Speedtest results down since weekend?

MJKT2014

Considering the govt. wants to economise with a single gateway I am tempted to wonder if "they" might not be doing a trial run just to monitor the chaos. I would have thought that most ISPs would have re-routing capabilities for damaged cable scenarios. Also can someone tell me why the international internet goes via Malaysia to Singapore? If Malaysia were to get upset with Thailand for any reason, a nice big pair of wire cutters could close down the internet to and from Thailand.

Probably just a case of best deal/lowest cost as ISPs have to buy bandwidth on these undersea cables. A person can use this website to see where undersea cable lines land in each country around the world, but it won't show the lines "within" a country. According to this map Thailand has four locations where undersea lines land in Thailand...now whether TOT uses any of those 4 points is up to them...they might decided to use point in Malaysia if they got a better/lower cost bandwidth deal.

And I can't remember the number of posts where a ISP blamed the problem on some broken undersea line...probably a standard excuse to deflect the problem...the real problem is probably within the ISP's network.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the govt. wants to economise with a single gateway I am tempted to wonder if "they" might not be doing a trial run just to monitor the chaos. I would have thought that most ISPs would have re-routing capabilities for damaged cable scenarios. Also can someone tell me why the international internet goes via Malaysia to Singapore? If Malaysia were to get upset with Thailand for any reason, a nice big pair of wire cutters could close down the internet to and from Thailand.

There are re-routing capabilities. That's why we can still access the rest of the world - albeit slowly. International bandwidth is expensive so there isn't much excess capacity for contingencies. Everyone has to share whats left.

You could compare it to the traffic in Bangkok. Take a road like Vibhavadi Rangsit which is only one of a few main roads leading north out of the city. If it floods or is blocked by an accident it can paralyse half of BKK.

Probably just a case of best deal/lowest cost as ISPs have to buy bandwidth on these undersea cables. A person can use this website to see where undersea cable lines land in each country around the world, but it won't show the lines "within" a country. According to this map Thailand has four locations where undersea lines land in Thailand...now whether TOT uses any of those 4 points is up to them...they might decided to use point in Malaysia if they got a better/lower cost bandwidth deal.

And I can't remember the number of posts where a ISP blamed the problem on some broken undersea line...probably a standard excuse to deflect the problem...the real problem is probably within the ISP's network.

Many thanks for your enlightenment guys.

TOT WIfi nominally 13 Mb/sec.

With testmy.net: Download 3.9 mbps, Upload 199 Kbps.

With Ookla: Download 10.9 Mbps, Upload 0.43 Mbps.

What a difference a test site makes!

Its not the "test site". Its the specific server that the ping is sent back and forth to.

As mentioned earlier I'm on a True 15Mb DOCSIS/cable plan here in Bangkok. I just ran a speedtest against the TOT speedtester (i.e., an in Thailand test) and testmy.net speedtester to San Jose U.S. I got a 24Mb download speed on the TOT/in Thailand test, which is normal for me, and only 521Kb on the testmy.net test, which is not normal for me...I usually get around 3Mb.

Edited by Pib

Surely I am not the only person on Thong Lor that has had slow, unusable internet for the past 4 days.

No, I started this thread after my True Online went tits up since last Friday and I am in the Thonglor area as well.

The line is usable for averaging about a third of the 13mbps we are paying for. Until now True Online help (will get to us in 24hours) hasn't replied for five days.

Thanks to other poster who mentioned a cable border issue. First I've heard of it but more promising than a firewall issue I was worried about.

Any word on the cable issue in Padang Besar?

Both of my connections are working fine but my latency to Australian server is still 50ms higher than normal.

edit: speed test looking better though

kjY6Cov4W.CQvubjoFZ.png

Edited by crabdog

Things are pretty dire with 3BB in Surin, Isan at the moment. For over a week now the internet has been pretty much unusable at times. Today is probably the worst it has been with testmy.net giving me slower than dialup results.

It's not just me, I have spoken to a few people around the city, they all have the same problem.

Websites are timing out, and gaming is just a non-starter.