Vendors revolt as BMA moves to demolish 'Saphan Lek'

webfact

Vendors Revolt as BMA Moves to Demolish 'Saphan Lek'
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen

14443825641444382850l.jpg
A billboard ordering vendors out of Bangkok's famed Saphan Lek market as seen Monday.

BANGKOK — A maze-like warren of cheap electronics, toys and other goods is the latest target of a government campaign to reclaim public space, and once again the vendors who’ve long called it home are not leaving without a fight.

Thailand’s National Human Rights Commission said today it will review a city hall order giving vendors until Tuesday to clear out from the famed Saphan Lek market after several filed a complaint against the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, or BMA.

“I will invite every party, from the BMA, vendors and experts to join a discussion into whether the demolition process is legal,” Commissioner Niran Pitakwatchara said.

Situated on the west side of Bangkok’s Chinatown, Saphan Lek is unique among other street markets. It’s situated over a canal, next to the metal bridge which its name was given. It’s the kind of place one readily finds inexpensive imported toys, knock-offs and game systems modified to circumvent copy protection.

The BMA said the market affects water management because it sits over Khlong Ong Ang, which is registered as a historical site. They plan to demolish it.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1444382564

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-10-09

It’s the kind of place one readily finds inexpensive imported toys, knock-offs and game systems modified to circumvent copy protection.

So, everything kosher and above board. Jolly good, carry on. This site definitely deserves protection.

Oh dear , all those PDRC supporters down there who thought Suthep and Prayuth were a good bet must be feeling a bit betrayed by now like their friends at Klong Thom.

A real pity to see this area reduced to a boring nothing to see place. If the government ever tries the same at Sam Peng market then there will be trouble.

I am with the vendors, this city is being destroyed by apartment buildings, shopping malls and other stuff. And they haven't learned their lesson either, to this day, there are numerous ghost buildings, yet they keep building, until the market is completely saturated.

That markets, that are being frequented and liked by people for over 20 years have to make way, is of no concern of course.

Street vendors rail against demolition order
The Nation

30270599-01_big.JPG?1444432056109

BANGKOK: -- Street vendors in Saphan Lek have complained to the National Human Rights Commission over the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration move to shut them down.

NHCR Commissioner Niran Pitakwatchara will invite former Bangkok governor Jamlong Srimuang to seek his opinion on the matter as he had initially allowed the vendors to operate there.

Street vendors yesterday gathered outside the NHRC office in Bangkok and demanded Niran examine the demolition order aimed at them.

The order was sent from the Phra Nakhon District Office and the Samphanthawong District Office, with the vendors in Saphan Lek and Saphan Han told to leave the areas within 15 days of September 28.

The vendors claimed they had legally paid rental fees and the demolition order violated their rights including the right to make a living.

But the district offices said the order would be enforced, with the electric supply to the areas to be cut first.

Niran said the NHRC would summon representatives from the BMA and the street vendors.

The vendors also complained to the Ombudsman's office.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Street-vendors-rail-against-demolition-order-30270599.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-10

I am with the vendors, this city is being destroyed by apartment buildings, shopping malls and other stuff. And they haven't learned their lesson either, to this day, there are numerous ghost buildings, yet they keep building, until the market is completely saturated.

That markets, that are being frequented and liked by people for over 20 years have to make way, is of no concern of course.

The old Merry Kings department store across the road from Saphan Lek (now connected by a pedestrian bridge walkway) was converted into the Mega Plaza about 3 years ago. The last time I visited this plaza the majority of units were still unrented. In fact many of the businesses that did open had already closed down as the complex had never take off. Apparently many of the units were bought from the developer, so the owners of these units are seeing their units stand empty year after year.

Seems like there is very little demand for additional retail space in the area.

Add it up. Street vendors compete with big business. Big business doesn't like that. There were thriving street markets in the US until the turn of the last century, and they were shut down, or so over regulated that they had to shut down. Thailand's going to sign the TPP, which is directly contrary to the Sufficiency Economy model from the Great Man, but gives big business opportunities for bigger business..

Ultra royalists should be protesting this, but they won't. They have selective ultra national feelings......

and another one bites the dust

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Another one bites the dust

And another one gone, and another one gone

Hey, I'm gonna get you too

Edited by BKKdreaming

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Street vendors in Saphan Lek have complained to the National Human Rights Commission over the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration move to shut them down.

NHCR Commissioner Niran Pitakwatchara will invite former Bangkok governor Jamlong Srimuang to seek his opinion on the matter as he had initially allowed the vendors to operate there.

Street vendors yesterday gathered outside the NHRC office in Bangkok and demanded Niran examine the demolition order aimed at them.

The order was sent from the Phra Nakhon District Office and the Samphanthawong District Office, with the vendors in Saphan Lek and Saphan Han told to leave the areas within 15 days of September 28.

The vendors claimed they had legally paid rental fees and the demolition order violated their rights including the right to make a living.

But the district offices said the order would be enforced, with the electric supply to the areas to be cut first.

