Yingluck & former ministers to pay half trillion baht compensation

webfact

wow.. I thought I'd heard it all but this is beyond belief.. and he expects respect from the UN? Some things work and some things don't work. This military government isn't functioning in any way shape or form, it's bankrupting the country fiscally and internationally regarding respect. Will this particular General be made to foot the bill for all of the losses when he's out of power (IF that ever happens of course)? He's picked a number out of the air and then says he doesn't know what the amount will be. Are there still people here who believe these actions are not politically motivated? Or are there still some with the rose-tinted glasses on?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General elections were held in Thailand on 6 February 2005. With a turnout of 60.7 percent, the Thai Rak Thai Party (Thais Love Thais Party) of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra won a landslide victory. Out of 500 seats in the House of Representatives, Thaksin's party won 375 seats.

2006 his party was outlawed and he was barred from political activity.

Do you remember why a party with such a big win had to call elections for 14 months later? Do you remember the blatant abuses of office, including the B9 billion loan from KTB, and the illegal attempts to force a result from the 2006 election which saw the party banned?

Banned by the minority opposition. Ya I remember that. I thoroughly understand. If you can't win at the polls what's a fellow to do? Do you remember the last time that Thaksin family lost an election? It's slipped my mind.

'Can't win at the polls', well how about 'can't get an amnesty through parliament' so resort to nasty tactics at 3:00 am in the morning when the good people of Thailand are asleep to try to push a vote through and use other peoples voting cards and totally block the opposition from speaking in parliament, which they are fully entitled to do. But they got caught, again.

So? Have an election and get someone better. Not like corruption and lying politicians don't exist in the West. I did not have sex with that woman and I'm not a crook. biggrin.png

Carry on ignoring all the undercurrents, such Mark Kent's speech that so riled Prayuth.

If Yingluck was thrown in prison, then the support would become specific enough. Besides, the Thai people - you know, the ones who used to have a vote before they were forcibly disenfranchised - wouldn't like it one bit. But hey, carry on. The fascists are hurtling downhill into a brick wall as is the nature of fascism. Go ahead and slam your foot on the accelerator. Lock her up and see what happens.

Why is it that red apologists continue to threaten widespread violence unless they get what they want, yet in most instances where someone is caught it turns out they were paid - mercenary rather than political motivation?

'Can't win at the polls', well how about 'can't get an amnesty through parliament' so resort to nasty tactics at 3:00 am in the morning when the good people of Thailand are asleep to try to push a vote through and use other peoples voting cards and totally block the opposition from speaking in parliament, which they are fully entitled to do. But they got caught, again.

So? Have an election and get someone better. Not like corruption and lying politicians don't exist in the West. I did not have sex with that woman and I'm not a crook. biggrin.png

But as you pointed out, the same criminals keep winning the elections which defers their court cases , while trying to give themselves an amnesty to avoid paying for their crimes. That little game is over, time to face the music.

But as you pointed out, the same criminals keep winning the elections which defers their court cases , while trying to give themselves an amnesty to avoid paying for their crimes. That little game is over, time to face the music.

No I did not point out the same criminals keep winning elections. Laws are made by people that are elected. So in reality the people make the laws. If they want to grant immunity to some people that is up to the electorate. In America the President routinely pardons felons and criminals of all kinds on the last day of his term for large amounts of money. Nothing new there.

Carry on ignoring all the undercurrents, such Mark Kent's speech that so riled Prayuth.

If Yingluck was thrown in prison, then the support would become specific enough. Besides, the Thai people - you know, the ones who used to have a vote before they were forcibly disenfranchised - wouldn't like it one bit. But hey, carry on. The fascists are hurtling downhill into a brick wall as is the nature of fascism. Go ahead and slam your foot on the accelerator. Lock her up and see what happens.

Why is it that red apologists continue to threaten widespread violence unless they get what they want, yet in most instances where someone is caught it turns out they were paid - mercenary rather than political motivation?

Simply stating the consequences of quashing the masses is not a threat.

No I did not point out the same criminals keep winning elections. Laws are made by people that are elected. So in reality the people make the laws. If they want to grant immunity to some people that is up to the electorate. In America the President routinely pardons felons and criminals of all kinds on the last day of his term for large amounts of money. Nothing new there.

Maybe you didn't get it,but you're not in America.This is Thailand, a country where canvassers buy votes.

Edited by SoilSpoil

Hmmmmm.....OK....now that is one hefty fine if ever there was.

Am I missing something here because realistically where would they obtain that amount of money paid by the 3 of them ( they said 3 of them correct ) to immediately pay out that amount of money???

I guess they will opt for a prison sentence as surely they will not be paying that amount of money any time soon.

I would rather see them go to prison anyhow as the money collected will go where and to whom???/

Cheers

Perhaps this is an indication that Thailand will never ever have elections agian and the military plan to maintain strict control forever.

Good. I hope they do.

Hmmmm

Have you not heard the saying: "Be careful what you wish for"

They may exercise strict and possibly harsh control on foreigners, such as yourself, one day, under Military rule.

