Thai police reveal identity of Bangkok bombing mastermind - pursuit underway

webfact

Great investigative work: releasing the name of suspects not yet arrested! blink.png

Makes infinitely more sense than issuing arrest warrants for unknown persons though.

Rest assured that if the police would have simply announced an arrest warrant for the mastermind without providing a name the very same people bashing them for giving out a name would be complaining about them not giving out a name.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most countries this would be attributed to a period of serious and thorough investigation by the police....however in Thailand if someone suggested it was in fact after a period of making up a story, the idea would have some credence, such is the reputation of the police.....yet they really seem to have no concern about this whatsoever.

"He is believed to be a leading member of the network responsible for the bomb attacks."

And they're still not calling it an act of terrorism?

Making a statement that a terrorist act has occurred within your borders has a whole load of unseen ramifications, particularly with foreign businesses already in Thailand and their investors. It also kicks you into the leagues of countries with piss poor security that triggers foreign governments to issue travel advisories. This impacts security arrangements with countries that have direct flights to/from Thailand with tourism only being one facet of air travel affected. Commercial freight by air and sea gets reviewed which means more rules and more delays and higher costs and less commercial attractiveness. To claim terrorists are active in your country isn't to be taken lightly.

True enough, but when a bomb has gone off at a tourist venue in your capital city, and you are claiming it was planted by a foreign mastermind and his minions, it's a suggestion that is rather hard to avoid.

"He is believed to be a leading member of the network responsible for the bomb attacks."

The word terrorism does not mix well with the other T word tourism. I think they have been told to call it an "incident" not terrorism. Tourism is the holy grail here. Its the one wheel still turning somewhat on the economic wagon.

If the Thai police obtain his identity it was done by the International intelligence partners. Goes to show you that if Thailand had work with these agencies from the moment of the blasts then what they have now would have developed sooner. But "face" is more important.

Am i missing something? The other guy they caught supposedly named the mastermind, and told them roughly when he left the country.

From there it was just a matter of going through flight lists and matching the name. Not rocket science.

Originally i thought the guy they caught could have been the head honcho and just made this name up, to reflect the blame from himself.

If there is a person of that name, who left Bkk at the time reported, than it wont be long before they get him.

But yeah, before these last few years you could have been forgiven for thinking talk of how the RTP is rotten to the core was just internet heresay.

but now?

Well, he wouldn't be very good mastermind he stayed and hung around to be captured would he now? he's be a dead

mastermind.....

or.....and no I don't believe this has the standard, "It was us" trademark of the myriad muslim groups -

"The Mastermind", seeing the rotten empire he created falling apart - could be pulling the strings in .....starts with a D.... with 5 letters.

The authorities, especially the BIB would keep eyes off any clues which lead back to "The Master Mind" in D....

Turkish, Chinese , now Bangladesh ?

So what's the connection ?

Admitted to carrying the bag but did not know what was in it ? Yet part of some network ?

If you ask me, too many things do not add up

Do you really need to have the connection pointed out?

Think religion.

Have you heard of Bangladeshi terror groups ? I have not

Then you don't pay attention

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Bangladesh_anti-Hindu_violence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Bangladesh_anti-Hindu_violence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen_Bangladesh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagrata_Muslim_Janata_Bangladesh

Again, since it was not very clear for some people.rolleyes.gif

IN Bangladesh yes, but there has not been any terror attacks by Bangladeshi on international scale

Admitted to carrying the bag but did not know what was in it ? Yet part of some network ?

Think religion.

Have you heard of Bangladeshi terror groups ? I have not

You would be surprised, I was there in Bangladesh the day 450 bombs went off, I have lived there, the place will amaze you both positively and negatively.

If thi ssuspect entered Bangladesh, there is no way he entered or exited without a visa, tracking that should be easy

Again, YES IN Bangladesh, NOT international

May be i missed it, but they OP did not say if he was Bangladeshi or went to Bangladesh.

