Upgrading to Windows 10

SpoliaOpima

Has anyone upgraded to Windows 10 yet? I'm poised to do so on my ASUS laptop, but wondering if anyone has found that during the upgrade installation they lost any programs or files. I've read that older applications might have a problem. Most of my software is less than two years old, but I do run a few older programs that I've relied upon heavily for nearly 10 years, like Memento.

Thanks.

Quite a few folks have upgraded...I did on day one of public release for my Lenovo laptop...pretty smooth upgrade....been running Win 10 for about 2.5 months now...all is well.

Your results may vary...some folks did run into major problems upgrading...Win 10 related in some cases...not really Win 10 related in other cases like due to software/apps not be Win 10 compatible yet.

And a few weeks ago I bought a dirt cheap (521 baht/12.9 Euro) Win 10 Pro license off Ebay and upgraded my Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro by just changing the license number...took about 5 minutes...all is still well.

Below ThaiVisa thread has quite a few posts from various people who have upgraded...using the Search function on ThaiVisa will pull up more Win 10 install threads.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/844279-upgraded-to-win-10-today29-july-without-issue/?p=9676137

Before doing the upgrade be sure to image/backup your system....that way if the Win 10 upgrade fails or the built-in roll back option fails, you can just reload your image backup. No need to lose even "one" file with a little preparation before upgrading. During periodic backups is just safe and smart whether upgrading or not because sooner or later your computer or drive will fail.

I did my desktop about 3 weeks ago and one of my laptops 2 weeks ago and never lost a thing. The desktop was 64 bit and the laptop was 32 bit and both downloads went in fine.

Now my old steam powered laptop tells me it is lonely and wants an upgrade so I will probably have a go at that one later in the week.

I upgraded my Lenovo some weeks ago without hassle. The Laptop came with 8.1 pre-installed. I just can say that i not want to go back anymore, love it realy a lot. Best OS ever, for my taste and i had them all since 3.1, also Apples OS`s.

Offtopic (somehow):

About spyware and ppl who dont install it for that reason...: i hope you act with this in mind also with all the other things where privacy is collected, like paypal, Android/iOS/Windows Phone, the Browser itself when entering websites and all the possible places that "steal" privacy information.

I dont say i dont care about it but im for sure not paranoid. Im programmer myself so i know very well where these spies are hidden.

Edited by byteHunter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. I upgraded to Windows 10, and didn't lose a thing. Even programs installed as far back as 2005 which are no longer in production and for which there's no current support, still worked fine, and all associated data was intact.

Aside from ease of upgrade, I'm quite happy with Win10 so far. Day-to-day operations seems faster, and the Start menu is a huge improvement over Win 8.1. Pretty sure the battery life on my laptop has improved as well.

My Canon printer now does not work after changing from Win 8. I checked the Canon website and no driver is available for Win 10.

Mind you the printer is about 10 years old so maybe I should be grateful that it managed to work so long!

My 4 or 5 year old Canon MP287 printer/scanner works under Win 10 fine...also worked under Win 8.1 fine and works under Win 7 fine...both for printing and scanning.

When I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 the printer continued to work fine...Win 10 automatically loaded a driver with a date of 27 Jun 13 (I looked about 10 minutes ago) or used the Win 8.1 driver...I couldn't say for sure...I just know it worked.

In seeing that 2013 driver date I wondered if maybe Win 10 used a older driver so I went to the Canon support website and saw they had a driver dated Jul 15 and it said it was for Win 10/8.1.7/etc. But info on the driver implied the updated driver was really only fixing an issue related to XPS file support for the IJ model which must be a version with the MP280 series.

I said what the heck...download/install it to see what happens. It installed fine and and it even said it uninstalled the older driver during that process.

When I checked the Windows Device Driver section again to see what driver was loaded for my MP287 it still showed the 27 Jun 13 driver date. But there is also a MP287 "XPS" printer showing which I'm not sure was there before...it probably was and I just hadn't noticed it before....but with the XPS printer showing I couldn't fine where it showed the version/date.

