Border Run Alternatives

8 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

Also, I kinda planned on coming back to Thailand after Christmas in Aus, but it looks like I may have to stay home for a while :(

Maybe, start coming back in NEW YEAR 2018 - should at least the Visa exempt entries start a new count?

:wink:

5 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

Indeed, so, all in all, it really comes down to the specific IO to do something about it? 

Yes, only I read here, the 2 allowed Land border entries a year are really enforced? 

Mix up the Consulates you going to, to get a Visa. Before you pay 5.000 Baht for change of flight dates - if necessary because of Thai consulate closing, I would buy new tickets for approximately same price and let a Visa Agent in Phnom Penh do the donkey work - all want their share there from small fee - so maybe more likely to get a TV. 

8 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

Since October 2016(when I arrived) I have used 2 SETVs and 4 visa exempts.

Before that, I was in Aus for 6 months.

I have been coming to Thailand on and off for 5 years though, So I have quite a few exempt stamps from over the years.

I used to stay in that way in Thailand for many years - from 1998 - 2002 and not beeing 50+ 

different times - until I got first Thai child in 2002 and they changed to a Non Immigrant O possible for Falang fathers in 2009? 

Anyway - today more tight. 

Edited by ALFREDO

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You should be able to apply on the morning of October 24th and pick up the visa on the afternoon of the 25th, or am I misunderstanding the dates of your intended visit to Yangon?

Yep, that is exactly what I am hoping to do. I am in Yangon from the 22nd to the 27th-morning, I am looking forward to Myanmar, seems a little different compared to her neighbours. Thanks again for your reply. :)

On 9/22/2017 at 8:23 PM, ALFREDO said:

Maybe, start coming back in NEW YEAR 2018 - should at least the Visa exempt entries start a new count?  :wink:

Unfortunately, no - they don't start a new count - that we know of.  We also don't know if a year away takes away the "long-term Farang" label, either - but do have at least one case of a fellow gone for 7 months, with a longer-stay history, who was interrogated upon his return for "suspicion of working illegally" - proving that the actual point of these interrogations/denials has exactly "zero" to do with illegal-working.

Yes, only I read here, the 2 allowed Land border entries a year are really enforced? 

Yes, it is.  Only applies to Visa-Exempt entries, though.

Mix up the Consulates you going to, to get a Visa. Before you pay 5.000 Baht for change of flight dates - if necessary because of Thai consulate closing, I would buy new tickets for approximately same price and let a Visa Agent in Phnom Penh do the donkey work - all want their share there from small fee - so maybe more likely to get a TV.

Agree that agents are the way to go in Phnom Penh, but be sure and call your agent before planning your trip, and see what the turn-around time is now.  Last month, my agent in Phnom Penh told me "no more speed-up service" - so submit Monday (give paperwork to your agent Sunday is best), and get your passport w/stamp back on Thursday afternoon.   It is possible some other agents are still able to do it more quickly, and hopefully others will confirm.

48 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Unfortunately, no - they don't start a new count - that we know of.  

Agree that agents are the way to go in Phnom Penh, but be sure and call your agent before planning your trip, and see what the turn-around time is now.  

"NEW YEAR 2018 - should at least the Visa exempt entries start a new count?"

When 2 landborder - Visa exempt entries and possibly 6 - Visa exempt entries all together, are in a year allowed,

they have to have - a new count - yearly. :wink:

Phnom Penh - I am not in a hurry anyway - so 3 days or a week - for some not the problem.  

I not have to be back to work in TH in time and I am not a henpecked husband! lol  :tongue:

14 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

When 2 landborder - Visa exempt entries and possibly 6 - Visa exempt entries all together, are in a year allowed,

they have to have - a new count - yearly. :wink:

The 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year does go back to zero at the end of the year.

The 6 entries total by air alert that a immigration officers gets does not reset. The alert is only meant to inform them they should check the type of visa exempt entries they are. For example are they out/in trips to get a new entry.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, superglue said:

According to my understanding visa runs are against the spirit of the law. 

That depends upon what you mean by visa runs.

A true visa run to get a new visa at a embassy or consulate is not a problem.

A out/in trip to get a new visa exempt entry is abusing the right to get them.

Yeah honestly I told my misses before coming over to stay here longer I should go outside for at least a week before coming back, so I don't do in/outs like I did the last 2 times. The in/out looks very suss from what I gather, most likely why I got questioned because he mentioned straight up I went and came back quickly

3 hours ago, superglue said:

I was referring to the out-in visa run.

I have recollections of busloads going to Masai.

I prefer to call them border runs since a person in reality does not get a visa. Many of them are not solely to get a new visa exempt entry since others are to get a new entry from a multiple entry visa of some kind.

