Whats With The Baht & Exchange Rate Today?

It's pretty simple

The likelihood of a Fed rate hike has diminished.

The UK and Europe aren't going to raise rates any time soon either.

Wouldn't count on the Bank of Thailand intervening to keep the baht weak either.

The dollar bull run is over if only temporarily

I don't think so. Fed intentions are now old news and don't explain such a rapid movement. I agree with swissie; more likely a (Thai) Central Bank intervention to maintain the baht within some benchmark range.

Why would the Bank of Thailand move to strengthen the baht when the dollar was already weakening as evidenced by exchange rates with other currencies?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes markets difficult to play and predict is the volatility - it is never a straight line up or down - otherwise it would be quite easy for speculators and investors - which of course, it is not… markets move based on varying factors, meaningful or not… profit taking, sentiment and other things that are not bound in fundamentals… try not to let it make you crazy

You gave this guy the right answer. About half a year ago I was talking to a German guy who claimed to be a big economist. He said: "It is going to be very expensive to live here for people from Europe, soon you will only get less than 30 Baht for 1 Euro. We are going to 20 Baht for 1 Euro." There were some other expats there also and they all believed him! Some really wanted to go home already, because it would be to expensive to live here. I was a little bit more sceptical. I told him excactly the same as what you said. Now we are over 40 Baht for 1 Euro. I would love to meet the guy again.

Yes, I am also surprised to see it. Don't know what's going on here

----------------------------------------------

Volkswagen and it's possible U.S. 12 billion dollar fine for faking emission data.

Growing belief by experts that the Fed will NOT raise U.S.. prime interest rate in 2015.

Bad negative job growth for U.S.jobs figure in September 2015.

German Bank announces it will have to "write off" a 7 Billon Euro loss of 2015.

Any other negative financial news you need?

All the financial lemmings in the U.S. and the Eurozone are screaming and running scared for cover.

Not a pair of b-lls on any one of them.

Not to mention Euro rate dropping against U.S. dollar and Aussie dollar down to new low against U.S. dollar also.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Volkswagen and it's possible U.S. 12 billion dollar fine for faking emission data.

Growing belief by experts that the Fed will NOT raise U.S.. prime interest rate in 2015.

All the financial lemmings in the U.S. and the Eurozone are screaming and running scared for cover.

Not to mention Euro rate dropping against U.S. dollar and Aussie dollar down to new low against U.S. dollar also.

All that bad news and the Euro is getting stronger today!?

Or want to talk about China and the last figures from Thailand?

I only want to say it is not that easy, or simple. If it was that easy everybody was getting rich.

Mostly strengthening against the USD. Other currencies less affected.

Most likely: Thailand Central Bank intervention. There is a bandwidth in which the Bht is allowed to float. Apparently, the "lower floor" of the Bht devaluation has been reached.

Not to worry. The Thai Central Bank has not the necessary "Ammunition" to stem the decline of the Bht longer term. So, if it is a "market intervention" that is actually undergoing, it will be short lived.

Cheers.

After you explain this to me explain why the American stock market has come roaring back running against real lousy employment numbers and declining profits for American companies. Is this comeback totally based on financial junkies waiting for another QE4 fix from the Fed? Seems like the only answer. Manipulation with all the algorithmic trading going on? Puzzling at best.

the employment numbers were disappointing against expectations, but lousy, no. As for declining profits, better wait for Q3 reporting for the latest update. Re the rally it is not clear yet whether this may be a relief rally, so all in all hold your horses, or 'er.........................................

whistling.gif If you have a U.S. bank account you can do an ACH transfer through Bangkok Bank in New York to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.

Because Bangkok Bank in New York is not registered as a commercial bank you can not actually open a deposit account with them.

However if you have an account with Bangkok Bank in Thailand you can arrange with your U.S. bank to do an ACH transfer to Bangkok Bank New York, and Bangkok Bank new York, will then transfer the funds to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand. Bangkok Bank in Thailand can help you set this upon a monthly basis.

