107 dead in crane collapse at Mecca's Grand Mosque

Lite Beer

Has anyone else noticed that the crane in question was a mobile crane, not one secured in place? To use one like that in a country where such winds are not remarkable, and in an area where people are gathered within the range of the boom was just stupid.

Ironic though, that the company involved was the Bin Ladens.

There is a measure of irony here. I also note that one of the family jets crashed recently as well and from what I heard there were some family members on board.

Really! are you sure about that?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else noticed that the crane in question was a mobile crane, not one secured in place? To use one like that in a country where such winds are not remarkable, and in an area where people are gathered within the range of the boom was just stupid.

There is a measure of irony here. I also note that one of the family jets crashed recently as well and from what I heard there were some family members on board.

Yup, at Blackbushe http://news.sky.com/story/1528558/four-dead-as-private-jet-crashes-in-hampshire

But let's get back on-topic.

The irony of the date did not escape me either.

One Thai killed in Mecca crane incident

BANGKOK, 13 September 2015 (NNT) - One Thai national has been confirmed dead after a giant crane fell on the Grand Mosque in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

According to the Thai Hajj Affairs Office, the death toll in Friday’s crane collapse stands at 107, including one Thai national, while the number of injuries is said to be 237 people.

The announcement also said 2 Thais have been reported missing as consulate officials are now contacting hospitals in the holy city of Mecca in search of the 2 pilgrims.

On Friday, a giant crane which was said to be brought down by high winds pierced through the roof of the Grand Mosque where worshipers circle the Kaaba - the black-clad cube towards which the world's 1.6 billion Muslims face to pray.

Mecca is Islam's holiest site. Pilgrims from around the world have been converging on the city and the mosque for the annual Hajj pilgrimage, which starts on September 21.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-13 footer_n.gif

One Thai woman killed in Mecca crane tragedy

MECCA: -- A Thai woman was among 107 Muslims killed when a crane crashed into the Grand Mosque in Mecca on Friday, the Thai Hajj Affairs Office announced Sunday.

The office said Thai officials had checked bodies at a hospital in Mecca and found a Thai victim, who was identified as Wanida Sadee, 48. She was a resident of Bangkok's Bangkae district.

The Office said two Thai pilgrimages were still unaccounted for following the accident.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/One-Thai-woman-killed-in-Mecca-crane-tragedy-30268695.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-13

Perhaps you would be wise to consider the full facts before posting.

I did. And I considered the reaction from all the haters here. Still, I stand by my statements. I take no joy and find no humor in the death of 107 fellow human beings, regardless of the accident of their birth into a country and a religion different from my own.

If you have ever lived in Saudi you will be aware of the punishment meted out to infidels that even possess a symbol of Christianity, never mind actually practicing their faith in private.

At this moment, many thousands of westerners that worked in Saudi will have a smile on their face, though I doubt dancing in the street.

Why the hell do many thousands of Westerners work in Saudi Arabia with such attitudes - comes across as massive hypocrisy.

I did. And I considered the reaction from all the haters here. Still, I stand by my statements. I take no joy and find no humor in the death of 107 fellow human beings, regardless of the accident of their birth into a country and a religion different from my own.

If you have ever lived in Saudi you will be aware of the punishment meted out to infidels that even possess a symbol of Christianity, never mind actually practicing their faith in private.

At this moment, many thousands of westerners that worked in Saudi will have a smile on their face, though I doubt dancing in the street.

Why the hell do many thousands of Westerners work in Saudi Arabia with such attitudes - comes across as massive hypocrisy.

Simple MONEY

Simple MONEY

Post removed to enable reply.

Thirty pieces of silver...

Edited by simple1

None of them deserved it as did none of the victims of the Muslim terrorist.

The whole issue reflects just what an enemy of peace religious beliefs and superstitions are in our world since humans beings were first conned into the belief of the God (s) myths.

However as an exercise in the truth of the matter as you see it impulse why don't you post the findings of the actions you propound .

However if we look over time it proves beyond a doubt how evil that religious beliefs are and that their supporters are no more than'' born again murderous killers.

The sooner this world is rid of religion in all of its perverse forms the sooner peace will reign.

While I understand the reason for your view, I would suggest you are wrong! If it weren't for religion it would be the colour of peoples skin, if it wasn't for the colour of their skin it would be the language they speak, if it wasn't for the language people speak, it would be something else.

People aren't happy unless they can point to someone else and think they are better than that person. Prejudice is part of human nature.

So maybe get rid of prejudice and maybe peace will reign, not holding my breath for that to happen any time soon.

Simple MONEY

You're painting with a very broad brush with that last little snippet.

Simple MONEY

You're painting with a very broad brush with that last little snippet.

