Just when Windows 10 and I were getting on so well....

pinkpanther99

Well would you look at that.

The problem was Avast.

Uninstalled Avast, restarted the computer, Windows 10 then installed some update, then i installed another Antivirus and everything is now working.

Thanks for the info everyone, you've all been a great help.

Strange? Avast has been giving me trouble on W 7 too, something must be wrong with Avast..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem was Avast.

Uninstalled Avast, restarted the computer, Windows 10 then installed some update, then i installed another Antivirus and everything is now working.

Strange? Avast has been giving me trouble on W 7 too, something must be wrong with Avast..

Strange, avast have giving me none trouble on my win7 desktop machine.rolleyes.gif

The problem was Avast.

Strange, avast have giving me none trouble on my win7 desktop machine.rolleyes.gif

Strange, it must be another virus then.. whistling.gif

Downloaded and updated from 8.1 to 10 using hotspot on the phone in Negros during a typhoon, talk about risk taker, ha ha. Everything worked fine only a couple of minor glitches, very happy, even better than XP.

Yes, the update process took some time but now it is bedded down, happy as Larry.

Reading all these horror stories make my hair bristle up! (joking only - I have no hair).

Since there are so many wizz kids here, please advise:

What do I have to do if I am a complete 'PC IDIOT' ?

If I chose to stay where I am now (Windows 7 Home Premium - came with the PC) how long will I be able to live with it?

Windows 7 will be supported until 2020 (usable until...?)

Other drastic recommendations have been:

Creating a NEW USER while in safe mode and copy over any needed files from the old user until the issue gets resolved

Do a complete Windows 10 fresh install

There are about four solutions to this problem posted online (e.g. youtube, etc.) and so far I have found that only working around the problem will work for me. I have made a new user profile and through that new profile I am able to open the start menu, etc.

My issue now is knowing what files to copy and what files not to copy over to the new profile. I want to have the same desktop, and Outlook setup as I do now.

I found online some information how to transfer the profile to a new user but they were written for win 7 and not Win 10. The win 7 instructions say to copy over all files except three files with "ntuser" contained in the file name.

Any suggestions?

The Win 7 instructions should be fine.

But do note that there is no guarantee the same issue won't strike your second user account,

Creating a full image backup of your booting partitions and separate backups of your data is highly recommended.

Also, check any forums that are dedicated to your AntiVirus/Security Suite software for any posts mentioning this issue and see if any resolutions are present.

So far the issue is known to happen with AVAST users, with some people reporting that removing that software rectifies the issue.

When I buy a new coffee maker, I expect it to work.

I am not a trained coffee machine mechanic.

I am not prepared to wait for repairs and instruction updates.

I am not prepared to buy a new set of cups.

The difference with Microsoft is that coffee machines are sold in the free market, OS are monopoly / oligopoly products sold by big business.

When will people realise that Microsoft products never work until they release a second service pack

Windows 7 never had a second release pack and according to Microsoft there won't any service packs for Windows 10... It's supposed to be done though cumulative updates. I've noticed I received one mid August and one earlier this month on my Windows 10 machine.

My XP crashed a few months back and I had the famous shop opposite Pattaya Foodland reinstall it for me, but they put AVAST on with it and I've had problems like not being able to open attachments, videos etc unless I disabled AVAST first. Sounds like I'd be better off without AVAST. Icidentally I bought my first ever computer from the "opposite Foodland" people back in the 80's, and the netbook I'm using now; they are great; maybe a bit more expensive than other places though.

The difference with Microsoft is that coffee machines are sold in the free market, OS are monopoly / oligopoly products sold by big business.

My OS is not sold. It is free. Just download and away you go. It doesn't crash. It is secure. It runs 60% of the world's web servers.

It is called Linux. PCLinusOS to be precise. Been running it for 10 years now as I reckoned Vista would be a disaster (got that right!) and problem free.

I don't use my computer as a toy. I'd buy a games machine if I had any interest in gaming.

Other drastic recommendations have been:

Creating a NEW USER while in safe mode and copy over any needed files from the old user until the issue gets resolved

Do a complete Windows 10 fresh install

There are about four solutions to this problem posted online (e.g. youtube, etc.) and so far I have found that only working around the problem will work for me. I have made a new user profile and through that new profile I am able to open the start menu, etc.

