Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the ‘farang tax’?

Jonathan Fairfield

One way to lessen the outrage is to regard it as a 'Thai subsidy' rather than a 'farang tax'.

How many Thais would go to the parks and zoos and so on if they had to pay the outrageous sums we do?

It's not a subsidy. Back in 1999 it cost 20 baht for everyone to enter national parks. Then the 400 bt fee for foreigners was introduced.

Didn't the current PM suggest/DEMAND that foreigners be charged more?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In USA if you use a state golf course you pay a higher price if you come from out of state - if you go to a state university you pay a much higher price if from another state… and all for people of the same country… US Citizens..

The fellow who was, I forget the wording, grossly overpriced in Phuket - well, it was only $5-6 - not that big a deal really… I am sure an out of state round of golf would have cost him more and not even upset him - people pay these fees all the time in other places…

and yet, people seem to feel strongly here that they are being ripped off… ??

Your argument does not hold up. Using your logic if I live in Chiang Mai province then I should get the Thai rate which I do not. Again, for me a wildlife photographer who actually contributes to Thai society by discovering and photographing wild butterflies, dragonflies and other bugs on an almost daily basis getting charged 10x or 20x or 40x's the Thai rate depending on the whim of the person asking for the money is a rip off. I don't doubt they pocket some of it for themselves.

So at the end of the day it IS about the money as well as the reason why we get charged a different rate and WHY is there no standard?

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1

Many " Farang " are their own worst enemy.

They continue to " tip " all the time to Thai people who have now come to expect the tip as a standard way of life, when really, these people earn sufficient wages, and are no longer " poor people ".

The " Farang Tax " placed at National Parks Etc, is a directive from the present Government who mandated a 10X charge for Foreigners.

Does " Lonely Planet Guide " mention this ?

Please let me know if I am mistaken, aside from Tourists, but regarding Foreigners who live here, do you not pay the Thai price if you show a Thai driving license or yellow book?

At one time this was the case, but nowadays they want the full farang price even if you have lived here for years, have a Thai driving license and speak fluent Thai. I refuse to pay, so don't go to National Parks any more.

Yes this topic is done to death and until the practise stops, it always will be. The argument is simple, it's MORALLY wrong to discriminate. It is NEVER about the money which maybe as little as a few baht. Those who say they don't care, in my opinion have no self respect. I will never knowingly allow myself to be overcharged, not one baht, not a thousand baht. It isn't a discount for Thai people, it's an overcharge to non Thai people on a grand scale.

It's not about rich foreigners and poor Thais, most of my Thai friends have considerably more money than me yet would never pay more than me for a park or attraction.

It's very simple really, there is no moral or economic justification for overcharging. You ARE being cheated and ripped off and you're happy with that then the n my opinion you're a fool.

They continue to " tip " all the time to Thai people who have now come to expect the tip as a standard way of life, when really, these people earn sufficient wages, and are no longer " poor people ".

The " Farang Tax " placed at National Parks Etc, is a directive from the present Government who mandated a 10X charge for Foreigners.

Yes this is why my gf gets pissed off at me when I tip. She tells me it's our fault Thai people now expect a tip from Thais too. Every time we take a taxi now she ends up paying because she doesn't want to tip. She really finds it moronic I do this.

Yes this topic is done to death and until the practise stops, it always will be. The argument is simple, it's MORALLY wrong to discriminate. It is NEVER about the money which maybe as little as a few baht. Those who say they don't care, in my opinion have no self respect. I will never knowingly allow myself to be overcharged, not one baht, not a thousand baht. It isn't a discount for Thai people, it's an overcharge to non Thai people on a grand scale.

It's not about rich foreigners and poor Thais, most of my Thai friends have considerably more money than me yet would never pay more than me for a park or attraction.

It's very simple really, there is no moral or economic justification for overcharging. You ARE being cheated and ripped off and you're happy with that then the n my opinion you're a fool.

This argument is even simpler than you are suggesting, if you think the price is too high, don't pay it. If you are worried over 10 baht, you are indeed a worried man, life is too short to get upset over such trivial matters.

When I first visited Thailand about 30 years ago I was highly impressed with the honesty of Thai people,since when it all changed?

It changed when millions of obnoxious stupid foreigners started flooding in. Expect it to get worse. The obnoxious foreigners seem to be getting worse yearly. Just too many alcoholics with their bar girls.

your girlfriend is correct. perhaps listen to her more often you might learn something.

