uk passport renewal need for change

bedbugy

hi uk expats

next year i need a new uk passport i am retired and live in the south

i will spend over 16 hours on a train to get to bangkok to renew my passport this journey and 3 more gives me the shudders after reading of the death of an expat from the north post-46475-0-80347300-1443232144_thumb.jpost-46475-0-01361400-1443232208_thumb.j

what i would like to know is how many uk expats in thailand

are the staff at the agency english thai

if a doctors note says unable to travel will they do it by post

do expats uk who live in malysia have to go to k/l

or is this rule world wide

iam in process of writing a letter to the uk government and need this info also to the mirror

i have read reports that one applicant went in a wheel chair with oxygen bottle and mask

the perils os getting old

I agree that this is an appalling imposition to make on the unwell or elderly. There should be some system in place to allow such people an easier way of applying.

If I were faced with this sort of problem I would send my application form to a friend in the UK and get them to forward it to the passport office there. Then they could send the new passport back to me when they get it. Yes I know it breaks all sorts of petty rules but I would rather do that than have to put up with a long and pointless journey.

The VFS agents in Bangkok that handle UK passport renewals will allow the application to be delivered by and the new passport to be collected by a third party subject to stringent but not onerous verification of that third parties identity and their agreement.

Rather than beat you gums at a chinless oik in Whitehall, do some reading on this forum... No, scratch that as most UK passport renewal threads herein are mired in obfuscation, misinformation, bile and vitriol. Better get in touch directly with UK the passport agency in the UK and they will refer you to the proper procedures and the correct contact channels at VFS in Bangkok.

I note on the gov uk website the page has been updated two days ago ( 24 Sept ) I do not know what was updated but it still says a third party can do your application but says you must collect it in person. Anyone know if that ' collection' bit is correct.?

Edited by pontious

As much as I feel for that old guy (must have been an horrific journey), the amount of uk pension he would have been receiving wouldn't have been enough to retire on in Thailand so he would have had other income. I'm not saying what he had to do was acceptable, I'm just saying the story is kind of blaming his lack of income solely on the uk government which wouldn't be the case.

Edited by Jay1

I note on the gov uk website the page has been updated two days ago ( 24 Sept ) I do not know what was updated but it still says a third party can do your application but says you must collect it in person. Anyone know if that ' collection' bit is correct.?

Just checked the website and you are correct.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

On application it states:

'You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.'

On collection it states:

'Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied - you must collect it in person.'

This is definitely a reversal of what was stated previously - the applicant had to attend but it could be collected by someone authorised by the applicant. Maybe there have been instances of passports going astray and they consider that the collection part of the process is the important action.

Interestingly there is a visa company in Pattaya that, for a price (Bt5,000), will submit the application and arrange the collection of the new passport. No idea if this is an official arrangement with the Trendy Office and, if so, whether visa companies in other locations offer the same service.

The VFS agents in Bangkok that handle UK passport renewals will allow the application to be delivered by and the new passport to be collected by a third party subject to stringent but not onerous verification of that third parties identity and their agreement.

Rather than beat you gums at a chinless oik in Whitehall, do some reading on this forum... No, scratch that as most UK passport renewal threads herein are mired in obfuscation, misinformation, bile and vitriol. Better get in touch directly with UK the passport agency in the UK and they will refer you to the proper procedures and the correct contact channels at VFS in Bangkok.

How would that change anything?

I, or someone I appoint, will have to travel from Chiang Mai to Bangkok to apply. A few days later I have to travel again from Chiang Mai to bangkok to collect.

WHY?

My first new passport application was at the Thai consulate in Chiang Mai.

My second involved a trip to the DHL office in Chiang Mai.

Why do I now need to travel to Bangkok twice for the next one?

You mentioned bile and vitriol in your post. Add hatred and vindictiveness for me. I will sh-it on their floors, I will insult and show no respect to their staff, I will hate them.

When I re-newed mine last October, I did go in person. It was a hassle but as I am not as old as the poor gentleman that passed away I sucked it up and did it. I did ask the counter staff if I could have a third party pick up on my behalf and they said I could as long as I wrote a letter granting the person permission to do so. The letter I wrote was quite brief, it contained my details, the name of the person who would be collecting for me. I posted the letter plus receipt just in case to my sister in law who works not far from VFS office. All my sister in law had to show was her Thai ID to show that it matched the name I had put in the letter and she was able to then send it back to me. I got my passport back in 4 weeks and that included the time to send by post from BKK to me in hand. I was amazed!!

R.I.P. the OP's elderly friend from Tha-Ton. wai2.gif

The system of sending your passport-application to the FCO-office in Hong Kong, via DHL both ways (prepaying the return), worked quite well for a few years.

So how come the UKPA cannot now accept us using DHL, to send in our applications in the same way, to a convenient-to-them address in the UK if need be ?

Why does their every attempt to streamline their systems cost us more, take longer, and add to our inconvenience ? blink.png

I think the point is that they want to actually see the applicant, in person, at least once to avoid passports being issued fraudulently.

