Bangkok governor proposes car sale restriction

Jonathan Fairfield

>"We have to encourage the use of public transport. In doing so, we have to do much more than developing efficient publictransport systems. We will have change commuters' behaviours and lifestyle too," he pointed out.

That's right. You'll have to make it more copius and more expensive to use the car (ie. toll fares, car tax, fuel, cost of parking spots).

BUT you'll also have to make it easier, more comfortable and "more stylish" to use public transport. As Bangkok has only 3 (soon 4) modern (i.e. rail-bound) public transport lines, it will be essential to modernise the commuter-bus system.

1. Bus lanes

2. new buses (c'mon, BKK-Buses are 40 years old now, hot, stinky, loud, dangerous - are you really expect middle-class car-drivers to switch to these sardine-cans?)

3. new Bus-stops with ticket vending machines

4. new Bus-stops with seats and a clear map (have you ever seen any falang using these buses? No one understands their system)

5. new Bus-stops without annoying TucTucs and Taxis waiting

6. new Bus-stops with timetables. If you can't indicate to the minute the departure because of the traffic-congestions, than at least tell your commuters when is the first and the last trip.

I have been using BKK-Buses for years, but you have to buy the map in a book store, still you have to ask people a lot and still it's annoying. For example, at some bus-stops you have to flag-down the driver, otherwise he won't stop but will pass high speed on the inner lane instead. So in night-time you have to stare continously on the traffic-flow and in the car-beams to see if your bus-number arrives....

>"We have to encourage the use of public transport. In doing so, we have to do much more than developing efficient publictransport systems. We will have change commuters' behaviours and lifestyle too," he pointed out.

That's right. You'll have to make it more copius and more expensive to use the car (ie. toll fares, car tax, fuel, cost of parking spots).

BUT you'll also have to make it easier, more comfortable and "more stylish" to use public transport. As Bangkok has only 3 (soon 4) modern (i.e. rail-bound) public transport lines, it will be essential to modernise the commuter-bus system.

1. Bus lanes

2. new buses (c'mon, BKK-Buses are 40 years old now, hot, stinky, loud, dangerous - are you really expect middle-class car-drivers to switch to these sardine-cans?)

3. new Bus-stops with ticket vending machines

4. new Bus-stops with seats and a clear map (have you ever seen any falang using these buses? No one understands their system)

5. new Bus-stops without annoying TucTucs and Taxis waiting

6. new Bus-stops with timetables. If you can't indicate to the minute the departure because of the traffic-congestions, than at least tell your commuters when is the first and the last trip.

I have been using BKK-Buses for years, but you have to buy the map in a book store, still you have to ask people a lot and still it's annoying. For example, at some bus-stops you have to flag-down the driver, otherwise he won't stop but will pass high speed on the inner lane instead. So in night-time you have to stare continously on the traffic-flow and in the car-beams to see if your bus-number arrives....

Realistically, the only option is to pedestrianise large bits of the CBD to force people onto public transport. They might as well, most downtown roads are car parks from 4.45 until 6.30 every day.

This is a ridiculous idea.

It used to be the law in Singapore for a long time.

Not only that but you had to take part in a lottery every month to actually get permission to buy the car in the first place.

If you had 2 cars the second one could only be used on weekends and public holidays and for only a few other days per month unless you "bought" extra days and they were very expensive.

I think it is a great idea for BKK which has far too many cars already.

Finally! It's insane that they all need a Fortuner to drive to office or to the mall. Real Somchai's all need a pickuptruck, the larger the better and they even can't make a U-turn without blocking 2 lanes. Parking that thing in the mall needs assitance and takes ages.

In Europe mini-cars are in fashion, also they use far much fuel (read cleaner air) and 2 fit on 1 parkinglot.

The Fiat 500 series , just relaunched, is great. Never seen one in Thailand where Mini seems to have captured that sensible end of the market..particularly for getting around the city.

Yep, buy a Mini....................for 3 times the price that it would cost in the UK.

How about the BMA actually building some multi story carparks next to or within walking distance of the current Skytrain and MRT links. And insisting that any future outlying stations have adequate parking.

I don't think that the parking is the only problem - there are too many cars on the road, cars that seem to be as big as trucks, the traffic is insane. I would never ride a car in this city, I'll get through the traffic on my motorbike, as dangerous as it is.

That's the point. For out of town drivers. If / when they can link to the skytrain/ MRT then more would actually leave their cars outside Bkk. I know I would!

I live in rural Thailand and on the odd occasion that I come to BKK I usually either stay at a hotel somewhere near Sukhumvit 103 and take the Skytrain into town or stay out at my BIL place out near Khlong Dan and take a taxi into Soi Bearing BTS at Bang Na and back out again.

It is more expensive in the short term but cheaper in the long term.

The OP is about having a parking space where the vehicle owner lives, or so I assume......our Soi in Chutuchuk has now maybe 300 new single room Thai "condos"...........many have cars and take all the trafficable space in the soi......a normal nightmare for many residents.

Unfortunately, approval for a vehicle will most likely mean a letter from the landlord stating that a space is available for the tenant............it's simply a waste of time pretending that any measure to control vehicle numbers will ever work in BKK.