They still cannot identity or confirm nationalities of any of them, this is why it does not make sense.

Chinese, Turkish and now Banlgladesh

Think religion.

Exactly...and SURPRISE SURPRISE Bangladesh. Who would have ever thunk it? A predominantly Muslim "cuntry" where 4 non-believers in their brand of superstition have recently been hacked to death. Islam...The Religion of Peace. bah.gif (puke)

Edited by Skeptic7

These guys seem to be all Uighurs but the government dismisses out of hand this was sn act of terrorism to revenge the repatriation of 109 Uighurs. They could have been idealistic people smugglers getting Uighurs out of China who diverted their network to terrorism out of anger with the Thai government. None of Thai military/police Linked Rohingya smugglers would have had a motive. They are pure criminals in it for money only and wouldn't blow up their own business.

In many parts of the world this is referred to as blowback. Plain and simple. What they did with those Uighurs was cowardly to the extreme.

usually terrorists die with there objective... why flee? why get caught... usually bombs are strapped to their bodies...etc..

things just don't make sense here... i wish this "thai-gossip" community stop leading on and get the professionals involved... Geez... get some UK, French, American's involved...the matter's solved within days... all this horsing around just splatters the mess all over the place and just becomes a Thai Media Circus... just can't imagine even M6, CIA and other intelligence agencies are not involved... not to mention, where is the UN in all of this?

get over it man... stop guessing and get the pro's involved.

The mind-boggling Thai police has the mastermind's identity and right where they want him...In hiding...

There was another terror attack where the whole world knew the masterminds name, took 10 years to find him. Other countries do it, what's so wrong with the Thais doing it?

Having a name out there alerts more people to him, it can increase the chance of finding him too.

Absolut(e) correct,

And then did Western World find him by use of their superior investigative powers? No, he was found by a stroke of luck, when a local courier became suspicious. Then this led to the loss of 50% of the USA helicopters used, and led to Obama and Clinton watching a live snuff movie together.

But Absolut, you and I maybe missing the point here, i. e. More Thai bashing !

What's with this obsession about what it's called? In America right-wing nut jobs have the same obsession. They complain bitterly that President Obama did not call the killing at Benghazi a terrorist attack (a false claim, by the way). What's the difference? Why is it important? Get a life.

Wait a minute. This is the guy who made the bomb, he says, and then put it in a back pack and put it under a particular bench for somebody to come pick it up. Where did you get the idea he claimed not to know what was in the pack? That would have been a plausible scenario for the guy who picked up the pack from under the bench. He might have carried the pack somewhere else and left it and never known what was in it. Why not? Drug smugglers use that technique all the time.

Wait a minute. This is the guy who made the bomb, he says, and then put it in a back pack and put it under a particular bench for somebody to come pick it up. Where did you get the idea he claimed not to know what was in the pack? That would have been a plausible scenario for the guy who picked up the pack from under the bench. He might have carried the pack somewhere else and left it and never known what was in it. Why not? Drug smugglers use that technique all the time.

Read the OP, In red

‘Mastermind’ of Bangkok bombing fled Thailand before blast

Al Jazeera

According to police sources, a man named Izan who fled before the bombing was a key player in the Erawan Shrine attack

BANGKOK: -- The suspected mastermind of Thailand's deadliest bomb attack fled the country on the eve of the blast at the Erawan Shrine last month and others wanted by police are most likely overseas, according to sources with knowledge of the investigation.

Under police interrogation, one of two foreigners in detention admitted to delivering a backpack to the bomber at Bangkok's main railway station on the evening of the Aug. 17 attack, police told reporters.

The suspect told interrogators the backpack “was heavy and it was a bomb,” said Thai police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri. That suspect has been identified by police as Yusufu Mierili. Mierili — whom police have also identified as Yusufu Mieraili — was arrested Sept. 1 at the Thai-Cambodia border. His nationality has not been confirmed but police say he was carrying a Chinese passport. Yusufu is the Chinese pronunciation of the Arabic-language common Muslim name Yusuf.

