Drivers: Is police hassle a significant drawback?

Hal65

Last week he said the whole row of bikes that he parked by were all gone. Sure enough they were at the police impound with no notice. And there was not a "no parking" sign according to him.

That exact same thing happened to me about three years ago, and between the police fee and the impound fee, it cost me about 600Baht to get the bike back.

You still leave yourself liable to pay compensation if you hurt somebody, be it bike or car, same with other vehicle damages.

For that very reason, I only leave a small token amount of money in my Thai bank, the rest I keep in my UK bank.

I have a full MC licence and first class insurance, but if you have an accident with another MC rider or pedestrian, they will try and

get money off you even if you are not to blame, if you don't have the money, they cannot get it off you, or maybe there is something

here in Thailand I do not know about.

You still leave yourself liable to pay compensation if you hurt somebody, be it bike or car, same with other vehicle damages.

For that very reason, I only leave a small token amount of money in my Thai bank, the rest I keep in my UK bank.

I have a full MC licence and first class insurance, but if you have an accident with another MC rider or pedestrian, they will try and

get money off you even if you are not to blame, if you don't have the money, they cannot get it off you, or maybe there is something

If you have first class insurance , why would you be worried

about money in the bank ?

is this not why, we have insurance ,

(Or maybe there is something here in Thailand I don't know about) whistling.gif

Some Soi's have no parking all along one side on particular days, and on the other side on different days. But I suggest you forget about driving any vehicle (for the benefit of the rest of us)..if you are already querying whether you will be treated liberally if caught drinking and driving. Develop some responsibility before venturing onto the roads.

You can easily end up in a police station after an accident in which the other person is 100% guilty. He/she lies to the police, witnesses lie to the police, you are the Farang with lots of money in their eyes, and the police could try to get money of you to share with the injured party by threatening you with jail. They want maybe 80.000 baht, all you have is 20.000 Baht. They can't get any more, can they? Your money is in the UK.

The man sent by the insurance company could be incompetent. I am not prepared to take that chance.

drunk drivers are death waiting to happen, it is the innocent and honest drivers {not drunk} I feel for , they respect the law then an idiotic fool who thinks 2 or 3 beers make him a better driver, either ends their life , or ruins there day. do us all a big favour pal , stick with baht bus taxi bikes please

You can easily end up in a police station after an accident in which the other person is 100% guilty. He/she lies to the police, witnesses lie to the police, you are the Farang with lots of money in their eyes, and the police could try to get money of you to share with the injured party by threatening you with jail. They want maybe 80.000 baht, all you have is 20.000 Baht. They can't get any more, can they? Your money is in the UK.

The man sent by the insurance company could be incompetent. I am not prepared to take that chance.

ok,

If you have first class insurance it covers all the BS. wai2.gif

if you have a problem dealing with the cops and insurance reps at the cop shop, that's your fault . (squeak up) facepalm.gif

There has been plenty of advice on the pattaya forum about this type of behaviour just lately, you would do well to go read some of it.

ok,

if you have a problem dealing with the cops and insurance reps at the cop shop, that's your fault . (squeak up) facepalm.gif

There has been plenty of advice on the pattaya forum about this type of behaviour just lately, you would do well to go read some of it.

I have never had any problems with the police or insurance people. Maybe I have read too many horror stories. So what you are saying is with first class insurance, I have no worries about being parted from my money by police wanting bribes etc?

Can you tell me which Pattaya forum you are referring to, and I will have a look. Thanks.

ok,

I have never had any problems with the police or insurance people. Maybe I have read too many horror stories. So what you are saying is with first class insurance, I have no worries about being parted from my money by police wanting bribes etc?

Can you tell me which Pattaya forum you are referring to, and I will have a look. Thanks.

Im not going to keep repeating myself for you anymore.

if you don't understand what first class insurance is.

tuff, just get your small wade out at the cop shop all will be fine. facepalm.gif

go look yourself, think it was a thread two or three weeks ago about an accident and the injured party wanted cash at the cop shop

don't know what the name of the thread was.

But think I saw your name in the thread on a few posts. ? thumbsup.gif

drunk drivers are death waiting to happen, it is the innocent and honest drivers {not drunk} I feel for , they respect the law then an idiotic fool who thinks 2 or 3 beers make him a better driver, either ends their life , or ruins there day. do us all a big favour pal , stick with baht bus taxi bikes please

Two or three drinks make you drunk?

Two or three drinks make you drunk?

He didn't say that, he said "make him a better driver"

Edited by giddyup

Been driving around Jomtien/Pattaya for years, so long as you wear a helmet and have the correct docs with you, no problem.

