Border Run Alternatives

many thanks again,

according to ...

Any entry can be extended by 60 days on proof of being the parent of a Thai national. (Birth certificate is enough)

.....i dont even need to do a border run.

has anyone experience in extending a visa exempt stamp with the birth cert. of a minor thai national??

9 hours ago, edgarfriendly said:

many thanks again,

according to ...

Any entry can be extended by 60 days on proof of being the parent of a Thai national. (Birth certificate is enough)

.....i dont even need to do a border run.

has anyone experience in extending a visa exempt stamp with the birth cert. of a minor thai national??

Any type of entry can be extended for 60 days to visit your Thai child. Many have gotten one for a visa exempt entry.

For example if you get a single entry non-o visa you could extend the 90 day entry of it allowing a total stay of almost 5 months before needing another visa.

You will need your child's birth certificate show you as their father plus and a copy of their house book registry to apply for the 60 day extension. Most immigration offices will want your child to be with you when you apply.

A quickie on 60 day extension of stay based on marriage for a non-imm O visa.
I read somewhere that I need to bring House certificate / copy of lease agreement, is that true? And if so, is it OK that I am not written anywhere, cause my wife is the one renting the apartment.

1 minute ago, banglassie said:

A quickie on 60 day extension of stay based on marriage for a non-imm O visa.
I read somewhere that I need to bring House certificate / copy of lease agreement, is that true? And if so, is it OK that I am not written anywhere, cause my wife is the one renting the apartment.

No problem if the rental agreement is in your wife's name. A copy the owners house book and ID card should be attached to it.

On 1/20/2017 at 0:05 PM, ubonjoe said:

No problem if the rental agreement is in your wife's name. A copy the owners house book and ID card should be attached to it.

Is House Book and ID card of the owner of the whole apartment complex? Pretty sure he has no interest in giving us those copies.
I thought my wife's house book and ID card was enough, together with the rental agreement, passport copy, visa copy, arrival card copy and marriage certificate?

3 minutes ago, banglassie said:

Is House Book and ID card of the owner of the whole apartment complex? Pretty sure he has no interest in giving us those copies.
I thought my wife's house book and ID card was enough, together with the rental agreement, passport copy, visa copy, arrival card copy and marriage certificate?

Since it is from a apartment they should accept the rental agreement if the agreement alone if it is in the name of complex.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 5:02 AM, ubonjoe said:

The 15 day entry rule was rescinded on December 31st when the new rule limiting land border entries to 2 per calendar year went into effect. All visa exempt entries are 30 days now.

Wow I'm just seeing this!

Does that include Mae Sai?

I've got a flight to KUL tomorrow (Jan 23), which I believe is refundable. My SETV + extension expires on Jan 24. If possible, I will cancel my flight & take the good ol' Green Bus to Mae Sai... 

4 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Does that include Mae Sai?

It would if Mae Sai allowed a crossing for a visa exempt entry. They do not allow a crossing unless you have a valid visa for re-entry.

You could go to the Chiang Khong crossing to Laos and get 30 day visa exempt entry.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could go to the Chiang Khong crossing to Laos and get 30 day visa exempt entry.

Do you know if there is direct bus service from Chiang Mai?

This might be a viable option, but I would need to deal with all of the logistics today. If my KUL return ticket hadn't been so expensive, I'd just go ahead and fly there, come back & then have 60 days to "figure it out".

I've got the "passport holder comes to Thailand frequently on a Tourist Visa" fine print in my passport with the TV from June, 2015 (I got 3 two-entry TV's in a row from Vientiane during 2014-15). I left Thailand for 6 months, late April, 2016, then returned late October, 2016, with a SETV from HKG, which expires Tuesday.

So this week will be my first visa exempt entry since February of last year.

Thanks!!

Is an additional ticket out of Thailand required for a border run by air?

I will PROBABLY take my flight CNX to KUL, round trip, as the cancellation fee is too high to justify.

But before making a final decision, I wanted to know if I will be able to board my return flight, without a ticket out of Thailand -- I will likely go to Chiang Kong by land in 60 days & do not want to buy a plane ticket I won't use.