I dont imagine that anyone who has lived in Thailand for more than a week would be unaware of the extent of fraud and corruption here, and how little it costs to get the rules bent. I would rather that this didnt happen in respect to a passport with my name on it.

But they should introduce some system to make it easier for those who are not up to the trip. As far as I know the US consulate has an outreach programme where an agent goes to different areas from time to time to facilitate paperwork.

Edited by KittenKong

You do not have to attend yourself. Someone else can take your applications in for you. Someone else can pick it up to. I agree by post would be a lot better. I have just renewed a passport and waiting for email to say its back. A the moment they estimate a 4 week turn around.

So why does it not say that on the (updated 24 Sep 2015) gov uk 'Thailand Passport ' information.

It says a third party can hand in your application. But it then states you have to pick it up 'in person'. No mention of a third party.

You do not have to attend yourself. Someone else can take your applications in for you. Someone else can pick it up to. I agree by post would be a lot better. I have just renewed a passport and waiting for email to say its back. A the moment they estimate a 4 week turn around.

So why does it not say that on the (updated 24 Sep 2015) gov uk 'Thailand Passport ' information.

It says a third party can hand in your application. But it then states you have to pick it up 'in person'. No mention of a third party.

Well all I can say is I believe you can use a third party to pick it up for you.. The reason being on my form I was given back it clearly says so. I have also found information to be ambiguous. But as I think someone else pointed out you can phone the UK. Better not as it seems to get frustrated.

post-174826-14432794449512_thumb.jpg

I think the point is that they want to actually see the applicant, in person, at least once to avoid passports being issued fraudulently.

I dont imagine that anyone who has lived in Thailand for more than a week would be unaware of the extent of fraud and corruption here, and how little it costs to get the rules bent. I would rather that this didnt happen in respect to a passport with my name on it.

But they should introduce some system to make it easier for those who are not up to the trip. As far as I know the US consulate has an outreach programme where an agent goes to different areas from time to time to facilitate paperwork.

Yet for UK-residents, there is no such requirement, to actually see the applicant in person ? wink.png

If it is necessary, then perhaps delivery and/or collection of the paperwork to one's local consulate might satisfy that need.

Yet for UK-residents, there is no such requirement, to actually see the applicant in person ? wink.png

If it is necessary, then perhaps delivery and/or collection of the paperwork to one's local consulate might satisfy that need.

There is no such requirement.

The consulate/embassy are not involved in any way and the decision has been made to subcontract the renewal process to an external agency.

Nobody needs to undertake a 16 hour journey unless the wish to.

As mentioned in post No 6 above, there is a Company in Pattaya that will handle the application for a new passport. Fine for those living in the area, as it is necessary to visit their offices to complete the application etc. No good for people from the North, East or South though

I believe there is a similar company helping people in Isaan to obtain passports without visiting Bangkok. They may be able to assist those form the North and Soiuth of Thailand as well. PM me for details.

The system of sending your passport-application to the FCO-office in Hong Kong, via DHL both ways (prepaying the return), worked quite well for a few years.

So how come the UKPA cannot now accept us using DHL, to send in our applications in the same way, to a convenient-to-them address in the UK if need be ?

Why does their every attempt to streamline their systems cost us more, take longer, and add to our inconvenience ? blink.png

I will tell you why you can't send and accept by DHL

The powers that be in the HMPO who sanctioned this contract with the VFS giving them a " nice little earner"

And did not give two monkeys about people having to travel up to 4,000 kilometres to renew a passport,

The VFS receive a fee from the HMPO per appointment so by doing the common sense way and letting you send by mail means NO " nice little earner" for the VFS.

Just to show you again my email today ref collection in Peron or by a third party.

is now ready for collection from HMPO Bangkok Centre at Trendy Building, 28th Floor, Sukhumvit Soi13, Klongtoey-Nua, Bangkok 10110

Our office is open from Mon-Fri on all working days between 0900 and 1500 hours.

Please bring:

a. your copy of the receipt of documents submitted,

b. a printed copy of this letter and show it at the reception desk on the ground floor of Trendy Building, to be allowed entry into the Centre.

Please note the following details:

a. When collecting the passport you must bring your previous passport(s) with you for cancellation. If you do not do so, then per HMPO rules, the new passport cannot be handed over. If you have lost/misplaced your previous passport then you would need to complete a form that will be provided at our office and the new passport can then be provided to you.

b. Please note that passports cannot be couriered. You may however arrange for a third party to collect your passport on your behalf. If a third party representative will be collecting the passport on your behalf, they will be required to bring the following with them:

i. Your previous passport(s) (for cancellation)

ii. Photo ID of the third party

iii. An authority letter signed by you giving the third party authorisation from you, stating his/her name and that you are permitting him/her to collect the passport on your behalf.

iv. If a third party representative is collecting a child's passport the letter of authority must be provided and signed by the person who has parental responsibility, and who signed the declaration when the application was made.

c. Please note that your new/renewed passport will arrive separately from any original documents that will be returned to you by HMPO. This is per HMPO processes.

QUERIES:

· For any queries about your passport application, please contact the Passport Advice Line on +44 300 222 0000 and not the local Embassy, High Commission or Application Centre.

