Pheu Thai urges NCPO to release critics of the junta

webfact

Pheu Thai urges NCPO to release critics of the junta
THE NATION

PRAYUT SAYS HE WILL DETAIN MORE DISSENTERS AND TAPE THEIR MOUTHS SHUT

BANGKOK: -- KEY MEMBERS of the Pheu Thai Party have called for the immediate release of former energy minister Pichai Naripthapan, who was detained for "attitude adjustment" at an undisclosed location on Wednesday.

The junta has also confirmed that Karun Hosakul, a former Pheu Thai MP for Bangkok's Don Muang district, was also summoned yesterday afternoon to have his attitude adjusted.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who threatened to summon even more people, said Pichai was merely invited for meals and was offered lodging.

Prayut said he did not know how long Pichai would be detained as he had not yet made that decision. He said other measures would also be implemented, such as revoking passports and putting tape over the mouths of those who keep criticising the government and the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

However, calls have mounted for the immediate release of Pichai, chiefly from Poomtham Vejchayachai, caretaker secretary-general of the Pheu Thai Party, Surapong Tovijchak-chaikul, former foreign minister, and Chaturon Chaisaeng, former education minister.

Winthai Suvari, the NCPO spokesman, said Pichai had to be summoned and detained again because his views were not in line with the cooperation pact made earlier.

He said the former energy minister had expressed himself in a way that made him appear to be determined to destroy the credibility of the government and the NCPO by relying on his own views and incomplete information. Winthai claimed this caused the public to become confused and lose their confidence in the work of the government.

Some of Pichai's allegations cannot be proved, said Winthai, who confirmed that Karun had also been summoned by the NCPO again.

Chaturon, whose passports were revoked by the NCPO last week because he criticised the ruling regime, posted on Facebook yesterday that the junta's move would only undermine the credibility of the government further.

"The curbing of Pichai's freedom is sending a signal that this government does not want to listen to differing views and does not want people to have access to diverse views," he said.

"This will be damaging. If the |country's administrator chooses only to listen to views that match his, those close to him would not dare to differ and they all will be lost," Chaturon wrote.

"The blocking of differing views will also affect the confidence in the economy and the policy in tackling [economic] problems," Chaturon continued, referring to Pichai's main criticism, which was on Prayut's handling of the economy.

"This is because information provided by the government alone is not trustworthy."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Pheu-Thai-urges-NCPO-to-release-critics-of-the-jun-30268558.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-11

I hope that during the PM's visit to the UN later this month someone will inquire about his policy of taping shut the mouths of critics of the government, but I'm not holding my breath.

Criticism of the government seems to be increasing. Looks like we might be in for a hot winter.

I hope that during the PM's visit to the UN later this month someone will inquire about his policy of taping shut the mouths of critics of the government, but I'm not holding my breath.

Criticism of the government seems to be increasing. Looks like we might be in for a hot winter.

Speaking to the Thai people in my area, The General is very unpopular. coffee1.gif

I get where he's coming from and understand it, he obviously does not like politicians especially those that have served in government for long periods of time and done nothing for Thailand - only themselves, the PM believes they have no right to comment and to an extent I see it, we all know their track record, ask this guy where all his money came from while serving as an MP

The bottom line is they have done nothing good for Thailand the last 30 years

In saying that, how do you deal with them, I also get the "don't interfere" with what we are doing - you had your chance now shut up or we will shut you up, we all know Thailands violent tendencies when certain people get to the soap box, for now certain people are in detention were the disrupters have been told not to speak, it seems some just can't resist

"Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha,..., said Pichai was merely invited for meals and was offered lodging."

"...Prayut said he did not know how long Pichai would be detained..."

Two diametrically opposed statements by the same person. Why am I not surprised.

I get where he's coming from and understand it, he obviously does not like politicians especially those that have served in government for long periods of time and done nothing for Thailand - only themselves, the PM believes they have no right to comment and to an extent I see it, we all know their track record, ask this guy where all his money came from while serving as an MP

In saying that, how do you deal with them, I also get the "don't interfere" with what we are doing - you had your chance now shut up or we will shut you up, we all know Thailands violent tendencies when certain people get to the soap box, for now certain people are in detention were the disrupters have been told not to speak, it seems some just can't resist

"....ask this guy where all his money came from while serving as an MP"

And while we're at it why don't we ask where Uncle Too got his hundreds of millions? Oh, that's right. He was asked and promptly threatened retribution to anyone who kept digging.

