No booze sold today in Thailand as 'Wan Ok Phansa' goes dry

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alochol ban is under Department of Disease Control?

It's OK with me to have bans once in a while - I just stock up in advance. What is really weird though is the daily times where you are allowed to buy alcohol - do they really believe they can reduce alcohol consumption by banning sales between 14.00 and 17.00?

I also support this with banning the sale of alcohol close to schools, Monday morning I had 5 of my M.4 students puking outside the classroom thanks to hangover!

Goes to show prohibition increases irresponsible consumption by reducing the chances of open dialogue about moderate and meaningful sociable drinking.

Until the day they do away with the sanctimony shown in the picture, Thailand will not be ready to make progress.

Until the day they do away with the sanctimony shown in the picture all religions, Thailand the world will not be ready to make progress.

Move to Laos. Never have booze free days, the people would not accept it. Laos people have more get up and go than Thais. Thais just accept!

Thai people don't need to accept it.

I am absolutely certain that every single Thai alcohol drinker knows where to go to buy beer today.

I've bought beer today in a small local shop.

However, tourist don't know where to go and have no interest in searching out a place to get a drink. They're on holiday.

Friends of mine came to Thailand some years back. The first 2 days that they were here, they couldn't have a drink because of elections. They were extremely annoyed, have not returned to Thailand and have no intention to come again. Their words, "What do elections have to do with us?" and "What a stupid reason to ban alcohol".

I am sure that they are not the only people that will not holiday in Thailand again because of these stupid alcohol bans that really don't affect Thais.

Alochol ban is under Department of Disease Control?

It's OK with me to have bans once in a while - I just stock up in advance. What is really weird though is the daily times where you are allowed to buy alcohol - do they really believe they can reduce alcohol consumption by banning sales between 14.00 and 17.00?

Between 2-5 is because of the students getting out of school, but DUH! that's why you have ID cards, I know you can always fake an ID card, they do it all the time in the USA. When I first turned 18 back when, I got carded, showed my drivers license, the clerk said this isn't you, so I went to the store around the corner and got the beer.

Until the day they do away with the sanctimony shown in the picture, Thailand will not be ready to make progress.

This seems to be their business and not mine. If I don't like the way things are done here, I am certainly free to move on. I have no crystal ball to determine what the future holds, sanctimony or not.

Buddhist that force their believe on others with penalty of 6 month jail I think....hmmmmm

The same Buddhists would be extreme upset when pork would be banned or eating in the Ramadan.

What happens in Christian countries, such as the UK, if landlords of pubs open and sell grog on Good Friday? ...who would get upset then?

Would be nice if people got advanced warning, I found about this at noon today, so letting us know today is only a very non-Buddhist exercise in boosting one's religious pride and kidding oneself that there is no alcohol in Thailand available. It doesn't help to keep people informed.

How can I have a healthy and enjoyable evening meal for my guests if I cannot buy any wine? Easy enough to buy Leo beer or Whisky at the village shop, but the health benefits of these drinks are somewhat less than wine. In a sense, I am actually obligated to others to provide wine tonight, but I fail by not being able due to this busybody law that isn't followed or enforced particularly well anyway. There are myriad other scenarios that are plausible in which this law is just causing problems for people.

Governments throughout the World seem to want to control people's lives but yet on the important things like help for the poor or the middle class; making health care affordable and housing -they are complete failures. It;s not only Thailand- it is everywhere that governments think they know more than the people they are supposed to serve.

So even hotels are not allowed to sell alcohol today?

Why does this come under the Department of Disease Control?

Because religion is a virus that infects the mind and makes people think they have a kind (or murderous, it depends on the day) uncle sitting in Felix Baumgartner's balloon who gives a 'Shiite'.

In 16 years in Thailand never had a single day in Thailand when I couldnt buy a beer some ware and dont think the army boys will change that simply because Thais want to sell their beer its how they make their living and feed their families. The only place I have ever had a problem buying beer is in 7-11 because its the wrong time to buy beer.

I always have enough for a month!

It's a bit of an initial expense, but it's then just a matter of adding a case as needed, and rotating the stock, as it were.

Why a month?

Earthquakes, floods, decrees, yes, mainly, the decrees, just like this one.

I expect more as time passes.

Perhaps not even being allowed to drink it for a while, never mind buy it!

PS: I left lots of spaces so savvy expats could read between the lines.

Edited by dhream

I doubt if there is a city,town or village in Thailand where alcohol cannot be bought today.

Quite sad when people can't show a little bit of respect for the country they live in and even sadder when people can't go one day without alcohol

There's no law against drinking alcohol today; just selling it.

I always have enough for a month!

It's a bit of an initial expense, but it's then just a matter of adding a case as needed, and rotating the stock, as it were.

Why a month?

Earthquakes, floods, decrees, yes, mainly, the decrees, just like this one.

I expect more as time passes.

Perhaps not even being allowed to drink it for a while, never mind buy it!

PS: I left lots of spaces so savvy expats could read between the lines.

I agree, I think the time may be near, where that stockpile might come in handy. Even Mom & Pop stores will probably stop selling, & breweries stop producing sad.png