Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

I earn good money in UK/Europe I know, however I do have the notion to not spend/give my whole life to this same work. The point of travelling further, somebody else mentioned this to me as well, traveling around vietnam, combodia, malysia as well as thailand, maybe do this, but first come to thailand and stay/relax for a few months at least.

See here.

---------------

Maestro

Thanks Maestro, already contacted the thai consulate at Hull in England, so long as I apply via thier office, they see no reason why I would not recieve the non-immigrant 'O' visa. Thanks for the info!! :-)

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't want to start a new thread in case it was considered spamming, which this post is not intended to be.

I've noticed that the "enormous shakeup of visa and Immigration rules" hasn't dampened the enthusiasim of at least one well known visa run service in Pattaya....Witherspoons on Soi Buakhao.

They are advertising on local TV that they offer 6 month visa run package deals that include one run to Malaysia (Penang I presume) for a single entry tourist visa followed by 3 Cambodian border runs, for the all inclusive price of 18,000 baht. I doubt they're including the price of an extention at the Immigration office.

Some people are still very confident that full-time tourist visa residence will be possible despite the new policies.

I didn't want to start a new thread in case it was considered spamming, which this post is not intended to be.

I've noticed that the "enormous shakeup of visa and Immigration rules" hasn't dampened the enthusiasim of at least one well known visa run service in Pattaya....Witherspoons on Soi Buakhao.

They are advertising on local TV that they offer 6 month visa run package deals that include one run to Malaysia (Penang I presume) for a single entry tourist visa followed by 3 Cambodian border runs, for the all inclusive price of 18,000 baht. I doubt they're including the price of an extention at the Immigration office.

Some people are still very confident that full-time tourist visa residence will be possible despite the new policies.

I have to wonder how these companies , including Jack's new Tourist Visa offer can guarantee a Tourist Visa?

Visa can not be purchased.

Expect some trouble .

A friend just arrived from Canada with 2 x 60 days visa

So what happens - Can he use one 60 days and then get another 30 days extension

X 2 = 180 days

?????

i thought it was 90 days in and 90 days out with no more than 180 days in within a 12 month period

ie only 6 months in out of 12 months

This was issued in Canada

I have to wonder how these companies , including Jack's new Tourist Visa offer can guarantee a Tourist Visa?

Visa can not be purchased.

Expect some trouble .

I'm not sure if they have money-back guarantees or not. They're taking money for visa runs 3 to 5 months in advance.

Maybe they're just bluffing and looking to make some quick bucks, or maybe they have contacts and information we don't. We won't know for at least another 6 months.

I'm not sure if they have money-back guarantees or not. They're taking money for visa runs 3 to 5 months in advance.

Maybe they're just bluffing and looking to make some quick bucks, or maybe they have contacts and information we don't. We won't know for at least another 6 months.

IMHO it would pay to be very careful!

In the current climate, these organisations might have inside info and be genuine, equally they might be thinking "Well we're going to go out of business soon so let's cream all we can out of the mugs now!"

Please note that I emphasise the might because I DO NOT KNOW and I do not wish to libel honest businesses. This is one of those times when I sincerely hope my cynicism is completly without foundation.

All I would add is "Caveat Emptor"

X 2 = 180 days

?????

i thought it was 90 days in and 90 days out with no more than 180 days in within a 12 month period

ie only 6 months in out of 12 months

This was issued in Canada

This is an excellent example (one of many) why this new visa system simply will not stick, if you can't get farang to understand it (after 43 pages of explanation) then how do you expect a thai with a sub 90 IQ to understand it!

Truly though, unless a formal system (for the airlines to reconcile passenger manifest) is implemented, then this thing will NEVER be truly enforced. Unless they simply enforce it at border crosssings. The bones tell me this will go by the wayside.

This is an excellent example (one of many) why this new visa system simply will not stick, if you can't get farang to understand it (after 43 pages of explanation) then how do you expect a thai with a sub 90 IQ to understand it!

Does your Thai girlfriend know you have such a high opinion of her fellow countrymen?