Yes this is why my gf gets pissed off at me when I tip. She tells me it's our fault Thai people now expect a tip from Thais too. Every time we take a taxi now she ends up paying because she doesn't want to tip. She really finds it moronic I do this.

Lonely Planet is used by millions of lost idiots.

Please let me know if I am mistaken, aside from Tourists, but regarding Foreigners who live here, do you not pay the Thai price if you show a Thai driving license or yellow book?

Perhaps, but the dual pricing is a part of life if you live here, you have to learn all the tricks like sending your wife into a shop t get a price on goods and staying out of site.

Tuk - Tuks will rip you if they can but if you live here again you know prices, Koh Samui is a different story running taxi meter's with no meters and songtels demanding exhorbitant prices.

One songtel wanted 1500 BHt to take 4 of us 2 thai 2 falang 4 km to a restuarant, I flatly refused and just kept waiting for the next and next songtel until 100 bht was accepted, the thai fare was 30 BHT.

Songtel driver in Pattaya got nasty with me when I paid him 15 bht , the Thai fare for a 1 km ride he demanded 100 bht I walked away with him threatening me.

So yes the overcharging is nasty and danagerous sometimes and a smudge on Thailands tourist industry but how you can you cure it???

Stop being a bunch of cheap skates!

Thais on average earn 100 baht a day. What is 200 baht for us farangs??? $5US which we make in 10 minutes of work compare to a Thai its 2 days (24 hours of work).

Thailand is cheap enough where they need to fix their prices at bars and clubs cause booze is the same as back home! Totally rip off here for alcoholic beverages!!!

The answer in my case is NO I show my Thai drivers license all the time it's the colour of my skin that they are more interested in !

Thais on average earn 100 baht a day. What is 200 baht for us farangs??? $5US which we make in 10 minutes of work compare to a Thai its 2 days (24 hours of work).

Thailand is cheap enough where they need to fix their prices at bars and clubs cause booze is the same as back home! Totally rip off here for alcoholic beverages!!!

Maybe that is the case where you may live but here on Koh Samui it's a lot higher I would suggest its 500 baht minimum where I am living !

฿100 a day, dream on. That certainly isn't Thai's. Cambodians & the like maybe when not being extorted with threats of deportation.

I know for a fact 10 years ago working in a sweatshop in Bangkok people would earn ฿300 on an average day, could push it to ฿400 but would work nearly 20 hours for that.

฿300 is the minimum wage for Thai's but most wouldn't work for that, unless young.

& that's just what the country needs to clean up its act, more cheap booze. Certainly got your priorities in order there.

Edited by Gringogazzer

I'm an Aussie getting in for Thai prices because I have the yellow book from the district office for my home......plus I've been married to my Thai wife along time and speak Thai but it's always the yellow book that does it.

฿100 a day, dream on. That certainly isn't Thai's. Cambodians & the like maybe when not being extorted with threats of deportation.

I know for a fact 10 years ago working in a sweatshop in Bangkok people would earn ฿300 on an average day, could push it to ฿400 but would work nearly 20 hours for that.

฿300 is the minimum wage for Thai's but most wouldn't work for that, unless young.

I know for a fact that people here in the Isaan area work on the field an entire day for 150 to max 200 Bath a day and they aren't Cambodians & the like but Thai

I know for a fact that people here in the Isaan area work on the field an entire day for 150 to max 200 Bath a day and they aren't Cambodians & the like but Thai
Well that's not ฿100 is it & they're worse off than their poor neighbours, Laotians.

Wife & brother in-law pay ฿200 a day in the paddy fields in Lao.

When I first visited Thailand about 30 years ago I was highly impressed with the honesty of Thai people,since when it all changed?

It changed when millions of obnoxious stupid foreigners started flooding in. Expect it to get worse. The obnoxious foreigners seem to be getting worse yearly. Just too many alcoholics with their bar girls.

Yeah right. It's the fault of anyone but those actually basing pricing on nationality.

Edited by Bluespunk

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Serious? What, did the 200 baht national park fee break their budget?

Hope they didn't go to Malaysia, Leos, Cambodia . . .

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

Its a matter of Principle . it also makes new tourists feel cheated and ex pats not happy , many people on this forum constantly point out . When will they ever learn good PR in the long run is good for Thailand .

Sometimes....most times not....and fewer and fewer times of late.

Off topic posts, inflammatory posts, troll posts and replies have been removed as well as the replies. Some off topic posts may have been missed and will be removed later.

A post commenting on moderation has now been removed.

Edited by metisdead