Options for Exposed Tile Edges

AyG

I'll soon be tiling my kitchen part way up the wall. What options do I have for giving a decent finish to the exposed top edge of the tiles? As far as I have been able to find out, none of the following is available here in Thailand (though I'd love to be proven wrong):

- moulding

- bull nose tile

- glazed edge tiles

- metal edge strips.

All of the above are available at most any serious Buriram builders merchants. Stainless Steel, aluminum, plastic edge strips for stairs and wall edges are available from several local companies. The tile company catalogs such as Cotto or RCI or Kera in Buriram all show bull nose tile and glazed edge tiles. They might not be on show, might not be in stock, but when I ordered tile for the houses I have built in Buriram it was never more than a 7 day wait for a sensible tile order to arrive. In 2007 I bought stainless steel exterior step edging at Neo House in Korat since I could not find the color I wanted in Buriram at Home Mart or Home Mega Mart. In 2015 this sort of product is even at the Buriram Global House so it must be widely available. Swimming pools often have Kera or RCI bull nose edge tile. Certainly a full line home improvement store will have staff who speak and understand English to help you with kitchen tile options.

post-20604-0-22856700-1444318049_thumb.j

post-20604-0-76667000-1444318179_thumb.j

To the O.P

If you are English I would say.......you didnt go to specsavers!

More embarrassing than that, I must admit. I did see the edge mouldings, but didn't know what they were. I assumed they were for some sort of shelving system. facepalm.gif

Thanks everyone for the help.

I personally hate those plastic trims, unless fitted perfectly they leave a small 'lip' which is vulnerable when cleaning and I've seen many cracked or broken as a result.

I suggest the most simple of solutions which is to apply a 45 degree of grout along the top edge. Its a fairly tricky task as the mix has to be just right but I've always had good results and the finished job looks much better. Also, for external corners, I simply sanded a 45 degree angle on the tile edges to form a nice mitred joint..care must be taken not to leave a sharp edge however.

Archived