Before the 2 visa exempt entry per calendar rule went into effect Mae Sai was not allowing a crossing unless it was with a valid visa for re-entry.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I prefer to call them border runs since a person in reality does not get a visa. Many of them are not solely to get a new visa exempt entry since others are to get a new entry from a multiple entry visa of some kind.

Before the 2 visa exempt entry per calendar rule went into effect Mae Sai was not allowing a crossing unless it was with a valid visa for re-entry.

I suggest that you are being pedantic Joe.

The practical effect is similar.

I have known people use border runs so that they do not need to pay for the retirement visa guarantee or they lack the funds.

1 hour ago, Mickster58 said:

Does anyone know/think it will be ok to show the IO an actual live session of your bank account. Meaning login to your online banking on your phone and show them the current balance? 

If they ask you to show cash/travelers' checks, you can be quite sure they will accept no substitutes. Your question has been asked many, many times in various forms. As a practical matter, very few are actually asked. Only if looking for a way to deny you entry will they demand you show them the funds. If the official looking for such an excuse, it is delusional to hope they will accept anything other than precisely what is asked for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, superglue said:
22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I suggest that you are being pedantic Joe.

The practical effect is similar.

I have known people use border runs so that they do not need to pay for the retirement visa guarantee or they lack the funds.

I agree with @ubonjoe that it is better to use an unambiguous term. Sometimes, it does not matter, but we are continuously asking for clarification to avoid giving the posters advice that may be wrong for their specific situations (entry with visa, visa exempt entry, entry with reentry permit, misguided view that border immigration can extend existing permission to stay etc.) all of which have been referred to as "visa run".

1 hour ago, superglue said:

So the spirit of the law is irrelevant?

There is a police-order regarding Visa-Exempt entries which applies.  Unfortunately, it is not defined with enough precision to inform both IOs and visitors, such that everyone knows precisely when the line has been crossed from "ok" to "not ok."   Ironically, what is described in the police-order are not actually "runs for a visa" - yet "visa run" is referenced as the farang-description of the activity in the order, due to popular (incorrect) use of the term. 

Using Visa-Exempts to leave/enter Thailand can lead to problems if entering by air, due to enforcement by Airport Immigration.  The IO and their supervisor have been reported to say all sorts of things which are neither in the law nor the police-order - but the actual legal reason for refusing entry stamped in the foreigner's passport is either "didn't have the money" or "coming to work illegally" - which are the closest "laws" (vs police-orders) which exist and could theoretically be used to justify the action.

As far as land-borders, now that the 2-per-year visa-exempt entry rule is in effect, this seems to have become the primary basis for IO's decisions at those checkpoints, rather than guesswork as to what the "spirit" of the police-order regarding "visa runs" (sic) is - though there were some unspecific (3rd hand) reports regarding Southern (Malaysian) crossings, suggesting the need for a night-out before returning.  Visa-Exempt entries are marked (1) and (2) - and after #2, it's game-over for another land-border visa-exempt entry in that calendar year. 

But, neither of these 2 "visa exempt" cases (air and land) should be confused with Tourist-Visa entries, or obtaining Multi-Entry Visa "new entries" - of which no restriction have been referenced in the law or police-orders.

So I ended up changing my flights for quite cheap to Myanmar. I now leave with time to spare to get the embassy for a thai visa. Do you think it would be better to try and get a cheap flight maybe to KL then back into phuket(as that is where im staying) to avoid the don meung airport immigration? Maybe it is worth the extra 2500-3000 baht.

20 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

So I ended up changing my flights for quite cheap to Myanmar. I now leave with time to spare to get the embassy for a thai visa. Do you think it would be better to try and get a cheap flight maybe to KL then back into phuket(as that is where im staying) to avoid the don meung airport immigration? Maybe it is worth the extra 2500-3000 baht.

Probably not worth the extra cost. Immigration at the airport in Phuket can be just as bad if not worse than Don Mueang.

You should not have a problem on entry since you will have a visa for entry.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I was on a METV earlier this yearand I went back to Australia for a week before it expired. I re-entered Thailand on a visa free 30 days which expires next week but I want to stay till November. I realize I can go to Jomtien immigration (I'm near Pattaya ) and pay 1900 baht but am wondering if I go to the Cambodian border at Hat Lek do I actually need to enter Cambodia or can I just exit Thailand and re-enter again without paying for a Cambodian visa. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

41 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

Hi. I was on a METV earlier this yearand I went back to Australia for a week before it expired. I re-entered Thailand on a visa free 30 days which expires next week but I want to stay till November. I realize I can go to Jomtien immigration (I'm near Pattaya ) and pay 1900 baht but am wondering if I go to the Cambodian border at Hat Lek do I actually need to enter Cambodia or can I just exit Thailand and re-enter again without paying for a Cambodian visa. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This question is asked often. You must enter Cambodia officially before returning to Thailand. There is no way of avoiding the cost of a Cambodian visa.