It could happen ...oh yes indeed ..it could happen one day.

Cheers

Maybe you didn't get it,but you're not in America.This is Thailand, a country where canvassers buy votes.

If canvassers buy votes (both sides were buying; I know because I was there) how come the side with the most money lost?

Edited by lostoday

If canvassers buy votes (both sides were buying; I know because I was there) how come the side with the most money lost?

Really, you have voting rights in Thailand now?

It's not possible to put YL in prison - she would instantly become a martyr like Aung San Suu Kyi and the entire world would come down on Thailand.

The intent of this ridiculous court case and beyond-ridiculous penalty is presumably to force YL into exile, then they will have eradicated the opposition, avoided any messy internal dealings, and can start screaming 'criminal fugitive' again.

You are not serious are you? Do you think any government, embassy, diplomat, NGO, or sensible person would put Yingluck in the same class as Aung San Suu Kyi?

Have you heard about any of them specifically supporting Yingluck?

If you do, then you really are beyond help.

We don't know - she hasn't been put in jail yet.

If she does become a martyr, as did Aung San Suu Kyi,, it will be as a result of the Juntas venal stupidity.

I prefer to to wait and see, rather than accept your your foam flecked expostulations.

Really, you have voting rights in Thailand now?

Why would I need voting rights to watch parties competing for my Thai wife's vote?

wow.. I thought I'd heard it all but this is beyond belief.. and he expects respect from the UN? Some things work and some things don't work. This military government isn't functioning in any way shape or form, it's bankrupting the country fiscally and internationally regarding respect. Will this particular General be made to foot the bill for all of the losses when he's out of power (IF that ever happens of course)? He's picked a number out of the air and then says he doesn't know what the amount will be. Are there still people here who believe these actions are not politically motivated? Or are there still some with the rose-tinted glasses on?

Of course it is politically motivated. Who would think otherwise ? It is always going to be about politics, Thai style.

Why do you think the average TVF poster gets more hot under the collar about it than the average Thai ? biggrin.png

It's not possible to put YL in prison - she would instantly become a martyr like Aung San Suu Kyi and the entire world would come down on Thailand.

The intent of this ridiculous court case and beyond-ridiculous penalty is presumably to force YL into exile, then they will have eradicated the opposition, avoided any messy internal dealings, and can start screaming 'criminal fugitive' again.

You are not serious are you? Do you think any government, embassy, diplomat, NGO, or sensible person would put Yingluck in the same class as Aung San Suu Kyi?

If she does become a martyr, as did Aung San Suu Kyi,, it will be as a result of the Juntas venal stupidity.

I prefer to to wait and see, rather than accept your your foam flecked expostulations.

She won't go to prison, I think we all know that. She would either come up with the money or do a runner before that ever happened.

If she did pay up she would receive lots of pity from her beloved supporters. Same as she would if she put herself in "self imposed exile".

One thing for sure she will never be compared to Aung San Suu Kyi. thumbsup.gif

She won't go to prison, I think we all know that. She would either come up with the money or do a runner before that ever happened.

If she did pay up she would receive lots of pity from her beloved supporters. Same as she would if she put herself in "self imposed exile".

Unless some nut case puts her in jail. wai.gif You people really don't have a clue do you?sad.png

A martyr for what?

If she is put in prison it would be because she broke the law. Her brother was given a jail sentence that he hasn't served (because he ran away) because he broke the law as well.

Does that make him a martyr too, or simply a convicted criminal?

BTW here is the Oxford dictionaries meaning of the word martyr in both noun and verb form.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/martyr

martyr

Line breaks: mar¦tyr

Pronunciation: /ˈmɑːtə/
Definition of martyr in English: noun
1A person who is killed because of their religious or other beliefs: the first Christian martyr
1.1A person who displays or exaggerates their discomfort or distress in order to obtain sympathy: she wanted to play the martyr
1.2 (martyr to) A constant sufferer from (an ailment): I’m a martyr to migraine!
verb

[with object] Back to top

1Kill (someone) because of their beliefs: she was martyred for her faith

1.1Cause great pain or distress to: there was no need to martyr themselves again

Can you find anything in that which applies to Yingluck Shinawatra?

A martyr for what?

If she is put in prison it would be because she broke the law. Her brother was given a jail sentence that he hasn't served (because he ran away) because he broke the law as well.

BTW here is the Oxford dictionaries meaning of the word martyr in both noun and verb form.

martyr

1A person who is killed because of their religious or other beliefs: the first Christian martyr
1.1A person who displays or exaggerates their discomfort or distress in order to obtain sympathy: she wanted to play the martyr
1.2 (martyr to) A constant sufferer from (an ailment): I’m a martyr to migraine!
verb

1.1Cause great pain or distress to: there was no need to martyr themselves again

She is not a martyr nor is any thing about her like a martyr unless she is put in jail. Then because of her perceived suffering in jail she would become a martyr.wai2.gif Joan of Arc was not a martyr till they burned her at the stake. Yingluck would not be a martyr until they put her in jail.