The great bike lane plan has now been taken over by car parking and vendors...........Sukhamband and his merry crew of scammers cannot control BKK roads!

Edited by ChrisY1

You can spend all your free time stuck in traffic. Its one of the reasons I moved out of Bangkok. Even a trip to the local mall could take up a half day because of the traffic. The answer has to be to reduce traffic and the only way that is going to happen is if it costs a lot of money to use your car. Congestion charge would be one solution. Another would be big parking lots at the end of metro lines. Congestion charges more expensive at peak times too.

""We have to encourage the use of public transport. In doing so, we have to do much more than developing efficient publictransport systems"

but that would be a start.... car parks at all outlying metro stations, bus lanes on primary routes and regulated bus services.

then start inventing more regulations...

then as a last resort - actually enforce existing laws (oops now I am getting carried away)

I don't think a congestion charge would help the problem either. There's a lot of money in BKK and all that it would do is marginalize the poor or people coming from out of town.

Whenever I go to BKK I drive there. Why? because I refuse to pay 100baht on the train based on the colour of my skin (there's no parking at my local trainstation either), taxis wont take me anywhere, the BTS and MRT are already at full capacity during rush hours. Park and ride schemes would be a better alternative in my mind.

BMA to reduce private cars amid growing traffic crisis

BANGKOK, 1 October 2015 (NNT) – The Governor of Bangkok says the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is planning to reduce the use of private cars in the capital, which faces a looming traffic crisis.

During a meeting to brainstorm on Bangkok's traffic problems, Governor M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra stressed the need to apply efficient traffic-control measures to cope with heavier congestion in the future.

By 2029, Bangkok’s electric rail system is projected to expand to five times its current range and capacity, covering a distance of 300km. However, the number of private cars is also forecast to surge from eight million vehicles to 10 million over the same period.

Despite a variety of public transport services, city dwellers prefer to drive their own vehicles. The BMA’s recent survey found that the number of private cars surpassed the number of residents in some families. The Bangkok governor said vehicles in the capital, which average a speed of 19kmph, may slow to an average of 12kmph in 2029.

The governor disclosed that the BMA was mapping out measures to reduce the number of private vehicles in Bangkok. Measures include only allowing residents with parking areas to purchase private vehicles, and imposing extra fees for parking spaces in business districts.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-01 footer_n.gif

In Japan you do have to prove residential parking availability to purchase a motor vehicle.

More to the point is the absolute need in BKK to get a lot of cars off the roads.

It is ridiculous to see car after car with only a driver all heading in the same direction.

Car pooling, bus transit lanes, commuter parking & the removal of sidewalk businesses that prohibit traffic flow should be the goverments priority.

But then TIT, it will never happen.

Edited by PeVee1st

Just promote motorcycles and bicycles, 12 km/hr is ridiculous slow. Running goes faster tongue.png

And don't let empty taxi's dwell around, they drive very slow when hunting for customers.

Also motocy-tricycles who collect scrapmetal for recycling or pushcarts don't belong on the roads in a modern city. They even don't have light or insurance.

Now every secretary or office-girl has a new car and after dark they drive very slow because they don't see anything with the dark tanned windows.

Better roads and roadsigns will also help a lot to prevent accidents. And lady's better drive a small car....Is easyier when they are on the phone while driving.

The OP is about having a parking space where the vehicle owner lives, or so I assume......our Soi in Chutuchuk has now maybe 300 new single room Thai "condos"...........many have cars and take all the trafficable space in the soi......a normal nightmare for many residents.

Unfortunately, approval for a vehicle will most likely mean a letter from the landlord stating that a space is available for the tenant............it's simply a waste of time pretending that any measure to control vehicle numbers will ever work in BKK.

The great bike lane plan has now been taken over by car parking and vendors...........Sukhamband and his merry crew of scammers cannot control BKK roads!

Also the BMA is controlling parking spaces at condo buildings , whereby those without cars but with parking spaces have been able to 'sub let'. Now, probably reasonably enough from a security perpective, those arrangements are under scrutiny and control

This has been the law in Japan for decades. You must have an assigned spot (not a community spot in an open lot.) If your condo/apt doesn't have an assigned spot, the free market takes care of that... You have to rent one somewhere. The cops will come out & check before registering your car; they measure both the car & the spot to make sure the car fits. Of course, the Japanese are notoriously efficient & honest so importing this process to Thailand might not work so well.

This is a far, far better than giving tax breaks to buy a car. You need to tax the behaviors you want to discourage. That screwy tax break did exactly the opposite -- encouraged bringing even more cars into BKK.

Also ALL the shops/restaurants along the main roads should have their own parking. Customers all park on the road which congests traffic a lot.

I admit that i also park on the road to shop there but only because there is no parkinglot.

Main roads are for driving ONLY, not for parking cars or foodstands or taxi's. We need more shops around fuelstations and so, places right next to the mainroads where they can sell fruit or food or anything else. Drivethrough take-away food is the future.

Put all those people in cars on the BTS and MRT and see what happens. Both systems are crammed full of people all the time, especially in central Bangkok. UNLESS they plan to add more cars to the trains, this is an idea leading people on the road to hell.