12-year-old girl becomes third fatality from Phuket bus welding fire

Lite Beer

12-year-old girl becomes third fatality from Phuket bus welding fire
Darawan Naknakhon

1444554133_1-org.jpg

Nong Toon in ICU.

PHUKET: A 12 year old girl who was being treated for smoke inhalation at Phang Nga Hospital following a bus fire incident on October 7, has finally died, hospital staff confirmed on Saturday morning(Oct 10).

The young girl, who has been named only as “Nong Toom” is the third fatality from the fire, which happened on the morning of October 7, while the Phuket had stopped at the Songpon Steel workshop in Takua Thung for welding repairs to a broken driver’s seat. (See initial story here.)

Twelve others were also hospitalized initially, two of which – including Nong Toon – have since died.

Phang Nga Hospital Deputy director Dr Tipparat Tansakulprasert confirmed that 12 year old Nong Toon (real name omitted) died in ICU on Saturday morning (October 10) as a result of complications from smoke inhalation.

“When rescue workers brought Nong Toon to the hospital, she was unconscious and we were able to revive her. She remained in ICU in critical condition and was being monitored closely by staff but we lost her today amid the sadness and sorrow of staffs,friends and family,” Dr Tipparat said in a statement issued on Saturday afternoon.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/12-year-old-girl-becomes-third-fatality-from-phuket-bus-welding-fire-54494.php#sthash.Bq7GHiay.dpuf

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-11

12 year old girl dead - tragic. This stupid/irresponsible driver has much to answer for ....

With education being the way it is, not being taught to be responsible for their actions,

no real penalties for transgression,

who is really to blame?

Perhaps it is time that Thai Society took a good hard look at itself and start to make changes?

She has finally died. What a nice way to say it. Glad to get a new open bed in the hospital I guess

RIP young lady it's a shame they didn't say it in another way.

I'm sure they expressed their sorrow in Thai. You're moaning about a translation.

RIP

Edited by stevenl

Is it just me, or does there always seem to be someone grinning or sharing a joke when we are presented with these dreadfully tragic images?

I was thinking the same thing, so, no, it's not just you.

Doctors and nurses wouldn't be able to do their jobs if they were personally affected by every tragedy that they see. They see hundreds of deaths a year, and they have to learn to carry on as normal so that they can do their duties in a professional manner.

I agree that Thai people sometimes act in a way that a Westerner would consider "insensitive" when confronted with death. But criticising medical staff for smiling as they do their jobs is very harsh. They are not posing for the camera. Thai people smile a lot, it is natural to them.

Is it just me, or does there always seem to be someone grinning or sharing a joke when we are presented with these dreadfully tragic images?

I worked in an American hospital in IT. We shared a break room with medical staff. You might be shocked at how gross nurses can be but I long ago decided it was a coping mechanism. They are emotionally exposed to some horrible things, especially involving children, that might push the rest of us over the edge.

I'm sure they were just sick about losing that little girl.

That picture is horrible. The hospital staff clearly seems to be posing for the photo and finding it somehow amusing while the family grieves.

12 year old girl dead - tragic. This stupid/irresponsible driver has much to answer for ....

I have not read the story...or the circumstances surrounding it,can you enlighten me as to your comment about the driver?

Taking into account the above,I would say it was the responsibility of the employee/s of the steel company that done the welding repairs,if the welding was done with people on the bus,and the battery not disconnected,he had to be a F'wit, then the steel company should be held liable for dangerous work practices and Manslaughter.

The only way you are going to stop incidents such as this,is through education...Only a few months ago I saw a guy grinding steel,directly into his mate four feet away from him,followed a short time later by a guy grinding and welding at a Gasoline bowser at a local bar...Unreal....but. T.I.T.

I have not read the story...or the circumstances surrounding it,can you enlighten me as to your comment about the driver?

Taking into account the above,I would say it was the responsibility of the employee/s of the steel company that done the welding repairs,if the welding was done with people on the bus,and the battery not disconnected,he had to be a F'wit, then the steel company should be held liable for dangerous work practices and Manslaughter.

The only way you are going to stop incidents such as this,is through education...Only a few months ago I saw a guy grinding steel,directly into his mate four feet away from him,followed a short time later by a guy grinding and welding at a Gasoline bowser at a local bar...Unreal....but. T.I.T.

It's always the driver's responsibilty for pax safety, and the pax should have been removed from the bus while any sort of work undertaken. Seems that the driver borrowed the weld gear and did the work himself, although another news report says he was working on some sort of seat electrical connection,who knows the true story, likely the welding story and not disconnection the battery.

= driver stupid/irresponsible and let's add irresponsile.

She has finally died. What a nice way to say it. Glad to get a new open bed in the hospital I guess

RIP young lady it's a shame they didn't say it in another way.

I'm sure they expressed their sorrow in Thai. You're moaning about a translation.

RIP

It's what was in print.......whether a translation or not, it still comes across as a non caring comment!

That picture is horrible. The hospital staff clearly seems to be posing for the photo and finding it somehow amusing while the family grieves.

Nowhere does it say that the poor little girl was dead when the photo was taken. Dont talk rubbish if you dont know all the facts.

I worked in an American hospital in IT. We shared a break room with medical staff. You might be shocked at how gross nurses can be but I long ago decided it was a coping mechanism. They are emotionally exposed to some horrible things, especially involving children, that might push the rest of us over the edge.

right ... that was during the break in a room you shared, but NOT on Intensive Care Unit, next to the bed with a dead girl, in front of her devastated parents ...!!!! .... there's no any possible excuse for such a behavior that is quite common for Thai medical staff here

right ... that was during the break in a room you shared, but NOT on Intensive Care Unit, next to the bed with a dead girl, in front of her devastated parents ...!!!! .... there's no any possible excuse for such a behavior that is quite common for Thai medical staff here

And how do you know the photo from the Op was taken with with a dead girl in her bed next to the devastated parents?

What a disgusting behaviour from the doctor and nurse laughing in the face of the dead girls Family, who also look like they dont believe this lack of respect but TiT ... No respect for other people ...

RIP

Why do you think this was taken after her death?

Nowhere does it say that the poor little girl was dead when the photo was taken. Dont talk rubbish if you dont know all the facts.

Who said she was dead? You can clearly the family is distraught at their daughter's injuries; who would not be? And the staff seems to think it's some kind of a lark.