My issue now is knowing what files to copy and what files not to copy over to the new profile. I want to have the same desktop, and Outlook setup as I do now.

I found online some information how to transfer the profile to a new user but they were written for win 7 and not Win 10. The win 7 instructions say to copy over all files except three files with "ntuser" contained in the file name.

Any suggestions?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/cumulative-update-for-windows-10-for-x64-based/7df7a262-42e6-4377-adf8-04a3beaed7b6?auth=1

My OS is not sold. It is free. Just download and away you go. It doesn't crash. It is secure. It runs 60% of the world's web servers.

It is called Linux. PCLinusOS to be precise. Been running it for 10 years now as I reckoned Vista would be a disaster (got that right!) and problem free.

I don't use my computer as a toy. I'd buy a games machine if I had any interest in gaming.

Would you recommend Linux for a simple internet user like me?

I have no computer skills.

If my computer works, I'm fine, if it doesn't work, I have a big problem.

How difficult would it be to get used to Linux?

I use my laptop for surfing, downloading movies & music, email, face book, Skype, banking, stocking pics, google, no games ever.

Thanks!

I'm a Win7 user on my desktop PC; just prior to Win 10 was announced, upgraded by laptop to Win 8. I do not like the different interface on this, looks and feels like MS had got their latest batch of young Geeky programmers and told them, 'Show us the interface you'd like to see on our next version of windows' ... without any support from programmers they have been employing for over a decade. When I get a new OS, I expect it to be bug-free, and if I am finding any, the MS or anyone else for that matter should pay me, for finding them, and not acting as their free de-buggers. Maybe I will eventually upgrade, but to an OS that has at least 2 years of use under it's belt.

My all-time favorite OS has to be that on the Atari STe and Falcons; The OS is held on a chip, any software that has to interrogate the OS, places that data in a folder OUTSIDE the OS, and cannot embed anything into it. With today's ultra-fast processors and massive amounts (in comparison) of memory, there is no need or reason whatsoever why MS, and any other OS, needs to embed any files at all inside it's OS.

By using a single directory file outside the OS, and the data in this is used like an Adobe-style plug-in, makes far more sense. However, that seems to be wholly unacceptable, or maybe some other OS maker (Digital?) took out a Patent on this?

With Windows, when you get a system crash and have to re-install an OS, only to discover the software you had been using on it, no longer doesn't work, so you have to re-install that as well! Is that just too simple a concept for OS designers to take on board?

Rant over.

I have a Dell Precision computer. It is not a cheap computer. I took the free Windows 10 download. From the start, it was VERY slow to boot. It finally got to the point where after the opening window of 10, it went to a totally black screen. It appears that there was a conflict with Dell video drivers. The fans continued to run and the DVD drive would open and close. I was able to put in a spare hard drive and formatted the Windows 10 drive. That drive now has the very crappy Windows 8.1 on it. It works properly so the problem is in Windows 10. I am now back on Windows 7. I have had a belly full of Windows 10. Maybe in six months or so, I'll try it again.

I have a Dell Precision computer. It is not a cheap computer. I took the free Windows 10 download. From the start, it was VERY slow to boot. It finally got to the point where after the opening window of 10, it went to a totally black screen. It appears that there was a conflict with Dell video drivers. The fans continued to run and the DVD drive would open and close. I was able to put in a spare hard drive and formatted the Windows 10 drive. That drive now has the very crappy Windows 8.1 on it. It works properly so the problem is in Windows 10. I am now back on Windows 7. I have had a belly full of Windows 10. Maybe in six months or so, I'll try it again.

I made such a setup now three times. Windows 10 is still on my own PC and on one of the school computers. I took it off my DELL Inspiron, about 7 years + old, only because I couldn't get my MS office 2013 running. Everything else worked perfectly.

But MS office 2013 runs very smoothly on the other machines, even more possible choices than having Windows 7. And faster than before.

It works fantastic on two machines.Just telling you the truth. It seems to be way better, might have some tricky problems, but these will be gone soon.

The weather forecast in a very nice way. You just type a city and you'll see how cold it can be at home for the whole week and a lot more.

So what did you do wrong,, that I could make it happen three times, without a problem, beside the one Office one?