In the current climate, these organisations might have inside info and be genuine, equally they might be thinking "Well we're going to go out of business soon so let's cream all we can out of the mugs now!"

All I would add is "Caveat Emptor"

Personally I believe , that , currently , no one has insight knowledge of what is really going on.

Making a comment like this, I would think that 90 is a level you could only (vainly) aspire to reach Mr chickin.

jack

chickin may be referring to Thai news reports from Thai govt. officials who admit that the average Thai IQ measures less than 90. His point has been overlooked: if we farang of varying IQ's can't understand this new set of rules after more than a thousand posts on ThaiVisa, how many intelligent Thai officials in the appropriate ministries understand it? Quite possibly none.

sometimes farangs try to understand to much

then they try to cross reference with the information at hand

then 9 times out of 10 its a cluster <deleted>

I'm into my 6th straight year here and travelled here more than 20 years and still dont get it.

maybe alziemers will come early to me :o

then i wont give a tinkers cuss

ps on the Micky Mouse IQ website my IQ is 127

Edited by BlackJack

chickin may be referring to Thai news reports from Thai govt. officials who admit that the average Thai IQ measures less than 90. His point has been overlooked: if we farang of varying IQ's can't understand this new set of rules after more than a thousand posts on ThaiVisa, how many intelligent Thai officials in the appropriate ministries understand it? Quite possibly none.

Thanks Blondie. I did a quick google, and can only find references to the average IQ of Thai children being below 90.

Re-read what the chicken is saying - he is contrasting falangs and Thais, and the comment about the Thai IQ is quite gratuitous, and IMHO, racist.

I agree that the new regulations are hard to understand - but chicken's comment isn't!

jack

X 2 = 180 days

?????

BlackJack i think for your friend as he has a tourist visa, the rules do not apply to him yet ! until he finish his 2 visa , then he will be on the three maximum 30 days stay, unless he apply for a new tourist visa from wherever !

perhaps i am wrong

Rule is simple: max 90 days in any 180 day period on visa-free-arrival-stamps.

"Real" visas (obtained from embassy/consulates abroad) does not count towards the 90 days.

The 2 things that are not clear:

1. Will embassies/consulates continue to issue visas as "easy" as today even when passport already full of visa-free-arrival-stamps and tourist/other visas?

2. How will they enforce the new rules? (as not all borders are computerized/online/linked) (+ how will they punish offenders?).

Cheers!

Can anyone help with info on the best type of Visa that can be obtained from a Thai Consulate in Australia (Melbourne), which would give maximum flexibility over the next 12 months, while I get myself into position of qualifying for a Retirement Visa.

I am 60 and have a steady Thai girlfriend, will most likely get married eventually, but from advice on this forum feel that the retirement course is the best and most convenient way to go!

I have just obtained a new Australian Passport here, as the previous one had a lot of border runs, so on returning to Thailand next month will be starting "fresh" (if that's the best way of putting it)

I may stay 3 or 4 months on this next trip, but want to stay as "Ship-Shape" as possible as to Visa's.

Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks lopburi3:

So the non imm. O, is obtained here in Australia and extended into Retirement or Marriage type in Thailand, or have I got this the wrong way about?

I don't think we will be getting married until at least late next year 2007, so was thinking that the Retirement option was the better way to go initially! and doesn't have officials knocking on the door to check the marital couch etc. Not that I've got anything to hide, but just want the least hassles, if that's at all possible.

One further question; How many entry's does the multi-entry non imm. give you and over what period of time?

Sorry, if I'm a bit 'green' on this!

Can anyone help with info on the best type of Visa that can be obtained from a Thai Consulate in Australia (Melbourne), which would give maximum flexibility over the next 12 months, while I get myself into position of qualifying for a Retirement Visa.

I am 60 and have a steady Thai girlfriend, will most likely get married eventually, but from advice on this forum feel that the retirement course is the best and most convenient way to go!

I have just obtained a new Australian Passport here, as the previous one had a lot of border runs, so on returning to Thailand next month will be starting "fresh" (if that's the best way of putting it)

I may stay 3 or 4 months on this next trip, but want to stay as "Ship-Shape" as possible as to Visa's.

