Border Run Alternatives

39 minutes ago, peibol77 said:

Hi guys.

After being denied entry on a valid ED visa 2 months ago (apparently my school was blacklisted and they didn't believe I was studying) in Suvarnabhumi, I'm planning to return with a Tourist Visa in January. I'm currently in the Philippines and my plan is to get the Tourist Visa in Manila, then fly to either Laos/Cambodia and enter via land crossing.

However my question is this: I see most people recommending Nong Khai as the easiest crossing, but I have read they have fingerprint scanners and thus will see the entire history, which is not ideal (I have a new passport, the previous one was quite full already and it had the denial stamp, so I made a new one... But if they see the entire history, there may be problems again) (Also note that this is the first time I ever had any sort of trouble with immigration: not even one day of overstay previous to this.)

I also hear that Poi Pet is no good, but as far as I know they dont have fingerprint scanners. So I'm wondering what would be the best course of action for me, meaning what crossing would be the best. Maybe another one (not Nong Khai nor Poi Pet)?

Any feedback appreciated!

I don't think you will find a border without fingerprint scanners anymore. I just got back from Mae Sot and they have them there now.

33 minutes ago, Denim said:

I don't think you will find a border without fingerprint scanners anymore. I just got back from Mae Sot and they have them there now.

Indeed, they have been rolled out everywhere.

But even before having fingerprint scanners, they were usually able to link passports and see the whole history. So unless @peibol77 did a name change that the old system might have tripped over, it shouldn't make any difference.

While policies at any entry point are subject to change without notice, historically there have been zero problems entering at Nong Khai with a valid visa. In fact, you could probably still enter there using your valid Non Ed visa. Certainly, with a new tourist visa, you should be absolutely fine.

When denied entry on the Non Ed, what did Suvarnabhumi stamp in your passport as the reason for the denied entry?

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

While policies at any entry point are subject to change without notice, historically there have been zero problems entering at Nong Khai with a valid visa. In fact, you could probably still enter there using your valid Non Ed visa. Certainly, with a new tourist visa, you should be absolutely fine.

When denied entry on the Non Ed, what did Suvarnabhumi stamp in your passport as the reason for the denied entry?

They said "Unable to sustain himself", based on translation by a Thai friend. They never asked me for proof of funds, but denied me entry anyway.

41 minutes ago, peibol77 said:

They said "Unable to sustain himself", based on translation by a Thai friend. They never asked me for proof of funds, but denied me entry anyway.

Having funds on you wouldn’t help. The law includes ตามควร which translates as “appropriate”. Simply put you don’t have a known job or income or money in the bank being an appropriate way to sustain a long stay. 

Edited by elviajero

On 12/20/2019 at 11:48 AM, moskito said:

Guys, REALLY???? do I have to dig here to 101 pages or Ubonjoe can just open a new thread here and close or lock this one??
The first post is from 2015, lots of changes happend since.
cheers

definitely things change. but i remember reading around 10 pages and then posting my question... 

1 hour ago, ELLHNAS said:

Is the Mae Sai border in Chiang Rai a safe border to reset a 90 day entry on a multiple entry type O visa? I have used many borders before but never this one for this job, thanks

Yes it is.

• Thanks 1

Hi!

I bought a one way ticket to Chiang Mai on AirAsia, for early January, after nearly 6 months outside of Thailand. I know I will need another onward ticket to be admitted on the plane, and for the best chance with immigration at the airport. I have a US passport.

Will I be able to just buy a ticket out of Thailand in late February -- when I plan to leave for the hot & rainy seasons (about 5-6 months) -- or do I need a plane ticket departing Thailand within 30 days of arrival?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Scott3000

3 hours ago, Scott3000 said:

Will I be able to just buy a ticket out of Thailand in late February -- when I plan to leave for the hot & rainy seasons (about 5-6 months) -- or do I need a plane ticket departing Thailand within 30 days of arrival?

Normally Air Asia does not ask for a ticket out of the country within 30 days. If needed a low cost one way ticket to any nearby country would be accepted.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Normally Air Asia does not ask for a ticket out of the country within 30 days. If needed a low cost one way ticket to any nearby country would be accepted.

Thanks Ubonjoe!

I actually will buy a low cost ticket out of the country -- back to KUL at the beginning of hot season. I just want to buy that ticket closer to 59 days from date of entry, i.e., late February, so that's what I'll do.

Part of my new immigration plan for Thailand is to mix it up a bit more and not live full time in the kingdom -- and that's exactly what the Thai authorities want -- it's just a matter of getting these little details right. I thought long and hard about crossing the land border on January 2 -- but that seems like I'd be "burning up" a land entry that I'll probably want to use near the end of 2020.

Again, thanks & happy new year!

Hi just a quick question, planning to do a border run to Nong Khai in a couple of weeks for a VE on re-entry (not done any land border entries this year and no VE's) had one METV back in April where i spent 10 weeks in LOS, then re-entered thru swampy in October on a SETV and extended once so current stay expires on 19th Jan.

Should i expect any hassle from the Nong Khai i/o's? (will have copy of my return UK flight on 01st Feb 2020.

Can you do a in/out at Nong Khai as i do not wish to stay in Laos?

Roughly how long does the process take? (as my friend will drive me and wait on Thai side at Nong Khai)

Thank you for any help and Happy New Year.

12 minutes ago, cantaloupe said:

Should i expect any hassle from the Nong Khai i/o's? (will have copy of my return UK flight on 01st Feb 2020.

Can you do a in/out at Nong Khai as i do not wish to stay in Laos?