Welcome to the new Thailand where everything is so much better!blink.png

"Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who threatened to summon even more people, said Pichai was merely invited for meals and was offered lodging."

cheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

How magnanimous! Uncle Too, the reluctant coup maker and PM showing his humanitarian side once again.

So we should put our faith in military generals then? So many of them have been in power the last 70 years and has that stopped corruption? It seems we know THEIR track record too and they are just as dirty as the politicians. Prayuth was asked about his land deal and he went into melt down. In fact let's ask all the top brass to show where they got their money from. I bet a lot of bum cheeks would be clenching!

Suits have been switched to Khakis, uniforms and methods are a bit different but at the end of the day the enriching continues.

Speaking to the Thai people in my area, The General is very unpopular. coffee1.gif

My area too. Staunchly yellow, but they are beginning to get seriously annoyed when their viewing is interrupted ever more frequently for yet another juntacast...

maybe the next time there is slaughter on the streets of Thailand and the police are doing nothing - the military should just stay back and let it happen, that seems to be the solution some are advocating here, and lets remember that most of these conflicts are caused by the corrupt practice of the sitting governements and their unlawful attempts to push through agendas that don't sit well with most of the Thai people, is that what Thailand really needs - an uprising and utimately a civil war

I don't think so

The sooner they write a constitution that firms up and stops these people in office abusing their position the sooner we will see a lasting peace here, some simple rules would have made it impossible for PTP to even attempt what they tried 3 years ago and none of this would have happened

Edited by smedly

maybe the next time there is slaughter on the streets of Thailand and the police are doing nothing - the military should just stay back and let it happen, that seems to be the solution some are advocating here, and lets remember that most of these conflicts are caused by the corrupt practice of the sitting governements and their unlawful attempts to push through agendas that don't sit well with most of the Thai people, is that what Thailand really needs - an uprising and utimately a civil war

I don't think so

The sooner they write a constitution that firms up and stops these people in office abusing their position the sooner we will see a lasting peace here, some simple rules would have made it impossible for PTP to even attempt what they tried 3 years ago and none of this would have happened

That'such an amazingly simplistic and naive analysis. What good does a new constitution do when it just gets torn up?

Thailand has several fundamental problems that need to be solved before we can see real progress.

Thaksin (and the present snouts in the trough) is a result of these problems, not the cause - and certainly not the solution.

I don't think so

That'such an amazingly simplistic and naive analysis. What good does a new constitution do when it just gets torn up?

Thailand has several fundamental problems that need to be solved before we can see real progress.

Thaksin (and the present snouts in the trough) is a result of these problems, not the cause - and certainly not the solution.

Or, perhaps Thaksin is the answer. Objectively, it is beyond doubt that he provided the best governance Thailand has ever had, raising all boats with a rapidly expanding economy, but helping most the rural forgotten, the poorest of the poor. It is indisputable that he was removed from office because he threatened the corrupt and privileged status of the amart, those Thais who have made millions exploiting and robbing the workers of Thailand they disparagingly call buffalo, or prai (serf).

I'm constantly amazed at the number of foreigners who happily defend feudal and military rule.

I don't think so

WHy not. That's what they did in 2011, when hundreds were gunned down, and there was no coup. NO COUP!

You have the best selective memory and visual blinders I have ever seen.

"He said other measures would also be implemented, such as revoking passports and putting tape over the mouths of those who keep criticising the government and the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)."

Really.....you are okay with that? You must be from China or Russia, where such outrageous stupidity is acceptable.

"Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who threatened to summon even more people, said Pichai was merely invited for meals and was offered lodging."

cheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

How magnanimous! Uncle Too, the reluctant coup maker and PM showing his humanitarian side once again.

I think it's more showing his sense of humor. Which is actually quite worrying.

I don't think so

The next time there is "slaughter on the streets" it is a pretty safe bet that it will be your beloved Junta that is behind it - or are you of the " they threw themselves recklessly onto our bayonets" persuasion?

The more he silences everyone the bigger their voice becomes. This policy is utterly counter productive.

Indeed. Given his stating 'Take good care of him (protesting boy hauled off by aides) They need to take better care of me lately', one wonders just how much more insane he has to get before he gets whacked.

