Bangkok Immigration Announces New Dress Code

It's not proximity to a beach bar. That's narrow minded and stodgy. Time of day and venue also informs dress etiquette.

Shorts don't have to conjure the image of an unshaven farang in dirty shorts and stained t-shirt holding a Chang beer bottle.

I live far from a beach, expats gather for lunch or an early dinner wearing a nice pair of shorts, and a nice button Tommy Bahama shirt, for example. Thais don't turn up their noses, it's quite acceptable.

However, we share an unspoken etiquette that, when the sun goes down, and we go to a more upscale venue, the women dress up a bit more, and the men wear trousers.

On topic, I've worn my "smart relaxed" daily attire to Immigration on occasion as well, and didn't get the stink eye. Some of us can pull it off and still command respect, others can't.

Edit: Add photo.attachicon.gif2cc8695fe92f052ca6b4669538c9438e.jpg

You suffer from the sins of those who cannot pull it off. 'Just the world we live in. And imagine the fun in trying to translate which shorts are acceptable and which ones not without writing an essay. Give 'em a break. They're trying to establish a simple, minimum standard that cleans up things a little without being unreasonable, so 'no shorts' probably seems the reasonable approach to take. Of course, some of us consider ourselves entitled to near absolute freedom to express ourselves anywhere and anytime through our dress. I expect most Thais have a hard time with that concept.

I wonder if anyone's actually getting turned away from Chaeng Wattana over this. Anyone seen that? I'm more inclined to believe the whole thing is being all but completely ignored.

• Like 1

What ever happened to the saying 'Don't judge a book by its cover?

As above, "Thais are by culture, very judgmental and image conscious".

Despite all the enlightened hocus pocus from their national religion, that addage doesn't apply here.

That's a Thai thing? People don't judge poorly dressed people in your home country? I don't think there's a country on earth where people don't "judge a book by its cover".

Believe it or not in some countries access to necessary services can not be denied based on appearance. In fact it would most likely be illegal to do so.

• Like 2

What ever happened to the saying 'Don't judge a book by its cover?

As above, "Thais are by culture, very judgmental and image conscious".

Despite all the enlightened hocus pocus from their national religion, that addage doesn't apply here.

That's a Thai thing? People don't judge poorly dressed people in your home country? I don't think there's a country on earth where people don't "judge a book by its cover".

Believe it or not in some countries access to necessary services can not be denied based on appearance. In fact it would most likely be illegal to do so.

Why would anyone have trouble believing it? I expect it's undoubtedly true for whatever that's worth, but can't imagine why it's even remotely relevant. Who cares? Is Thailand bound by some unwritten rule to do what some other country does, particularly in such a trivial and purely internal matter as this? Somehow, I doubt this is ever going to be debated in the UN General Assembly or adjudicated at the World Court...

I've seen shirtless guys in bar beers in Bangkok! I wonder if they do that in the capital city of their home country. Too cool for shirts! A little respect is, well, respectful.

Pattaya immigration should be shorts and sandals and T-shirt. And apparently still is.

It's not proximity to a beach bar. That's narrow minded and stodgy. Time of day and venue also informs dress etiquette.

Shorts don't have to conjure the image of an unshaven farang in dirty shorts and stained t-shirt holding a Chang beer bottle.

I live far from a beach, expats gather for lunch or an early dinner wearing a nice pair of shorts, and a nice button Tommy Bahama shirt, for example. Thais don't turn up their noses, it's quite acceptable.

However, we share an unspoken etiquette that, when the sun goes down, and we go to a more upscale venue, the women dress up a bit more, and the men wear trousers.

On topic, I've worn my "smart relaxed" daily attire to Immigration on occasion as well, and didn't get the stink eye. Some of us can pull it off and still command respect, others can't.

Edit: Add photo.attachicon.gif2cc8695fe92f052ca6b4669538c9438e.jpg

You suffer from the sins of those who cannot pull it off. 'Just the world we live in. And imagine the fun in trying to translate which shorts are acceptable and which ones not without writing an essay. Give 'em a break. They're trying to establish a simple, minimum standard that cleans up things a little without being unreasonable, so 'no shorts' probably seems the reasonable approach to take. Of course, some of us consider ourselves entitled to near absolute freedom to express ourselves anywhere and anytime through our dress. I expect most Thais have a hard time with that concept.

I wonder if anyone's actually getting turned away from Chaeng Wattana over this. Anyone seen that? I'm more inclined to believe the whole thing is being all but completely ignored.

You aren't wrong, and as I said a page or two back, I don't disagree with this policy, but I do think it's petty.

Edited by 55Jay

Not that I'm against this. We as a lot can definitely clean up our appearance at certain places in the LOS. But I'll never understand why Thais look down on this when many of their women wear things to office jobs most western women wouldn't wear to a nightclub. And some of their grandmothers dress like teenagers.

@ Hawker

The point is the poster was saying people get judged on their appearance in other countries. My counter point was that while this is true they also offer protections because of such things. No, undoubtedly Thailand isn't obligated to enforce what is pretty much considered human rights in other countries. They have been doing just fine without them for many years already.

• Like 1

What difference does wearing sandals make when you have to remove your footwear before entering?

Been to many immigration offices and never had to remove footwear. To which office are you saying you have to remove footwear to enter?

Phitsanulok

When Thai immigration do home visits they turn up in civilian clothing. A little hypocritical when they are on official government business don't you think?

Please explain how that is hypocritical. Thanks.

I would have thought turning up in civvies for home visits less " stressful" for the home owner than turning up in all their police kit ?

