Drivers: Is police hassle a significant drawback?

Hal65

Even though I live in an area of town with good public transport (2nd road) I've been thinking of getting a motorbike to make some trips a little more convenient.

What has really been holding me back is not the price but the potential police issues that I keep hearing from my friend with a motorbike.

Last week he said the whole row of bikes that he parked by were all gone. Sure enough they were at the police impound with no notice. And there was not a "no parking" sign according to him.

A few weeks ago he had a similar issue with a policeman flagging him down and giving him a hassle about his international driving license.

And as I would definitely be making trips from walking street back home, I'm not sure what the legal blood-alcohol level in Thailand is. And more importantly -- whether the police choose to be a bit "liberal" when deciding if you're too intoxicated or not if no bribe is offered.

I would like to hear from other drivers of your experiences in general, and how specific police encounters have gone.

Thank you

Even if you know how to ride a bike, are confident with your driving abilities, are familiar with the local driving styles, are able to understand and possibly speak some basic Thai, qualify for a Thai MC driving license and have no issues wearing a skid lid, I recommend using baht buses, motorcycle taxis, a bicycle or shanks's pony.

If you reside on 2nd road and regularly get hammered on WS, there's ALWAYS the motorcycle taxi guys.

More of an issue are the traffic jams, buses, Baht buses & ignorant & aggressive drivers.1zgarz5.gif

Police does not bother you at all if you follow the rules and have a valid DL. Been driving big and small bikes for 20 years in and around Pattaya without any problems. Being mobil is a must for me and you would probably enjoy having a bike and going places. Good luck. MS>

Edited by moonseeker

If you have the correct documents its no problem.

but is annoying, cops could do a lot of other things than this Bs

But think your mate is telling pork pies, about hassle about international licence.

Ask him how long his been using the international licence, ?

its only valid for a few months at a time, bet that was the issue.

Your mate may well have met a nice cop that let him off,

But I don't like police harassment by the farangs that ass lick by doing the cops jobs. bah.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Last week he said the whole row of bikes that he parked by were all gone. Sure enough they were at the police impound with no notice. And there was not a "no parking" sign according to him.

I hesitate to ask such a trivial question, but

is your friend is aware that "no parking signs" are a rare occurrence in Thailand and most parking restrictions are indicated by the color markers at the curbstone? (yes, sometimes hard to see, worn out).

And of course there are some general no parking rules which need no specific marker/sign (close to intersections, pedestrian cross-walks, pillar (letter) boxes, ...).

I don't remember then all right now rolleyes.gif

International driving license:

How long does your friend live in Thailand?

Is his license still valid (or is he one of the experts that believes to escape with an outdated IDP)? -> No!

Does the IDP actually have the marker (allowance) for motorbikes?

If he is living in Thailand on a long term basis, he needs a Thai driving license of the respective class (car and/or motorbike)!

Edited by KhunBENQ

If you are going out drinking then my advice to you is to completely forget using a motorbike. Irrespective of the 'limit'. You will be a danger to yourself and others.

Not trying to lecture, but that is how I see it. Been riding bikes in Pattaya for 7 years. Stopped a few time on routine checks but, as others have said, with papers in order then it is on your way.

On the parking issue, a previous poster has covered this. I would simply add that when a farang applies for a Thai licence there is a video that explains the parking markings on the kerb.

You will not have any problems with the "police" if you drive a small scooter in stock condition without loud muffler in central pattaya AND wear a helmet AND have a Thai driver's license AND a copy of the green book (bike title) AND have a valid tax-insurance-inspection sticker AND are sober AND do not have alcohol or drugs on you or in the bike AND drive in a calm fashion.

If you drive a bigger motorcycle it is a different story...

Regarding parking: It is illegal to park where the curb has yellow or red stripes. It is illegal to stop where the curb has red stripes.

For the record, I'm find at least 20 times for no helmet and 10 times for no internation driving license.

I can fix the first, and did, by wearing a helmet, but I can't fix the international license, unless I really want to.

Thing is though, the helmet is often the reason to stop you, so better just wear a helmet and the amount of international license fines will reduce significantly.

The good thing about Pattaya Police is that they are not very creative and most of the time set up check points in the very same locations.

Once you know where the check points are and on what days, easy to avoid.

I have been surprised twice in 8 years, though the second time, i saw them, but decided to give it a try anyway.

In fairness, i did not have my DL with me, so 400 baht fine was well deserved.

First time, not only i did not have DL with me, but my tax had also expired, so 1000 baht again was well deserved.

For the record, I'm find at least 20 times for no helmet and 10 times for no internation driving license.

I can fix the first, and did, by wearing a helmet, but I can't fix the international license, unless I really want to.

Thing is though, the helmet is often the reason to stop you, so better just wear a helmet and the amount of international license fines will reduce significantly.

I'd say you are a slow learner and had a death wish as well. If you spend so much time here why don't you get a Thai licence?

Im sure I read in a different thread you stated you have a car.

If this is true.

You are leaving yourself open for a very expensive bill if you have a accident, as your insurance will be void.

Get a Thai one its easy.

Just some friendly advice wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

If this is true.

You are leaving yourself open for a very expensive bill if you have a accident, as your insurance will be void.

Get a Thai one its easy.

Motorbike would be the same.

If this is true.

Get a Thai one its easy.

Size of the bill could be very different.

If this is true.

Get a Thai one its easy.

Size of the bill could be very different.