Thanks in anticipation.

suggest you live here for 12 months before you make major decisions

think about it

You're probably right. We've seen reports on here from various embassies around the world, and it would seem that they all have their own interpretation on the new regulations.

January will be an interesting month, particulary at the most favored Penang Embassy. We've already gleaned enough info to come to the conclusion that Phomn Phenh and Vientiane are starting to close their doors to issuing back-to-back TVs. I'm sure the queues at Penang are going to be long with all the monthly border runners looking for TVs. Will Malaysia stay TV friendly?

I heard some rumours today about some border posts refusing to give 30 day visa free entries and giving out 7 day stamps instead. Has anyone encountered this, or heard of anyone that has?

As British Consul in Pattaya, Barry Kenyon provides pension letters under the authority of the embassy.

The "large amount of dosh" is the standard fee of 1,763ht for which a receipt is issued. The evidence required in support of the letter is the same as required by the embassy; the advantage is that you do not need to trail up to BKK and queue up at the embassy.

Barry provides a great service to Brits in Pattaya, there is certainly no deviation from UK embassy rules when it comes to pension letters, and it does Barry a dis-service to imply otherwise.

I fully agree; it was my understanding that Barry has and continues to do a 'sterling' job.

Perhaps 'Bagwan' would like to explain as to why he clearly implied otherwise... ? :o

I made no such implication and you have made an incorrect assumption. I have no reason to suspect that Barry Kenyon is anything less than 100% kosher. Furthermore I am not so stupid as to attempt to finagle around Thai law, even the ones that appear to be made on the fly.

Thank you BlackJack:

That's more or less what I was intending to do, thus the query as to the best and most convenient visa to obtain here in Oz, which would allow me the option of spending as much time as possible, without running to the 'Friendship Bridge' or similar every month and filling my new passport with obvious border-runs.

As British Consul in Pattaya, Barry Kenyon provides pension letters under the authority of the embassy.

The "large amount of dosh" is the standard fee of 1,763ht for which a receipt is issued. The evidence required in support of the letter is the same as required by the embassy; the advantage is that you do not need to trail up to BKK and queue up at the embassy.

Barry provides a great service to Brits in Pattaya, there is certainly no deviation from UK embassy rules when it comes to pension letters, and it does Barry a dis-service to imply otherwise.

I fully agree; it was my understanding that Barry has and continues to do a 'sterling' job.

Perhaps 'Bagwan' would like to explain as to why he clearly implied otherwise... ? :o

I made no such implication and you have made an incorrect assumption. I have no reason to suspect that Barry Kenyon is anything less than 100% kosher. Furthermore I am not so stupid as to attempt to finagle around Thai law, even the ones that appear to be made on the fly.

Where does one contact Barry Kenyon to obtain such a letter? Does he have any sort of office or contact number in Pattaya?

ok. So now it's nearly December and I have to make my plans for January right away - my tourist visa days are up in the first week ! Where is the best place in the SE Asia region to obtain a non-Imm B visa with the least documentation ? And or where is the best place to go get my 2 month tourist visas ? SOunds like Penang will be crowded with people like me come January 2007. Is there a consulate in Vietnam, and what's the situation like there ?

Quote: Do the after 1st Oct entry stamps not look different and/or have been marked somehow with color/number(1,2,3...)/or the letter "Q"? This is what others have reported. Cheers!

I looked to see the recent arrival stamps, they do not look any diffrent. The only thing written on is the scribble of flight numbers, barely can read them anyways. And one of the 3 recent stamps besides the flight number, also the official wrote 30, i think it means 30 days visa. So I don't sense anything different yet.

Mine was marked with green felt tip, but no number 1.

Up at Mae Sai, in addition to the regualr visa stamping on the appropriate page, they're marking on the last page of my passport - really I think they're defacing it and they shouldn't do this, ie keep tabs via computer or elsewhere, if you're really going to enforce this, guys! Anyway.... so far they have written #1, and #2, both with the date and the signature of the guy that did the processing. That early Jan date is looming !!!