What kind of expat are you? Perhaps a not-an-expat expat?

Jingthing

http://www.cuencahighlife.com/what-are-the-types-of-expats-what-about-the-clusterer-the-fugitive-looking-for-love-the-conspiracy-buster-the-interneter-and-the-expert/

“One of my fascinations is the personality types of expats and why people decede to become expats in the first place,” he says. “It has been a great source of interest and amusement to observe the expat life, the good, bad and ugly of it.”
Among the expat types Gilliam identifies are the clusterer; the counter-culturist; the expert; the paradise quester; the adventurer; the homer; the grouch; the not-an-expat expat; the fugitive; the give-backer; the assimilator; the conspiracy buster; looking for love; and the Interneter.

Take this article how you like.

It's kind of silly to label people this way but I guess it's human nature to put people into boxes.

Speaking of which ... "the interneter" ... oh no!

Lol, I do spend a lot of time on the internet, then again I sometimes I watch a lot of tv as well.

These are things I've always done. Overall I'd say my lifestyle here is pretty much identical to the one I had back in the UK, all that's changed are the surroundings and temperature, and of course the people - these expats are everywhere.

My definition of expat is someone who has worked for long enough overseas that their home country has become truly foreign to them; or someone who was born overseas (by virtue of their parents being true expats) and then continues to live overseas.

People who retire overseas are not really expats.

I'd also like to say that you earn the term expat, you can't just get off the plane in Southeast Asia and claim to immediately be an expat.... you need to become part of the country(ies) you live and work in.

Never really understood the term "ExPat"...what is it...Ex patriot?...I don't see myself as Ex anything...just a living being breathing the air around me.

hahaah I must be bored , here you go..

The term expat derives from the Latin prefix ex (out of) and the noun patria (home country, native country, or fatherland).

In today’s globalized world, as the reasons for going abroad become more diverse, it’s no longer easy to find a concrete definition for this term.

That said, the word “expat” is generally used to refer to people who temporarily or permanently live in a different country

There are also so-called serial expats, who move from one country to another on a series of international assignments.

And not all expats are employees; some people move abroad to work as freelancers or open up a business in a foreign country.

I spend four months a year in Thailand (Khao Lak) - two in 'winter' & two in 'summer' - to get away from the freezing cold and stifling heat of China. So, I'm not really a tourist... but not really an ex-pat. I guess I'm a "not-an-expat expat".

The trouble is - the Chinese have followed me!

One should add 'self-exiled' to the list, which describes myself. Flag waving patriots disturb me wherever they are, so i reject the term 'expat' (haven't waved a flag since high school = 50 yrs now). I saw the panopticon culture coming in the West (1984) and decided to leave, hoping the East held enough leeway till I hit the grave. I prefer the 'salt-of-the-earth' types that are much more abundant in SE Asia minus the mind-wipes filled with pop-occulture and the spoon-fed opinions I left behind.

Was born and raised in NYC and never realized how good I had it.

After the kids were born, had to work 2 jobs to make ends meet.

Must admit that I really didn't like this part of my life as it was in the 70's and wife didn't want any part in it.

"We're married with children, no sex, drugs or rock n roll for you"

The marriage counselor explained it all to her and I left.

Divorce followed but got back up on me feet and started a new life.

Had a great time actually; Until I retired.!

Pension barely covered the essentials and locked me into my old, rent-controlled, apt. ($550. monthly) which I would loose if I moved.

Market rents.were $1,800 to $2,300 for a 1BR back then and now range from $3,500.to $7,500. monthly in Manhattan.

Started relocating to lower cost cities through out the US and was not impressed, to say the least.

Checked out some big cities too, which I really couldn't afford:: Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood-FL, San Antonio, San Diego, Seattle, Portland-OR, Atlanta, Las Vegas just to mention a few.

Coming from NYC; no place excited me EXCEPT BANGKOK.

Please note that my trip to Bangkok was during the Thaksin reighn which left a bad taste in my mouth and LEFT in 2005.to wait it out.

So, this is my second try here.

Having arrived in July of this year, I do get the feeling that Thailand is having a Renaissance or some kind of new beginning and happy to be a part of it

I'm here on a Retirement Visa and plan to stay as long as possible:

At my age and medical condition, sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll are out of the question.

So,what category of expat do I belong to in for this forum.?

How can one become an Expat ,,, I am a Nowpat,,,,I am Retired and I do what I wanna do,,,If I would become an Expat I would be Death Wouldn't I,,,,I am Alive so I can't be an Expat thumbsup.gif

I'm a expat, not an ex-parrot. I'm very much alive and not 'nailed to the perch'... or pining for the fjords. blink.png

I doubt someone becomes an expat because they are satisfied with the status quo in their country of origin. Expats are seeking something better for their personal circumstances, be it economic or cultural. It would be interesting to see how many female expats there are, suspect not many.

Having said that, I'd suggest there is no more seductive female on the planet than a Thai woman, if she decides you are her target.

I was born outside the country of my passport. I have lived abroad (if i can say that) much longer than i have ever lived in the country of my passport. Going to the country of my passport is like going to a foreign country. Can I really be called an expat.

Based on your definition of nationality and domicile, you would qualify as the purest essence of expat, maybe even the Obergruppenexpat.