In Pictures: Remembering John Lennon on his 75th birthday

webfact

In Pictures: Remembering John Lennon on his 75th birthday

LIVERPOOL: -- John Lennon would have been celebrating his 75th birthday on 9 October. The former Beatle was shot dead outside his New York apartment in 1980, aged just 40.

We look back at aspects of his life in pictures.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-34446020

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-10-09

Related: Human Peace Sign For John Lennon's 75th Birthday

Related: The Beatles - In My Life (Official Music Video)

Not bad for a drug-addled wife abuser!

And it begins. The inevitable sour-puss comments.

You can only wish you had 1/1,000 of the talent and success he had. His songs will be appreciated for centuries to come. What legacy will you leave behind?

So no one argued about the drug addled part, but I guess drugs do aid creativity.

As it goes Im quite a huge Beatles fan, having grown up with their music and also coming from that area of the world.

About the wife abuser, it has been said a few times that he did lash out at Miss Ono on more than one occasion but he was known to be cruel mentally to both his first and second wives and his first son has said in interviews how his father was mentally cruel.

M Herbal, your quite right about his creativity, would not argue against that but he wasn't much after the Beatles. That's just my opinion by the way. you may differ but except for a handful of songs, obviously Imagine, Give Peace a Chance ( ironic song title ) , instant Karma there wasn't much of interest really. But, hey, at least he was better than Wings.

I actually didnt mean it to sound too "sour puss" when I commented but looking again it does look like that. Apologies if I was sounding a bit too serious for a Friday Evening.

Oh, as for my legacy, I guess the barflies in the Beer Garden might miss me!smile.png

*"I'm sick and tired of reading things from uptight,short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites (like you)

All I want is the truth.

Just gimme some truth.."

*Edited for suitability.

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"

A musical genius and, for me, 35 years since the music died. The dream is over.

"IMAGINE" ...no religion...no possessions. 55555 now 'imagine' John without his large collection of classic autos; his mansion(s) in England, his house in the South of France; his pied-a-terre at the Dakota in NYC; his white grand piano; his homes in Barbados, Bermuda; his numerous groupies....freakin' hypocrite.

but, I can still remember him for his "Give Peace a Chance". ..no one is perfect; not even a junkie idealist-- can't imagine that

*"I'm sick and tired of reading things from uptight,short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites (like you)

All I want is the truth.

Just gimme some truth.."

*Edited for suitability.

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"

A musical genius and, for me, 35 years since the music died. The dream is over.

Uptight..short sighted...narrow minded....Im crying into my noodles here pal.

And I spoke the truth.

But relax, the dream aint over. Genius lives on..Nick Cave, Tom Waits and others.:D

I'd be interesting to see you back up the last part of your bizarre statement.

In defense of the poster, there is a new book out which was reviewed in the UK last week which was basically stating similar things..

"IMAGINE" ...no religion...no possessions. 55555 now 'imagine' John without his large collection of classic autos; his mansion(s) in England, his house in the South of France; his pied-a-terre at the Dakota in NYC; his white grand piano; his homes in Barbados, Bermuda; his numerous groupies....freakin' hypocrite.

but, I can still remember him for his "Give Peace a Chance". ..no one is perfect; not even a junkie idealist-- can't imagine that

He did say "imagine."

Gandhi took a vow of poverty, but he had some very rich friends who supported his work. Otherwise he would never have accomplished what he did.

Edited by HerbalEd

So much great music not written, nor heard, what a loss.

Always missed, never forgotten.

Thanks for the music JL

No thanks to the maroons who couldnt put 2 notes together proudly showing their petty insignificant selves in this commemorative thread.

(last sentence posted in the appropriate size for those mentioned)

Yes i grew up with the Beatles, thanks to my neighbour who

played the albums on full volume on weekends, funny how

no one ever complained.

Wings = vomit

I remember someone singled out Linda McCartney's vocals

on a song and she was completely off key, nah never liked

the other one.

So much great music not written, nor heard, what a loss.

Always missed, never forgotten.

Thanks for the music JL

No thanks to the maroons who couldnt put 2 notes together proudly showing their petty insignificant selves in this commemorative thread.

(last sentence posted in the appropriate size for those mentioned)

"Maybe it was little Stu Sutcliffe that was the missing piece in the Lennon puzzle. That night in Hamburg, Germany in 1961 when Lennon went berserk after a week long binge of alcohol and amphetamines and kicked the living shit out of his little pal Stu, kicking him in the head repeatedly with his famous, pointy-toed cowboy boots (were they Beatle boots?). Leaving Stu lying there on the sidewalk in a bleeding, unconscious heap.

“John was taken over by one of this uncontrollable rages,” wrote Pauline Sutcliffe, Stu’s sister, repeating what Stu had told her shortly after the attack. “He kicked at Stu again and again and kicked him in the head. There was blood streaming down from Stuart’s head when John finally came to his senses. John looked down at Stuart and fled, disgusted and terrified. Paul McCartney was with them when the fight began but could do nothing to stop the instant insane burst of violence. Paul helped Stuart, who was bleeding from face and ear, and took him to their room . . I’m convinced that kick was what eventually led to Stuart’s death. I know John always held himself responsible for Stuart dying. Yoko Ono told a friend, Marnie Hair, what I had said about his guilt at losing control with Stuart and punching and kicking him. John told Yoko that he was wearing his gold and silver cowboy boots with pointed toes.”

Shortly after the attack, Stu Sutcliffe started suffering from terrible, violent headaches, and died of a brain hemorrhage at age 21."

Yeah, thanks for the music,

Plenty more where that came from:

Ace Backwords: The painful truth about John Lennon