NCPO launches 24hr hotline for people to report crimes

webfact

NCPO launches 24hr hotline for people to report crimes

ncpo.jpg

BANGKOK, 21 September 2015 (NNT) - The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has established a 24-hour crime hotline and insisted it will continue to safeguard the public against any possible threats.

NCPO Spokesperson Colonel Winthai Suvaree said that security units have been doing their best to provide public safety since the Ratchaprasong blast, while also trying to be transparent about the investigation.

The spokesperson urged everyone to contact the authorities regarding any unusual activities or people. People can call a 24-hour hotline at 1515, as a way to help investigators solve and prevent criminal activity.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-21 footer_n.gif

I thought, such a thing existed already: it is called "the Police"!

...but then again..." The spokesperson urged everyone to contact the authorities regarding any unusual activities or people. " sounds a bit more like the East- German STASI!

Hello? Hello? Hello? Hello? for English press 9 All our associates are busy at present but your call is very important to us. If no one answers leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Have a great day.

Edited by elgordo38

Did they not just 6 weeks ago (or so) "establish" that 911 was the one & only number to call for any and everything having to do with contacting the police?

EDIT:

Here ya go. July 14, 2015.

Thais will soon dial 911 as the new and single national emergency number

"He said having a single emergency call number could help to prevent confusion caused by the various existing emergency call numbers now in use."

----------------------------------------------------

I truly detest the posters who ask for "proof" that the guv't is a basket case, full of contradictions. Changing rules & moving goal posts is what keeps civil service employed...That & Facebook.

Edited by jaywalker

Did they not just 6 weeks ago (or so) "establish" that 911 was the one & only number to call for any and everything having to do with contacting the police?

EDIT:

"He said having a single emergency call number could help to prevent confusion caused by the various existing emergency call numbers now in use."

I truly detest the posters who ask for "proof" that the guv't is a basket case, full of contradictions. Changing rules & moving goal posts is what keeps civil service employed...That & Facebook.

911 is for emergencies, not every crime that is reported is an emergency.

EDIT:

911 is for emergencies, not every crime that is reported is an emergency.

Not sure which part of

didn't sink in there Mate?

Ever hear of a switchboard?

DominicProcopio_Wxfield_base_switchboard

Is your neighbor a red shirt who drinks Leo and has said bad things about Mr. Prime Minister?

Is there a thin Farang in a nearby apartment who keeps strange hours?

Are the teenage boys disturbing your peace and order?

Has a lottery ticket seller offered to sell you a lucky number ticket for 100 baht?

Don't wait for confusion, division and civil war. Rat on your neighbors today.

Just dial *44 for fast action backed up by implicit military force.

The difference is pretty clear to me...

The EMERGENCY number is for emergencies... like a person bleeding in the street, or a house burning, or a gunman inside your business.

The new HOTLINE number is for reporting a farang with bomb making material living nextdoor, or officers engaging in human trafficking across the street, or the Nigerian drug dealers pestering people in your neighborhood, etc etc.

Of course, there could be some overlap between the two. But in all likelihood, no one's going to answer in English anyway... so... what's the diff???

BTW, I wonder if the new hotline will accept calls reporting criminal corruption by government officials/officers vs. the normal criminal stuff??? Now that would be an interesting hotline to monitor...

You want to report corruption by your local BIB??? Great, give us your address, and we'll be right over to arrest YOU!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

What are the chances that your name and address will be taken and "inadvertently" revealed to the people you are complaining about. This is the reason most of the Thais i know never report the drug dealing and other criminal behaviour in our neighbourhood. Part of the protection services offered to criminals is alerting them to people who have a problem with their activities and may be inclined to do something about it.

Maybe different here in the sticks. When I've needed the police, (couple of burglaries), I phoned a sergeant friend who speaks passable English, and he sorted it, even though on the second occasion, he had been posted to Lom Sak, about 150k away. Locally, can pay 300 baht month for random police visits to the house. Get a numbered mailbox put up near the gate with a log book inside. One time I needed to call police and EMS urgently, I only had to give the box number, and they knew my house instantly. Quick response.

good idea why not

Many police forces have numbers and encourage the public to report crimes. Real policing can only happen by consent,

The idea is good, but the weak point is the recipients of the call. Most people here go out of their way to avoid contact with the corrupt, always on the make, inept BiB. I have yet to hear anyone say they trust the police, including police officers I know!

Btw - just being nosy. But I take it you are aware whose insignia you've chosen as your avatar and their history?