I then used Windows to check and see if a new driver was available...it looked...apparently found something....did a quick download...then said I'm running the latest driver....that driver was still the 27 Jun 13 driver.

Summary: my 4 year old Canon printer works under Win 10...not to imply all Canon printers will especially 10 year old ones..

P.S. Now when it comes to Canon standalone scanners I have one that is about 10 years old and I couldn't get it to work under Win 8.1....worked fine under Win 7, Vista, and XP. Haven't tried Win 10 but I expect it won't work. When it comes to scanners it seems they don't offer driver support much beyond 3-5 years for various models...their way to get you to buy another Canon scanner I guess. However I can make the scanner easily work using the VueScan scanning software which will work with many, many, many legacy scanners as VueScan just writes its own twain driver for legacy scanners....something Canon could easily do by updating their twain driver for your model but instead just drop driver support usually after 3 to 5 years.

Dug out that old Canon scanner and tried it with Win 10 to see if Win 10 would automatically load a compatible driver to work with any scanner software when plugging in the scanner.

Win 10 couldn't fine a compatible driver just as Win 8.1 couldn't. Canon just dropped driver support for this old scanner model after Win 7. Not going to waste my time with the Canon driver website because I attempted to get the driver to work under Win 8.1 for the longest time but couldn't. Googling the issue showed other owners of my model had the same issue.

But it did load the VueScan scanner software twain driver for my model and the scanner work (just as with Win 8.1). But it only works with the VueScan software which I don't use (just have a limited, freeware version loaded for testing purposes).

Basically Win 10 can not find a compatible driver (just like Win 8.1 couldn't) to load to get the scanner to work natively within Windows for any scanner software. Oh well, I now just use the scanner built into my Canon printer/scanner.

@ rak sa_ngop: Before sure to check the Canon website for your model...download/install the latest driver even it is says for an earlier Windows OS like Win 7 or Vista..maybe even XP. You may get lucky and it will work since "printer-only" drivers are a lot less complicated/picky than scanner-only and scanner-printer drivers.

Thanks for the feedback. I upgraded to Windows 10, and didn't lose a thing. Even programs installed as far back as 2005 which are no longer in production and for which there's no current support, still worked fine, and all associated data was intact.

Aside from ease of upgrade, I'm quite happy with Win10 so far. Day-to-day operations seems faster, and the Start menu is a huge improvement over Win 8.1. Pretty sure the battery life on my laptop has improved as well.

I am very satisfied with Win 10; every thing from Win 7 works fine, even very old games , like Microsoft Train simulator ( 2001 ) work fine

with the future updates, even programs which don't work now will work , for instance synctoy

I've experienced that there's a huge difference when Windows "offered" you the upgrade through your taskbar, or when you did an upgrade by using an ISO file, available on the net.

The "offered ones" usually caused no problems, while the ISO set up always had a problem that needed a lot of time and consideration to get it finally done.

I'm glad that the best working program is on my main PC at home. First it "told me" that I won't be able to keep my two other language packs. But when all was done and dusted without a problem, I had all three language packs, including spoofing tools, etc...

I don't know how long you actually have to run a machine to get the invitation message from Microsoft?

The problem I had was that the machines had to be ready in a short period of time, two of them were PC's at my school, I'm always using.

If anybody has got a problem and no idea how to solve it, please feel free to send me a message.I know some ways to solve a few problems you might encounter.

I always installed Windows 10 pro, so I've got no idea what's different to the "normal version">

P.S. Edited to add: Make one, better two functioning back ups using Windows, or Acronis before you even start any setup, or upgrade.

Create an emergency boot CD, when using Windows, then it's easy to get back where you were before. Just a few clicks.

Cheers- wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I actually downgraded my ASUS (N550JV) to Windows 7 as the Win8/8.1 was unusable. Not touching spyware Win10 anytime soon.

If you're not confident in your ability to select the right advanced install options, you're probably better off using Apple products. They're like Fisher Price toys for grown ups really.