washing machine drains out the water, any ideas?

2008bangkok

I have a Samsung top loader washing machine that isn't plumbed in. When i do my washing i fill the drum with water then start the wash cycle, all of a sudden now when i put the water in it immediately drains all of the water out, is there any handymen members who might know what is wrong with it?

Thanks

Maybe something wedged in the outlet valve not letting it close properly.

Happens here a few times, have had to remove coins, bits of plastic and hairclips amongst other things that get thrown in with the wash.

Depends on your machine you may be able to get to the open/shut valve by removing the back or you may have to take out the agitator at the bottom of the machine.

If your machine has a drain control an obstruction can sometimes be cleared by filling the machine and rapidly opening/closing the control several times and hope the water pressure will dislodge the obstruction - works sometimes.

smile.png

Maybe something wedged in the outlet valve not letting it close properly.

Happens here a few times, have had to remove coins, bits of plastic and hairclips amongst other things that get thrown in with the wash.

Depends on your machine you may be able to get to the open/shut valve by removing the back or you may have to take out the agitator at the bottom of the machine.

If your machine has a drain control an obstruction can sometimes be cleared by filling the machine and rapidly opening/closing the control several times and hope the water pressure will dislodge the obstruction - works sometimes.

smile.png

It actually started when I put a quilt and sheet in and filled the water up to the top level, Id I was a guessing man I'd say it drained the first time as everything in it plus the water may have made it overweight and it drained as a precaution (if there is such a thing) now it seems to be stuck on draining all the time.

Unplug the machine and leave it that way for a little while. This can work wonders with anything digital (which the controls probably are).

It sounds like you may be in rinse mode, as opposed to wash. Play around with the settings controls, and if you find a reset button somewhere (it may be in a hidden place, like in the back or under a panel) be sure to give it some attention.

If none of this helps try to start the machine in another mode, like rinse or spin, and see what state it leaves you in after it runs its course.

I don't know if this is possible, but could it be the overweight sensor went bust from the wet quilt? Front-loaders seem to handle overload weight better. Then again, I think I busted a front-loader in a laundromat when I tried to wash some pillows once. facepalm.gif

I have to take the drain valve apart at least once a month in my Panasonic top loader to remove coins and big pieces of lint (from big blankets) that stop it from closing. All in all it takes about 15 minutes but I've done it many times. It's mainly a design problem since the valve is mounted in the horizontal not the vertical. I have an old no-name one with the valve mounted in the vertical and have never had a problem. Gravity does wonders!

Solenoid valve not closing. Replace it.

Yes, mounting position does effect these hunks of junk. Buy a few of them when you go to replace them. They are cheap and come in handy for electrically controlling water flow anywhere. For example, timer controlled garden watering.

In washers, if the drain system isn't properly designed they can accumulate lint as well and debris.

Edited by The Snark

Unplug the machine and leave it that way for a little while. This can work wonders with anything digital (which the controls probably are).

It sounds like you may be in rinse mode, as opposed to wash. Play around with the settings controls, and if you find a reset button somewhere (it may be in a hidden place, like in the back or under a panel) be sure to give it some attention.

If none of this helps try to start the machine in another mode, like rinse or spin, and see what state it leaves you in after it runs its course.

I don't know if this is possible, but could it be the overweight sensor went bust from the wet quilt? Front-loaders seem to handle overload weight better. Then again, I think I busted a front-loader in a laundromat when I tried to wash some pillows once. facepalm.gif

Have you by accident turned the 'extra rinse' function on? (If the machine has this function of course.)

Have you by accident turned the 'extra rinse' function on? (If the machine has this function of course.)

I have to take the drain valve apart at least once a month in my Panasonic top loader to remove coins and big pieces of lint (from big blankets) that stop it from closing. All in all it takes about 15 minutes but I've done it many times. It's mainly a design problem since the valve is mounted in the horizontal not the vertical. I have an old no-name one with the valve mounted in the vertical and have never had a problem. Gravity does wonders!

Where is the drain valve,do i need to take the metal plate off the back? im a completely idiot on things like this

Where is the drain valve,do i need to take the metal plate off the back? im a completely idiot on things like this

Well Err! - it would depend on the model of your washing machine wink.png

Will need a model number to be of more help biggrin.png

Well Err! - it would depend on the model of your washing machine wink.png

Will need a model number to be of more help biggrin.png

It is a Samsung toploader 9kg WA11V5

OK, Haven't had any experience with that model but the basic principle will be the same.

Take the back off and look to see where the drain hose is coming out and follow it back to inside the machine. At some point there will be a valve of some sort that controls the water from coming out.

If you don't have a dial/lever on the top of the machine that lets you manually drain the water then I assume the valve is solenoid controlled. With the back off fiddle with the controls on the top of the machine till you get to a drain cycle and you should hear the drain valve click/move. This will identify the valve.

If you don't hear or see anything moving on the drain valve maybe the electrical connection is bad but I still think its something stuck in the valve to stop it closing properly.

Again I don't know the specific layout of your machine but on mine, I could by removing the drain hose, get my fingers and/or a poking stick up into the valve and dislodge the obstruction.

Hope this helps

smile.png

Maybe you should use it correctly. I'm wondering why your surprised its broken, and all the "top loaders" are crap comments are comical. Use the machine as it was designed to be used.. Not how you want it to be.

Thanks for your input I'll bear that in mind, my sunday suggestion to you is please invest in a decent mouthguard because if that the way you speak with people in the real world it won't be to long before somebody rips they out.

Good day to you sir

Maybe you should use it correctly. I'm wondering why your surprised its broken, and all the "top loaders" are crap comments are comical. Use the machine as it was designed to be used.. Not how you want it to be.

Thanks for your input I'll bear that in mind, my sunday suggestion to you is please invest in a decent mouthguard because if that the way you speak with people in the real world it won't be to long before somebody rips they out.

Good day to you sir

Troll mode was off, I guess stating the obvious is offensive? Have a teaspoon of concrete and harden up.

Good day to you sir

Sayonarax's post was a good one, and good advice.

I did not find it offensive at all, and see found errors in his post.

Why would anyone want to "rip they out"??

What are they?

Just saying...coffee1.gif