Roughly how long does the process take? (as my friend will drive me and wait on Thai side at Nong Khai)

You will not have a problem doing a in/out to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

It should not take any more than hour to cross the bridge, enter Laos and come back dependent upon how busy it is.

You could get a Lao visa on arrival online that could save a little time plus no full page visa sticker. See: https://laoevisa.gov.la/index

• Thanks 1

Hi all - planning to do a CELTA in Bangkok starting this Thursday. The course will have me staying in Thailand for 32 days. Unfortunately I do not have a full page spare in my passport (plenty space for stamps - just the immigration officials annoyingly stamping random pages!) so can't get the 60 day visa.

I have a multi-entry business visa for Myanmar.

Is it possible to just fly to Yangon & back on the same day to get a new 30 day tourist visa for Thailand? Or do you need to be out the country for a minimum number of days? Know Cambodia was getting stricter on people staying out of country for at least 24 hours. Cheers

Edited by thaimyanmar

11 minutes ago, thaimyanmar said:

The course will have me staying in Thailand for 32 days. Unfortunately I do not have a full page spare in my passport (plenty space for stamps - just the immigration officials annoyingly stamping random pages!) so can't get the 60 day visa.

You could apply for a 30 day extension of the 30 day visa exempt entry at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, thaimyanmar said:

The course will have me staying in Thailand for 32 days.

You can just extend your visa exempt entry for another 30 days at your preferred immigration office, giving you up to 59 days total before you need to leave Thailand.

Edited by Scott3000
forgot a couple of words :-)

On 11/15/2019 at 3:09 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is no limit on visa exempt entries by air. At land border crossings only 2 are allowed per calendar year.

For Argentinean passport which gets 90 days is just 1 border crossing per year right?

Last week i was not allowed to cross in to Tachileik from Mae Sai. And in 2019 i had just one visa exempt and one tourist visa made in Vientianne. Would i find the same problem at Chiang Khong?

1 hour ago, Eterno said:

For Argentinean passport which gets 90 days is just 1 border crossing per year right?

As far as I know their is no official rule that states it is only 1 per year at a land border crossing. It just a policy of not allowing them at most crossings.

There may be some crossings that would allow more than one if you had spent some time in the other country for some amount of time.

I don't think Chiang Khong would allow one.

1 hour ago, Eterno said:

What do you mean in this two sentences?

Thanks

First is that it is only a immigration policy since it is not in a written rule. 

How about the 2nd one is that Chiang Kong will not allow out/in for a new 90 day visa exempt entry. If you were to travel further into Laos  the for a bit of sightseeing for a week or so they might do it. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

First is that it is only a immigration policy since it is not in a written rule. 

How about the 2nd one is that Chiang Kong will not allow out/in for a new 90 day visa exempt entry. If you were to travel further into Laos  the for a bit of sightseeing for a week or so they might do it. 

I thought cause i am right now under a tourist visa getting a exempt would work.

thank you.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You should generally follow @ubonjoe's guidance and not mine. However, I disagree slightly with his post. I believe there is a written rule (from 2014) which applies. At that time, Immigration was instructed not to allow "visa runs" for visa exempt entry when this resulted in longer visits to Thailand than was compatible with regular tourism. I think it is on this basis that most land crossings have been preventing in/out runs to get a further 90 days for those entitled to 90-day visa exempt entry. That may well be why @ubonjoe advises you that a visa exempt entry by land might be permitted if it is not apparently a "visa run" to just extend your stay in Thailand.

In the end, whatever the exact mechanics, an in/out at Chiang Khong is unlikely to be successful.

57 minutes ago, BritTim said:

However, I disagree slightly with his post. I believe there is a written rule (from 2014) which applies.

That was not really not a rule but a guidance for out/in entries to the country and if recall correctly it was only for standard visa exempt entries and not those from a bilateral agreements. Not even sure it is still valid.

Many people enter at airports and get multiple 90 day entries without a problem. I think the problem is that not many Thais would be able to enter the countries that the bilateral agreements are with by land  and immigration has a problem dealing with them since they were not meant to be done by leaving and re-entering the country on the same day.

If you compare the 30 day entries that Laotians and the 14 day entries for Cambodians get there is no limit on how many they can do at border crossings. I am aware of Thais that do them 2 or more times in week and it is the same for Laotians and Cambodians.

Hello everyone, 

I am a 61y/o German who in October entered Thailand with a 2-month Tourist visa which I extended, so I left Thailand after 90 days on Jan6. Now I am in Hanoi for 4 weeks and I want to go back to Thailand for another 60 or 90 days. What is the smartest way to do it, fly into BKK hoping for the visa exempt 30 days and then go for the extension or purchase a 2 or 3-month tourist visa here in Hanoi? Thanks for your expertise!

5 minutes ago, TravellingExpat said:

What is the smartest way to do it, fly into BKK hoping for the visa exempt 30 days and then go for the extension or purchase a 2 or 3-month tourist visa here in Hanoi? Thanks for your expertise!

Best option is to apply for another single entry tourist visa at the embassy in Hanoi.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 12:10 PM, TravellingExpat said:

Hello everyone, 

I am a 61y/o German who in October entered Thailand with a 2-month Tourist visa which I extended, so I left Thailand after 90 days on Jan6. Now I am in Hanoi for 4 weeks and I want to go back to Thailand for another 60 or 90 days. What is the smartest way to do it, fly into BKK hoping for the visa exempt 30 days and then go for the extension or purchase a 2 or 3-month tourist visa here in Hanoi? Thanks for your expertise!

Get the visa in Hanoi. There isn't probably an easier place to get a visa in the region.