New Fortuner: Roomier and more appealing with better performance

webfact

AUTO REVIEW
New Fortuner: Roomier and more appealing with better performance

KINGSLEY WIJAYASINHA
THE NATION

30268907-01_big.jpg

TOYOTA'S LATEST PPV FEATURES A HOST OF IMPROVEMENTS - ESPECIALLY IN DESIGN AND PERFORMANCE - OVER ITS PREDECESSOR, AND THOUGH IT MIGHT HAVE A DRAWBACK OR TWO, IT IS CAPABLE OF CHALLENGING MORE EXPENSIVE LUXURY SUVs

The navigation system has been well-developed, with nice graphics and functions. And in my opinion, one of the best things that Toyota has done with its electronics is to offer Thai language in the vehicle settings menu. There's a lot of Thai customers who don't read English and this will help them to correctly set up their vehicles.

The Fortuner is available with a very large choice of engines, both old and new. The model I drove came with the latest 2.8-litre turbocharged diesel capable of pumping out 177 horsepower and 450Nm, a big improvement over the old 3.0-litre engine with just 163hp and 343Nm. Transmission is now a 6-speed auto compared to the dull 4-speed auto in the previous model.

Performance-wise you will easily feel the improvement, with the large and flat torque giving the Fortuner great flexibility and overtaking. This is a new- generation Toyota engine with automatic stop-start function and variable nozzle turbocharger, but a good amount of engine noise still enters the cabin.

All new Fortuners come with 18inch alloy wheels (it would look funny with smaller wheels due to the mammoth size of the thing) with 265/60 tyres that hint about its off-road capability.

The Fortuner comes with the Sigma4 4WD system offering twowheel-drive, four-wheel drive high and four-wheel drive low, plus various electronic driver assistance systems including HAC (Hill-start Assist Control) and DAC (Downhill Assist Cotrol) and A-TRC (Active Traction Control). It also comes with TSC (Trailer Sway Control) that adjusts suitable brake pressure and engine output when driving with a trailer and experiencing strong cross winds.

Despite being based on a pickup platform, the Fortuner gets suspension improvements to improve ride comfort. The front double wishbone and rear 4-link suspension both come with stabilisers as well.

The multi- function steering wheel, which looks like it has been taken from a sports car, provides a beefy feel and is more communicative than the outgoing model's.

While the first- gen Fortuner was heavily criticised for its poor braking performance, Toyota has made sure the mistake is not repeated. The front disc and rear drum set-up, with ABS ( Anti- lock Braking System), BA (Brake Assist) and EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution), may not match a 4-way disc set-up in terms of stopping performance, but there are cost and durability benefits.

While the new Fortuner has what it takes to remain as the most popular PPV in the market, the retail pricing has also gone up dramatically. You can't get one with Bt1 million in your purse these days, and the starting price is Bt1.199 million for the 2.4G 2WD manual, peaking at Bt1.599 million for the flagship 2.8V 4WD automatic featured here. Competition is also stronger than ever, with the new Ford Everest and Mitsubishi Pajero Sport winning large numbers of customers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/New-Fortuner-Roomier-and-more-appealing-with-bette-30268907.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-16

Fortuners; have been, are and will continue to be...........................................................driven by arse holes

Mine's the biggest car so get outta my way!

Harsh... But... perhaps its because of the numbers of them on the roads and their size.

Fortuner's are easy to spot, they fill up the rear-view mirror...

When a Fortuner driver is driving aggressively its easy to notice, easy to feel intimidated due to their size - its easy to draw the opinion that all Forturners are driven by a-holes. When in reality, there are probably an equal number of Honda Jazz's or Toyota Vios' being driven by a-holes, however, we just don't notice them.

I have no doubt that they are many a-holes in Fortuna's on the roads, but I try not to let my mind be manipulated by the ubiquity and size - there are a-holes on the road in many different vehicles.

Now.. the looks of the new Fortuna??? some will like it, eye of the beholder etc... but wow, IMO its fugly...