Correct - whats good for the goose is good for the gander

Edited by simple1

We went there for the money and the adventure, we stayed for the money when we realised what the people were like. I rationalised it as regaining a lot of dollars that the Saudis ripped off the west for their massively overpriced oil.

Not many of us stayed there because we liked the people. Actually, the Bedouin were really nice, but the religious police ( IMO they were vile and disgusting people ) ruined it for most of us.

Edited by Scott

They were not members of the Bin Laden family on the plane that crashed they were members of the royal family. Just for the record the companies of Bin Laden are good emplyers. Unlike many Saudi companies they pay on time and honour their word. Dont confuse the Bin Laden family with Osama. They kicked im out of the family for the way he was.

I dont care for the Saudi's having worked many years there but lets be fair and factual.

I agree that these ppl are not the ones that we should be applauding, but taking you up on your example, yes, very few of those 50000 are terrorists. However, how many of those 50k would speak up and condemn what the terrorists are doing?

How many Sicilians would stand up and do something about the Mafia? How many Colombians or Mexicans would stand up to the drug cartels? (Rhetorical questions, BTW) But I know of 43 Mexican kids that won't make that mistake again, and probably millions more that learned from it.

I understand your point, but your examples are domestically based, mine are not.

There does seem to be a form of myopia that is clouding the visions of some of our posters and their sympathy for the faithful who if one looks at the list in the links below have no qualms about taking the lives of those who worship another deity.

What? So it a worshiper being killed by a failing crane is the same as Muslim killing many innocent people purely because of their religious heritage?

Here's a quick and easy Google exercise for you. Find out how many Muslims are in the world. Then find out how many terrorist killings last year by Muslims. Should take less than 5 minutes with Google.

Divide the 2 numbers, then mentally fill a stadium with 50,000 statistically average Muslims. How many of those statistically average Muslims in that stadium are terrorist killers?

How many of the 107 random Muslims killed yesterday do you figure "deserved it"?

I agree that these ppl are not the ones that we should be applauding, but taking you up on your example, yes, very few of those 50000 are terrorists. However, how many of those 50k would speak up and condemn what the terrorists are doing?

How do you know they don't, to a man? I bet you only read the Western press, and besides, they are probably restricted in how they can express their opinions.

But, based on your uninformed hypothesis, and based only on what they don't say, you can take joy in their deaths.

Disgusting

Oh please. Where did I say I take joy in their deaths? I clearly said the deaths of these ppl should not be applauded, as I detest killing of innocent ppl at worship. And, don't try a cute side step with this comment.

I was only commenting on the example given by the poster whether the muslim community condemns terrorism based on the analogy provided. There was online support for the victims when the Australia and French attack happened, but these are far and few between, as it's mostly silence. There's been far too many that have happened - almost weekly.

And, it is not even against western targets, as mosques, other muslims, are getting targeted/murdered too. You don't have to be only reading western media to see where's the condemnation from the muslim world.

I think ppl are very very nervous during this hajj for obvious reasons.

what a load of hypocrite christians overhere, they all forget to treat their fellow humans with some dignity. they are not better then the terrorists in the world

When Saudis treat us infidels with dignity I'll respond in kind. I take it you've never worked in Saudi ( assuming you aren't a Saudi ).
2 wrongs don't make 1 right

what a load of hypocrite christians overhere, they all forget to treat their fellow humans with some dignity. they are not better then the terrorists in the world

When Saudis treat us infidels with dignity I'll respond in kind. I take it you've never worked in Saudi ( assuming you aren't a Saudi ).
2 wrongs don't make 1 right

As you sow, so shall you reap.

Old Bible saying.

Frits Sikkink post # 76.

I larf I larf I pee I self

Oi Fritts .

Nip over to Saudi waving a Christian cross and carrying a bible and see how you are treated.

Course you could perhaps really go the whole hog and wear a yarmulke too.

You could always take a pork pie as a snack when you visit Mecca too.

Frits Sikkink post # 76.

I larf I larf I pee I self

Oi Fritts .

Nip over to Saudi waving a Christian cross and carrying a bible and see how you are treated.

Course you could perhaps really go the whole hog and wear a yarmulke too.

You could always take a pork pie as a snack when you visit Mecca too.

And your and a few others' post prove Frits is right.

What just like the Muslims do ?don't make me laugh

Yes OK, but they are not all the same,are they? I agree with Frits.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this what is meant by the phrase social Darwinism?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34346449

At least 150 people taking part in the Hajj pilgrimage have been killed in a stampede near the Islamic holy city of Mecca, officials in Saudi Arabia say.

The civil defence authority said on Twitter that another 400 people were injured in the incident at Mina, about 5km (3 miles) from Mecca.

Rescue operations were under way, it added.

The stampede occurred on the first day of Eid al-Adha, or the Feast of the Sacrifice.

Edited by Steely Dan