Iphone 6s

kbelyeu

A fortune for an iPhone?

Yes the purchase price is a lot but for some people that phone will last quite some time and they will take great pleasure in using a quality device. The total cost of ownership is part of what matters for some people too. Unfortunately most tech reviewers never go into this because they are upgrading every year or two and are only interested in the latest and greatest. I have an iPhone 4 bought new in 2010, which is still my only phone, works well and has never had to be repaired. I'm looking to upgrade to a 6S for several reasons, but I know I will get a quality device that all going well will last me 4 years and the main apps and operating system it runs will be updated regularly (the iPhone 4S (2011) is still supported by Apple (though it apparently struggles a bit on iOS9)). If my budget didn't stretch to a 6S I'd probably buy the Nexus 5X or 6P to get a high quality pure Android phone that should get timely updates (unlike Samsung). These phones will soon be here with the 5X starting at around ฿17,000. Google will likely support Android on these phones for 3+ years.

Of course it is all a matter of personal choice...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not at all, but why do you need an iPhone 6 anyway? these phones are for the 4G. do we really need to see high-def TV and pay a fortune for that.?!

any 3g phone work fine in Thailand. no need to spend 40k in one of these apple gadget.

It's only a matter of time before lurking IAHs (Irrational Apple Haters) come out of the woodwork and troll these threads.

A new list of countries and dates was just announced by Apple. Interestingly, still no mention of Thailand. Even Moldova and Kazakhstan will be getting them before Thailand.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/08/iphone-6s-and-6s-plus-october-23-launch/

I was expecting this after last year's episode with the NBTC chairman. Apple have a history of punishing countries that leak info.

As an aside, I had a phone call from an expat friend a few weeks ago requesting that I bring out his pre-ordered iPhone 6S to LOS from the UK. No problem, I say.

Picked it up from his friend in UK two days prior to departure and brought it out last weekend. I assumed he had purchased it through Apple Store but noticed it was ordered through Vodafone. I had already purchased my own iPhone 6S Plus from Apple and had enjoyed a week's worth of experience of my shiny new model. My Apple purchased phone was also working like a dream with a dtac SIM.

Met up with him yesterday, inserted a dtac Nano SIM and the SIM was not recognised. My first question to him was did you purchase a locked phone? Maybe, was his response.

I've resisted banging my head against a wall, as it's not my problem. I informed him that he needs to call Vodafone UK requesting the phone be unlocked and departed each others company.

Had a call from him today and he's certain that he can get it unlocked when he goes to Pattaya next week. Good luck with that. Old / inexperienced people and technology just don't mix.

I wonder what chipset version are winding up in Thailand?

There've been complaints on shortened battery life on the Samsung-supplies iPhone A9 SoC (System on a Chip) vs the TSMC-supplied A9 Soc.

Google: iPhone 6s A9 SoC

You mean which SoC manufacturer, as the chipsets are the same. Both TSMC and Samsung A9 processors will be in Thailand, it will be completely random which one you get. Apple are using both companies for the 6s and 6s Plus phones.

I have both TSMC and Samsung manufactured processors in my iPhone 6s Plus' that I bought from the same source (Apple Store online US). Both running on Truemove H I had identical settings and both were looping the same video until they ran out of juice. They shutdown within 5 minutes of each other.

So tbh it doesn't really make a difference.

I have both TSMC and Samsung manufactured processors in my iPhone 6s Plus' that I bought from the same source (Apple Store online US). Both running on Truemove H I had identical settings and both were looping the same video until they ran out of juice. They shutdown within 5 minutes of each other.

So tbh it doesn't really make a difference.

Apple put out a statement saying power consumption of both chips varies within just two to three percent of each other.

Some 3rd-party testers (running tests not representative of real-world usage) have revealed a battery performance difference of 50 - 120 minutes between an iPhone 6S with a 14nm Samsung APL0898, built on a 96mm2 die, and a 16nm TSMC APL1022, built on a 104.5mm2 die. Sites such as BGR have posted test results showing that TSCM's 16nm chip performs very slightly better than Samsung's and, more critically, that Samsung's smaller chip runs hotter and consumes more power.

But since you can't really pick and chose, it probably doesn't matter. Especially so if there's only a 5 minute difference when playing video media.

Had a call from him today and he's certain that he can get it unlocked when he goes to Pattaya next week. Good luck with that. Old / inexperienced people and technology just don't mix.

Easy peasy getting it unlocked anywhere...even if ur a bingo player.

An iPhone 6S? Really, already?

An iPhone 6S? Really, already?

"Unlock" is not the same as "jailbreak".

Some phones are SIM port locked to their mobile carrier/operator, especially if the cost of the phone is subsidized by the carrier.

There is usually a calculated code that can be entered into the phone based on the phones serial or IMEI number, usually provided by the mobile carrier/operator when the subsidy and account balance are satisfied.

Some independent shops have the software to render the unlock code for certain models of phone.

"Unlock" is not the same as "jailbreak".

Some phones are SIM port locked to their mobile carrier/operator, especially if the cost of the phone is subsidized by the carrier.

There is usually a calculated code that can be entered into the phone based on the phones serial or IMEI number, usually provided by the mobile carrier/operator when the subsidy and account balance are satisfied.

Some independent shops have the software to render the unlock code for certain models of phone.

He's paid for the phone outright.

I have informed him that it'll be a whole lot easier calling Vodafone in the UK. Might cost a few bob to unlock but much easier.