The article starts by complimenting the GPS, a hint there is not much significant to talk about.

Another clue - the comparisons with the previous model are referring to the 163 hp 4 speed model from 2010. The more recent 171 hp, 5 speed model must be a bit too close.

Then there is the bizarre paragraph about the brakes - Yeah the old model had dodgy brakes but wait.... the new model has cheap brakes! Now there's an attractive selling point. facepalm.gif

Edited by Jitar

What about the roomier comment? The only increased dimension is the front overhang biggrin.png

Let's not mention those 3rd row seats either, ROFL, or the loss of full-time 4WD that the old model had, because this thing now needs to be positioned well below it's Prado brother for the Aussie market.

Definitely one for the unapologetic Toyota fans only. The PJS and Everest are where the smart money will be going.

What more expensive SUV would it be challenging BTW? The Everest is the only PPV that has a shot at that.

Edited by IMHO

Fortuners; have been, are and will continue to be...........................................................driven by arse holes

Harsh... But... perhaps its because of the numbers of them on the roads and their size.

When a Fortuner driver is driving aggressively its easy to notice, easy to feel intimidated due to their size - its easy to draw the opinion that all Forturners are driven by a-holes. When in reality, there are probably an equal number of Honda Jazz's or Toyota Vios' being driven by a-holes, however, we just don't notice them.

I have no doubt that they are many a-holes in Fortuna's on the roads, but I try not to let my mind be manipulated by the ubiquity and size - there are a-holes on the road in many different vehicles.

Now.. the looks of the new Fortuna??? some will like it, eye of the beholder etc... but wow, IMO its fugly...

There are also a lot of SUV rides on the road as well, but Tuna Man has won Nob Head of the Year Award ever since it was introduced.Every bloody time ,and we all cant be wrong.

People who make all-encompassing, prejudicial statements........a-holes.

Edited by giddyup

There are also a lot of SUV rides on the road as well, but Tuna Man has won Nob Head of the Year Award ever since it was introduced.Every bloody time ,and we all cant be wrong.

Agreed - I was trying to apply balance... but I do see a lot of 'Tunas' driving like nob-heads...

Can we have a 'dumb-b!tch' of the year award for the girls who cut you up... On their phone, hello kitty numberplate in a Vios or Jazz.

Apologies: Thread going off topic.

The article starts by complimenting the GPS, a hint there is not much significant to talk about.

Another clue - the comparisons with the previous model are referring to the 163 hp 4 speed model from 2010. The more recent 171 hp, 5 speed model must be a bit too close.

Then there is the bizarre paragraph about the brakes - Yeah the old model had dodgy brakes but wait.... the new model has cheap brakes! Now there's an attractive selling point. facepalm.gif

So, the brakes with drums at the rear wheels remain inadequate for the weight of this SUV. This is really scary because I will know that the Fortuner drivers sticking at a maximum of 5 metres from my rear bumper at highway speed will remain unable to stop in time once I have to step on the brakes in my 12 year old 1100 kg sedan with disc brakes all around!

So, the brakes with drums at the rear wheels remain inadequate for the weight of this SUV. This is really scary because I will know that the Fortuner drivers sticking at a maximum of 5 metres from my rear bumper at highway speed will remain unable to stop in time once I have to step on the brakes in my 12 year old 1100 kg sedan with disc brakes all around!

What's the difference than a pickup with ton of concrete in the back? They all have drum rear brakes as well.

yes but why i never see bmw or benz driver driving aggressively ?

Yet another bag-o-crap from Toyota. The Thais will love it.

Another Ford guy with a tow rope in the glove box..........laugh.png

Good one mate tongue.png

However, I can see a use-case for it... The new Tuna's part-time 4WD disables traction control in 4L, so Everest drivers with their far superior Terrain Command 4WD systems might want to keep one handy in order to help out stuck Fortuner drivers. It would certainly be the compassionate thing to do tongue.png

I suppose Everest owners could also use one to help out the state railway too:

You wouldn't keep it in the glove box BTW - that's for storing your 16" laptop - you'd store it in the roomy storage box behind the 3rd row seats. Fortuner driver's can't do that, such a thing does not exist in their car wink.png

Edited by IMHO

Regards the OP what a load of tosh.

