loved my honda 125 and did loads of long trips and v a larger machine rding solo it did everything needed. . Trouble is with bikes and men it brings the unpleasant competative side out and they lose rationality, oh cant be slowest, oh your gonna get bullied,so frigging what, all signs of personal male insecurity . Not that they see it of coarse.:D next up it'll be oh the large engine saved my life , not it helped me get in trouble.

rijit

Edited by rijit

its really got nothing to do with being a real man and being the fatsest or boosting rights of having the most cc,small bikes are made as runarounds ,they make bikes for touring comfortable seats bigger wheel wind protection etc etc.

yes of coarse you can attempt it on an inferior machine but its a little dull and tiring ,feeling every bump in the road ,having to to have eyes in the back of your head because there is so many faster bigger moving vehicles around you,its been mentioned on here many times too that it is in fact pretty dangerous on some of the big roads on a little bike.

PCX 150 will cruise along at 110km/h... That's fast enough to keep up with most traffic, with a little left for an overtake if needed...

Plus its just as comfortable as my CB500F but with wind protection too !! Bonus...

And a 125 will sit happily at 65/70 happily sufficiantly quick enuf ti get u from a 2 b safely.

rijit

It's cool and trendy to do round the world journeys on Honda c90's, Cubs, postie bikes or waves.

Check on horizons unlimited and YouTube

You might want to buy a Honda wave, for 15-20,000B rather than rent. It's a bit tricky to do on a tourist visa or if you have never been here before, but it's possible - for the money you would save you could almost just give it to some kid at the end of your 40 days.

I know of one guy who does long term rents, PM me if you get stuck, I don't think he will mind you doing a long trip, but he's in the south - so you need to spin your trip around.

Edited by recom273

Good idea , achievable I did 15000 km in a year all over Thailand and Laos with my new Honda dream 110cc and loved it comfy, easy, save, you are able to drive where u Re able to walk. You should buy the bike and sell it later.

Edited by blueyeshk

To answer your question - no you won't have any problems going on ferries to Samui or wherever you want. I've done some crossings where you ride your scoot up a ramp onto a long tail .. It's not until you ride a heavy bike that you realize what's possible on a 125cc and how much easier it is.

Will anyone steal an old 125cc Honda in Thailand ? You have to be pretty unlucky .. There's always worries in border areas of bikes disappearing over the border.

When you get here and see what the locals do ( after years of experience ) on 125cc bikes, they can go up near vertical muddy slopes or 3 up through river crossings to waterfalls.

As Recom says a Honda Wave 110i is the way to go, new they are only 34,000 baht (£600) but red number plates, so nearly new 25-30,000. They are strong, big wheels (read the long trip on a Click thread) and do 200mpg...and everyone can fix them. Sell it back to the dealer when you get back.

We did 2,000km in 2 weeks on one (100cc) in Vietnam earlier this year, 2 up with luggage, easy peasy..two punctures £1.50 each and 2 oil changes £2.50 each. Ate lunch while they did it.

Had a smile on my face the whole time, such a laugh..independent travel is the best and yes start. late November December the weather is fantastic. People are friendly everywhere.

You don't need to plan too much, unless you want to and there are cheap digs and food stalls everywhere.

Bonne Voyage.

This has got me thinking, I might buy a couple of waves and rent them to bearded hipsters Put some knobby tyres, USB port, LED lights, topbox, waterproof bags and rack .. Ride them anywhere in south east Asia .. Smash them up .. I would be quids in after 6 weeks. Send them through the post to starting point.

Not everyone can be bothered to get a certificate of res, register the bike, get paperwork to take to Laos.

Edited by recom273

I would prefer to rent a motorbike.

If I buy it:

1. Is it legal? Do I need to do some paperwork?
  2. I takes probably more time to buy/sell it than to rent it. I can imagine that I'll take me a few days until I find a buyer.
  3. ~30k baht is a lot of money for my budget

I want to do this trip for 100 000 baht. Hopefully that's possible.

What advantages does buying a motorbike have?

I would prefer to rent a motorbike.

If I buy it:

• Is it legal? Do I need to do some paperwork?
  • I takes probably more time to buy/sell it than to rent it. I can imagine that I'll take me a few days until I find a buyer.
  • ~30k baht is a lot of money for my budget
I want to do this trip for 100 000 baht. Hopefully that's possible.

What advantages does buying a motorbike have?

If u plan to leave thailand after than few, not sure on the resale value but its gona be new machine which from my ex of hire bikes esp for long drives is defo

A consideration

rijit

Edited by rijit

From BKK - through Khao 'yai, then along the 24 to Ubon. Stopping off at all the temple ruins along the way in Buriram, Surin and Sisakhet.

Then go North along the Mekhong til you get to Loei.

Then south through Petchabun, go through Lomsak to Phitsanulok.

The up around Phrae and Nan to Chiang Rai, down to Chiang Mai, then do the MHS loop.

Doi inthanon and out to Mae Sot. Down to Kanchanaburi, do the Sisawat Loop, then do the Songkhlaburi road.

Back to BKK and head sough to do a loop.

40 days well spent.