Bangkok Immigration Announces New Dress Code

I have seen Russian girls in Chonburi Immigration in their bikini!

They were wearing less clothes than a go-go girl at work and surprised that Immigration Officer didn't even want to talk to her - other Russians had to explain to her to go home and wear decent clothes first.

the female immigration officers didn't want to speak with them.....I guess some of the male would have pardon this little mistake smile.png

I would have, even it is disgusting to have to look at the beautiful shaped body of a young woman. gigglem.gifgiggle.gif

Not everyone keeps their brain in their penis.

• Like 1

I was at Chaeng Wattana Friday afternoon, I noticed a number of male foreigners wearing shorts and tee shirts and sandals (not the cheap flip flops) and I also noticed a number of Asian women wearing short shorts. Appears that the dress code is not being strictly enforced. I wore a casual shirt, long trousers and shoes thinking the dress code was being enforced, in the past I wore the same with the exception of wearing sandals.

I was at Chaeng Wattana Friday afternoon, I noticed a number of male foreigners wearing shorts and tee shirts and sandals (not the cheap flip flops) and I also noticed a number of Asian women wearing short shorts. Appears that the dress code is not being strictly enforced. I wore a casual shirt, long trousers and shoes thinking the dress code was being enforced, in the past I wore the same with the exception of wearing sandals.

I cannot speak for the current situation but back in February Puket Immigration were enforcing the dress code.

We could turn this into a win win situation.

Farang shows respect by wearing long pants and shirt, and possibly a tie.

Immigration shows respect by providing proper service, and possibly not extorting money.

More like dress like a penguin AND get extorted.

I'm sorry I am not wearing closed shoes by 45 degrees.

It's unsustainable, since it assumes you are in 100% aircon environment.

It may be 45C in the western desert but highest temperature ever recorded in Thailand was 44.5C. Average temp here around 30C.

Too much midnight oil mate?

It should be noted that all officially recorded temperatures are recorded in the shade. 45 C in the direct sunlight is quite normal in Thailand. Besides, for example, 32C (quite typical summer shade temp in Thailand) at 80% humidity has a heat index of 44C, about the equivalent of your desert temperature.

post-34982-0-50895700-1444406970_thumb.p

Of all the things we here can find to moan about, this has got to be the lowest on the list. It's just a trip to the immigration office FPS, and they've got something you need. And yeah, it's a warm climate, but you can't keep at least ONE set of casual business clothes in the back of your closet or bottom of your drawer for occasions like this? Visiting: you're travelling SO light you can't include one pair of jeans and one shirt with a collar? (And you don't to begin with??) You don't keep a pair of walking or running shoes? Geez - wear 'em on the plane so you don't even have to pack them! It's that big an inconvenience? It's THAT big a deal? Really?

Foreigner exploitation and scams. Dual-pricing. Corrupt police & police shakedowns. Inconsistent and capricious immigration policies. A justice system rigged against foreigners. Etc. Yeah - those are genuine national embarrassments. But this shirt & pants thing I think I can live with.

• Like 2

As I get older and crankier I cannot, for the life of me, see any purpose in a customer required dress code instituted by a bunch of minor bureaucrats, except to prove that they have the power and the ability to hassle the Falangs. I am also amazed at how many in this forum are so willing to justify, rationalize and generalize about how this is right and correct and fair and why we should be thoroughly happy and willing to jump when those bureaucrats, who often seem to enjoy making up rules and costs on the spot, tell us to hop.

So whats your solution? Should we take strike action or a have a massive demonstration outside every immigration office ?

Well, I think a decent shirt and a pair of shorts should be allowed. It is the freaking tropics!

Funny thing is how so often on the news some falang has a domestic fight or his house is robbed and he calls the police, the old falang is usually not wearing a shirt. I swear it is as if they call the police then try to make themselves unpresentable.

• Like 1

As I get older and crankier I cannot, for the life of me, see any purpose in a customer required dress code instituted by a bunch of minor bureaucrats, except to prove that they have the power and the ability to hassle the Falangs. I am also amazed at how many in this forum are so willing to justify, rationalize and generalize about how this is right and correct and fair and why we should be thoroughly happy and willing to jump when those bureaucrats, who often seem to enjoy making up rules and costs on the spot, tell us to hop.

So whats your solution? Should we take strike action or a have a massive demonstration outside every immigration office ?

Anyone who sees themselves as a "customer" is never going to get it. A "customer" buys tamales & beers, cars & condos, movie tickets & fresh produce. At immigration you're requesting a government service, and the usual & expected nattering aside, they're not there to make a profit and don't really care about getting your "business" or "competing" in any commercial sense. You're in fact a supplicant. and NOT a "customer". You must meet requirements, and if you do, and only if you do, will they then provide that which you're requesting. If you insist on referring to it as a "business", then you'd at least have to call it official business. Get out of the western "entitlement" mindset, and the whole thing makes much more sense.

It's such a little thing. So many other battles so much more worth fighting.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 2

Now we need one prohibiting unbathed, obese men in dirty smelly clothes with their fat bellies hanging out below their dirty worn out t-shirt, smelling like stale beer.

I am disgusted by some of the bums I see in the immigration office, and embarrassed if the appear to be from my home country.

ride that high horse hard

A dress code should not be required. Adults should know how to dress appropriately.

Rationalize it however you want. Go ahead and go to Immigration dressed like a bum; do not whine when you are treated as one.

Like it or not, appearances matter.

When I go to Immigration, or any other government office, I dress the same way as I do for work...jeans and long-sleeved dress shirt (have to hide those scary tattoos).

The goal of a visit to a governmental office is not to express your individuality (Look! I am unique! A slob like everyone else!)....the goal is to complete one's business there successfully, and hopefully in a pleasant and timely manner. Whatever I can do to stack the deck in my favor, I am going to do.