I'm just sceptical that a shop in Patts will be able to unlock a new iPhone 6S, though I see your point.

Anyway, he won't be making that mistake again.

now you can use 4g in Thailand? what s the point to pay for an iPhone 6s when you can not use all of its functionalities In Thailand? just show off?

Personally I am considering upgrading my 5s because of 3D touch (I’m an expert user so I will definitely get a lot of use out of that), the better camera (especially for lowlight situations), and the faster/instant fingerprint reader (I love this security feature, but it’s not instant on the 5s). I’m also swayed by the optical image stabilization, unfortunately only 6s Plus has it for video, but this phone is too big for me.

So why are you asking such a cliché question, just to show us that you are indifferent to the latest trends?

I'm an expert user... Huh?... It that a qualification with a certificate or is it like saying I have a huge extrusion in my underware?

now you can use 4g in Thailand? what s the point to pay for an iPhone 6s when you can not use all of its functionalities In Thailand? just show off?

Just so we're absolutely clear, I brought out my iPhone 6S Plus from the UK last week and I am not limited in the use of any of its functionalities in LOS.

The only limitation is the dtac 4G SIM. It's okay and much better than Thai 3G, but nothing like 4G in the UK. I regularly test UK 4G speeds of +50Mbps compared to about +10Mbps in LOS.

For the more discerning posters, I can highly recommend the 6S / 6S Plus. Fantastic bit of kit and the app developers will be along shortly with some great updates, I have no doubt.

iPhone are when bought from a carrier are locked to it buy Apple the carrier cannot unlock it other than asking Apple to do so.And most uk carriers will not do this until you are 6 months into your contract.The unlock is though iTunes.

iPhone are when bought from a carrier are locked to it buy Apple the carrier cannot unlock it other than asking Apple to do so.And most uk carriers will not do this until you are 6 months into your contract.The unlock is though iTunes.

Thanks, maxtwo, but as I stated, my friend purchased the phone outright from Vodafone and is not on a contract. He just failed to realise that he purchased a locked to Vodafone iPhone. Silly arse.

Here's a YouTube video walking through the normal Carrier or 3rd-Party SIM Unlock process.

Note: not endorsing this particular unlocker!

The iPhone SIM Unlock Process as per Vodaphone (Fee charged to your SIM account)

The iPhone SIM Unlock Process:

EDIT: also note,

Austrailia Vodaphone has a video that shows using the iTunes "Restore iPhone" feature to 'unlock' the phone.

The Aussie iPhone will then show as unlocked and able to use other SIM cards when the 'restore' process completes. Special rules for Aussies, I guess.

I had a random look at one of these companies last night to unlock iPhone 6S, RichCor, and the price came in at £89. They're basically doing what a UK provider does but charging a whacking great premium. Good for them. But Vodafone UK would charge a maximum of £20, if that.

I'm an expert user... Huh?... It that a qualification with a certificate or is it like saying I have a huge extrusion in my underware?

You often classify users into novice, intermediate, and expert. The latter group would be those who learn and use many/most of the product’s less visible features (including shortcuts).

So I was basically trying to say that 3D touch might not be for all users, but for those who use their phone heavily, and do things like regularly use the task switcher, move the insertion point around, make selections, etc., 3D touch should be an awesome new feature, as it makes all of the things mentioned easier, plus adds shortcuts to icons on the launch screen so you can go directly to most frequently used actions and more.

But for my mother, who is definitely not an expert users, I am not sure she’ll ever use 3D touch.

As far as I know it is the carrier that need to unlock it and not Apple. I had a locked iPhone 6 plus and T-Mobile unlocked it for me through iTunes. Apple has no reason to care if a phone is locked and sell them unlocked. It is the carrier alone that blocks phones from being unlocked. I accidentally bought mine locked because i didn't realise that buying one from T-Mobile even not on a contract would be a locked phone. I would never buy from a carrier in the west again as I find this slightly misleading. Luckily they unlocked it for me free but some will charge a fee for sure. If they haven't subsidized the phone I think this practice should be illegal. I remember the days they wouldn't unlock a phone even after you fulfilled your entire contract. Bunch of crooks.

As far as I know it is the carrier that need to unlock it and not Apple. I had a locked iPhone 6 plus and T-Mobile unlocked it for me through iTunes. Apple has no reason to care if a phone is locked and sell them unlocked. It is the carrier alone that blocks phones from being unlocked. I accidentally bought mine locked because i didn't realise that buying one from T-Mobile even not on a contract would be a locked phone. I would never buy from a carrier in the west again as I find this slightly misleading. Luckily they unlocked it for me free but some will charge a fee for sure. If they haven't subsidized the phone I think this practice should be illegal. I remember the days they wouldn't unlock a phone even after you fulfilled your entire contract. Bunch of crooks.

I was in the USA last year and bought a T-Mobile "factory unlocked" iPhone 6 from an Apple Store at full price. It came with a T-Mobile prepaid SIM already installed. I just replaced that with my DTAC SIM card and it then activated and worked without a problem. No "unlocking" was necessary.

Just to report that my friend finally got his iPhone 6S unlocked through Vodafone UK and for free.

Not sure why it's taken three days to get it unlocked but suspect he didn't have a clue about what they were requesting of him over the phone and he finally got lucky today after randomly hitting the correct procedure.

I'll bet the staff at Vodafone UK call centre all breathed a collective sigh of relief to see the back of him this afternoon.

Archived