There will still be some fees, but the fee is usually less for this method than a direct wire transfer from your U.S. bank.

You may have to get your U.S. bank to agree to this as they make money from your wire transfer fees, and they lose money by going the ACH route.

But as I always say FORK them, I worked for that money.

I only want to say it is not that easy, or simple. If it was that easy everybody was getting rich.

whistling.gif Nothing I can do but wait.

I still believe in time the dollar will rise against the Baht...... or more likely, the Baht will drop against the dollar.

In the meantime all we can do is wait and see what happens.

It won't really matter in the end, because in the END we will all be dead anyhow.

whistling.gif Nothing I can do but wait.

I still believe in time the dollar will rise against the Baht...... or more likely, the Baht will drop against the dollar.

In the meantime all we can do is wait and see what happens.

It won't really matter in the end, because in the END we will all be dead anyhow.

Maybe you are right about that the USD will rise against the Baht.

I think for the real long term, lets say 5 til 10 years you could be right. Only for the shorter term lets say 2 years I think the dollar is going down against the Baht. At this moment the USD is already at a very high point. One of the highest levels ever. Like said before the markets are vollatil, It never goes only up, or down. Look at some graphics and than you can see. And like you said before the figures from the USA are not very good.

I can not tell the future, but I would for sure not put any money on it!

You can always tell newbies to Thailand by their lack of exoerience with the exchange rate and their angst connected with it. The rest of us who really live in Thailand are more concerned with the price of spuds at Big C. Relax.

I already live here for 2,5 year and am very interested in the fnancial markets. I am actually making some money with it. And i for sure have no fear (angst) for the USD - Thai Baht rate, because I am not from the USA. I just try to explain why I think that the USD is not going up against the Thai Baht. I am completely relax :-) And don't want to worry about the spuds at Big C...

Most likely: Thailand Central Bank intervention. There is a bandwidth in which the Bht is allowed to float. Apparently, the "lower floor" of the Bht devaluation has been reached.

Not to worry. The Thai Central Bank has not the necessary "Ammunition" to stem the decline of the Bht longer term. So, if it is a "market intervention" that is actually undergoing, it will be short lived.

Cheers.

After you explain this to me explain why the American stock market has come roaring back running against real lousy employment numbers and declining profits for American companies. Is this comeback totally based on financial junkies waiting for another QE4 fix from the Fed? Seems like the only answer. Manipulation with all the algorithmic trading going on? Puzzling at best.

General consensus is, that the Fed will not increase interest rates this year. = Good for the Stock Market. An interest rate hike would kill the anemic economic recovery in the "mature economies" quickly.

The world economy is "leveraged" in form of outstanding astronomical debt never seen before. ( Governments, Industries, private households = same same).

Historically, government debt should yield 2 to 3 % over inflation. Implement this today and half of the outstanding debt worldwide could not be serviced anymore. (Over-Leverage).

Yes the financial world has turned into a "junkie". The name of the drug is not called Heroin or Cocaine. It's called "Free Money". How to "detox" this patient, I simply don't know.

- Thanks to algorithmic trading, the classical technical analysis (Chart Trading), has become obsolete by now.

Cheers.

Cheers.

General consensus is, that the Fed will not increase interest rates this year. = Good for the Stock Market. An interest rate hike would kill the anemic economic recovery in the "mature economies" quickly.

The world economy is "leveraged" in form of outstanding astronomical debt never seen before. ( Governments, Industries, private households = same same).

Historically, government debt should yield 2 to 3 % over inflation. Implement this today and half of the outstanding debt worldwide could not be serviced anymore. (Over-Leverage).

Yes the financial world has turned into a "junkie". The name of the drug is not called Heroin or Cocaine. It's called "Free Money". How to "detox" this patient, I simply don't know.