Edited by lostoday

Seems a little ridiculous to me and just playing along with the junta's plans. Where is the real investigative efforts to see who profited from this scheme track them down and prosecute the profiteers. There has been no evidence that Yingluck actually put money in the bank over the scheme. So evidently the powers at be are trying to hold politicians responsible for failed programs when in fact they may have not criminally profited from such a scheme. Maybe the general better be careful as isn't it possible he could find himself in the same boat at a later date?

Unless some nut case puts her in jail. wai.gif You people really don't have a clue do you?sad.png

I said - "She won't go to prison, I think we all know that. She would either come up with the money or do a runner before that ever happened.

One thing for sure she will never be compared to Aung San Suu Kyi."

and you replied - "Unless some nut case puts her in jail. You people really don't have a clue do you?"

You are right. I really don't have a clue what you are on about half the time. You don't seem to read a comment properly before replying to it. facepalm.gif

No one from the PT party is really taking this very serious evident by their absolute silence. Using tort law is really unprecedented and not in this scale and could backfire big time. The MOF is just laying grounds for a lawsuit and whether they will proceed is another big question mark. There simple too much generalization for their prosecutors to master enough evidence. Without going through the judiciary process, this demand has no legal binding. Too much posting here that really too much ado for nothing.

A martyr for what?

martyr

verb

She is not a martyr nor is any thing about her like a martyr unless she is put in jail. Then because of her perceived suffering in jail she would become a martyr.wai2.gif Joan of Arc was not a martyr till they burned her at the stake. Yingluck would not be a martyr until they put her in jail.

Following your line of thinking (or perhaps not) then every person who is put in jail for breaking the the law therefore is a martyr.

Just because you and many others think that it is a bad law is irrelevant. If nobody obeyed or complied with any laws then you have anarchy. It is not possible to pick and choose which laws to obey or not nor is it possible to accept only the court verdicts that you like and ignore the ones you don't like.

That was also a trait of the PTP of which Yingluck was the PM. Perhaps she still believes that.

No one from the PT party is really taking this very serious evident by their absolute silence. Using tort law is really unprecedented and not in this scale and could backfire big time. The MOF is just laying grounds for a lawsuit and whether they will proceed is another big question mark. There simple too much generalization for their prosecutors to master enough evidence. Without going through the judiciary process, this demand has no legal binding. Too much posting here that really too much ado for nothing.

Congratulations on passing the bar examination in Thai law.

I assume from your post that you are totally conversant with all aspects of Thai law and are now allowed to practise law in Thailand.

You are qualified I assume?

The wannabee dictatorial crime family clan, known as the Shins on this forum, are seen be the international community as exactly that.

The international community and most of the posters on here who do not support the Shins want to see democracy in Thailand. But real democracy which is enforced by a real rule of law, applied to all fair and square.

Pretending anyone who doesn't support the Shins is a fascist is simply like pretending the Shin are remotely interested in democracy, law and justice or a fair society i.e pretense.

But if it makes you happy to believe the brainless bimbo puppet used by her criminal brother whose to scared to face the courts was a real PM then you can keep pretending.

The only ones who will be upset are the clan and their cronies and lackeys; and any who are paid to be upset.

Ah, one of the "holy trinity" surfaces with the usual attempt at trying to ridicule any comment that dares oppose the Shins.

So, JAG - do you seriously think Yingluck is in the same ilk as ASSK?

Can you give any examples of any foreign government, diplomat or embassy specifically supporting Yingluck by name, or comparing her to any other political figure?

So i guess for such a big fine of compensation they must have proof of exactly where any missing money from the rice scheme might have went?

Doesnt sound like they have any real means of extracting the money out of her anyway.

The good PM is all for writing good stuff in the charter, why not a law that garnisheers/freezes pollies accounts on occasions like this, so they can ensure the fine gets paid

Seems a little ridiculous to me and just playing along with the junta's plans. Where is the real investigative efforts to see who profited from this scheme track them down and prosecute the profiteers. There has been no evidence that Yingluck actually put money in the bank over the scheme. So evidently the powers at be are trying to hold politicians responsible for failed programs when in fact they may have not criminally profited from such a scheme. Maybe the general better be careful as isn't it possible he could find himself in the same boat at a later date?

Whilst i am all for people being accountable for their actions, i think going down this route is very dangerous...

I am sure what they are really doing is just trying to pressurise the Shins to back off away from politics.

Asking Governments to pay back money lost would be a very contentious and difficult thing to police.

In any event should any repayment not be concluded after a trial determining guilt?

Ah, one of the "holy trinity" surfaces with the usual attempt at trying to ridicule any comment that dares oppose the Shins.

So, JAG - do you seriously think Yingluck is in the same ilk as ASSK?

Can you give any examples of any foreign government, diplomat or embassy specifically supporting Yingluck by name, or comparing her to any other political figure?

Why would they? She has not been put in jail yet. She gets put in jail and she becomes a martyr. She is miraculously changed from Prada princess to St. Joan of Arc overnight. Then the boys will find out which side the young Issan men in uniform are really on.