• Like 1

When on official government business they should dress in their uniforms, as per their office, they're at work representing their King. What does it matter if the wearing of the uniform is stressful to the farang? When have Thai Immigration ever put farangs feelings into consideration? This is a 'don't do as I do country. You are farang. Do as you're told. I left school nearly 50 years ago.chitown.gif

• Like 1

@ Hawker

The point is the poster was saying people get judged on their appearance in other countries. My counter point was that while this is true they also offer protections because of such things. No, undoubtedly Thailand isn't obligated to enforce what is pretty much considered human rights in other countries. They have been doing just fine without them for many years already.

Oh, horsefeathers. A dress standard that happens to specify long pants vs shorts - "human rights"?? What a crock. Totally absurd. It only serves to trivialize ACTUAL human rights issues. Get a grip. They're not SHOOTING or INCARCERATING or TORTURING or STARVING or BEATING anyone wearing shorts - just saying they want them to wear PANTS in order to receive a service FPS (a service withOUT which you just simply might have to go HOME!!! Ooooooh, the unjustice!! LOL). And I'm not even sure they're enforcing it. If it constitutes an inconvenience for you, then whine about it on that basis. But a "human rights" issue it's just simply not. I don't see how pushing a point so far past the absurd gets you any credibility here.

Thailand HAS its human rights issues to deal with. Why don't you do a survey and show us how many people think THIS IS ONE of them!

It'd be funny, but there are far too many people in the world suffering at the hands of TRUE human rights violators.

• Like 2

When on official government business they should dress in their uniforms, as per their office, they're at work representing their King. What does it matter if the wearing of the uniform is stressful to the farang? When have Thai Immigration ever put farangs feelings into consideration? This is a 'don't do as I do country. You are farang. Do as you're told. I left school nearly 50 years ago.chitown.gif

You left school 50 years ago but it appears by your remarks you have never grown up either....was that high school or primary school by the way ?

Seems to me a lot of people on here still need their mummys to tell how to dress properly dependent on the situation

Edited by Soutpeel

You left school 50 years ago but it appears by your remarks you have never grown up either....was that high school or primary school by the way ?

smiley-laughing.gifsmiley-laughing.gifsmiley-laughing.gif

When Thai immigration do home visits they turn up in civilian clothing. A little hypocritical when they are on official government business don't you think?

I think it might be hypocritical if they showed up in vests, see-through tops, short tops, tight pants, short pants, mini skirts and/or sandals, which are the forbidden items on the sign in CW Immigrations. But, is that really how they are dressed for the home visits?

I think it might be hypocritical if they showed up in vests, see-through tops, short tops, tight pants, short pants, mini skirts and/or sandals, which are the forbidden items on the sign in CW Immigrations. But, is that really how they are dressed for the home visits?

In 10 years I've never been to an IO and witnessed people wearing "vests, see-through tops, short tops, tight pants, mini skirts and/or sandals". Regarding the dress for my house visit, yes they turned up in civvies.

In 10 years I've never been to an IO and witnessed people wearing "vests, see-through tops, short tops, tight pants, mini skirts and/or sandals". Regarding the dress for my house visit, yes they turned up in civvies.

I've seen guys with raggedy beards wearing wife beaters and 100thb flipflops in Chang wattana... Not surprising that immigration staff don't appreciate it and I doubt it helps their applications but some people just don't "get" it...

• Like 2

I've seen guys with raggedy beards wearing wife beaters and 100thb flipflops in Chang wattana... Not surprising that immigration staff don't appreciate it and I doubt it helps their applications but some people just don't "get" it...

They don't. Is that a new requirement in the Immigration Law?

Have you read the title of the thread yet ? smile.png

Yes.

Have you read where this is now an official reason to reject someone for an extension they might otherwise be fully qualified for? Not just that, but denying them access to a public, government office to even seek the service in the first place.

• Like 1

Although they haven't visited me at home yet, I too would prefer them to visit in civilian clothes. Officially dressed immigration officers doing a routine home visit would not be a good look for the neighbourhood as it would draw a lot of unwelcome attention. This could be the one situation to prove to you they do care. Obviously it's something they put some thought into.

• Like 1

Have you read the title of the thread yet ? smile.png

Yes.

Have you read where this is now an official reason to reject someone for an extension they might otherwise be fully qualified for? Not just that, but denying them access to a public, government office to even seek the service in the first place.

See, some people misinterpret "fully qualified for" to mean the same thing as "legally entitled (by right) to". The locals - in any country - probably don't take that kindly to foreigners in their faces disrespectfully demanding things from them. They're just asking for a little courtesy from their foreign guests, in this case as expressed in reasonable dress. I don't doubt for a minute they could find ways to make the process far more painful if they really wanted to, as other uniformed officials in the country seem to be able to find ways to do from time to time...

Although they haven't visited me at home yet, I too would prefer them to visit in civilian clothes. Officially dressed immigration officers doing a routine home visit would not be a good look for the neighbourhood as it would draw a lot of unwelcome attention. This could be the one situation to prove to you they do care. Obviously it's something they put some thought into.

Officially dressed immigration officers doing a routine home visit

This wasn't a routine visit. I'm on 'Retirement extension'. Please enlighten me where it says in the rules it's 'routine'?

would not be a good look for the neighbourhood

Are you watching too many American movies? I live in a village where, due to the two witnesses in attendance, people will know who my visitors are in advance, uniform or not. And why should uniformed IO's draw 'unwelcome attention'?cheesy.gif Are they low life?

Obviously it's something they put some thought into.

Thai immigration putting thought into a farangs feelings? You're deluded..cheesy.gif

Edited by sinbin
  • Like 1