- Thanks to algorithmic trading, the classical technical analysis (Chart Trading), has become obsolete by now.

Cheers.

You're welcome ;-) For you it is maybe clear, but for some people not.

Cheers.

Cheers.

You're welcome ;-) For you it is maybe clear, but for some people not.

Sorry! I read your message to quick. Do you use algorithmic traiding?

I'm not a banker but I follow http://www.x-rates.com/graph/?from=GBP&to=THB&amount=1

If you look at the 12 hour or 24 hour graph, you can see that the rates change every hour. Not once a day or 12 times a day. In real-time, the rates are completely fluid and move 000s of times in a day. The 12 hour graph is only limited because it is a graph. If you had trading software and the latest algo stuff, you would see that the rates move all the time. Of course, the graph flat-lines at weekends, I suppose, for obvious reasons (?).

Eddy

I'm not a banker but I follow http://www.x-rates.com/graph/?from=GBP&to=THB&amount=1

If you look at the 12 hour or 24 hour graph, you can see that the rates change every hour. Not once a day or 12 times a day. In real-time, the rates are completely fluid and move 000s of times in a day. The 12 hour graph is only limited because it is a graph. If you had trading software and the latest algo stuff, you would see that the rates move all the time. Of course, the graph flat-lines at weekends, I suppose, for obvious reasons (?).

Eddy

Following FX sites like above are fine...shows you which way the rate is moving throughout the trading day...from minutes to minute...hour to hour....etc....gives you a good idea in what you can expect to get "at places where you actually exchange money" minus a profit spread at those places.

The places where you exchange your money such as at Thai banks, at ATMs providing the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate (minus any foreign transaction fee), etc., is what counts in terms of how many baht you get for your home country currency. A person is not exchanging their money at FX websites. And places like Thai banks are not changing their rates every minute; instead, only X-times per day.....Visa/Mastercard are not changing their rates every minutes; generally only once a day.

Maybe the Bank of Thailand in its infinite wisdom decided to prop up the baht by market operation. If so, it will be a short-lived program. With the Thai Steel company loan default and all the empty, unfinished and unsold condo projects with no buyers in sight, the baht is headed for a rough ride. The only bright side is that it will help Thailand's export business. My 2c worth.

credit in thailand is just hilarious , my friend house near air port

700000 baht credit 20 years

give back to bank 1MILLION 3

almost double price house lol

Eddy

It potentially changes every single time there's a transaction involving two given currencies, doesn't it? Bidders & sellers; auction-driven (although I understand there are different "access levels" involved)?

Cheers.

The US stock market has not come "roaring back". It has bounced twice off a recent support level, and for the moment is trying to recover the recent losses.

That said, the simple question is: Where else are you going to put your money? The same question driving it for the past 5 years.

TIT ..... So Me thinks sombuddy is playin games...... Nothing of great significance has overtly transpired on either sided of the pond to result in a 40 + satang increase in baht vs dollar , today.... My vote is somebody playing around. ,,,,,and don't say can't be..... This is Thailand

TIT ..... So Me thinks sombuddy is playin games...... Nothing of great significance has overtly transpired on either sided of the pond to result in a 40 + satang increase in baht vs dollar , today.... My vote is somebody playing around. ,,,,,and don't say can't be..... This is Thailand

Yesterday quote from XE.com daily currency analysis -

The dollar kept on the defensive with the Federal Reserve in focus today. The dollar lost ground to the euro and slipped to multiweek lows against a currency basket. America’s unit is off to a weak start to the year’s final quarter as tepid readings on the U.S. economy have jeopardized a rate hike in coming months. Minutes from the Fed’s last gathering in mid-September are due out at 2 p.m. ET. Throughout the day, three Fed presidents will take to the mic, remarks that will be scrutinized for dollar-impacting rate hike signals. Dollar bulls have started to grow impatient waiting on the Fed, leaving the dollar at risk of racking up further losses over the coming days and weeks.