Niran said the NHRC would summon representatives from the BMA and the street vendors.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Street-vendors-rail-against-demolition-order-30270599.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-10-10

The vendors claimed they had legally paid rental fees

to whom....?????? cheesy.gif

I do like the street vendors and find places they've been removed such as lower Sathorn dull. Silom's still fairly good but far too many and not so friendly perhaps due to so much competition among them. My biggest disappointment was the doing away of the relative quality of Sanam Luang, no shitty Chinese toys/apparel there. However, I'd be quite happy to see the tack and sex toys on Sukhumvit be flushed down the toilet it belongs in.

Dammit, that is the best console gaming market in Bangkok. Do they want everyone to go to overpriced MBK? The only thing worth a damn there is Santa's Hamburgers.

Lower floor close to Tops supermarket (under the escalator)? I got some bad news for you....

The authorities are ruining the city. Just look at the grey joyless lower Suk.

Bangkok is thankfully turning into a modern city.

One where you'll find good restaurants, bars, clubs and other high end entertainment.

The sooner the low end is cleaned out the better.

I am sure the sellers can get government jobs handing out Happy Face stickers !

I am sure it is in the 1000s of lost jobs with all these "clean-ups" and no new jobs....

Sure some sellers have been sent to "relocation" camps.....ohh I empty lots where no customers go.....

Is this the Junta pushing this or the BKK local government ?

my take is it is to kick down the money the Police pocket as rent ,

Whatever it is the sellers are out of a job as the "powers" fight it out sad.png

I am sure it is in the 1000s of lost jobs with all these "clean-ups" and no new jobs....

Sure some sellers have been sent to "relocation" camps.....ohh I empty lots where no customers go.....

Whatever it is the sellers are out of a job as the "powers" fight it out sad.png

I think the owner is a bit more important than the local govt or the junta......

It's as if many posters here don't realize it is totally illegal(!) (and so impossible to get any official kind of license) in Thailand to occupy (of course also to build on and above) the banks and beds of 'waterways' (rivers, canals, etc.)! Sure there must be the odd million of such 'installations' in greater Bangkok only (shops, houses, shanties, eateries, bars, ...), but, still, no-one has any right to be there! And the ones claiming to be paying rent can only do to organised crime (mafias, politicos, ...police, etc.), so no excuse to be there. As to the ones thinking most of the people busy in those 'shops' are citizens of Bangkok, I'd say: go there with an educated Thai able to locate the dialects those women and men speak, and, maybe, they'll understand why so many true locals want them out...

Not even considering most, if not all, of the goods on sale there are illegal copies from criminal(!) organisations here and abroad...

And, last but not least, all of these people heavily contribute to the pollution, littering, ...and clogging, of those rivers and canals, but hear, see, it will, as always, be the BMA, and the Governor heading it, who will be criticized too for any next flooding!

I think the owner is a bit more important than the local govt or the junta......

And who might be the legitimate owner(s) according to you, who could thenrightfully(!) rent out such locations?

And who might be the legitimate owner(s) according to you, who could thenrightfully(!) rent out such locations?

Go do a little reading.

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-10-10

The vendors claimed they had legally paid rental fees

to whom....?????? cheesy.gif

To the Amphur officers normally who go round monthly with a vendors list book, they get a official receipt too ...

Thailand is going be more boring & overpriced once markets collapse as retail rental is ridiculous prices & that ends up reflected in retail item prices.

Edited by BuckBee

It's as if many posters here don't realize it is totally illegal(!) (and so impossible to get any official kind of license) in Thailand to occupy (of course also to build on and above) the banks and beds of 'waterways' (rivers, canals, etc.)! Sure there must be the odd million of such 'installations' in greater Bangkok only (shops, houses, shanties, eateries, bars, ...), but, still, no-one has any right to be there! And the ones claiming to be paying rent can only do to organised crime (mafias, politicos, ...police, etc.), so no excuse to be there. As to the ones thinking most of the people busy in those 'shops' are citizens of Bangkok, I'd say: go there with an educated Thai able to locate the dialects those women and men speak, and, maybe, they'll understand why so many true locals want them out...

Not even considering most, if not all, of the goods on sale there are illegal copies from criminal(!) organisations here and abroad...

And, last but not least, all of these people heavily contribute to the pollution, littering, ...and clogging, of those rivers and canals, but hear, see, it will, as always, be the BMA, and the Governor heading it, who will be criticized too for any next flooding!

There are so many things illegal that are being permitted, such as prostitution for instance. The message here is that markets like these having to be relocated or disappear becomes a bit much IMHO. Over at suk 38 the night market also needs to disappear and you guessed it, for yet another apartment building !

In that area alone, they have erected around five skyscrapers in the last 5 to 7 years. They are erecting so many of those, that it wil lead to saturation of the market, maybe they all forget what happened in the last major crash ?

This has been one of my favorite areas to shop in Bkk, but never knew what it was called, if anything. I call it the end of Worachak (which it isn't) for lack of anything better. And then there is that covered market area closer to the river that goes on for blocks and blocks.

The article gives emphasis to copyright stuff, but that's only a small percentage of what's for sale. There is the eyeglass area, electric motor area, small electrical appliances area (need spare parts for something?),camping and sports area (fishing poles!), and a lot more.