PM urges dissenters to respect law, avoid causing disturbances

Lite Beer

And you think things would be better, or somehow more tolerable if another bigT proxy?
Do you feel that is likely or was it a rhetorical question?

Going off previous form, id have to say the reds would be a clear favourite.

It should be pointed out, back in the Yinluck campaign many (including me) thought..

No Way will Thais elect her...and look what happened.

Unless the poor in this country have magically dropped below the 50% mark, i think the same will happen.

what is the % population of BKK citizens against greater Thailand?

Hmm, dunno. In other news, 'Anti Corruption' Chuwit is making a very big impression in social media, and a lot of what he says does make sense. However, it was pointed out that given Chuwit's past, it speaks volumes on the subject of Thai politics and those making up the political scene. I personally really do not believe the 'reds' are anywhere near as popular as some posters here would have you think. They are forgetting that Taksin was very unpopular at the time he was ousted. Barely a dissenting voice raised. Where were his supposed adoring fans then? His various proxies only got as far as they did purely down to the lackluster/absent Opposition.

Edited by dageurreotype

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Towards the end of the telecast last night he made comment that he was doing his best..for the good of the country and "why would i want power?"

I guess he does have a point, in that he is super rich already.

One could assume he's not in it for the money, but its pretty obvious he's here to help steer the ship after a certain future event.

Its going to take some strong leadership at that time, and if this guy gains experience now it can only help the country then.

The farangs that criticise everything he does do not seem to reason.. if it was not him..it would be someone else.

And im sure it could be a lot worse. Who would you knockers rather have leading the country at this time, Thaksin?

Whoever was elected to do so?

And you think things would be better, or somehow more tolerable if another bigT proxy?

It may or may not be better - but it would reflect the wishes of the electorate. That is the point in a democracy. Who are you (or I) to decide what would be better?

Edited by JAG

Towards the end of the telecast last night he made comment that he was doing his best..for the good of the country and "why would i want power?"

One could assume he's not in it for the money, but its pretty obvious he's here to help steer the ship after a certain future event.

Its going to take some strong leadership at that time, and if this guy gains experience now it can only help the country then.

The farangs that criticise everything he does do not seem to reason.. if it was not him..it would be someone else.

And im sure it could be a lot worse. Who would you knockers rather have leading the country at this time, Thaksin?

Of course.

There is money and then there is power. They are separate things, even if they intertwine with one another. Prayuth honestly believes he is bringing happiness to the people, even if they never asked for it and he is restricting their freedom. In his mind he's building his own legacy as the savior of the thailand by moving it backwards 30 years in history.

If not him, who else? Perhaps someone who was elected rather than someone who seized power illegally? Perhaps someone who doesn't suppress basic human freedoms in order to keep themselves in power?

It should be pointed out, back in the Yinluck campaign many (including me) thought..

Unless the poor in this country have magically dropped below the 50% mark, i think the same will happen.

Are you suggesting that greater Thailand should have no voice in how it is ruled? That's the present situation, and it's what the junta is trying to preserve.

Before Thaksin became PM the government of Thailand served Bangkok and ignored the rest of the country. Thaksin showed the people that democracy could give them a government that served all of Thailand. Outside of Bangkok people were thrilled, in Bangkok people were horrified.

The problem is not Thaksin, the problem (in the eyes of Bangkok) is democracy. Had there been an election in July 2014 both the PTP and Democrats would have suffered because both were being blamed for the chaos. However whatever government resulted from the election would not have been controlled by the Bangkok elite, and it would have had a fresh electoral legitimacy that would have made a coup impossible (for a while). That is what Suthep, the military, and certain other parties wanted to prevent.

As to who should be in charge for the upcoming transition, that depends on whether you value monarchy more than democracy.

Why just a proxy? What about the Man himself?

that would be a stretch, even for him.

In any case, im sure the good general has made provisions in the constitution to make that near on impossible.

Although im sure he could probably run the country from a jail cell if he was that way inclined.

It may or may not be better - but it would reflect the wishes of the electorate. That is the point in a democracy. Who are you (or I) to decide what would be better?

Exactly. We have no rights here, same as most all nations dont appreciate outsiders trying to tell them what to do.

It should matter little to us as long as we are allowed to stay here.

Whats curious is this: at the moment we are probably the only ones in Thailand who are allowed to express these sorts of sentiments.

