Has anyone any experience with THai Health Insurance ?

aligator

I used to have Bupa Platinum and it was simply the best, everything covered for my family of 4. It was expensive at around 16k USD for the family for a year. Since then I have been forced to move to Muang Thai and although I can see the same doctors, it just took one small operation this year (cubital tunnel shift @170k baht) it completely drained my coverage and the rest of the year I get to pay for anything that happens. If I still had bupa they would cover 5m baht per year....

I used to have Bupa Platinum and it was simply the best, everything covered for my family of 4. It was expensive at around 16k USD for the family for a year. Since then I have been forced to move to Muang Thai and although I can see the same doctors, it just took one small operation this year (cubital tunnel shift @170k baht) it completely drained my coverage and the rest of the year I get to pay for anything that happens. If I still had bupa they would cover 5m baht per year....

Hi,

so what i read from your post (correct me if i am wrong) that your Muang Thai Insurance only cover 170K per year?

With this small amount i rather would do a self insurance, because in my opinion the insurance should be for bigger problem and not for small issues. OK, the Bupa Platinum is expensive but as you told already very good. I am looking for an insurance which is not too expensive and i don't care to pay 50'000Baht myself. I need the insurance if something bad happens which costs a big amount.

Maybe i misunderstood your post...

Hi,

so what i read from your post (correct me if i am wrong) that your Muang Thai Insurance only cover 170K per year?

With this small amount i rather would do a self insurance, because in my opinion the insurance should be for bigger problem and not for small issues. OK, the Bupa Platinum is expensive but as you told already very good. I am looking for an insurance which is not too expensive and i don't care to pay 50'000Baht myself. I need the insurance if something bad happens which costs a big amount.

Maybe i misunderstood your post...

Unfortunately you didn't. My previous company allowed me to get Bupa and I paid a 200USD per month premium. My company was purchased 2 years ago and the only option was Muang Thai (no premium). My wife saw it and almost broke into tears. Beside the surgery I had a couple procedures, but the total annual payment is only around 200k baht per person. Nothing like Bupa. If I were in any position to chose I would never chose anything but Bupa. Not only that the greatest portion of my premium was for my 2 year old daughter, for everyone else it was considerably less.

Look into Bupa first, then anything else.

Planinum plan of BUPA is good but a bit pricey for me, i'm 41 years old so i have to pay 33k to 43k per year.

Edited by aligator

Planinum plan of BUPA is good but a bit pricey for me, i'm 41 years old so i have to pay 33k to 43k per year.

I hope you mean baht. That is only 1000 USD and compared to any major surgery it is a small price to pay.

"The company reserves the right not to renew each insured person within the first 2 years after start coverage".

This must be considered Aligator.

I'm shopping also and think BUPA is the best choice.

I hope others can contribute positively.

really, i didn't know about that....

"The company reserves the right not to renew each insured person within the first 2 years after start coverage".

This must be considered Aligator.

I'm shopping also and think BUPA is the best choice.

I hope others can contribute positively.

really, i didn't know about that....

Have a look at the fine print bud.

Remember it's a business and they are in it for the money.

If you claim heavily in the first two years, you can bet your bottom dollar they'll cast you aside.

Edited by JoopJoop

Unfortunately you didn't. My previous company allowed me to get Bupa and I paid a 200USD per month premium. My company was purchased 2 years ago and the only option was Muang Thai (no premium). My wife saw it and almost broke into tears. Beside the surgery I had a couple procedures, but the total annual payment is only around 200k baht per person. Nothing like Bupa. If I were in any position to chose I would never chose anything but Bupa. Not only that the greatest portion of my premium was for my 2 year old daughter, for everyone else it was considerably less.

Hi, yes then this is indeed very sad. Buba i see with for example IMG as very good. I think if you have like 500'000$ (15'000'000 Baht) would already be quite nice and in my opinion enough. I found some insurance which give you this cover and are cheaper than for example Buba.