The return flight is KUL to BKK, on Bangkok Airways, operated by Malaysia Airlines.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Is an additional ticket out of Thailand required for a border run by air?

I will PROBABLY take my flight CNX to KUL, round trip, as the cancellation fee is too high to justify.

But before making a final decision, I wanted to know if I will be able to board my return flight, without a ticket out of Thailand -- I will likely go to Chiang Kong by land in 60 days & do not want to buy a plane ticket I won't use.

The return flight is KUL to BKK, on Bangkok Airways, operated by Malaysia Airlines.

Thanks!

Immigration will not normally not ask to see a ticket out of the country but the airline may want to see it.

You could buy a one way ticket from anywhere in Thailand to any country. Check Air Asia for a one way ticket.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could buy a one way ticket from anywhere in Thailand to any country. Check Air Asia for a one way ticket.

CNX to KUL and BKK to KUL on Air Asia are each around $100 US -- that's the cheapest international flight out of the country I'm aware of.

I will buy one of those at KUL airport, if required. I originally set up my reservation with a few hours layover, for that purpose.

1 hour ago, Scott3000 said:

CNX to KUL and BKK to KUL on Air Asia are each around $100 US -- that's the cheapest international flight out of the country I'm aware of.

I will buy one of those at KUL airport, if required. I originally set up my reservation with a few hours layover, for that purpose.

greenbus have bus  chiang mai to chiang khong everyday :) 

On 1/3/2016 at 11:39 AM, ubonjoe said:

You could get a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry if you have not done one already.

There is no written limit on visa exempt entries but the immigration officer gets an a alert at 6 entries. He should then check your history of entries and may refer you to another officer for questioning.

You should have no problem doing a out and back in entry. Staying over night does look better.

Do you know over what time-frame the alert at 6 entries comes up?  Is it over a one year period, or the number of entries in your passport?  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Roonietoons said:

Do you know over what time-frame the alert at 6 entries comes up?  Is it over a one year period, or the number of entries in your passport?  Thanks.

I am not aware of any time frame for the 6 entries. It may reset but I am not aware of when.

Be aware that is only when flying in. Since the December 31st only 2 per calendar year are allowed at land border crossings. 

Hi any help will be much appreciated. I got my non o marraige from Savannakhet about 6 weeks ago and need to do my 90 day run in about another 6 weeks. Q: which border post is the nearest to Hua Hin ? I did my last one at Kanchanaburi just before they closed the border for visa runs. Somebody has told me that they are doing visa runs there again without getting a Myanmar visa first. I know i can get a 60 day extension but would prefer to do my first 90 day on a visa run. Any help please.
Kyri.

She will get a 30 day entry. Visa exempt entries by land sea or air are now 30 days. Visa exempt entries by land border crossings are now limited to 2 per calendar year.
She could also extend her 30 day entry at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

I have another friend who entered Thailand at Mae Sot on 25 January after spending 15 days in Burma. He flew from Bangkok to Yangon on January 10. He is a French citizen 27 years old. He got a 30 days entry stamp in his passport when he returned to Thailand by land in Mae Sot.

He will sail on my boat from Phuket to Langkawi and back. Depart Thailand on February 6 in Chalong return to Chalong, Phuket aboard a private sailboat on February 20. He wants to know if that 2nd entry into Thailand by sea will count as his 2nd entry per calender year since it is not at a land border.

1 minute ago, thaisail said:

He will sail on my boat from Phuket to Langkawi and back. Depart Thailand on February 6 in Chalong return to Chalong, Phuket aboard a private sailboat on February 20. He wants to know if that 2nd entry into Thailand by sea will count as his 2nd entry per calender year since it is not at a land border.

They count entries by sea the same as by land.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

my education visa is due to expire at the end of feb. I have been in Thailand for the last year. Will i get a 30 day tourist visa if I do a land crossing into Burma?

Also, if this is possible, which border do you suggest I travel to from Hua-Hin?

Thank you in advance for your help.

3 minutes ago, smokieladdo said:

Hello,

my education visa is due to expire at the end of feb. I have been in Thailand for the last year. Will i get a 30 day tourist visa if I do a land crossing into Burma?