You still leave yourself liable to pay compensation if you hurt somebody, be it bike or car, same with other vehicle damages.

If this is true.

Get a Thai one its easy.

Right now the insurance is still on the company I bought the car from so not sure if that makes any difference, they told me to call them right away in case I would have a larger accident so sure I could get myself out of it one way or the other but that becomes different when the car is on my name of course.

So far I had two small accidents, both solved outside the insurance, one was pretty expensive but not a story to share here ;)

Never gave it any thought in case I would have a big accident so will make one some day.

If this is true.

Get a Thai one its easy.

Right now the insurance is still on the company I bought the car from so not sure if that makes any difference, they told me to call them right away in case I would have a larger accident so sure I could get myself out of it one way or the other but that becomes different when the car is on my name of course.

So far I had two small accidents, both solved outside the insurance, one was pretty expensive but not a story to share here wink.png

Never gave it any thought in case I would have a big accident so will make one some day.

That insurance will be worth squat as soon as the insurance company discovers you don't have a licence. Or will you do what a lot of Thais do, do a runner if you have an accident?

Edited by giddyup

That insurance will be worth squat as soon as the insurance company discovers you don't have a licence. Or will you do what a lot of Thais do, do a runner if you have an accident?

What about this:

https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/MTDSG/Volume%20I/Chapter%20XI/XI-B-1.en.pdf

According to that treaty a foreigner is allowed to drive and lease a car in Thailand with his foreign driving license.

Edited by dennis123

Can you get a Thai driving license on a tourist visa? Right now I still have an ED visa but soon that expires.

You should be ok for a one year license.

I don't know if you have a home country one that can save a bit

work, ask a few questions on the pinned topics about driving license

As mention by others, your insurance is void.

unless you have a valid license to drive in Thailand

Can you get a Thai driving license on a tourist visa? Right now I still have an ED visa but soon that expires.

You should be ok for a one year license.

I don't know if you have a home country one that can save a bit

work, ask a few questions on the pinned topics about driving license

As mention by others, your insurance is void.

unless you have a valid license to drive in Thailand

Pattaya DLT you can get a licence on a Visa Waiver stamp - and it is now 2 years for the provisional licence. You may be able to avoid some of the tests if you have an IDP but YMMV.

OP -

And as I would definitely be making trips from walking street back home, I'm not sure what the legal blood-alcohol level in Thailand is. And more importantly -- whether the police choose to be a bit "liberal" when deciding if you're too intoxicated or not if no bribe is offered.

0.05 so basically a couple of beers I guess.........

Not liberal at all anymore if you are breathalysed. I am aware of an incident Saturday night which cost the guy 10k. He was already in the paddy wagon with others and it was only due to his tgf that he was able to eventually walk.

I ride a bike in Pattaya and do not have problems.

I find it very hard to believe the police would remove a whole row of legally parked motorbikes beyond some event reasons.

Anyhow, I park mostly in dedicated parking areas, which are free for bikes.

Get a licence, wear a helmet, do not turn on red lights (where prohibited) and you should not have problems.

That said, the very fact you seem to be considering riding around after drinking on Walking St means better for you and others you do not get a bike.

The limit for driving is 0.05%, but consider zero the best number.

Edited by jacko45k

I have lived in and ridden a motorbike in Pattaya for 6 years. I live in Central Pattaya just off 3rd road and I'd never consider not having a bike. It is just way, way too convenient to have my own transportation which allows me to easily get around this traffic congested town.

I have had my bike hauled away once, I have gotten tickets by the police. All of them were my fault. It's petty and irritating, but they were technically correct. I was never given a hassle about my IDP when I had one, but I got my Thai driver's licenses as soon as I could and have never had a problem with them. As a matter of fact, having a Thai driver's license helps me breeze through police check-points.

Take precautions when parking your bike in high traffic areas, especially at night, by placing a wheel lock on your bike. That will not prevent someone from placing the bike in the back of a truck, but it's more likely they will go after bikes without wheels locks.

You will not have any problems with the "police" if you drive a small scooter in stock condition without loud muffler in central pattaya AND wear a helmet AND have a Thai driver's license AND a copy of the green book (bike title) AND have a valid tax-insurance-inspection sticker AND are sober AND do not have alcohol or drugs on you or in the bike AND drive in a calm fashion.

Regarding parking: It is illegal to park where the curb has yellow or red stripes. It is illegal to stop where the curb has red stripes.

Basically if you drive like you would back home you wont have a problem

I very nearly replied to this quote, but then I stopped myself... burp.gif

as to the 1st paragraph, I might add.......dress casual....BUT......DO NOT """ LOOK""" like a person the police would be interested in talking with. I have been "pulled over" once in 20 months, I was dressed like a slob - wife beater shirt, rags for shorts, no shave, dirty bike. I have passed ( my home is Pattaya ) maybe 20 ( PLUS ) check points in the past 2 weeks, dressed decently, and have NOT been pulled over. I take my woman to and fro work 6 days a week, pass by as many as 2-3 checkpoints EACH WAY without being pulled over. MOST people pulled over ...NO HEAD PROTECTION, or dressed like a gangster - make sure the 2nd rider has skull cap on also!!!!

As to the way you drive, I follow the USA rules ( Kentucky ) of the road. At a red light, my GF always said go,go,go, when the count was 3 - then she saw a cycle hit by a car.....go,go,go is not a issue now.

IF YOU ARE PRONE TO ROAD RAGE, DO NOT DRIVE IN THAILAND.