· Should you wish to contact HMPO at Liverpool, the email address is : [email protected] and the telephone number is + 44 (0) 300 222 0000.

· More information on HMPO is available at : www.gov.uk

GENERAL:

· We are committed to serving you with both courtesy and respect. We ask that you treat our staff in the same manner. We shall be constrained not to serve those who use offensive language or behave in an aggressive manner.

Please note this email address ([email protected]) is used only to schedule passport application submission appointments, and to advise you about passports/original documents being ready for collection. Queries sent to this e-mail address will not be responded to.

Best wishes,

HMPO Bangkok Officer

--------

VFS GLOBAL

EST. 2001 | Partnering Governments. Providing Solutions.

The Trendy Office Building, 28 Floor, 10/200 Sukhumvit soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand

E mail : [email protected]

Two weeks turn around too. Not bad

... I will sh-it on their floors, I will insult and show no respect to their staff, I will hate them.[/size]

Whatever floats your boat...

And with the attitude shown by "loaded" you suprised why the BE dont want to deal with some of the chav's who live here ?

With the following Quote from the above posted email regarding their service via VFS at Trendy,

GENERAL:

· We are committed to serving you with both courtesy and respect. We ask that you treat our staff in the same manner. We shall be constrained not to serve those who use offensive language or behave in an aggressive manner.
Maybe he's already been there (I hope he brought his own arse wipe).
Edited by NanLaew

The bizarre part is that it clearly states that you must do it in person and then immediately goes on to tell you that you can get someone else to do it for you.

This is like having a road sign saying "no parking except when parked".

Edited by KittenKong

I did that a couple of years ago, and no problem except that I had to pay with a UK Credit Card in DOLLARS, so 2.5% was added for a foreign transaction.

My son who lives in Dubai needs to renew his passport. He must send paperwork and old passport to.....DUSSELDORF, and pay in Euros ! And be without a passport for 4 weeks or more so cannot travel anywhere.

<deleted> is this all about, it's a BRITISH passport.

Thanks for the update CG. The point here surely is the incorrect information on the GOV UK website. That clearly states ' you must collect it in person'. You should not have to be a member of an expat forum to know that statement is incorrect.

I found a few things to be Contradictory.

Also you are expected to get there no more than 5 mins before your appointment. I actually got 4th there 2 hours early but was able to go straight in. The email from them for the appointment says they will keep the passport for 3 weeks before returning it to the UK. When speaking to them they say a month. The actual people Thais there are very helpful as in polite. The expected turnaround was 4 weeks at this quiet time but in fact was 2 weeks. Why we can't post the application to them and have it returned by courier I just don't understand.

Well I do but it's just an overkill.

Just to show you again my email today ref collection in Peron or by a third party.

is now ready for collection from HMPO Bangkok Centre at Trendy Building, 28th Floor, Sukhumvit Soi13, Klongtoey-Nua, Bangkok 10110

Our office is open from Mon-Fri on all working days between 0900 and 1500 hours.

Please bring:

a. your copy of the receipt of documents submitted,

b. a printed copy of this letter and show it at the reception desk on the ground floor of Trendy Building, to be allowed entry into the Centre.

Please note the following details:

a. When collecting the passport you must bring your previous passport(s) with you for cancellation. If you do not do so, then per HMPO rules, the new passport cannot be handed over. If you have lost/misplaced your previous passport then you would need to complete a form that will be provided at our office and the new passport can then be provided to you.

b. Please note that passports cannot be couriered. You may however arrange for a third party to collect your passport on your behalf. If a third party representative will be collecting the passport on your behalf, they will be required to bring the following with them:

i. Your previous passport(s) (for cancellation)

ii. Photo ID of the third party

iii. An authority letter signed by you giving the third party authorisation from you, stating his/her name and that you are permitting him/her to collect the passport on your behalf.

iv. If a third party representative is collecting a child's passport the letter of authority must be provided and signed by the person who has parental responsibility, and who signed the declaration when the application was made.

c. Please note that your new/renewed passport will arrive separately from any original documents that will be returned to you by HMPO. This is per HMPO processes.

QUERIES:

· For any queries about your passport application, please contact the Passport Advice Line on +44 300 222 0000 and not the local Embassy, High Commission or Application Centre.

· Should you wish to contact HMPO at Liverpool, the email address is : [email protected] and the telephone number is + 44 (0) 300 222 0000.

· More information on HMPO is available at : www.gov.uk

GENERAL:

Please note this email address ([email protected]) is used only to schedule passport application submission appointments, and to advise you about passports/original documents being ready for collection. Queries sent to this e-mail address will not be responded to.

Best wishes,

HMPO Bangkok Officer

--------

VFS GLOBAL

EST. 2001 | Partnering Governments. Providing Solutions.

The Trendy Office Building, 28 Floor, 10/200 Sukhumvit soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand

E mail : [email protected]

Two weeks turn around too. Not bad

The same email I got last year, and my wife collected it without a problem.

It was a good thing she could, I could hardly stand up at the time far less walk. After about 10 weeks the passport came back a couple of days before my under consideration stamp expired. Fortunately you can drive up to the door at Sri Ratcha immigration.