Also, if this is possible, which border do you suggest I travel to from Hua-Hin?

Thank you in advance for your help.

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry not a tourist visa.

Ranong is where most people go to from Hua Hin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry not a tourist visa.

Ranong is where most people go to from Hua Hin.

forgive my ignorance, but why go all the way to Ranong? Are there not suitable land crossings closer to Hua-Hin?

I see on google maps that a lot of the thai/burma border between hua-hin and ranong is mostly national park, wold i be right to assume that there are no border crossings in this area?

If Ranong is the best/only option, does anyone have any pointers for somebody doing a drive and survive trip by themselves? I would much rather drive my own car than get in a minibus with 9 other people and an irate driver. Last time I got the stink eye from the driver asking to stop so I could take a piss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smokieladdo said:

forgive my ignorance, but why go all the way to Ranong? Are there not suitable land crossings closer to Hua-Hin?

I see on google maps that a lot of the thai/burma border between hua-hin and ranong is mostly national park, wold i be right to assume that there are no border crossings in this area?

If Ranong is the best/only option, does anyone have any pointers for somebody doing a drive and survive trip by themselves? I would much rather drive my own car than get in a minibus with 9 other people and an irate driver. Last time I got the stink eye from the driver asking to stop so I could take a piss.

There is nothing closer and not all crossings allow out/in visa exempt entries. Some people from Hua Hin use the Kanchanaburi crossing at Phu Nam Ron, but they don't allow out/in visa exempt entry. That's only an option for people with multiple entry visas.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

There is nothing closer and not all crossings allow out/in visa exempt entries. Some people from Hua Hin use the Kanchanaburi crossing at Phu Nam Ron, but they don't allow out/in visa exempt entry. That's only an option for people with multiple entry visas.

There was a time when a visa exempt entry was possible at Phu Nam Ron. Then, in common with most border crossings with Myanmar, they were discontinued. Certainly, Phu Nam Ron was not allowing border hops for visa exempt entries last year. However, with the new rules on visa exempt entries via land borders, it is possible that this has again changed. There are reports, for instance, that Mae Sot is allowing them again under the new rules.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

There was a time when a visa exempt entry was possible at Phu Nam Ron. Then, in common with most border crossings with Myanmar, they were discontinued. Certainly, Phu Nam Ron was not allowing border hops for visa exempt entries last year. However, with the new rules on visa exempt entries via land borders, it is possible that this has again changed. There are reports, for instance, that Mae Sot is allowing them again under the new rules.

My home is in Kanchanaburi province and not far from that crossing. I'm not currently in Thailand but I haven't heard that anything has changed at Phu Nam Ron.

It is possible that they'll allow out/in visa exempt again, but it is only a small crossing and IMO they will want to keep the number of border hoppers down.

9 minutes ago, llhm2711 said:

Hi. My 1 year extension on my original 90 day non O thai child visa is about to expire. Can I apply at Kap Choeng immigration for a retirement "O" visa with embassy monthly funds letter and other required paperwork?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yes you can. All you need is a 90 day entry from a non-o visa the basis it was issued upon does not matter.

Yes you can. All you need is a 90 day entry from a non-o visa the basis it was issued upon does not matter.

Okay. I will need to go savannakhet to get a 90 O visa first. Then before that expires, apply at kap choeng for a retirement visa. Then before that expires, apply again at kap choeng for a 1 year extension.
Is that correct? Thanks

18 minutes ago, llhm2711 said:

Okay. I will need to go savannakhet to get a 90 O visa first. Then before that expires, apply at kap choeng for a retirement visa. Then before that expires, apply again at kap choeng for a 1 year extension.
Is that correct? Thanks

I you have enough time you could apply for the one year extension of stay with the 90 day entry you have now. You can apply for it at any time during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

There is no retirement visa you would apply for first.

If you needed more time you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child and then apply for the one year extension based upon retirement.

14 minutes ago, llhm2711 said:

Is that correct? Thanks

No.

You have already entered the country with a non immigrant visa so you can apply for an extension of stay for any reason you qualify for. When you renew your permit to stay all you need to do is supply the paperwork for an extension based on retirement.