As for the parking, learn the rules. Try to park in bike specific areas, easy.

As to drink, don't even think about. Bike and alcohol, lethal combination to you and others.

Yes ride/drive 100% legal, no problems.

I never been harassed by the police here but are being stopped often which is irritating.

Now I fitted a top box on my PCX and the police then can see it's not a rental so they leave me more alone now.

I even been stopped by this expat traffic police dude there's been 2 topics about and he was actually very polite.

Ha-ha riding home at night from WS is a bad idea, drunk riding/driving is plain stupid man and they can put you in the slammer if they want.

Yes off-course 1st class insurances on my big bike & the truck and no you will not have to pay out of own pocket if you followed the rules, stand your ground and leave it to your insurance man to sort out any compensation, if claimed.

Living here for a number of years, I've been stopped dozens of times but if you have all your ducks line up including wearing a helmet it shouldn't be a problem. Never had a cop try to shake me down. Just because you have a International driving permit does not mean you can drive a motorbike, yes majority can't read just want to see something that says "International" but once in a while you will run into one that want to see the area that says you are allowed to drive a motorbike stamped!

As for rows of bike just being pick up or chain and taken to the station I've never heard unless you park on one of those Soi, that do not allow parking on certain days like Odd and Even..which happens on Pattaya Tai outside Tukcom for example.

When I do go down to W.S. which I do not want to even be put into a spot of having to be checked I just take to and from a motorbike taxi. If you are not sure rent one for a week or so and see what happens?

I hardly ever get stopped lately, I pass tons of checks, never an issue, I always wear my helmet lately which helps an aweful lot of course.

Often when I don't have a helmet and they want to stop me I attempt to get away, which has always been succesful.

Just wondering, what if they chase you and catch you? Just joke around and pass them some extra tea money?

Edited by dennis123

can u guys tell me what should i do in a situation

1- where i m stopped (though i have my helmet on) and asked for an IDP

2- what is the fine?

3- where do i head from there like to the police station at soi 9 .

4- where do i collect my bike from if its towed for parking on no parking soi (by mistake).

thank you

1) Open your space where you put your helmet and put 500 baht there and point at it, solves it always

2) Officially I think it's 400 baht

3) Depends a bit where you are, in Pattaya it's soi 9 indeed, if you're in Jomtien they might send you to the police station at NaJomtien

4) You can collect your bike at the same spot where you left it, eg you take a tuk tuk or motorbike taxi to the police station and return to the police agent that took your keys, you can also leave your national driving license instead and drive on your own motorbike, with or without helmet to the police station, pay and get back your license.

In my first year here I was often stopped for not wearing a helmet and just left my driving license with them and drove without helmet to the police station, then if I ran into another checkpoint I showed the receipt from the police and that was always ok, happened about 3-4 times that I was stopped again.

You can also easily fool them by carrying an old receipt with you :) in that case you should lower your speed but do not stop, just wave with the receipt so that they can't see the date. works everytime! :D

I hardly ever get stopped lately, I pass tons of checks, never an issue, I always wear my helmet lately which helps an aweful lot of course.

Often when I don't have a helmet and they want to stop me I attempt to get away, which has always been succesful.

Just wondering, what if they chase you and catch you? Just joke around and pass them some extra tea money?

"I always wear my helmet lately, often when I don't have a helmet". Which is it? You are contradicting yourself. Attempting to get away is exactly that, an attempt. So can hardly be successful. What's your first language, Urdu?

thank u bro

do u think i must insist on a receipt as a fellow bm on another forum said pay the fine and take A RECEIPT , that way i can drive for 7 days and if stopped can show that u were already issued a fine... but for that i will have to leave the license with the cop[ who will collect it in the police station on soi 9........ how much is true?

You don't have to insist as they automatically start writing, it's not like they're asking for the bribe, at least I've never been asked to pay in cash to them, that's why I went the first dozen times or so to Pattaya police station to pay and for that you get a bill which you show at the police station, there they give you a receipt as that's what you need to get your driving license back.

That receipt is only valid a few hours or max 1 day, if they see you the next day, you show the receipt and they check the date they will write you a new fine, it's only normal, 7 days is nonsense of course.

But yeah what you can do is drive slowly, grab the receipt quick from your pocket and just wave with it, they'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

At the police station they ask for your name, age and the country where you're from, which they write down, they don't ask for ID, but it's a lot of hassle reallly, especially if you're on your way to the movies or something so it's easier to just hand over some cash.