Thailand cops win award for 'creative economics'

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand Wins 'Ig Nobel' Distinction for Bribing Cops not to Take Bribes
By Khaosod English

14425714601442573561l.jpg
Pol. Lt. Rachan Chomsuwan, at left, receives a 10,000 baht reward for refusing to accept a 100-baht bribe from a motorcyclist in this 10 Oct., 2014 file photo.

BANGKOK:-- Thailand's police force is more accustomed to criticism and calls for reform when it comes to the international community. But that changed today with a US-based organization honoring the force for creative economics.

At the 25th annual Ig Nobel awards ceremony, a satirical prize in economics was bestowed upon the Bangkok Metropolitan Police Bureau for a short-lived policy of rewarding police officers who refuse to take bribes.

Organizers of Ig Nobel, a parody of the prestigious Nobel Prize, named the metro police a winner “for offering to pay policemen extra cash if the policemen refuse to take bribes,” according to its website.

The award is organized by science humor magazine “Annals of Improbable Research.” Its stated aim is to recognize scientific achievements that “make people laugh, and then think.”

Other winners of this year’s prizes included: Chemistry to partially un-boil an egg, the discovery that "huh?" exists in every human language and proof that nearly all mammals empty their bladder in about 21 seconds.

Read more: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1442571460&section=14

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-09-19

Given the context of this op one has to wonder if the police are unaware of the humor part. They probably think it is a real award for their idea. Meanwhile, the rest of the world can read about idiocies and laugh at them. I personally would have thought the un-boiled egg would be the winner for this prize.

Works fine until someone bribes the person who bribes the cops not to take bribes to stop bribing cops to not take bribes. Then they'll have to bribe the person who bribes the person who bribes the cops not to take bribes to keep bribing the cops to not take bribes. Of course then someone we'll bribe......

These fools dont have any idea how much people despise them and laugh at them for their incredible incompetence - Police in other countries couldnt act so idiotic even if they tried ... blink.png

When I look at the US police problems than I really prefer the Thai police.....

Given the context of this op one has to wonder if the police are unaware of the humor part. They probably think it is a real award for their idea. Meanwhile, the rest of the world can read about idiocies and laugh at them. I personally would have thought the un-boiled egg would be the winner for this prize.

It must be true it's in the local paper

http://www.thephuketnews.com/us-organisation-honors-thai-cops-cash-incentives-for-declining-cash-bribes-54177.php

These fools dont have any idea how much people despise them and laugh at them for their incredible incompetence - Police in other countries couldnt act so idiotic even if they tried ... blink.png

Agreed. How about the White cop who shot an unarmed man in the back for running away, or the White cop who kills a 14 year old Black adolescent holding an unloaded air gun in a store, or the White cop who shot an unarmed Black homeless man in Los Angeles, etc, etc, etc... Then the best one of all: a young White man sits in church with people for an hour then pulls out a .45 and murders 9 African American people. When he was arrested the cops ran right out to Burger King and bought him a meal to keep him settled. I wonder how many Black suspects they went out to buy a burger for. Believe me, I feel much safer with Thai cops than American cops, and I was one... for six months. That was how long it took me to realise I was among the most corrupt and vicious people in my community.

I thought they would recieve an award for giving themselves a reward! cheesy.gif

what about somyot giving himself and his merry men 3million baht that's what I call creative economics.

But that wasn't a bribe, that was for dodgy excellent policing.

Edited by Artisi

Yeah, at least the Thai cops don't need 9 officers to jump on and arrest a teenager for jay walking. Or shoot you for not showing your ID quickly enough or taser you for the slightest misdemeanour (if you're a non-white citizen that is).

Oh no, they generally smile as they take your 200 baht for not wearing a helmet or speeding. clap2.gif