By the same token, I do not wear shorts and t-shirt when I fly also.

True, adults should dress appropriately!

But looking from the other side, professional government clerks must treat everyone the same no matter what clothes.

Even someone who complete disrespect them should be treated the same under the law which doesn't differ between well and bad dressed people.

All "must" be treated equally.

That is a fine sentiment, but in the real world (to paraphrase), "All people are created equal; some are more equal than others".

To the fellow Australian, I might not wear beach attire to offices in Oz but I wear bloody shorts.

Only time since being in Thailand have I worn jeans ie trousers, was on a flight to Singapore to keep my carry on under 7 kgs.

I will buy a pair of elephant pants ( those are those loose fitting baggy pants with elephants all over them) for the occasion, it will take me back to my hippie days

Agreed. In Oz i often visited govt offices. In winter i wore jeans. In summer it was shorts and sandals and tshirt. Never a problem.

Later I worked for a govt agency. Every Friday was casual day and we wore shorts and tshirts, basically like we came off the beach. The only people that dressed in shirt and tie etc were office workers in the city. Never did we have any issue with how anyone dressed.

No one was there to enter a fashion parade so it was no issue.

• Like 1

Immigration is there to ensure you have all docs and meet their reqirements.

That is it, nothing more. They should stop trying to decide fashion reqirements.

People who dress in suits can smell just as badly as others that dont. No crime in how someone smells anyway.

Just do your job.

• Like 2

Now we need one prohibiting unbathed, obese men in dirty smelly clothes with their fat bellies hanging out below their dirty worn out t-shirt, smelling like stale beer.

I am disgusted by some of the bums I see in the immigration office, and embarrassed if the appear to be from my home country.

Your country has been shamed thousands of times by thousands of bums long before that bum from your home country who embarrassed you turned up at your local immigration office. If the immigration officers don't consider them a problem, why should you? If they do consider them a problem, they'll take care of it.

I think your problem is one of being oversensitive about non-issues. Just get on with your life and don't worry about how others are dressed.

• Like 2

The signs are up in the Transport Office in CM in Thai. Most everyone is in very casual jeans and t-shirt type wear.

Is it to much to ask that one cover hairy legs a few times a year?

For those who believe they must be allowed to be dressed for the beach at all times because they meet requirements to stay and "spend plenty of money", perhaps they can hire an agent to visit immigration for them?

This should be a non-issue. Everyone should know how to dress appropriately.

If it wasn't for some bums, these signs would never have been placed.

I think it is more than a few bums who made these signs necessary - at least that is what I see at the Chonburi office.

Surprisingly, the (openly) gay officer at the Chonburi office asked my wife to go home to get changed way back in 2007. She was wearing mid-thigh shorts and a full length t-shirt and looked quite respectful. She explained to him that she sees Russians and other girls dressed in very skimpy tops and very short shorts in there all the time... but he wasn't having any of it... so off home to get a change of clothes for her we went.biggrin.png ... and extra mindful of our dress we have been ever since that day, about 8 years ago.

I eagerly await the first reports about people wearing shorts and sandals being turned away at Jomtien.

Tourists coming on holidays, rarely pack closed shoes when coming to Thailand, they should warn them in TAT brochures that they will be refused extension.

I personally have 25 pairs or so of shoes and not one is closed, even my evening heels are open

Cant believe I am going to have to buy a pair of closed shoes just to go to immigration.facepalm.gif

Could be the skin tight uniforms they are forced to wear make them irritable.

My favorite IO Sergeant once made a Cambodian peasant get down and do 10 push ups for, I presume, some minor transgression. Right there in the office, in front of her desk, as all of us sheep in the hard plastic chairs, looked on.

A dress code should not be required. Adults should know how to dress appropriately.

Rationalize it however you want. Go ahead and go to Immigration dressed like a bum; do not whine when you are treated as one.

Like it or not, appearances matter.

When I go to Immigration, or any other government office, I dress the same way as I do for work...jeans and long-sleeved dress shirt (have to hide those scary tattoos).

The goal of a visit to a governmental office is not to express your individuality (Look! I am unique! A slob like everyone else!)....the goal is to complete one's business there successfully, and hopefully in a pleasant and timely manner. Whatever I can do to stack the deck in my favor, I am going to do.

By the same token, I do not wear shorts and t-shirt when I fly also.

True, adults should dress appropriately!

But looking from the other side, professional government clerks must treat everyone the same no matter what clothes.

Even someone who complete disrespect them should be treated the same under the law which doesn't differ between well and bad dressed people.

All "must" be treated equally.

That is a fine sentiment, but in the real world (to paraphrase), "All people are created equal; some are more equal than others".

yes therefor I dress nice......

But at least they should try to treat equally.....

I have seen Russian girls in Chonburi Immigration in their bikini!

They were wearing less clothes than a go-go girl at work and surprised that Immigration Officer didn't even want to talk to her - other Russians had to explain to her to go home and wear decent clothes first.

the female immigration officers didn't want to speak with them.....I guess some of the male would have pardon this little mistake smile.png

I would have, even it is disgusting to have to look at the beautiful shaped body of a young woman. gigglem.gifgiggle.gif

Not everyone keeps their brain in their penis.

It is more that old frustrated women are often jealous the better looking one.....Or what else is the reason to get overly angry if the Russian women dress too less?

Edited by h90

Also no short sleeves is just plain silly, even immigration officers wear short sleeves.

Shall we humor them and ask them to go and get changed ? biggrin.png

THAILAND_1__926109f.jpg

Sorry, 'missed that. Where did anyone/anything say no short-sleeved shirts?? I DID see one member saying he chose not to wear a short-sleeved shirt in order to conceal his tats.