Celebrity beer kerfuffle resolved, says deputy Thai PM

webfact

Celebrity beer kerfuffle resolved, says deputy PM
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung,
Poungchompoo Prasert
The Nation

30270755-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The case of Thai celebrities posting pictures of themselves online endorsing alcoholic beverages has been resolved as they have been brought up to speed with Thai laws, said Deputy Prime Minister Air Chief Marshal Prajin Jantong.

They were simply ignorant of the law, he said, but they will feel the long arm of the law if they repeat the offence and violate the relevant laws.

Prajin said the law would be applied equally to celebrities. He said this case emerged from the fact that celebrities had the public attention hence their behaviour could create a social trend.

Dr Samarn Futrakul, director of the Office of Alcoholic Drinks Control Committee of the Diseases Control Department, yesterday said the 30 Thai celebrities who posted pictures of themselves with alcoholic beverage on social media obviously violated article 32 of the Alcohol Beverage Control Act.

He said they shouldn't get away by claiming they didn't get paid for such posts.

The celebrities' offence could be divided in two: firstly, they let people see and hear the alcohol advertising message clearly to yield commercial gain, which is illegal even if they did not get paid; and secondly, despite the claim that they did not do it for their own commercial gain, the action was still a gesture to describe the product's benefits and convince others directly or indirectly to drink the alcohol beverages.

"These actors, singers or athletes are like magnets for copy cats and there were also some captions convincing people to drink. All these could be considered a violation of article 32," he added.

"Initially, seven out of the 30 celebrities needed to be summoned because they participated in the alcohol company's campaign to get people to post pictures on Instagram. The winners would have their photos taken with these celebrities," Samarn said.

The remaining celebrities confessed to participating "to help promote" on their own. The offered to pay a fine, which Samarn said was doable.

However, if such cases are often repeated then the fine wouldn't be enough punishment, he said. This same legal standard is used for the general public too, he warned.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Celebrity-beer-kerfuffle-resolved-says-deputy-PM-30270755.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-13

"He said this case emerged from the fact that celebrities had the public attention hence their behaviour could create a social trend."

Wouldn't it be nice if the celebrities banded together to make a movie about cleaning up the RTP thru honesty and integrity?

I wonder if the three taxi drivers I saw at 6.15 today at the top of Udom Suk Road drinking beer on the forecourt of a petrol station are ignorant of the country's alcohol laws?

Looked like quite a party. I guess they won't be driving home or to work later...

One would have thought that Thailand had nothing better to do than monitor people's behaviour on social media , so that will give expats some food for thought , moreover , the most important resource besides it's people , water supplies, are drying up and Thailand's Government Administration practices being peeping Tom'scoffee1.gif .

They were simply ignorant of the law, he said, but they will feel the long arm of the law if they repeat the offence and violate the relevant laws.

Sorry mister Deputy PM, but as a foreigner who has no government position, let alone such an important role as Deputy PM, and who has followed only one course in Thai law I seem to be knowing more about the Thai legal system than you:

for a law to become effective it needs to be published in the Royal Gazette (ราชกิจจานุเบกษา) and from that point onwards it is available for every Thai citizen. Claiming ignorance of the law is no excuse, as everybody has had to opportunity to request the Royal Gazette and read it.

The whole issue is ridiculous, I have never been to a restaurant in Thailand where I couldn't buy and drink a beer, with children present. Less than 30 meters from my house there is a corner store/bar, drunks staggering out of there at all hours, sleeping on the road, while children are all around the place. The idea that it is an offense to display an image of a person holding a bottle of beer on social media is nuts. I don't use facebook, or any of the others, but there have been plenty of photos of me holding a beverage taken over the years, never hurt anyone but myself as far as I know.

I wonder if the three taxi drivers I saw at 6.15 today at the top of Udom Suk Road drinking beer on the forecourt of a petrol station are ignorant of the country's alcohol laws?

Looked like quite a party. I guess they won't be driving home or to work later...

This is something like the three yellow-roofed Tuk-Tuks transporting passengers in Karon Beach. They are just licensed for transport within Phuket City limits, but the arm seems to be too short to reach out to the other side of the island.

I don't use facebook, or any of the others, but there have been plenty of photos of me holding a beverage taken over the years, never hurt anyone but myself as far as I know.

The difference is that these people are famous. They have tons of followers and they set trends. If they make comments or post pictures it has a much larger impact than when you do it.

If these people get paid for posting pics with these beverages then the alcohol giants found a way to move around the law and that should be punished/stopped.

"He said this case emerged from the fact that celebrities had the public attention hence their behaviour could create a social trend."

Wouldn't it be nice if the celebrities banded together to make a movie about cleaning up the RTP thru honesty and integrity?

It would be banned!!!!

A real win-win for everyone in this whole ‘kerfuffle’ (almost).

The celebs get off with a warning, and Chang gets loads of free advertising, (and, dare I say it, some officials have probably received sufficient inducement to resolve the issue).

The only sour puss seems to be Dr Futrakul. Either he doesn’t drink, or he didn’t benefit from the resolution.

Seems the good doctor believes the celebs were guilty of yielding to commercial gain, and were trying to convince others directly or indirectly to drink the alcohol beverages.

Well, I don’t think the celebs are the only ones guilty of yielding to commercial gain in Thailand, and I don’t think Thai people need too much convincing when it comes to drinking.

In that context, I hope his statement that “these actors, singers or athletes are like magnets for copy cats…”, is not an endorsement for fridge magnets?

post-209291-0-74758400-1444703648_thumb.

A real win-win for everyone in this whole kerfuffle (almost).

The celebs get off with a warning, and Chang gets loads of free advertising, (and, dare I say it, some officials have probably received sufficient inducement to resolve the issue).

The only sour puss seems to be Dr Futrakul. Either he doesnt drink, or he didnt benefit from the resolution.

Seems the good doctor believes the celebs were guilty of yielding to commercial gain, and were trying to convince others directly or indirectly to drink the alcohol beverages.

Well, I dont think the celebs are the only ones guilty of yielding to commercial gain in Thailand, and I dont think Thai people need too much convincing when it comes to drinking.

In that context, I hope his statement that these actors, singers or athletes are like magnets for copy cats, is not an endorsement for fridge magnets?

Winston Churchill is supposed to have said there were two kinds of problem drinkers, those who drink too much and those who drink too little.

Wonder where the good doctor fits in ?

I don't use facebook, or any of the others, but there have been plenty of photos of me holding a beverage taken over the years, never hurt anyone but myself as far as I know.

The difference is that these people are famous. They have tons of followers and they set trends. If they make comments or post pictures it has a much larger impact than when you do it.

If these people get paid for posting pics with these beverages then the alcohol giants found a way to move around the law and that should be punished/stopped.

So by extension then if they post a picture of themselves eating noodles then we can expect their followers to all start eating noodles?

Or does such behavioral mimicry only apply when alcohol is the subject of the photo?

So by extension then if they post a picture of themselves eating noodles then we can expect their followers to all start eating noodles?

Or does such behavioral mimicry only apply when alcohol is the subject of the photo?

The likelihood of their followers also eating noodles will increase, yes. Just as their followers copy the way celebrities dress, wear their makeup, and their hairstyle. I hope this is nothing new for you.

Go to a famous noodle bar and admire the pics of celebraties eating noodles there on the wall (or the royal family opening the shop). Why do you think they put those pics up?

As noodles are not deemed as dangerous and damaging as alcohol i doubt there will be an outcry when celebraties post "noodle eating pics". Advertizing for noodles is allowed and not under as much scrutiny as alcohol advertizing.