If it came to the choice of shutting up ( because our opinions dont really count anyway) or getting tossed out of the country, id rather shut up!

Remember the Idi Armin (spelling?sorry) story?

Along the lines: he had a bad dream involving Asians one night, so on waking he ordered his henchmen to shoot on site any Asians in the country.

now thats a dictator

If the people so wish.

Hmm, dunno. In other news, 'Anti Corruption' Chuwit is making a very big impression in social media, and a lot of what he says does make sense. However, it was pointed out that given Chuwit's past, it speaks volumes on the subject of Thai politics and those making up the political scene. I personally really do not believe the 'reds' are anywhere near as popular as some posters here would have you think. They are forgetting that Taksin was very unpopular at the time he was ousted. Barely a dissenting voice raised. Where were his supposed adoring fans then? His various proxies only got as far as they did purely down to the lackluster/absent Opposition.

In that case why not call an election tmw? Should be a walkover for the junta/yellows. Edited by jesimps

What is this great unhappiness the coup has prevented? The pm talks like Thailand was about to go over a cliff and he saved the country. As typical of unelected people, they think they are more desired then reality clearly indicates is the contrary. What hilarious is he is asking people to respect the same law he broke to take power. How can you ask the masses to follow rules you break every 3-4 years in a coup.

my problem is I think he really believes what he's saying and believes he's saving Thailand and THAT is very dangerous

More dangerous some criminal fugitive telling his followers to bide their time because all will be undone when he's back.

What is this great unhappiness the coup has prevented? The pm talks like Thailand was about to go over a cliff and he saved the country. As typical of unelected people, they think they are more desired then reality clearly indicates is the contrary. What hilarious is he is asking people to respect the same law he broke to take power. How can you ask the masses to follow rules you break every 3-4 years in a coup.

Absolutely!

By stepping in PM Prayut prevented lots of people to become happy because they would be absolved of crimes by calling everything political motivated and having this blanket amnesty bill to cover political motivated 'crimes'. From 2004 to 2013-08-09 as well.

BTW some here have speculated on a 'counter-coup' in the past. Now does that mean coups are only acceptable and legal when we like them ?

"he is super rich already" Is he?

I premume that information is in the public domain, as i believe politicians are required to declare wealth when going into office. I may be wrong.

Ive seen posters mentioning figures, and i recall earlier how he chastised the media for asking questions. He aint poor thats for sure!

I premume that information is in the public domain, as i believe politicians are required to declare wealth when going into office. I may be wrong.

Ive seen posters mentioning figures, and i recall earlier how he chastised the media for asking questions. He aint poor thats for sure!

I think one thing is certain with the rich or "super rich", it's NEVER enough, they always want more.....

By Thai standards, yes, he would be...

But are there any army or police generals or x-political figures or even top monks in Thailand who are not exceptionally wealthy in relation to the wage they officially are paid?

Hard to single out the general for being rich when that's how the game is played here

If the negative comments on here by foreigners who have no say in Thai politics is any indication of how the Thai populace feels than it's a safe bet that their is very little support for this non elected government.

I am probably going to regret asking this question and I don't really expect to get a sensible answer, but why would the negative comments on here by foreigners have anything whatsoever to do with how the Thai populace feels ?

Seriously have you read that much red propaganda on this forum that it has become fact in your mind ?

If so I not only feel sorry for you but I also have a new found respect for the power of the written word. thumbsup.gif

If the negative comments on here by foreigners who have no say in Thai politics is any indication of how the Thai populace feels than it's a safe bet that their is very little support for this non elected government.

I am probably going to regret asking this question and I don't really expect to get a sensible answer, but why would the negative comments on here by foreigners have anything whatsoever to do with how the Thai populace feels ?

Seriously have you read that much red propaganda on this forum that it has become fact in your mind ?

If so I not only feel sorry for you but I also have a new found respect for the power of the written word. thumbsup.gif

Of course you wouldn't expect to get a sensible answer as you wouldn't consider anything sensible if it doesn't fit in with you and your junta loving clan.

The law of averages is a layman's term for a belief that the statistical distribution of outcomes among members of a small sample must reflect the distribution of outcomes across the population as a whole.

Also, I couldn't care less about red or yellow propaganda as they are all full of sh!t.

What I do care about are people having the right to critcize a self appointed non democratic government.

And i suppose the riot in Phuket is the population showing their full support for the police and this unelected government.