What I see important:

• Live time garantee, not that they will kick you out with 65 or 70 years of aga
  • good coverage (minimum 16'000'000 Baht per year) for this with a lifetime coverage sum i guess 5'000'000$ (160'000'000 Baht) also should be OK
  • monthly rates which are payable (and not that the rates for over 65 years will increase dramatically) I like to see the rates for different ages.

Outpatient i am not sure how important this is? because most bigger problems will be handled inpatient. But maybe if you have a bad sicknes which not need inpatient but still have to pay a lot for medicine (maybe some kind of cancer, ...) then would be good to have this as wel... still considering...

Taking into consideration all of the horror stories relating to insurance companies here (I know of at least two BUPA cases - one a broken arm, another cancer, where those supposedly fully insured, weren't), and looking at the Thailife linked above, I feel the best way to go is a combination of basic pa/health insurance and self funding, as some other posters have. I really don't see the point in flogging out astronomical sums each and every year for coverage which may not be forthcoming, nor a 'bank' thousand+ basic/worthless. The combo option, IMV, appears to be the best option.

Taking into consideration all of the horror stories relating to insurance companies here (I know of at least two BUPA cases - one a broken arm, another cancer, where those supposedly fully insured, weren't), and looking at the Thailife linked above, I feel the best way to go is a combination of basic pa/health insurance and self funding, as some other posters have. I really don't see the point in flogging out astronomical sums each and every year for coverage which may not be forthcoming, nor a 'bank' thousand+ basic/worthless. The combo option, IMV, appears to be the best option.

The only sure thing about the insurance 'horror stories' on ThaiVisa is that you only get to hear one side of the story.

Hi, yes then this is indeed very sad. Buba i see with for example IMG as very good. I think if you have like 500'000$ (15'000'000 Baht) would already be quite nice and in my opinion enough. I found some insurance which give you this cover and are cheaper than for example Buba.

What I see important:

• Live time garantee, not that they will kick you out with 65 or 70 years of aga
  • good coverage (minimum 16'000'000 Baht per year) for this with a lifetime coverage sum i guess 5'000'000$ (160'000'000 Baht) also should be OK
  • monthly rates which are payable (and not that the rates for over 65 years will increase dramatically) I like to see the rates for different ages.
Outpatient i am not sure how important this is? because most bigger problems will be handled inpatient. But maybe if you have a bad sicknes which not need inpatient but still have to pay a lot for medicine (maybe some kind of cancer, ...) then would be good to have this as wel... still considering...

HampiK, do you remember that old saying 'buyer beware'?. I think they must have been referencing insurance or used car sales!?

Jokes aside...I wanted to contribute my recent experience with BUPA. My partner and I purchased BUPA Platinum cover, and we opted not to take the Outpatient Cover because we were primarily concerned with having emergencies covered.

Unfortunately we experienced an emergency soon afterwards when I fell ill with food poisoning so my partner hauled me off to our local private hospital. We had only just initiated the policy and paid for it in full on friday, so we did not have a BUPA card to present on the Sunday we went hospital. The nurse who greeted us at the hospital directed us to the Internal Medicine counter. I saw a nurse who checked my vital signs. Followed quickly by a consultation with a GP who was concerned I may have had Appendicitis. She ordered a blood test and an ultrasound. I also saw a Surgeon for a physical examination. Once the Surgeon determined my appendix was fine I was referred back to the GP. The GP wrote a report and a prescription, I had it filled and dashed back home. In the middle of the tests and consultations I rang BUPA and was treated very poorly by a rather officious Customer Service Representative. He gleefully informed me that I did not have a policy because the policy number the Assistant Branch Manager had told me to quote did not exist. To which he added that I could not just present in hospital and ask for blood tests and such without having Outpatient Cover. I tried in vain to explain that I simply did not ask for any tests, these were what the GP requested. Trust me, I could think of 100 other things I would rather have spent 3 hours doing on a Sunday morning had I been feeling fit and healthy! I also attempted to submit a claim at the hospitals insurance counter. But again the policy number was not recognised there either. So, next business day we went to our local BUPA office to discuss what had happened with the Assistant Branch Manager. I was informed that because the policy was less than 30 days old we could not claim on anything other than an accident. Again, I attempted to explain that I could not afford to wait 30 days lest I die from food poisoning at home while waiting for my policy to be ready to claim on. Again, we were met with indifference regarding what constitutes an emergency according to BUPA, and given superfluous photocopies of policy documentation, which we all ready had, specifically to underline that we shouldn't bother trying to claim in this instance. It is also worth mentioning that it was pretty embarrassing telling hospital staff that I had insurance that did not actually exist at that point in time, despite the fact that we had paid in full for our policy 2 days prior, and been given the policy number to quote.

