Do you have slow service from True Internet ?

circusman

Anyone else experiencing hold ups from True Internet in Chiang Mai ? Trying to reach websites outside Thailand it is now taking a lot of time to connect to the website. Once connected the downloads are not that bad.

Also has anyone stopped True service before you have used it for one year (contract) ? I would like to get BBB again but True says we must pay a penalty for dropping them.

In Bangkok my True internet has been very hit and miss for a few months.

We've complained, they've changed channel (whatever that means), they've come and changed the router (to one with a less powerful Wifi which means I have to boost the Wifi to my bedroom).

I am still getting intermittent service, it just slows down to the point pages such as Facebook / ThaiVisa.com are very slow to load.

When we do complain I suspect True of just changing something, anything just to show they are doing something, I'm not sure the complaint is given the direct attention of a knowledgable technician - Something is slowing us down, they'e been out to the Condo but no isolated an issue yet.

We're about to complain again... Again this is Bangkok, not Chiang Mai, but I guess many of the issues overlap.

My 3BB has been really slow the last few days, so maybe not related to True.

For example yesterday and today download of about 3.5 - 4 whereas it should be more like 10-12

Could be , but something going awry with the whole system because even domestic speeds less than half

Are you referring to torrent downloads? I went with True for two days, and it was so bad I went to 3BB- for a week or so I had both running in my house, and, after trying the same sites and downloads on the same computer, I'm convinced True throttles speeds for certain file types or sites (both scored about the same on a modem speed test, so the download speeds should have been equivalent)- the 3BB download speeds were up to 10x faster with all conditions being exactly the same.

Edited by flare

I am getting this in the Pattaya area , it deteriorated in the last week or two and is particularly bad in the evenings.

Accessing any forum seems sluggish in the mornings.

In fact it has also become useless for streaming later in the day.

I might get 30 MB/3 to a server in Bangkok, but I measured 0.5MB to a UK server last night, pretty much useless.

I wonder if it is because of the Rugby World Cup???

But as per post above I suspect a firewall.

Switching to a VPN does not seem to help.

I was under the impression that I had to complete a year with True to avoid penalties.

My neighbours have 3BB and lost all internet for a few days after the storm last week.

Edited by jacko45k

I have True Cable here in Pattaya (Darkside) and it is without doubt the worst internet I have ever had the displeasure of using, it can take so long to open any site that is not Thai based that it will just give up the ghost and drop out, my neighours 3BB on the other hand has no such problems, when he pays the bill that is.

True claim 30mb download speeds, what a joke, when I try a ping test it can get close, but when trying to stream video it is at best 3-4 mb, and yes I am also sure they are throttling offshore sites.

They also seem to be in cahouts with the censors, as sites that are automatically blocked when using True are not blocked when using 3BB.

I changed 3 weeks ago from 3bb 10mb 599bt to true viber 30mb 799.I changed because 3bbb not reliable,many black outs .True no black outs but very slow or not usable if I try to open international websites.I wish I did not change.I stay not far from Chonburi city

I changed 3 weeks ago from 3bb 10mb 599bt to true viber 30mb 799.I changed because 3bbb not reliable,many black outs .True no black outs but very slow or not usable if I try to open international websites.I wish I did not change.I stay not far from Chonburi city

If you pay peanuts for your internet connection what do you expect spend the money and get CAT. I have used most and Cat is the way to go and good service as well.

Edited by whiteman

True, like most other service providers in Thailand, useless service.

In the village that the wife's folks live in a true technician came to fix the wifi box (wireless from tower) on the outside of the house and in asking the technician advised that the True optic cable was in the next street with a box (15 spots with 2 used) at the school.

Went to true district office to arrange connection and was quoted 39,000 Baht plus modem!

I explained that their optic cable was 460 metres (via pole to pole) but I was told by the manager that I would have to pay for a new optic cable to run 5 kilometres from the next village as each optic cable has only 1 user.

What bull sh_t!