Edited by ldiablo

Seriously Mike? And the negative comments with regards to Thais and democracy by the kool aid drinkers is a reflection on how the Thai populace thinks?

You have several posters who consistently state that the population were sick of the PTP and they would have been voted out, without a single shred of evidence to back that up other than their opinion, the election was sabotaged to prevent any "surprise" reversal in their "opinions".

The propaganda jibe is lame, both sides of the divide have been ramping propaganda up, it's down to individuals to believe what they're hearing or reading.

At the end of the day, Johnny Foreigner has zero impact on Thai opinions on political matters.

Β 

Β 

What when the negative comments of the usual crowd here has no relation with how the Thai populace feels? What if the negative parts are only a reflection of some Amply Rich Thai and their cronies who are getting desperate and long to get back to the good old days of 'Democracy for the Rich'?

And i suppose the riot in Phuket is the population showing their full support for the police and this unelected government.

Well, it would seem that relatives of the two druggies killed while chased by the police were accusing the police of heavy handedness (although they weren't shot). In most countries the relatives would get a lawyer and lodge a complaint. This being Thailand it's not unheard of that a crowd can be gathered easily to 'protest' and go on a riot especially when the police is involved.

Of course, that one area of reform PM Prayut should be busy with, but to reorganise the police force AND restore its image takes time. At least steps are taken, like the stripping of a criminal fugitive of his former rank.

So, the Phuket mob seems not to have got the message, about law, order, causing disturbances, dealing with drugs, etc., etc.

Edited by rubl

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has called on dissident groups to refrain from illegal activities while being mindful of negative consequences before taking any action.

Would have been good of him to state this when Suthep was doing the "Close down Bangkok" actions.

Well, it would seem that relatives of the two druggies killed while chased by the police were accusing the police of heavy handedness (although they weren't shot). In most countries the relatives would get a lawyer and lodge a complaint. This being Thailand it's not unheard of that a crowd can be gathered easily to 'protest' and go on a riot especially when the police is involved.

Of course, that one area of reform PM Prayut should be busy with, but to reorganise the police force AND restore its image takes time. At least steps are taken, like the stripping of a criminal fugitive of his former rank.

So, the Phuket mob seems not to have got the message, about law, order, causing disturbances, dealing with drugs, etc., etc.

"Of course, that one area of reform PM Prayut should be busy with, but to reorganise the police force AND restore its image takes time."

Yes,you're right, it does take time, time better spent than fixing a lottery system that is so old and outdated, or creating bicycle lanes just to name a few.

15 months in and not one single attempt or serious discussion about reforming the police force.

How is stripping a criminal who is no longer on the police force a step in reforming the police. It was and is a personal vendetta by you know who. He had to invoke article 44 because he couldn't make it happen otherwise. And quite frankly I don't even think his rank has officially been stripped. Just a lot of hot air talk. No mention if it as of late.

"Of course, that one area of reform PM Prayut should be busy with, but to reorganise the police force AND restore its image takes time."

Yes,you're right, it does take time, time better spent than fixing a lottery system that is so old and outdated, or creating bicycle lanes just to name a few.

15 months in and not one single attempt or serious discussion about reforming the police force.

How is stripping a criminal who is no longer on the police force a step in reforming the police. It was and is a personal vendetta by you know who. He had to invoke article 44 because he couldn't make it happen otherwise. And quite frankly I don't even think his rank has officially been stripped. Just a lot of hot air talk. No mention if it as of late.

"15 months in and not one single attempt or serious discussion about reforming the police force."

Let's be fair about this, the junta isn't specifically ignoring the need for police reform. The junta hasn't reformed anything, or even provided a coherent statement of the reforms it wants to bring about.

I suggest that Suthep start with an area he knows best--the Thai military clearly needs some radical reform.

You have to excuse rubl, all revolves around the ugly Thaksin. The stripping of his rank quite clearly shows the priorities of this government, childish fixation on someone who technically doesn't matter and hasn't for quite some years now. And as you correctly pointed out, it has done absolutely nothing for the reform of the police force.

Truth be told, this government will not reform, it will not stop corruption (especially not the kind the army has been a beneficiary off for decades), and it has no real plans to offer reconciliation. All it will do is consolidate their power and making sure that any politician or government that receives a solid electoral mandate cannot run the country without them interfering.

It's a pity for the portion of the Thai electorate that didn't openly call for a coup and a 'it serves you right' for the part that did.