Border Run Alternatives

11 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Wouldn't Ranong be the closest option from Hua Hin?

The post you quoted is from about 4 years ago.

Now that the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing in Kanchanaburi is open again it is he nearest crossing.

• Like 1

Just a warning for South Africans.

I went on Saturday (14th Sep) to Phu Nam Ron Kanchanaburi border with my intention to get a 90 day extension on my NON-O based on marriage.

Had a long back and forth with the Thai immigration side only to be told because of some political reasons all South African passport holders are being denied on the Myanmar side regardless if you are going for a NON-O extension or a tourist.

I was unable to go through the border and made my way to Bangkok to join a visa run service to Cambodia.

Re-posting to inform users.

Edited by ronwel
typo
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 8:59 PM, BritTim said:

Your plan is OK, though immigration at Pedang Besar is reported to have become strict. Another option would be a bus from Khao Lak to Ranong, border bounce there (US$10 for the border pass) and return. No need for an overnight stay. If still in Bangkok, the run to Ban Phun Nam Ron would make sense. If planning a border bounce on the way from Bangkok to Kha0 Lak, I would definitely suggest using Ranong rather than going all the way to Malaysia.

Thanks a lot for the answers to everybody!

How it works in Ranong?

The border pass is like a one day visa?

Have buses from other cities on the south way , like Surat thani?

6 hours ago, David90 said:

Thanks a lot for the answers to everybody!

How it works in Ranong?

The border pass is like a one day visa?

Have buses from other cities on the south way , like Surat thani?

There are multiple ways of doing the border bounce, all by boat. The border pass actually allows staying a few days in the immediate vicinity of Kawthaung should you wish though few choose to do so. The way the locals do the crossing is extremely cheap (50 baht each way when I last did it) but there are frequent rain showers, and I cannot claim the boats feel completely safe. For those with a bit more money to spend, especially if of a nervous disposition, the boat to the Andaman Club Hotel and Club is recommended The return trip, including the Myanmar border pass, is about 950 baht. I think you can get a meal included in that price also if you know how to claim it.

There are buses to Ranong from Bangkok, and many places to catch a bus en route. If you prefer the train, you can alight at Chumpong station from where a bus to Ranong takes about two hours. If coming from the South, there are also buses from Surat Thani (about three hours).

Is there anywhere left that will give you a TV if you've got a bunch in your passport? I picked up the dreaded blue stamp on my last one Sav. I've already got one TV in there from Hanoi and Vein. Been here 9months straight now. 

Back to the spot where im considering extending my stay and getting a new passport after and planning to go back to the states for the holidays. I could do 2 lander border runs but would rather just grab a TV is there is any options left that dont care about visa history. 

2 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

Is there anywhere left that will give you a TV if you've got a bunch in your passport? I picked up the dreaded blue stamp on my last one Sav.

It's the dreaded blue stamp even more so than your history that will prevent you from getting a new SETV at a nearby consulate. Getting a new passport is probably your only option at this point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

Is there anywhere left that will give you a TV if you've got a bunch in your passport? I picked up the dreaded blue stamp on my last one Sav. I've already got one TV in there from Hanoi and Vein. Been here 9months straight now. 

Back to the spot where im considering extending my stay and getting a new passport after and planning to go back to the states for the holidays. I could do 2 lander border runs but would rather just grab a TV is there is any options left that dont care about visa history. 

Possibly Yangon, but there would be a risk everywhere.

On 9/21/2019 at 10:54 AM, lovesthespicy said:

I wouldn't risk it bro! It's not easy to get to Yangon, do you really want to spend the 5,000 baht plus time to go there with a full passport AND Blue Remark Stamp only to get your application denied?

I am in the same situation as you. My passport is full of visas plus a blue remark stamp from Savannakhet. If I was planning to stay in Thailand longer, I would have applied for a brand new passport that way when I go I have a fresh blank new passport and I know I will get approved.  The only reason why I didn't get a new passport is because I am doing my 2 of 2 visa exempt land border at Phu Nam Ron plus extending that for a total of 2 months and then I'm going back to my home country in December. So I will be able to get a new passport during this time before I return to Thailand next year.

Edited by acenase
  • Like 1

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong topic, but this one seems to be the closest on the board. I need an advice on the following situation:

- I've stayed in Thailand over 6 months this year, first SETV in the beginning of the year, then on METV from February until beginning of September.

- I am currently waiting for the documents for applying for Non-Immigrant B visa. The letter from Ministry of Labor was supposed to have arrived in the end of August; when it was late and my visa was coming to an end as well, my lawyer suggested that I go to Laos and wait for it here. I have currently been in Laos for close to a month and the letter still isn't ready (yeah, I know, feel free to rub it in).

- considering that my Lao tourist visa expires soon, and then I have stayed in Thailand for way too long over the last year, what are my options to come back to Thailand for at least a couple weeks (to pack up my stuff which is currently in BKK and leave if the situation isn't resolved)? Can I use visa exempt to enter via land border (I didn't use any this year)?

Edited by Chiasm
clarified the question

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can.

No problem at all at a land border crossing.

thank you for your reply. My understanding is that I can apply for 1 month extension on 14 days of stay that I get on land border visa exempt, is that correct?

46 minutes ago, Chiasm said:

thank you for your reply. My understanding is that I can apply for 1 month extension on 14 days of stay that I get on land border visa exempt, is that correct?

