PM Prayut sees funny side as student makes protest during speech

webfact

PM sees funny side as student makes protest during speech
The Nation

30268293-01_big.jpg
A security officer approaches a student displaying a banner calling for education reform during the AntiCorruption Day ceremony at the Centara Grand Hotel yesterday.//Photo by Sukol Kerdnaimongkol

Boy, 18, handed to police but later released without charge

BANGKOK: -- A STUDENT protester who displayed a banner demanding education reform during the prime minister's Anti-Corruption Day speech yesterday was apprehended by security guards and turned over to Pathumwan Police Station, before being released.

The Mathayom 5 (Grade 11) student from a prestigious high school said he had planned to put his petition for education reform directly in the PM's hand with the intention of cultivating an anti-graft mentality.

The message on the banner was neither violent nor offensive to the government or anyone, he said.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha was at the Centara Grand Hotel delivering a speech on the government's progress in promoting reform and tackling the corruption problem.

"The government is not hunting down anyone. We are just bringing unresolved cases to justice," he said.

"Even though I can do anything by employing Section 44, the use of this power is not interfering with the judicial system. My duty is to enforce legislation so that the country can move on," he said.

During the question-and-answer session following the speech, the |student hoisted his banner and asked the PM to cut back the citizens' duty class, add philosophy to the education curriculum and improve the teaching of history by making it less nationalistic.

The student was visited at the police station by members of Thammasat University's Dome Front Agora.

His parents also went to the station to meet with police before he was released without charge.

Prayut was reportedly not surprised by the student's outburst and he even saw the funny side.

"What's happening? He's still young. Please take good care of him and please understand the security officers, they have had to watch over me carefully lately."

He jokingly asked if the student was on "his side" and told the security guards to be gentle with him if he was.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/PM-sees-funny-side-as-student-makes-protest-during-30268293.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-07

"During the question-and-answer session following the speech, the |student hoisted his banner and asked the PM to cut back the citizens' duty class, add philosophy to the education curriculum and improve the teaching of history by making it less nationalistic."

The student is exactly right. All the talk about education reform, and no one has the balls to recommend reducing the hours spent in Thai culture class, eliminating brainwashing and adding courses that will stimulate creative thinking.

Edited by zaphod reborn

The article on the BP expands a bit more on this. The student is advocating for life skills (ethics, critical thinking and so on) over some 12 value nonsense that is such an archaic concept. Well done to this young man for speaking out to the big cheese on it. He also had a letter for the PM which security took and said they'd deliver. Highly doubt that will happen though.

This story and the one of the girl refusing to do her '12 value' exam are inspirational young people and they give me hope for the future of Thailand. No doubt the sycophants will be here in a minute calling this kid a red shirt or telling him to shut up and swallow his propaganda from Thailand's 'savior'

The young student can see the seriousness of flaws in the education reform while the General only see the funny side. Who is the adult here.

Ah well, you see the young fella is wrong, the old one is right. As per hierarchy, how dare he make such a challenge - you could even hear Prayuths remarks about the kid were condescending.

As long as Thailand holds doggedly on to this social/age hierarchy, it's very unlikely that any solid progress will be achieved, as those making decisions will always be behind the times, and those youngbloods who do have progressive ideas, are ignored by the old decision makers, until they are the ones in that senior position themselves, by which time they are too old and used to the status quo to come up with any challenging new ideas.

"he's still young...take good care of him"

The Dear Leader is using the old strategy to discredit by laughing off protests as the product of the naive or mentally ill; people who, in his view, should be looked at sympathetically and whose protests should be laughed off.

Well done that young student for having the courage to stand up and speak out. Sounds like he might make a good PM in the future.

Particularly with his suggestion for reform being to include philosophy, do away with the 12 commandments and make the teaching of history more factual less nationalistic. Way to go that kid thumbsup.gif

but .. but .. but .. everyone here told me that the evil leader put everyone in prison if they disagree with him ????.

And every poll is skewed because people are scared of the same fate if they give the wrong answers ????.

Funny, because they seem to have gone quite about it in this story. I must remember to treat anything else they say in future as more hypocritical whining.

but .. but .. but .. everyone here told me that the evil leader put everyone in prison if they disagree with him ????.

And every poll is skewed because people are scared of the same fate if they give the wrong answers ????.

Funny, because they seem to have gone quite about it in this story. I must remember to treat anything else they say in future as more hypocritical whining.

Have you forgotten about the seven students about to be tried for sedition, this is the real PM.

Have you forgotten about the seven students about to be tried for sedition, this is the real PM.

No no, those students are paid stooges by Thaksin you see, I think this is happening more than sycophants like English John would like so now he is trying a new angle as the old "They are being paid by Thaksin!" line is wearing very thin.

PM sees funny side as student makes protest during speech

The Nation

30268293-01_big.jpg

A security officer approaches a student displaying a banner calling for education reform during the AntiCorruption Day ceremony at the Centara Grand Hotel yesterday.//Photo by Sukol Kerdnaimongkol

Boy, 18, handed to police but later released without charge

BANGKOK: -- A STUDENT protester who displayed a banner demanding education reform during the prime minister's Anti-Corruption Day speech yesterday was apprehended by security guards and turned over to Pathumwan Police Station, before being released.

The Mathayom 5 (Grade 11) student from a prestigious high school said he had planned to put his petition for education reform directly in the PM's hand with the intention of cultivating an anti-graft mentality.

The message on the banner was neither violent nor offensive to the government or anyone, he said.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha was at the Centara Grand Hotel delivering a speech on the government's progress in promoting reform and tackling the corruption problem.

"The government is not hunting down anyone. We are just bringing unresolved cases to justice," he said.

"Even though I can do anything by employing Section 44, the use of this power is not interfering with the judicial system. My duty is to enforce legislation so that the country can move on," he said.

During the question-and-answer session following the speech, the |student hoisted his banner and asked the PM to cut back the citizens' duty class, add philosophy to the education curriculum and improve the teaching of history by making it less nationalistic.

The student was visited at the police station by members of Thammasat University's Dome Front Agora.

His parents also went to the station to meet with police before he was released without charge.

Prayut was reportedly not surprised by the student's outburst and he even saw the funny side.

"What's happening? He's still young. Please take good care of him and please understand the security officers, they have had to watch over me carefully lately."

He jokingly asked if the student was on "his side" and told the security guards to be gentle with him if he was.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/PM-sees-funny-side-as-student-makes-protest-during-30268293.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-09-07

"EVEN THOUGH I CAN DO ANYTHING BY EMPLOYING SECTION 44"

Chilling

Edited by warriorbangkok

Why does Mr. Man keep alluding that his life is in danger?

Perhaps because any reasonable person would realize that it is in danger.

Right or wrong, corrupt or honest, savior or demon, or he's the only thing standing between some powerful people who wouldn't hesitate to kill anyone in their way- and what they want.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/854898-former-thai-energy-minister-summoned-for-attitude-change-session/

And another one. Sorry John, you were saying?

Edited by baboon

More encouraging would have been that the PM was, reportedly, 'suprised' by the student's outburst and he even saw the serious side of it as the student's concerns appear to have been of a serious nature.

The PM might have even expounded a little on the connection or no as he saw it, between the student's concerns and the subject of his speech i.e. corruption.

Nothing on the other questions that were taken or answers given I note.