Amazing Thailand

If you pay peanuts for your internet connection what do you expect spend the money and get CAT. I have used most and Cat is the way to go and good service as well.

What's the point of paying 3000bt for internet if there is not enough international bandwith.I have good speed 36mb dl and 4 mb ul, speed is not the problem

In Bangkok my True internet has been very hit and miss for a few months.

We've complained, they've changed channel (whatever that means), they've come and changed the router (to one with a less powerful Wifi which means I have to boost the Wifi to my bedroom).

I am still getting intermittent service, it just slows down to the point pages such as Facebook / ThaiVisa.com are very slow to load.

When we do complain I suspect True of just changing something, anything just to show they are doing something, I'm not sure the complaint is given the direct attention of a knowledgable technician - Something is slowing us down, they'e been out to the Condo but no isolated an issue yet.

We're about to complain again... Again this is Bangkok, not Chiang Mai, but I guess many of the issues overlap.

Exactly the same in Korat

Wifi which means I have to boost the Wifi to my bedroom).

I'm not sure the complaint is given the direct attention of a knowledgable technician - Something is slowing us down, they'e been out to the Condo but no isolated an issue yet.

Wifi boosters and range extenders generally work by using 2 channels and halving the bandwidth..

Just a FYI but I doubt your wifi is the bottleneck.

maybe the Great Firewall is already installed in your area???biggrin.png

To be honest the speed varies within the day. Sometimes you are surprised by high speed, sometimes you feel as somebody's carrying the bits to you.

But the most worse in customer support/service. I waited more than 2 days for their service, others even more.

I'm in Bangkok and use True 18Mbit on Docsis. Surfing the web during many times of the day for international sites sucks big time.

BUT, downloading Blu-rays etc. from usenet is always blazing fast. Mostly speeds to the max of my connection. Also downloading apps from Android Googleplay is very fast.

For sure they do selective throttling of the various traffic/ports!

Another aspect of course is that with websurfng all sites go through some censorship gateway.

Using a vpn doesn't help much with websurfng.

To be honest the speed varies within the day. Sometimes you are surprised by high speed, sometimes you feel as somebody's carrying the bits to you.

But the most worse in customer support/service. I waited more than 2 days for their service, others even more.

I have been very happy with 'True up until the last two weeks. When I call to complain I can't even get an English speaking response.

Living in the "sticks", a farang recommended 3BB - it was also the cheapest. Started off with the el cheapo but now have upgraded to ???.

Big bonus - something wrong. Wife telephones them. They gave us their mobile nos. 2 tech arrive same day!

That is, in my mind, a good deal.

My 3BB has been really slow the last few days, so maybe not related to True.

For example yesterday and today download of about 3.5 - 4 whereas it should be more like 10-12

Could be , but something going awry with the whole system because even domestic speeds less than half

It's been slow in Pattaya lately. Maybe the rains ?

I have been very happy with 'True up until the last two weeks. When I call to complain I can't even get an English speaking response.

that's "TRUE". You need somebody to call there. Otherwise you are "Lost in Translation"

I'm using True (30Mbit) in Udon. I've noticed over the last week or so that early-mid evening it can take forever to resolve the DNS of a site, but the bandwidth once connected seems reasonable. I think I've tried them all now, and a call to the help desk also seems to magically resolve any issues for a short while, then back to square one.

I finally called True and got an English speaking lady. Actually quite good English at that. I told her my problem and she said that international web sites were blocked for me. Something about for my security. I asked that she not worry about my security and she made a few magical gestures and viola - I have good internet connections again.

Last 3 days - True DOCSIS in Chiangmai has been terrible for me. So much so i have just signed up for 3BB fiber. However, the cafe near to me uses 3BB and the internet has also been terrible there for a few days. I suspect there is a probably an issue with the international link or the government is "monitoring" things.

Would you, or any other TV members, know anything about CAT in an area about 40 km north of Chiang Mai? I also would like to know who is the best in that area. Does anybody know? Thank you.

Edited by peergin