Retirement Visa by any other name

The problem is that we don't "all know what they are talking about".

The term "retirement visa" is routinely used here for extensions based on retirement as well as Non Immigrant O-A visas and Non Immigrant O Visas, all of these having different rules and requirements. So when we have someone living here on an extension of stay saying he has a retirement visa and asking if he needs a re-entry permit if he wants to leave for a trip, the answer is 'yes'. But if no-one points out that he really has an extension, then someone else with a Non Immigrant O-A visa will think that he will also need a re-entry permit before leaving. Similarly, when someone asks about the requirements to obtain a retirement visa (but is talking about a Non Immigrant O-A visa), and is told that he can qualify with the equivalent of Baht 800k in a bank outside Thailand, then others who wants an extension will think that they can also qualify with funds in their home bank.. And when someone from Great Britain wants a one year multiple entry Non Immigrant O visa and is told that he needs to receive a government pension to qualify, then others will think that the same applies to the Non Immigrant O-A visa.

The above examples are not ones I have made up, but real life examples about people here on Thai Visa being confused about the rules because they mix up the rules and requirements between the different types of visas and extensions, all because people use the wrong terminology. And as you point out, embassies and Immigration are adding to that confusion. If everyone used the correct terms, then much of this confusion could be avoided.

Sophon

While I agree with all that is said, my point was. If we are having a conversation and I tell you that I am here on a Retirement Visa, are you going to correct me? Or do you understand what I am talking about. Are you telling me that I should say, I am here on a Non Immigrant O-A visa?

Why is it that when someone refers to an extension of stay and calls it a Retirement Visa, there are so many posting that it is an Extension of Stay "Not" a Retirement Visa?

Are these people just trying to be difficult or want to show that they are all experts in the visa process. So, someone calls it a Retirement Visa. So What? We all know what they are talking about.

Thai law firms advertise world wide and call it a Retirement Visa. Yes, it is an Extension of Stay based on Retirement. Get over it. I know what they are talking about and so don't you.

What is your problem?

I think you have to get over it.

Have a nice day.

Visas are given out at Embassies/consulates. Extensions are done at immigration. If you call your extension a "visa" then you are confusing many people...who want to get this nasty business done correctly...at the right place.

It is not that people are trying to be "Mr. Know it all"....rather it is lazy posters implying that they do not need an extension of stay, by referring to a non existant "One year retirement visa".

• Like 2

Visas are given out at Embassies/consulates. Extensions are done at immigration. If you call your extension a "visa" then you are confusing many people...who want to get this nasty business done correctly...at the right place.

It is not that people are trying to be "Mr. Know it all"....rather it is lazy posters implying that they do not need an extension of stay, by referring to a non existant "One year retirement visa".

Not exactly. You can get a 90 day O visa in Thailand if used as the first step towards a retirement extension.
  • Like 2

OP, Don't despair. There is no such thing as a multiple entry tourist visa, Yet there has been numerous posts about them every week.

The visa fairies have listen and they are giving us a multiple entry tourist visa for a bargain 5000 baht.

Start posting about retirement visas and they may also grant your wish.

Another visa the fairies should consider is an overstay visa. It would be a cash cow they could charge 20,000 baht for it.

OP, Don't despair. There is no such thing as a multiple entry tourist visa, Yet there has been numerous posts about them every week.

The visa fairies have listen and they are giving us a multiple entry tourist visa for a bargain 5000 baht.

Start posting about retirement visas and they may also grant your wish.

Another visa the fairies should consider is an overstay visa. It would be a cash cow they could charge 20,000 baht for it.

wrong post sorry

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 1

So I guess we will just go on Chastising people for using the wrong terminology in a post. Yah, that will teach em.

It's not about chastising, it's about being able to give accurate advice when asked for.

A perfect example here of imprecise terminology being used

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/858771-reporting-first-time-90-days-on-marriage-visa-what-forms-etc-do-i-need-and-is-there-any-cost/

Which results in people having to guess what the OP is asking obout.

There is, of course, no "marriage visa"

Yes it is sheer pedantry imo, although it is true that when one looks more closely at an issue exact terminology is essential to determine whether one is talking about a new application, or a renewal.

But in the main if someone comes on the boards and says "I have just turned 50 can I get a retirement visa ? ", I'd say it is fairly simple to work out what he wants. And many questions are of this nature.

Somewhat misleading then for perhaps some to state, " there is no such thing as a reitirement visa". And then launch in to legal prose that even the dryest of laconic lawyers would be proud to put their name against, serving only to confuse someone who clearly is half way there already.

One word solves it- putative, ie, what is commonly accepted, by the reasonable anyway!

It is then the putative retirement visa.

I think, for me, that it is important that for the sake of good order, not to mix things up, that it is much better to learn and call stuff for what it is.....

Ignorance is never a good thing, and shouldn´t be encouraged in any way in life. It is better for the less knowledgeable to learn than for the vise to step a side...

There is always a reason that there is different words in a language, and if one doesn´t acknowledge that, than we have abig problem. Big law-firms do not know the correct wording, Immigration.officers do not know the correct wording.. Does THAT makes it right?

Glegolo

ps. For post number 2 - WRONG! When you come to Thailand you have bought a VISA, you than arrive and are given by the IO an permission to stay OR period to stay.

When this runs out, it is no longer a permission or period to stay, and the VISA are about to die with it... THAN it is time to apply for a extension of stay from that permission to stay.... OK....

THIS IS THE REASON why we should use the correct wording!!

I'm with the OP on this. I find it annoying when pedantic forum members try to correct people whenever they use the informal term.

I'm going to call it a "retirement visa" as long as I post on this forum. I've made one concession - I use parentheses so as not to upset the OCD crowd too much.

Using abbreviated and/or informal terminology is common in English. Get over it! Saying it's: "an extension of stay based on retirement" sounds awkward in most contexts. When people are discussing the mechanics of how to get a visa based on retirement that's different, but if someone asks me what visa I've got, it's a "retirement visa", end of story.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2