Police believe the bomber is the yellow-shirted man still at large and caught by surveillance camera placing a backpack at the Hindu shrine moments before the explosion that killed 20 people and wounded 130.

“The suspect insisted he didn't know what was in the bag,” said one of the sources involved in the investigation.

The man being questioned, according to another police source, talked of a lead role played by a man named Izan, who had fled via Bangkok's main airport a day before the attack. He had assigned responsibilities during a meeting of those involved.

Full story: http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/9/9/bangkok-blast-suspect-handed-backpack-to-bomber-police-say.html

-- AL JAZEERA 2015-09-10

How many more muslims of this "network" need to be caught then, before anyone has the guts to openly call this religious extremists' motivated terrorism? What's all that sugarcoating about??????

Are they all muslims?

Is the suspected Chinese mastermind a muslim?

Possibly, but without a known motive, for me anyway, it would be difficult to call it the work of a religious terrorist.

Let alone have the guts to publicly call it such.

I tend to agree that Yusufu is probably the bomber in the yellow t-shirt. Police are relying on DNA testing to match the bombers with the bomb which was unsurprisingly blown to smithereens. And we know that they do all the testing themselves in a non-ISO certified lab and without chain of custody using samples collected by ordinary bobbies with no forensic training.

Edited by Dogmatix

Are they all muslims?

Is the suspected Chinese mastermind a muslim?

Possibly, but without a known motive, for me anyway, it would be difficult to call it the work of a religious terrorist.

He is Uighur, be careful calling uighurs something they are not.

Interesting, also interesting is a article in the Bangkok Post about a Thai policeman that fired a rocket grenade into army building on Cambodian Sa Kaew border in 2010.

He has been convicted and one of the charges was terrorism.

So Chinese Uighurs can come to Thailand blow up a shrine, be involved in bomb making and it seems people smuggling and narcotics manufacture and by blowing up 2 bombs and killing and maiming people they are not terrorists!!!

Neither are the immigration police guilty of aiding and abbeting people smuggling and terrorism.

Uighurs aren't Chinese, and you calling them that might aggravate them more to bomb another shrine.

Well if he's got a real Chinese passport, chances are he's Chinese.... Duh

So do Tibetans, but they aren't Chinese... Duh

Are they all muslims?

Is the suspected Chinese mastermind a muslim? He can be any type of ethnic minority he likes, but his nationality is Chinese.

He is Uighur, be careful calling uighurs something they are not.

Interesting, also interesting is a article in the Bangkok Post about a Thai policeman that fired a rocket grenade into army building on Cambodian Sa Kaew border in 2010.

He has been convicted and one of the charges was terrorism.

So Chinese Uighurs can come to Thailand blow up a shrine, be involved in bomb making and it seems people smuggling and narcotics manufacture and by blowing up 2 bombs and killing and maiming people they are not terrorists!!!

Neither are the immigration police guilty of aiding and abbeting people smuggling and terrorism.

Uighurs aren't Chinese, and you calling them that might aggravate them more to bomb another shrine.

Well if he's got a real Chinese passport, chances are he's Chinese.... Duh

So do Tibetans, but they aren't Chinese... Duh

According to China they are. Anything else is semantics. Edited by Thai at Heart

Any murder in Thailand is automatically classified as the result of a love triangle or a business disputes. That is from the same textbooks as studied by Scotland Yard - remember? In this case it is clearly s business dispute triggered by the unstinting efforts of Thai authorities to crack down on people smuggling and human slavery in seafood and pineapple juice industries. It might also be a love triangle involving the Thai woman Wanna. Perhaps Yusufu was supposed to blow himself up with that suicide vest thingie in the police photograph so that another criminal could have her to himself but lost his bottle and up other people instead. Perish the impure thought that it was terrorism or anything to do with the export of the 109 Uighurs.

Edited by Dogmatix