Depending on how the traders react and the later speeches it may go back up.......or down more.......

One of the best jobless claims readings since the early 1970s helped the dollar edge above two-week lows against a currency basket. Weekly jobless claims improved by 13,000, falling to 263,000, one of the healthiest prints in more than four decades. The data backed views that cooler job growth of late may prove more of a blip than a sign of something more serious, which is dollar-friendly as it doesn’t quash rate hike hopes in the months ahead. The buck’s reaction so far has been muted with Fed speakers and minutes from the last meeting due later in the day.

The dollar kept on the defensive with the Federal Reserve in focus today. The dollar lost ground to the euro and slipped to multiweek lows against a currency basket. America’s unit is off to a weak start to the year’s final quarter as tepid readings on the U.S. economy have jeopardized a rate hike in coming months. Minutes from the Fed’s last gathering in mid-September are due out at 2 p.m. ET. Throughout the day, three Fed presidents will take to the mic, remarks that will be scrutinized for dollar-impacting rate hike signals. Dollar bulls have started to grow impatient waiting on the Fed, leaving the dollar at risk of racking up further losses over the coming days and weeks.

Depending on how the traders react and the later speeches it may go back up.......or down more.......

One of the best jobless claims readings since the early 1970s helped the dollar edge above two-week lows against a currency basket. Weekly jobless claims improved by 13,000, falling to 263,000, one of the healthiest prints in more than four decades. The data backed views that cooler job growth of late may prove more of a blip than a sign of something more serious, which is dollar-friendly as it doesn’t quash rate hike hopes in the months ahead. The buck’s reaction so far has been muted with Fed speakers and minutes from the last meeting due later in the day.

You may want to look at this in a different way. maybe 13,000 peoples jobless benefits just ran out. How can you call it the healthiest in 4 decades with over a 1/3 of the population out of the work force unable to find a job? Then there are the underemployed who cannot move up? You seem to want to only see the so called positive impact in what the spin doctors are offering up. Yes I know you think the government would NEVER spin their figures. Your living in a spoon fed world you know roses are red violets are blue. We are your government giving the finger to you.

You may want to look at this in a different way. maybe 13,000 peoples jobless benefits just ran out. How can you call it the healthiest in 4 decades with over a 1/3 of the population out of the work force unable to find a job? Then there are the underemployed who cannot move up? You seem to want to only see the so called positive impact in what the spin doctors are offering up. Yes I know you think the government would NEVER spin their figures. Your living in a spoon fed world you know roses are red violets are blue. We are your government giving the finger to you.

Sorry to disappoint you but I have not expressed an opinion (other than reflecting that it may go up or down) and was simply quoting some observations from a FX specialist on some background to FX moves for readers benefit.

Since you made it personal take your f***ing finger along with your paranoid conspiracy theories and shove it up your own backside crazy.gifangry.gif

Cheers.

Unemployment rate lowest since 2005. Lowest in California in 15 years and still declining. California is the always the future. Hi-tech companies have to have a presence there. Silicon Valley is expanding to Silicon Beach from Santa Monica to Hermosa beach. Then there are many Biotech start ups in San Diego.

Companies have lots of cash. Cheap oil and gas!

No need for QE besides the Fed needs to raise rates to have ammo for next recession.

Stock market still around 17,000, down from 18,000. Didn't exactly roar back to 18,000.

The world economy is limiting the States. But the States has the good consumer demand that the Chinese hope to have. The declaration of the death of America was premature. Or as Monty Python said: I'm not dead yet! My friends who sold everything, got rid of dollars and bought gold at 1600/oz and moved to Thailand were not realistic.

If you lived in America you would see lots of Chinese bringing their families and assets into the States because they don't trust the Chinese gov't or economy. America still has the most trusted economy. Crazy politics aside.

I would guess when the fed does start raising rates it will be very slowly and will cause money to flow to America from emerging markets.

All the above IMHO