Tense times in Jerusalem

webfact

Tense times in Jerusalem

JERUSALEM: -- As Israeli checkpoints go up in Arab East Jerusalem everyday movement for Palestinians is becoming more and more restricted.

Human Rights Watch says “The checkpoints are a recipe for harassment and abuse.”

Since October seven Israelis have been killed and dozens wounded, while 30 Palestinians have died with hundreds injured in escalating violence.

One Palestinian resident in East Jerusalem said the extra security will not help the situation:

“Nothing helps even if they bring in more soldiers and security or if they put up more checkpoints or even if they impose closure. The only thing that will help is to end the occupation in East Jerusalem and give something to the Palestinian Authority.”

The Jewish community feels under threat from indiscriminate attacks from knife wielding Palestinians: “It’s scary to walk around in the street at night. I get out of work late and the streets are empty, and it’s really scary to walk around when there are no people. You have no idea where a terrorist can come from, in the middle of the Jaffa road, run you over, stab or do something to you. It’s not easy, but we will cope,” said an Israeli woman living in the city.

Amid all the tension tourists continue to flock to Jerusalem: “I don’t think that the threat is really against tourists. I think it’s very clear that it’s that kind of a Palestinian-Israeli conflict. I mean, there is a huge police presence and that definitely makes you feel safer,” said Catelyn Sugar, an American tourist from Seattle.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-15

As Israeli checkpoints go up in Arab East Jerusalem everyday movement for Palestinians is becoming more and more restricted.
Human Rights Watch says “The checkpoints are a recipe for harassment and abuse.”
The next question is for how long is this situation to continue. How long will Palestinians be segregated and sealed off in their own homes in their own land by a foreign army? Has any period been specified?
What is the next part of Netanyahu's plan?
He claims others have incited this unrest, but he could have nipped this in the bud so quickly by deeds instead of words, Rather than the whole of East Jerusalem he could have sealed off Al Aqsa Mosque from Jewish visitors and troublemakers for a few weeks until things had calmed down.
He thrives on orchestrating conflict. He has done it before. It is the only way he and his right wing cabinet can stay in power.

One Palestinian resident in East Jerusalem said the extra security will not help the situation:
“Nothing helps even if they bring in more soldiers and security or if they put up more checkpoints or even if they impose closure. The only thing that will help is to end the occupation in East Jerusalem and give something to the Palestinian Authority.”
I agree: empower Abbas and the PA to show they are achieving something so that Israel has a partner in peace.
Edited by dexterm

"The only thing that will help is to end the occupation in East Jerusalem and give something to the Palestinian Authority."

In a nutshell.

Why is this so hard for the apologists to understand?

Mr Stallion. It's easy to understand. Quite another to agree with. I wonder why u don't mention what the Ps would offer in return... Is it that obvious? And can they just fifer it with assurances? You make it sound like an easy negotiation. Perhaps you can offer other instances where Ps or other ME Muslims have been offered an olive branch and how that turned out. Or maybe you could explain why olive branches are in order with someone who denies your right to exist? Perhaps that's too difficult to understand - Mr Stallion!!!

"The only thing that will help is to end the occupation in East Jerusalem and give something to the Palestinian Authority."

In a nutshell.

Mr Stallion. It's easy to understand. Quite another to agree with. I wonder why u don't mention what the Ps would offer in return... Is it that obvious? And can they just fifer it with assurances? You make it sound like an easy negotiation. Perhaps you can offer other instances where Ps or other ME Muslims have been offered an olive branch and how that turned out. Or maybe you could explain why olive branches are in order with someone who denies your right to exist? Perhaps that's too difficult to understand - Mr Stallion!!!

Mr G, Why do the "Ps" have to offer anything for the return of their stolen property? They have offered peace, but this is rejected by the Zionists who want to grab more land and water. You make out that Muslims are untrustworthy as a whole....rather racist. The PA do not deny the right of Israel to exist...stop with the old diversion. Is that easy to understand, Mr G!!!?

In a nutshell.

Egypt - Israel peace agreement 1979

Jordan - Israel peace agreement 1994

...permanent peace between nations, exchange of ambassadors, trade, tourism..the works.

The Palestinians recognized Israel's right to exist in 1993. They are still waiting for Israel to reciprocate after 22 years of Israel stalling negotiations while they build more illegal settlements.. That is what all the pent up frustration in the OP is all about. Young Palestinians born since then are tired of waiting.

Letter from Yasser Arafat to Prime Minister Rabin. September 9, 1993
"Yitzhak Rabin
Prime Minister of Israel
Mr. Prime Minister,
The signing of the Declaration of Principles marks a new era in the history of the Middle East. In firm conviction thereof, I would like to confirm the following PLO commitments:
The PLO recognizes the right of the State of Israel to exist in peace and security."
Edited by dexterm

In a nutshell.

Mr G, Why do the "Ps" have to offer anything for the return of their stolen property? They have offered peace, but this is rejected by the Zionists who want to grab more land and water. You make out that Muslims are untrustworthy as a whole....rather racist. The PA do not deny the right of Israel to exist...stop with the old diversion. Is that easy to understand, Mr G!!!?

Good response.

Concise, civil, and factual.

Mr G sounds confused. His quote "...someone who denies your right to exist..." sounds more like the pervasive Zionist attitude toward Palestinians.

People who are being evicted from their homes and land by the expansion of illegal Israeli settlements are the target of Zionist propaganda.

[quote name="Harveyg" post="9967657" timestamp="A

In a nutshell.

Good response.
Mr G sounds confused. His quote "...someone who denies your right to exist..." sounds more like the pervasive Zionist attitude toward Palestinians.
People who are being evicted from their homes and land by the expansion of illegal Israeli settlements are the target of Zionist propaganda.

Well I just lost a long reply and don't have the energy to reconstruct it. Maybe just as well. These tit for tats go nowhere. We don't know all the facts. The Ps are one small cog, or perhaps hapless pawn, in the regions mess, so considering only the Israelis and Ps doesn't work. But one thing I want to address.

"They have offered peace, but this is rejected by the Zionists" could have been written w the word Israelis instead.
Mr Ginger uses the word Zionists pejoratively as well.
Gentlemen, in this way, you show me from whence you come, and I believe you want it that way.

[quote name="Harveyg" post="9967657" timestamp="A

In a nutshell.

Good response.

Well I just lost a long reply and don't have the energy to reconstruct it. Maybe just as well. These tit for tats go nowhere. We don't know all the facts. The Ps are one small cog, or perhaps hapless pawn, in the regions mess, so considering only the Israelis and Ps doesn't work. But one thing I want to address.

"They have offered peace, but this is rejected by the Zionists" could have been written w the word Israelis instead.
Mr Ginger uses the word Zionists pejoratively as well.
Gentlemen, in this way, you show me from whence you come, and I believe you want it that way.

Er not all Israelis are Jewish, therefore use of the Zionist is correct in this context

Israelis better start getting serious about the two state solution, or they can only expect to live looking over their shoulder so long as they live.

If they stop it in Jerusalem it will start in the west bank, and if they stop it there, it will spread worldwide- good luck stopping that with checkpoints!

They still have time to do the right thing- agree to the two state solution and withdraw from the illegally occupied Palestinian lands. However, time is running out.