We were very disheartened by all of this as it seems emergency only refers to accident. My advice would be that you had better arrive at hospital in an ambulance if you don't have BUPA Out Patient cover!

I've no doubt that BUPA are probably one of our best options here. Just be very careful which policy you decide upon, because they don't come cheap. I do regret not asking more specific questions.

What I see important:

yes you may get a guarantee that you won't be kicked out at 65 or 80. No, they won't guarantee that the premiums will go up so steeply that from one year to another you can no longer afford it. Small print may contain stuff like 'the company reserves the right to... at any time', Like the poster above I have a combination of the cheapest Thai health Insurance together with 'self insurance', plus a repatriation insurance. Not available or possible to everyone.

What I see important:

HampiK, do you remember that old saying 'buyer beware'?. I think they must have been referencing insurance or used car sales!?

Jokes aside...I wanted to contribute my recent experience with BUPA. My partner and I purchased BUPA Platinum cover, and we opted not to take the Outpatient Cover because we were primarily concerned with having emergencies covered.

Unfortunately we experienced an emergency soon afterwards when I fell ill with food poisoning so my partner hauled me off to our local private hospital. We had only just initiated the policy and paid for it in full on friday, so we did not have a BUPA card to present on the Sunday we went hospital. The nurse who greeted us at the hospital directed us to the Internal Medicine counter. I saw a nurse who checked my vital signs. Followed quickly by a consultation with a GP who was concerned I may have had Appendicitis. She ordered a blood test and an ultrasound. I also saw a Surgeon for a physical examination. Once the Surgeon determined my appendix was fine I was referred back to the GP. The GP wrote a report and a prescription, I had it filled and dashed back home. In the middle of the tests and consultations I rang BUPA and was treated very poorly by a rather officious Customer Service Representative. He gleefully informed me that I did not have a policy because the policy number the Assistant Branch Manager had told me to quote did not exist. To which he added that I could not just present in hospital and ask for blood tests and such without having Outpatient Cover. I tried in vain to explain that I simply did not ask for any tests, these were what the GP requested. Trust me, I could think of 100 other things I would rather have spent 3 hours doing on a Sunday morning had I been feeling fit and healthy! I also attempted to submit a claim at the hospitals insurance counter. But again the policy number was not recognised there either. So, next business day we went to our local BUPA office to discuss what had happened with the Assistant Branch Manager. I was informed that because the policy was less than 30 days old we could not claim on anything other than an accident. Again, I attempted to explain that I could not afford to wait 30 days lest I die from food poisoning at home while waiting for my policy to be ready to claim on. Again, we were met with indifference regarding what constitutes an emergency according to BUPA, and given superfluous photocopies of policy documentation, which we all ready had, specifically to underline that we shouldn't bother trying to claim in this instance. It is also worth mentioning that it was pretty embarrassing telling hospital staff that I had insurance that did not actually exist at that point in time, despite the fact that we had paid in full for our policy 2 days prior, and been given the policy number to quote.

We were very disheartened by all of this as it seems emergency only refers to accident. My advice would be that you had better arrive at hospital in an ambulance if you don't have BUPA Out Patient cover!

