California governor signs right-to-die legislation

webfact

California governor signs right-to-die legislation
JUDY LIN, Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) — California Gov. Jerry Brown signed legislation Monday allowing terminally ill people in the most populous U.S. state to take their own lives, saying the controversial bill forced him to consider "what I would want in the face of my own death."

Brown, a lifelong Catholic and former Jesuit seminarian, said he acted after discussing the issue with many people, including a Catholic bishop and two of his own doctors.

"I do not know what I would do if I were dying in prolonged and excruciating pain. I am certain, however, that it would be a comfort to be able to consider the options afforded by this bill," the governor wrote in a signing statement that accompanied his signature.

The governor said he would not deny those comforts to others.

The statement was Brown's first comment on the bill, which makes California the fifth U.S. state to allow terminally ill patients to use doctor-prescribed drugs to end their lives. The measure applies only to mentally sound people and not those who are depressed or impaired.

State lawmakers passed the bill last month. A previous version failed earlier this year despite the highly publicized case of Brittany Maynard, a 29-year-old California woman with brain cancer who moved to Oregon where she could legally opt to end her life.

The measure was brought back as part of a special session intended to address funding shortfalls for the state's health insurance program for the poor. The law cannot take effect until the session formally ends, which probably will not happen until at least mid-2016.

Maynard's family attended the legislative debate in California throughout the year. Her mother, Debbie Ziegler, testified in committee hearings and carried a large picture of her daughter.

In a video recorded days before Maynard took life-ending drugs, she told California lawmakers that the terminally ill should not have to "leave their home and community for peace of mind, to escape suffering and to plan for a gentle death."

Religious groups, including the Catholic Church, and advocates for people with disabilities opposed the measure, saying it legalizes premature suicide and puts terminally ill patients at risk for coerced death.

Opponents said they were disappointed that the governor relied so heavily on his personal experience in his decision.

As someone of wealth with access to the world's best medical care, "the governor's background is very different than that of millions of Californians living in health care poverty without that same access," the group Californians Against Assisted Suicide said in a statement that warned of doctors prescribing lethal overdoses to patients who might not truly want them.

The bill includes requirements that patients be physically capable of taking the medication themselves, that two doctors approve it, that the patients submit several written requests and that there be two witnesses, one of whom is not a family member.

At least two dozen states introduced right-to-die legislation this year, though the measures stalled elsewhere. Doctors in Oregon, Washington state, Vermont and Montana already can prescribe life-ending drugs.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-06

Thailand has a right-to-commit-suicide unwritten law...some of the most bizarre deaths are ruled a suicide and whatever investigation may be done...is likely never reported...

If someone is determined to take their own life...legislation or not...they will find a way...

What are you going to do after they die...arrest them for breaking the law?

Edited by ggt

Good for Governor Brown. I'm from Oregon, and we've had that law for quite some time. After Cali mother got famous for assisted suicide help in Oregon, Californians came up for that privilege, which gummed up bureaucracy with all the requests. Dear friend of mine, an Oregonian, did not get the permission, died in April due to overwhelming number of requests. At least the ones who did come from California and other places did heed former Gov McCall's request "Come visit, but don't stay".

Thailand has a right-to-commit-suicide unwritten law...some of the most bizarre deaths are ruled a suicide and whatever investigation may be done...is likely never reported...

If someone is determined to take their own life...legislation or not...they will find a way...

It's more to do with assisted suicide, so that those who assists (e.g., doctors) are not held criminally liable. This is reasonable and should be legal nationwide. People should be allowed to die with dignity if they so choose, without government interference.

I wonder if a person on death row with an execution date set would meet the criteria?

Could save a little money.

could save money, yes.

but doesn't exactly fit the "terminally ill" criteria.

conviction isn't an illness so far.. hopefully

LONG overdue and the rest of the country should follow. Should have never been an issue, nor against the law to begin with. Jack Kervorkian aka "Dr Death" was a hero who helped so many people die with dignity while escaping elongated and painful demises. Yet the USA incarcerated him for 8 years. Just plain wrong and ridiculous...post-4641-1156693976.gif

It's more to do with assisted suicide, so that those who assists (e.g., doctors) are not held criminally liable. This is reasonable and should be legal nationwide. People should be allowed to die with dignity if they so choose, without government interference.

It's a good first step. Now they need to allow non terminal people to make the choice to have a peaceful death if they no longer wish to live. Why should I have to risk surviving as a brain damaged person dependent on others after a failed suicide attempt? The thought of being stuck in a rest home for years is enough to make me seriously consider suicide to prevent such.

As it is, I can only eat unhealthy food and hope to die before I am decrepit enough to be sent to live in a rest home- a living death.

It's a good first step. Now they need to allow non terminal people to make the choice to have a peaceful death if they no longer wish to live. Why should I have to risk surviving as a brain damaged person dependent on others after a failed suicide attempt? The thought of being stuck in a rest home for years is enough to make me seriously consider suicide to prevent such.

As it is, I can only eat unhealthy food and hope to die before I am decrepit enough to be sent to live in a rest home- a living death.

Actually, I would have no problem with that. The ultimate freedom to choose. But that kind of law would never fly. Too many do-gooders would come up with all kinds of examples and scenarios that would freak everyone out. Even with terminal patients, getting this law passed was like pulling teeth. It would be nice if I could decide on my own terms when it was time to pull the plug...and then do so with family and friends around, with everything sorted. Unlike the dudes in the Pattaya Flying Club.