. Seems that you've downloaded a corrupt set up file, or your computer has some serious viruses/Trojans/ etc.? issues. . wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

The problem was Avast.

I made the same freaking mistake to listen to bullshit like:" A Virus Has Been Detected".....I don't wanna hear programs telling me some shit.

I want programs that delete that shit. Not talk about that shit. That's it. facepalm.gif

And coming from an ex- East block country doesn't make it to a better one either. Was there, done it. Never again. wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I have windows 10. I also have AVG. I know find that I cannot enter the Thaivisa main page from my email until I log off and reboot. It is only Thaivisa that windows 10 does not like, I never had problems with windows 8. Sometimes I run the AVG scan and that seems to settle things down for a day or two. But it peeves me not to be able to open all stories on Thaivisa. I end up deleting the forum and hope I can get the news on the next post.

I have windows 10. I also have AVG. I know find that I cannot enter the Thaivisa main page from my email until I log off and reboot. It is only Thaivisa that windows 10 does not like, I never had problems with windows 8. Sometimes I run the AVG scan and that seems to settle things down for a day or two. But it peeves me not to be able to open all stories on Thaivisa. I end up deleting the forum and hope I can get the news on the next post.

What browser are you using? Try a different browser and you'll see that it works well. BTW, you don't have to wait for any e-mails, telling you new threads. Just log in at

www.thaivisa.com Then you'll come to the first page and see all the news. It's got nothing to do with your Windows 10 installation, nor AVG.

P.S. The TVF team may feel free to make a little donation for a poor Isaanjero? (Please page me for my bank details). (lol)

Delete your browsing history and cookies and all will be fine. Please try System Mechanic, there's a free one month trial version that will also fix your issues and a few others as well.

Edited by lostinisaan

Would you recommend Linux for a simple internet user like me?

I have no computer skills.

If my computer works, I'm fine, if it doesn't work, I have a big problem.

How difficult would it be to get used to Linux?

I use my laptop for surfing, downloading movies & music, email, face book, Skype, banking, stocking pics, google, no games ever.

Thanks!

Yes I would. OpenSUSE is a good start. The layout is virtually identical to Windows 7.

You can download and put it onto a DVD. You can then try it out without affecting your existing system.

If you like it, install it. If you dont, reboot and throw the disk in the bin.....

I do not understand why people install yet another windows OS when it is still in its testing phase.

Why not wait a year until most MISTAKES have been reported by other users, and hopefully have been solved by Big Brother Microsoft?

You can't just wait a year anymore because MS has changed the way they deliver feature updates to Windows. Instead of a new version every few years, there will be frequent (6 monthly?) updates to Windows 10. The next big update I think is due in October (Threshold 2). So will you wait a year after that one, or the next one and so on?

It will forever be in testing!

Adn then you buy add-ons from third parties and mount them on the coffee machine, like a coffee dispenser, coffee loader, coffee cup washer, water filler, water emptier, water cleaner.

When the coffee cup washer breaks down, you take the coffee machine to the seller of the coffee machine?

now have Windows 10 since yesterday.. guess will get used to it, hated 8 and went back to 7..

normal always create a system rescue disk, but for the life of me cannot find how to anywhere ?? any ideas ?

still learning, got Kodi up and running perfect today, sad.png cannot find driver for my Logitech web cam [OS not supported !!] so not working.

now have Windows 10 since yesterday.. guess will get used to it, hated 8 and went back to 7..

normal always create a system rescue disk, but for the life of me cannot find how to anywhere ?? any ideas ?

still learning, got Kodi up and running perfect today, sad.png cannot find driver for my Logitech web cam [OS not supported !!] so not working.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows-10-usb-recovery-drive/

Most web cams anymore use the standard USB Web Cam driver from Microsoft. If yours requires a special driver, check the Logitech website for the most recent driver for your camera. A Windows 8.1 driver should work in most cases, if there's no Windows 10 driver.

Well more and more Bananaware comes on the market. When you buy it it just works half and after the 5th firmware update there are only minor bugs (which will never fixed).

That is clearly with mobile phones. That was with my Garmin GPS. It was with a friends TV. It is with my ADSL router and my NAS.

If your coffee machine would have more electronic some kind of coffee wouldn't work well and you would have to wait for an update.