Drivers license no longer ok for ID?

"Deputy Commander Voravat also said that for expats living here, a Thai driving license or photocopy of your passport can be used as a form of identification."

I know it's a year old and a lot can change.. thus the topic.

There was also this, posted on 2014-12-17:

BANGKOK: -- Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri, spokesman for the Royal Thai Police, has said tourists DO NOT need to carry passports at all times.
His comment came when he was responding to the recent tourist shakedown reports in various media outlets over the past month. He stated that if asked to show their passports, tourists can produce their documents at a later time if necessary.

Source: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/650209-interesting-topics-reads/page-13?p=8813277#entry8813277

• Like 1

It is a pity that the receipt does not specifically say "passport", but from the facts related by the OP it is evident that the police officer did not accept the Thai driving licence as a valid identification document and would have accepted only a passport from a foreigner.

An option could have been to go with the police officer to the police station and arrange for the passport to be brought there if the officer would have agreed to this procedure, but suffering this inconvenience might not have been worth the 500 Baht saved by avoiding the fine.

As mentioned, you could have asked to be taken to the police station where someone could have brought your passport to you. This is what was done when Immigration raided the co-working space on Sirimanklajarn Rd. in Chiang Mai earlier this year. Everyone was taken to the Immigration Office near the airport and detained until their passports could be brought to them. A couple people had their passports with them at the co-working space and they were released on the spot.

In today's climate, I'm not certain a copy of the passport would have been any more acceptable than a driver's license. They want to look at your visa stamps and travel history.

• Like 2

This is so typical of many things here. There is confusion within the enforcement agencies themselves. It is very worrying that the immigration officers have different ideas about what is necessary for marriage visa and so on. There needs to be straight forward rules which apply to everyone and which everyone knows. We are all in the dark to some extent and seem to need to bow to the whim of whichever officer you are facing at the time. Disgusting.

Ever since the <deleted>ing coup, I have carried my passport with me EVERYWHERE I go in a waterproof pouch (my man purse). It is NOT illegal not to have your passport, particularly if you have a valid, current Thai driver's license, but the monkeys BiB either don't understand the laws (I often wonder what kinds of official training they receive that allows them to wear the brown) or are just <deleted>ing with the farangs.

This kind of behavior in a heavily traveled tourist area is beyond stupid.

Thailand, what the HELL are you doing?!?!? blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

• Like 1

It has often been discussed and I remember one statement from a high ranking police officer saying that carrying copies would be accepted.

It is also quite certain that foreigners got trouble for not carrying copies at least.

So this case is not a first timer.

Be aware that we have a nervous situation after the bombing and the scandalous reports that Thai immigration let foreigners in without registering (for a bribe).

I always have copies with me (main page, pages with visa, extension stamp and departure card).

But can not proof whether it will always be acceptable, as I never been asked for on the spot wink.png

When doing overnight/distant trips, I always have the original passport with me.

Hotel where I stay checks carefully and writes down data from the passport.

Always searching for the extension stamp/admitted until.

I have had fun and games with hotels about this. I will show them only my name and passport number. They are not immigration and have no right to check my visa details.

I tell them to get immigration to come and check if they want, or i will find a different hotel.

Always i have stayed and no immigration has arrived.

• Like 1

A driving licence doesn't show one's immigration status, which, in the current hysteria over the bombing suspects, might account for the tightening up.

However a Thai Driving License does show your passport number.

True, but it does not show your visa status, DL is valid for 5 years during which time every one except the PR holders goes through the visa/passport renewals/ extensions, on the other hand a 13 digit ID number apears on the DLs of PR holders which can be verified online via RTP computers.

A driving licence doesn't show one's immigration status, which, in the current hysteria over the bombing suspects, might account for the tightening up.

However a Thai Driving License does show your passport number.

True, but it does not show your visa status, DL is valid for 5 years during which time every one except the PR holders goes through the visa/passport renewals/ extensions, on the other hand a 13 digit ID number apears on the DLs of PR holders which can be verified online via RTP computers.

And a Thai driver's license may not even show a foreigner's passport number....for my first Thai DL it had my 13 digit Yellow Book number on it instead of my passport number....come renewal time they changed it to my passport number.