Phuket Governor slated for transfer

webfact

Phuket Governor slated for transfer
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1441694618_1-org.jpg
Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong expects to be transferred out of the province on Oct 1. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: -- Governor Nisit Jansomwong today (Sept 8) confirmed to The Phuket News that he expects to be transferred out of the province, effective Oct 1.

The transfer is scheduled to be among the regular annual transfer of Thai officials in line with the government “budget year”, from October 1 to September 30.

Gov Nisit is named on the list of provincial governors tabled for transfer on Oct 1 to be reviewed – and approved – by the Cabinet later today. (See story here.)

“This is just a normal transfer,” Gov Nisit said, confirming that he is listed to be transferred to serve as Governor of Nonthaburi province, on the outskirts of Bangkok.

“I have no official comments just yet,” he said. “Transfers are normal for officials, and I am flexible to move.”

Gov Nisit also confirmed that he had yet to be informed who will replace him as Gover nor of Phuket.

However, he added that he believed Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada was top candidate.

Gov Nisit, if transferred on Oct 1, will have served just one year as Phuket's top government official, after taking up the post on Oct 1 last year.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-governor-slated-for-transfer-54015.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-08

Change them yearly...it's then hard to blame them for ineffectiveness....didn't have enough time in office to do anything productive...keep the worker-bees confused with new boss policies each year. Sounds like a plan (but not a good one).

Change them yearly...it's then hard to blame them for ineffectiveness....didn't have enough time in office to do anything productive...keep the worker-bees confused with new boss policies each year. Sounds like a plan (but not a good one).

But they have to make as many kick-backs as possible in a short time to make their 'contribution' profitable.

I've heard 'theories' that they are moved on after a short time to prevent corruption links being formed. My theory is that the 'central ministery' wants a brown envelope every year.

....if so many people know 'the dirt' on this guy....why isn't something done to put an end to his ways...

...do you mean 'transfer instead of arrest, or something'...

...if so, where does 'the cleanup' part come in....

"if so many people know 'the dirt' on this guy....why isn't something done to put an end to his ways" - becuase he has "the dirt" on those who have "the dirt" on him. That's Thailand.

I hope the transfer does add up to a better time for the people of Phuket,

but then again if the people of Phuket do not stand up to the next governor

either, then I guess the past will become the present and the future.

"but then again if the people of Phuket do not stand up to the next governor" - why would they? They are all in on it with "The Governor."

Time for the next governor to pay someone upon high in central government for his position. The wheel just keeps on spinning.

This BS should have stopped when the miltary stepped in ...

It goes back to when Prince Damrong reformed the bureaucracy, bringing Siam into line with modern nations' practice. It's supposed to prevent the central government appointees from forming too close ties with the real power brokers in the provinces. The appointment of governors is a holdover from the absolute monarchy because the revolutionaries discovered they liked exercising power. It's been argued for decades, but is not likely to change soon. The police are supposed to be transferred every couple of years, too, but they often seem to forget to do it.

It is a little unusual to move a governor after only one year, but apparently he hasn't offended any higher-up enough for them to want to actually damage his career by making a big deal out of it. Maybe they'll move him to Permanent Secretary of some ministry where he can't steal too much.

Edited by Acharn

I hope the transfer does add up to a better time for the people of Phuket,

but then again if the people of Phuket do not stand up to the next governor

either, then I guess the past will become the present and the future.

"but then again if the people of Phuket do not stand up to the next governor" - why would they? They are all in on it with "The Governor."

What are you on about? If "the people of Phuket stand up to the next governor" he just calls in the Army to control them. You haven't thought through how politics works, have you? "The people" don't have much power, only certain "influential persons" do. Of course the "influential persons" are going to take advantage of any opportunity to get richer or more powerful. You would too if you were in that position and knew which side your bread was buttered on.

What a system. Pay to get transferred to a gravy train, collect for a year, then leave a bunch of problems behind and say "I tried my best".....................

I don't know what country you're from, but that's the way it works in the U.S., too. Only difference is you spend the money on TV advertising to get elected and hire "consultants." We usually only have elections every other year or less, too.

What a system. Pay to get transferred to a gravy train, collect for a year, then leave a bunch of problems behind and say "I tried my best".....................

I don't know what country you're from, but that's the way it works in the U.S., too. Only difference is you spend the money on TV advertising to get elected and hire "consultants." We usually only have elections every other year or less, too.

I don't know where you are from, but from what I know, those in power in the US get "elected", while here the governors get "appointed". Big difference isn't it.

In the US, the politicians solicit donations to help their campaigns via TV commercials, social media campaigns etc. while here all money gathered goes into their personal pockets, after sending a percentage up the food chain. Big difference isn't it.

Time for the next governor to pay someone upon high in central government for his position. The wheel just keeps on spinning.

Why would you think it would have stopped under the military?

They use the exact same method for promotions.

Look what happened to Patong with Pian as the elected Mayor.

Were things really that much worse in Patong when Pian was running the show?

At least when Pian was around if your hapless tourist survived the ordeal by tuk-tuk and somehow made it to the beach he could reliably expect to be able to get a chair, an umbrella or even *gasp* a beer and something to eat to ease his troubled mind and brace himself for the return trip to his accommodation.

Now he can't even expect those mundane things without further having to decipher the impenetrable zoning regulations or explaining himself to a wandering squad of armed military personnel.

I don't like defending Pian but at least he seemed to grasp that a tourist destination without tourists isn't a destination for much longer either.

And the reason it hasn't is because the military soon realised what a gold mine Phuket is and now want a part of the action.

And the reason it hasn't is because the military soon realised what a gold mine Phuket is and now want a part of the action.

Yes, it's a total free for all on Phuket.

At the National level, we see early this week that the draft constitution was rejected, so don't expect the junta to give up their turn at the trough anytime in the next 18 months.