I don't think so

Or, perhaps Thaksin is the answer. Objectively, it is beyond doubt that he provided the best governance Thailand has ever had, raising all boats with a rapidly expanding economy, but helping most the rural forgotten, the poorest of the poor. It is indisputable that he was removed from office because he threatened the corrupt and privileged status of the amart, those Thais who have made millions exploiting and robbing the workers of Thailand they disparagingly call buffalo, or prai (serf).

I'm constantly amazed at the number of foreigners who happily defend feudal and military rule.

I'm amazed at foreigners who defend a corrupt criminal and try to misrepresent the facts so often.

Thaksin dissolved parliament in response to the outcries when he changed the law so he could sell his telecoms business to a foreign buyer and avoid all tax. He was caretaker PM and then resigned from that position. He then illegally and with no authority but his own took the caretaker position back. He was delaying any election until he though the time favorable and still trying to run the country as his own personal fiefdom.

I don't like feudal aristocratic hierarchies, nor military governments. But, I find lying cheating regimes, that pretend to support democracy and the people, whilst shafting them blind just as distasteful. Thaksin and his crooked family also made billions robbing the poor. The only difference his his family are newer at it.

I don't think so

WHy not. That's what they did in 2011, when hundreds were gunned down, and there was no coup. NO COUP!

"He said other measures would also be implemented, such as revoking passports and putting tape over the mouths of those who keep criticising the government and the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)."

Really.....you are okay with that? You must be from China or Russia, where such outrageous stupidity is acceptable.

LOL. Reading Smedly's comment then reading yours is like reading from a news article then reading something written by the guy who stands outside our 7-11 talking to himself.

Wake up. The Red-Shirts started the violence in 2010 by shooting at the Army. The bloodbath was intentional : you were played for fools by one person for his own gain and you still haven't realised.

And why on Earth would the Army launch a coup in that situation ?. What an absurd suggestion. They were clearing out terrorists from the streets of Bangkok (because the tomato police refused to do it), not stopping ongoing terrorist attacks by a regime against their own people.

Comments on this thread are a great example to remind us that we are talking about a developing third world Asian country and we Farang sometimes expect too much from it's people by judging them by our own standards. Certain sections of Thai society have more in common with remote parts of Africa than they do with the Western world.

The more he silences everyone the bigger their voice becomes. This policy is utterly counter productive.

Indeed. Given his stating 'Take good care of him (protesting boy hauled off by aides) They need to take better care of me lately', one wonders just how much more insane he has to get before he gets whacked.

I don't think he's insane. Irrational yes, and arguably delusional, but not insane. Quite.

Edited by Jon Wetherall

I am in awe of Prayut for having brought back peace and order to Bangkok !

I left Thailand in 2005 because I could see big trouble coming from Thaksin and his cohorts.

I am in complete agreement with Prayut and this matter.

And encourage him to continue with this approach. (get rid of ALL of them) !!!!!!

I returned to Bangkok 2 months ago to be a part of Thialand's Reneissiance and hope it continues.

We all live here and should be a part of the solution and help in anyway we can.

I don't think so

LOL. Reading Smedly's comment then reading yours is like reading from a news article then reading something written by the guy who stands outside our 7-11 talking to himself.

Wake up. The Red-Shirts started the violence in 2010 by shooting at the Army. The bloodbath was intentional : you were played for fools by one person for his own gain and you still haven't realised.

And why on Earth would the Army launch a coup in that situation ?. What an absurd suggestion. They were clearing out terrorists from the streets of Bangkok (because the tomato police refused to do it), not stopping ongoing terrorist attacks by a regime against their own people.

Comments on this thread are a great example to remind us that we are talking about a developing third world Asian country and we Farang sometimes expect too much from it's people by judging them by our own standards. Certain sections of Thai society have more in common with remote parts of Africa than they do with the Western world.

That last paragraph says it all.

I don't think so

A bit naive in my opinion. The idea is good but it isn't going to happen. In my experience, most people in Thailand are thieving from the bottom to the top.

A really good question to survey is "who is the biggest thief in Thailand?"

I don't think so

That last paragraph says it all.

Indeed it does. One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that EnglishJohn compare the unwashed masses of the north/north east with Africa. Well done EJ for coming out with your extreme perceptions (yet again)!