I see that the usual Div Noddy car drivers have come out of the woodwork, putting in their usual crap about Tuna drivers with nothing about the car that the OP was about.

Some even mentioning their size point of interest the old/new Revo is a lot higher and some 40cm longer than the new Tuna.

I have owned a Tuna Spivo for 6 years if that makes me a nob head so be it. But I know what I would rather be in in an accident I chose a tank rather than a Noddy car.

6 years ago what was there to buy if you wanted a large reliable estate car well nothing other than a Tuna.

Toyota had a great chance to make the all new model something special did they well NO.

They have improved the air bags excellent, a bit more power, a few gimmicky bit's push button start what wrong with turning a key, but other than that nothing.

Should have had rear discs, folding rear seats, not a problem if your like me just take them out 4 bolts that's left me with just what I wanted. But still having the old set up very very poor.

The early one like mine could have done with a bit more power a chip would do that. Upgrade the brakes also easy albeit not cheap 40,000bt, then your left with a half decent lump that does the job.

The new Tuna now has a lot of competition with the new Ford being the main one. Sorry to say that it's now just a much of a muchness.

There was talk about a new Sportivo with a 3.2 engine, now that might be worth looking at if it ever materialised.

What are you now left with, Ford looks fine, but if it's anything like there Ranger down on reliability after sales service, Mitsu cheap but also down on build quality compare their seats. MUX also lacks on what they don't/cant have on their new model cruse control etc. Isuzu all are now so similar it's toss a coin.

Will I be changing my old Tuna for anything that's new on the market now well a big fat NO.

What's the difference than a pickup with ton of concrete in the back? They all have drum rear brakes as well.

Of course, that's even worse, but we are talking about Fortuner and their drivers here, aren't we?

So what motor do you drive Miss Daisey.????? You must have been overtaken many many times by a Fortuner.???? It might be you thats the problem not the other driver in the Fortuner.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Of course, that's even worse, but we are talking about Fortuner and their drivers here, aren't we?

He was talking about tailgating Fortuners with drum brakes. I was pointing out that it's no worse than tailgating pickups, or tailgating anything for that matter. Selecting Fortuner drivers as riding everyones bumpers is just plain ridiculous. I have had more sedans tailgate me than any Fortuner.

Nothing like a well thought out and reasoned comment to lift the quality of the thread......... :)

When you reach the time in your life when you are financially secure, so is your wife for the future ... maybe spend some money ... but you are right ... not on one of those ...but an EV T+ ... now you are talking.

That is of course if you can find out where Ford are hiding them ....

Edited by JAS21

When you reach the time in your life when you are financially secure, so is your wife for the future ... maybe spend some money ... but you are right ... not on one of those ...but an EV T+ ... now you are talking.

Based on anecdotal info from some Thai language websites I visit, I guess about 10% of delivered Titanium+ models are currently parked in my garage :D

Agree with everything you say Fredbo. Also a Sportivo owner of 6 year standing. Khunano, you might find me overtaking you but I'll never be sitting on yer @rse for more than a couple of seconds before dropping back or overtaking. 48 years accident-free driving so far (unless you count lazy-sod parking bumps)!

Looks like the kind of makeover most manufacturers would do every 3 years or so rather than a new model.

Would like the 6 stage auto gears mind.

I don't see anything about fuel economy in the write-ups. I'm presuming the increased performance comes at some cost at the pumps? It was always possible to chip-up the old Tuna to get more oomph (losing the odd km per litre), but I never found it necessary

Like you Fredbo I would not be tempted to refresh my old one (that has done 160,000 sterling km for me). Maybe if its starts misbehaving, but nothing has gone wrong since I bought it and every $hit-kicker town in Isaan has a Toyota dealer to grease it up extraordinarily cheaply every 10,000km.