You get 30 days when entering under visa exemption; which can be extended by a further 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

You get 30 days when entering under visa exemption; which can be extended by a further 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht.

oh, I thought it's 30 days via airports and 14 via land borders, is that no longer the case?

34 minutes ago, Chiasm said:

oh, I thought it's 30 days via airports and 14 via land borders, is that no longer the case?

When the two per calendar year by land rule was introduced in January 2017, all regular visa exempt entries were changed to 30 days, even for those from no G7 countries.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Chiasm said:

It was reduced to 15 days by land for non G7 nationals for a while, but it’s now back to 30 days for all entering under the Visa Exempt Scheme.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone.

National of Argentina under 90 day visa exempt. First of the year. I was planing going to Vientiane to get a 2 month tourist visa and come back. Would there be any problem with this? If not. What other options do I have? Thank you.

11 minutes ago, Eterno said:

Hi everyone.

National of Argentina under 90 day visa exempt. First of the year. I was planing going to Vientiane to get a 2 month tourist visa and come back. Would there be any problem with this? If not. What other options do I have? Thank you.

I think your plan looks good ... on the assumption that you have not applied for tourist visas in Vientiane before.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think your plan looks good ... on the assumption that you have not applied for tourist visas in Vientiane before.

I applied only once but last year. Is it true that now you have to get an appointment rather than walking in the consulate?

2 minutes ago, Eterno said:

I applied only once but last year. Is it true that now you have to get an appointment rather than walking in the consulate?

Yes, you must apply for an appointment. Start at https://www.thaivisavientiane.com/

Be aware that Vientiane now asks for things that were not demanded of repeat applicants in the past. In particular, make sure you have a recent bank statement when you apply. You may need it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Yes, you must apply for an appointment. Start at https://www.thaivisavientiane.com/

Be aware that Vientiane now asks for things that were not demanded of repeat applicants in the past. In particular, make sure you have a recent bank statement when you apply. You may need it.

So if not which is the consulate in which is easier doing it nowadays?

2 hours ago, Eterno said:

So if not which is the consulate in which is easier doing it nowadays?

Things have tightened up generally at consulates in the region. You are likely to need bank statements and/or flights to and from Thailand pretty much wherever you apply. In some cases, you may need hotel reservations also.

If you can meet the requirements, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Yangon and Kuala Lumpur all seem OK. Vientiane (except for the appointment system) is still acceptable. Just be aware that it is not as easy as in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Just went through up at Mae Sai last week while visiting Chiang Rai as our vacation takes me 5 days over my 30 days. No issues at all. Took less than 20 minutes. 500 baht to the Myanmar official, a walk across the street to get my passport and about a 15 minute wait at Thai immigration. Back on the road to sightsee!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hi!

I left Thailand in July, after 21 months living in the country, legally, using a combination of Visa exempt (maxed out: 1 in 2017; 2 each in 2018 & 2019); one Non-Immigrant B Visa in June, 2018; and two SETV's from Vientiane in September & December, 2018.

I am considering returning to Thailand in November, after nearly 4 months absence. Am I likely to have problems entering at Chiang Mai airport? Unlike previous trips, this time I do plan to leave some time in January, 2020, probably right at 60 days in Thailand.

My Thai living plan is now more in synch with the wishes of Thai authorities: I no longer want to live in Thailand full-time, rather, pop in for a few months every year or every few years. I've identified the period of Chinese New Year thru June as a time I do not want to be in Thailand, and the rest of the year as more desirable for spending a few months in the country.

27 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Hi!

I left Thailand in July, after 21 months living in the country, legally, using a combination of Visa exempt (maxed out: 1 in 2017; 2 each in 2018 & 2019); one Non-Immigrant B Visa in June, 2018; and two SETV's from Vientiane in September & December, 2018.

I am considering returning to Thailand in November, after nearly 4 months absence. Am I likely to have problems entering at Chiang Mai airport? Unlike previous trips, this time I do plan to leave some time in January, 2020, probably right at 60 days in Thailand.

My Thai living plan is now more in synch with the wishes of Thai authorities: I no longer want to live in Thailand full-time, rather, pop in for a few months every year or every few years. I've identified the period of Chinese New Year thru June as a time I do not want to be in Thailand, and the rest of the year as more desirable for spending a few months in the country.

It may get tough. Entering through Chiang Mai airport, as long as you have a visa, should be OK if the policies there remain as they have been in the past. Best for your plans would be to get an METV from home, and use friendly land crossings to enter Thailand as much as possible. You definitely risk being denied entry when flying in to a number of the major airports.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:17 AM, jacko45k said:

You can extend the 30 day entry (not a tourist visa but a Visa Exempt Entry). This can be done once. You can then apply to convert that extension to a Non-Imm-O Entry, which will give you a 3 month permission of stay and the ability to pursue a retirement extension. 

This was posted the day after I left Thailand!... I think I would have qualified.

Of course, now the challenge would be getting back in, which seems unlikely, even if only for 2 months. Chinese New Year comes early in 2020... I'd certainly want to be out by January 18!

Oh well, maybe next year. Hmm... I recall a post on this forum about Langkawi as an alterative...

Not living in Thailand full time is less convenient, but certainly ups the adventure of the trip!