My US boyfriend get the "Red Stamp" from Penang last month for his 3rd TV.

We surprised that the red stamp was issued by them too soon, didn't expected to get it from just 2 times back to back TVs from Penang (the 1st one is from Vientien). This clearly shows that Penang consulate counts total number of TVs he has in PP for consideration. They doesn't count only the number of TVs issued by them.

They also wrote a note in hand writing on his visa - "6th TR".  

I wondered what is the "6th TR" mean so I looked up all his PP and found that it matches with the number of his Thailand entry record since he come here in Nov, 2016 even after he went back to US for 7 months. If he use the visa, it is his 6th entry to Thailand. So I assume it is the meaning.

He passed through the IO at DMK airport without any question anyway. (Always have 20K THB in pocket and flight out of Thailand booking.)

His Thailand entry records since his first entry in Nov, 2016 (with the 7 months away) are as following.

- 4 x Visa Exemptions by Air

- 1 x Visa Exemption by Land (Poipet Border in Jan, 2017)

- 3 x TVS with the red stamp (1 from Vientien + 2 from Penang) 

- 2 blank pages left in PP

He wants to stay here a bit longer but since he got the red stamp, it makes thing more difficult. 

We are interested in border run option based on these following reasons;

- He has only 1 Visa exemption by land in 2017 so he still has another chance.

- We don't think he can get a TV from Vientien, or he could?

- We notice if he fly in, this next entry is going to be his 6 Visa exemptions which alerts the IO at the airport.

We base in BKK. Please advice the available options to do border run.

Which are friendly borders for the Visa Exemption in this case?

Any advice?

Big thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, Paduppa said:

Since the 2 visa exempt entries at land borders per calendar year rule went into effect in January most crossing have not been as strict on doing them.

From Bangkok the Ban Laem crossing is a good one to use.

11 minutes ago, Paduppa said:

They also wrote a note in hand writing on his visa - "6th TR".  

"TR" is the abbreviation used for Tourist Visa. 

We don't think he can get a TV from Vientien, or he could?

With the red stamp in his passport I would think it's unlikely. He could try and if declined enter using his second visa exempt entry.

Nong Khai, Ban Laem would be my two choices. Nong Khai is easily done yourself. If you want to go to Ban Laem then this is a popular/reliable visa run company. http://www.thaivisaservice.com

Edited by elviajero

59 minutes ago, elviajero said:

"TR" is the abbreviation used for Tourist Visa.  

Mhmmm... so this means that they counts almost every single entry as TR even those are VisaExempts?

With the red stamp in his passport I would think it's unlikely. He could try and if declined enter using his second visa exempt entry.

I have some thought about that too. Which conculate seems ok to do so? Vientian or Sawannakhet?

And what if he get denied? Will they stamp anything to show that he get denied? 

Nong Khai, Ban Laem would be my two choices. Nong Khai is easily done yourself. If you want to go to Ban Laem then this is a popular/reliable visa run company. http://www.thaivisaservice.com

What do you mean by Nong Khai, is it the friendship bridge? Can we just out/in there? Or better if we stay in Laos for a couple of nights?
And how it works at Ban Laem.

Big thanks :)

1 hour ago, Paduppa said:

Mhmmm... so this means that they counts almost every single entry as TR even those are VisaExempts?

I guess that's possible.

I have some thought about that too. Which conculate seems ok to do so? Vientian or Sawannakhet?

And what if he get denied? Will they stamp anything to show that he get denied? 

Vientiane is the best option. 

Usually, they will just not accept the application. No stamp. If you get as far as submitting the application and paying the fee it's highly unlikely they wouldn't issue the visa.

What do you mean by Nong Khai, is it the friendship bridge? Can we just out/in there? Or better if we stay in Laos for a couple of nights?
And how it works at Ban Laem.

Yes it's a town with one of the friendship bridges.

Yes you can go out,/in but you have to enter Laos before re-entering Thailand.

Spending a couple of nights in Laos probably wouldn't make any difference.

The visa run company organise everything for you. They won't take you to Ban Laem if they think you won't get a new visa exempt entry.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

I am based between Roiet and Mahasarakhan, my 90 day visa runs out end of month. I have been told to do visa run to get visa exempt 30 day as a UK citizen. Is it as simple as getting to Nong Khai , walking across border and then coming back? Do I need to get Loas Visa or is it a Visa exempt country?  New to this. 

I had was interrogated during my last visa run to DMK airport in Bangkok. I had 2 visa exempt entries in 2016, 2 in 2017, with a SETV in between. Basically, I've been living in Thailand half of the time since 2016, but more than that in 2014-15.

I am picking up a new passport Monday.

I want to arrive at DMK without a visa (not convenient to get one now), but I could arrive at CNX if it that's a better choice.

Am I likely to have problems at Immigration in DMK airport?

Thanks!