I've no doubt that BUPA are probably one of our best options here. Just be very careful which policy you decide upon, because they don't come cheap. I do regret not asking more specific questions.

Even with outpatient covet you would not have been covered here, too close to policy start date for illness.

Sorry if this is little off topic but this url is useful. It gives the better picture of the various rough hospital fees (low, high & median costs).

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/realcost-thailand-surgery

better picture ????

are their prices really the average in thailand ?

are the most tourists/expats in thailand billionaires (in usd or eur) ????

The only sure thing about the insurance 'horror stories' on ThaiVisa is that you only get to hear one side of the story.

Perhaps you are unable to comprehend my post? ''I know', not 'I read on some internet forum' huh.png

What I see important:

Your case is simply one of tough luck. You were inside the 30 days. Next time, simply take some Cyfloxin.

Daguerreotype

I think the claim is going to be refused. Because we did not buy Outpatient Cover. That's the real problem. Well that and my situation did not constitute an emergency according to BUPAs definition. So it's tough luck all around as you say.

Edited by Dassie

Perhaps you are unable to comprehend my post? ''I know', not 'I read on some internet forum' huh.png

Yes -- and you did not state the reason why the insurer said the claims were denied.

Edited by JLCrab

Sorry if this is little off topic but this url is useful. It gives the better picture of the various rough hospital fees (low, high & median costs).

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/realcost-thailand-surgery

better picture ????

are their prices really the average in thailand ?

are the most tourists/expats in thailand billionaires (in usd or eur) ????

No, these prices are based on Bumrungrad prices only, which happens to be about the most expensive hospital in Thailand.

It can be a hell of a lot cheaper, 1/10th will be no exception.

In 2005 I contacted Eric Dohlon of Insurance in Thailand based in Phuket. I was moving to Buriram province. I compared a family policy of BUPA Platinum and Thai Health Insurance. Eric is fluent in both Thai and English and is a licensed insurance broker who was born in Thailand and educated at the American School in Bangkok. My wife and I have had procedures performed at several famous Bangkok hospitals including Bumrungrad with our in patient health insurance from Thai Health Insurance. The policy I bought was not quite enough for a private room at Bumrungrad, but it covered 100% of the minor in patient medical procedures. In 2007 Eric showed me how BUPA represented a better cover at a lower price for my family. I have been a BUPA in patient policy holder since 2007.

Without any family discounts, for a male born in 1954, for the 2 million baht per illness, (not a cap per year) Platinum policy, before any no claims rebates, I paid 57,174 baht in 2012. In 2013 I paid 59,933 baht. In 2014 I paid 60,097 baht. As I turned 61 in 2015 my premium went up (as it does every 5 years) to 83,404 baht for the policy. Worth it to me as I have seen bills from Bumrungrad and Bangkok Christian Hospital.

I filled in the online application form for the insurance given in the OP - http://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/product_simply_eng.php Having heard nothing back for several days I gave them a call. I was first told 'there was no one there to deal with my query' (?!) and someone would call back. Someone did saying an SMS had been sent the previous day, it hadn't. I then told them I'd seen their local branch on Phuket and would deal direct. I was told they didn't have an office on Phuket and to send them a copy of my passport and the premium. I sent them a link to Thai Life. The logo is identical, save for the colour, but do take into account that many companies copy each other's names/logos, how many 'Smile' dentists are there for instance?

Bearing in mind I'd been first ignored then lied to, has anyone actually had any positive experience with this company given in the link? I do note there are only certain hospitals who will deal with these insurance companies and a list is neither given nor 'other exclusions', this whilst they've already had your money ..

Edited by dageurreotype

The two years I paid premiums to Thai Health Insurance Company, through my broker in Phuket, it was for the Wealthy Healthy Policy and not the simply healthy plan. If you read up on the Thai health insurance companies, you can be sure which hospitals are direct pay, and what hospitals are excluded from a reimbursement. No shortage of people who speak English that sell health insurance in Thailand. Maybe not ever person selling insurance is a licensed broker.