Perhaps we can find an engineer to design and produce some easy release levers/screws for our drop-down back seats - I'd pay serious money for those if well-designed.

If the top-of-range model is only 1.6m that's pretty good going by Toyota - my old one cost 1.43m. Inflation of less than 2% pa. But I guess the equivalent bells & whistles Sportivo (trade mark flashes?!) hasn't yet been put on the market.

Based on anecdotal info from some Thai language websites I visit, I guess about 10% of delivered Titanium+ models are currently parked in my garage biggrin.png

Very unfortunately you are almost 'spot on'. I went to bend my sellers ear yesterday ... he said 'everyone' is phoning me every day. He also said that the Dealer had that day gone to see FORD and for me to e-mail and complain ...........

All the T+ are going to Aussie Land ... he did have a couple of 3.2L ones there.

Based on anecdotal info from some Thai language websites I visit, I guess about 10% of delivered Titanium+ models are currently parked in my garage biggrin.png

Very unfortunately you are almost 'spot on'. I went to bend my sellers ear yesterday ... he said 'everyone' is phoning me every day. He also said that the Dealer had that day gone to see FORD and for me to e-mail and complain ...........

All the T+ are going to Aussie Land ... he did have a couple of 3.2L ones there.

From what I see around, bookings are mostly split between the 2.2L Titanium, and the 3.2L Titanium+ I don't see lots of takers for the 3.2L Titanium.

It looks like Ford TH guessed the 2.2L would be the volume seller, followed by the 3.2L Titanium, with not much sales for the T+ - but as it turns out, it's more like a 50/5/45 split. Understandable too, considering many are stepping up from PJS's and Fortuner's - and for them the 2.2L would be more sideways than it would be up - and the mid-spec misses out on some key features for those upgrading from an existing PPV, like DRL's (mandatory for street cred), electric tailgate, electric 3rd row seats, electric passenger chair, reversing camera, and to a lesser extent, the moonroof and the other features it gets.

Agree with everything you say Fredbo. Also a Sportivo owner of 6 year standing. Khunano, you might find me overtaking you but I'll never be sitting on yer @rse for more than a couple of seconds before dropping back or overtaking. 48 years accident-free driving so far (unless you count lazy-sod parking bumps)!

Looks like the kind of makeover most manufacturers would do every 3 years or so rather than a new model.

Would like the 6 stage auto gears mind.

I don't see anything about fuel economy in the write-ups. I'm presuming the increased performance comes at some cost at the pumps? It was always possible to chip-up the old Tuna to get more oomph (losing the odd km per litre), but I never found it necessary

Like you Fredbo I would not be tempted to refresh my old one (that has done 160,000 sterling km for me). Maybe if its starts misbehaving, but nothing has gone wrong since I bought it and every $hit-kicker town in Isaan has a Toyota dealer to grease it up extraordinarily cheaply every 10,000km.

Perhaps we can find an engineer to design and produce some easy release levers/screws for our drop-down back seats - I'd pay serious money for those if well-designed.

If the top-of-range model is only 1.6m that's pretty good going by Toyota - my old one cost 1.43m. Inflation of less than 2% pa. But I guess the equivalent bells & whistles Sportivo (trade mark flashes?!) hasn't yet been put on the market.

According to Toyota, the new 2.8L uses about 10% less fuel than the old 3.0L. It is a better engine - no doubt - it's quieter, smoother and slightly more responsive - but as an overall package that's probably going to cost you 800K+ to get into (after trade in), just not worth it, IMHO.

800K changeover for the EV T+? that's a slightly different angle - there you're getting a 4WD system normally only found on the likes of Range Rover, you're getting a level of refinement and comfort that belongs in a higher class, infinitely better styling and design (subjective, yes), and more safety features than any non-imported car on Thai roads..... But, it wears a Ford badge.

Review of new car? Rather a brown envelope from Toyota. The " very large choice of engines" would be the two old ones and the new 2.8 then. Three is a small number. Don't care, will never buy one. Triton drivers the most aggressive, Fortuner drivers the worst.