Best budget 10" tablet recommendations

edwinchester

Hi, as per the title. Not really into tablets so far and not at all knowledgeable as to what is available. Looking for a 10" screen and as much ram and storage as possible. Has to be Android and whilst a SIM would be nice it is not essential. Will be used for basic surfing and occasional KODI TV, NOT gaming.

Budget is 10k bht max and recommendations are most welcome.

Thanks for reading, Ed.

I know you asked about a 10 inch tablet, but I just bought a Lenovo 8 inch tablet (Wifi/3G/Voice) Model A8-50 (A5500HV) at Big C the other day for Bt3,990. I bought it because my Chinese 10 inch tablet developed a major touchscreen problem at almost 3 years into its life.

The Lenovo comes with a Quad Core 1.3Ghz CPU, 1GB RAM, 16GB internal storage and accepts up to a 32GB micro SD card. It has a very nice/clear/bright 1280x800 IPS screen. It has a 5MP rear camera and 2MP front camera. It only comes with Jelly Bean 4.2 but as soon as you turn it only and do a Software Update check it updates to KitKat 4.4. I do not think it will see a upgrade to Lollipop 5.0 based on my review of the Lenovo support website...upgrading to Lollipop is no big deal in my book.

When this tablet originally came out around Apr 14 its retail price was Bt7,990...so it basically 50% off now. Got two front speakers with a Dolby system and puts out great volume. Plus you can even change the internal 4200ma battery with very little disassembly...remove one screw and then pop the back cover off with your finger nails pretty much like removing the back cover off a smartphone, unclip the battery connector, insert the new battery--most tablets require some serious disassembly to change the battery and usually must be done in a shop. It's on sale at other locations for approx the 50% off price also.

So far I be a happy camper after using it going into my second day of owning it. I really only use it with Wifi inside the house to do browsing, emailing, youtubing, use a couple of special apps, etc.

As above this is only 8'' but if it's available the Tesco Hudl2 takes some beating. No sim card but 2gb ram, Intel Atom quad core 1.82ghz, 16gb storage with microsd up to 32gb. Screens full HD 1920x1200. R/camera 5mp, F/camera 1.2mp plus HDMI port. Mine came with kit-kat but has now upgraded to Lollipop 5.1. It's now discontinued in the UK (god knows why) but if you can get your hands on one, it's a cracker.

Thanks very much for the thoughts so far. It really needs to be 10"......that little extra makes a big difference smile.png

Not according to my wife.

She,s playing you along nev-the extra ram I,m lucky to have is allways much appreciated gigglem.gif

Can't you stretch the budget a bit. Something like the fantastic Samsung Tab S 10.5 can be bought for 16,000 baht. If you keep it for 3-4 years it's only another 4 baht a day.

Last year's S model may be hard to find in stores...they may even have a display model out but still not have any in stock. But they will have plenty of this year's models the S2 9.7inch for around Bt18.9K. You do see S models occasionally online...and I'm talking Thai online sites...I'm assuming the OP is going to buy within Thailand (maybe a be bad assumption).

While looking for my new tablet over the last few weeks before buying the 8 inch Lenovo I talked about above I visited a lot of IT stores in western Bangkok to included large malls, ITCity, PowerBuy, Samsung outlets, etc...etc....etc....I visited the the stores over and over to play with their tablets and check prices. One Samsung store had a S model on display but didn't have any in stock...the store rep said they only get in a few now and then (and haven't got any in over a month)...and of course had plenty of S2 models. When I asked why even have the S model on display if you don't have any and have a low chance of getting any now since they were last year's model, the rep just said "I don't know." But the rep and I agreed on one thing that many people will say last year's S model is better than this year's S2 model....like a higher resolution and bigger display....but when it comes to horsepower and some other hardware specs the S2 clearly has the S model beat. Some reviews have even referred to this model S2 a downgrade in many respects to this year's S2 model. Personally, I would prefer to have the S model due to the larger/little higher resolution display and it would cost a little less than the S2 if you can find an S in a store somewhere or an online store you feel comfortable ordering from.

Also, looked at the Samsung Tab A 9.7 and 8.0 models quite a bit...they are only 1024 X 768 resolution displays but judging a display only based on resolution specs is a bad way to judge. The display on a Tab A for clarity and color is awesome...and when comparing a Tab A display next to a S2 display it's hard to see any difference. Samsung does indeed have very good displays now days. The Samsung Tab A 9.7 inch is now going for Bt12.9K after a recent price drop from Bt14.9K. Comes with 2GB RAM, 16GB internal storage, 5MP, 2MP cameras, Wifi/3G/4G LTE, Lollipop, etc.

A person does seem to pay a premium for the Samsung brand, but much less premium than on an Apple. But with all this being said, In My Opinion I just wouldn't want to pay over Bt10K for a tablet based "on how I use a tablet," the fact that many tablets with only a 1024x768 display still look very good, and I just don't want to put a bunch of money into a device I don't use much during any 24 hour period, I may drop & break it, changing the battery in approx 2 years is hard to do/requires a shop visit, and how better and cheaper models are constantly being released which can give a person some buying dissatisfaction (i.e., durn, just bought this tablet last month and now several newer, better and cheaper model have just came out).

Edited by Pib

Worth consideration: http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_263613.html?utm_source=mail_api&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=special.1029&email=b2t8ZGFqZXIxNTJAZ21haWwuY29tfDQwMzQ=

TECLAST tablets have had some good write-ups on this forum. The ability to run both Android and Win-10 o/s is a bonus.

Though I have no personal experience with Teclast, I have ordered 2 separate devices from "Dealsmachine" and never a problem though you probably would have to pay duty. If you shop around, you might find one from a Thai online supplier.

Yes i want to find a tablet with à micro USB port

You might also want to checkout the Lenovo "SHAREit" app available for Windows, Android, and IOS. It's super, super simple to use and transfer files via a Wifi connection which is a very fast transfer (example: a wifi connection between your tablet and your computer). Awesome little app IMO. I use it quite often to transfer files back and forth between my Lenovo computer and Samsung devices...and now I use it with my Lenovo tablet also. As far as I know the app can be used on any manufacturers computer/tablet/etc....not limited to just Lenovo hardware.

to SHAREit app info: http://shareit.lenovo.com/

Also, here's the link to the Lenovo 8 inch A5500 Maintenance Manual which gives specs, pictures, how to disassemble, how to change battery, part numbers, etc.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_a5500_hmm_en_20140221.pdf

Picture of controls/ports/etc

post-55970-0-76924200-1446451079_thumb.j

I've seen some passengers on Budget airlines use their own Tablets to watch movies.

Yes, and I'm one of them, though not on local budget flights, you will be landing before the movie finishes. I watch mine on long haul flights.

Yes i want to find a tablet with à micro USB port

You might also want to checkout the Lenovo "SHAREit" app available for Windows, Android, and IOS. It's super, super simple to use and transfer files via a Wifi connection which is a very fast transfer (example: a wifi connection between your tablet and your computer). Awesome little app IMO. I use it quite often to transfer files back and forth between my Lenovo computer and Samsung devices...and now I use it with my Lenovo tablet also. As far as I know the app can be used on any manufacturers computer/tablet/etc....not limited to just Lenovo hardware.

to SHAREit app info: http://shareit.lenovo.com/

Also, here's the link to the Lenovo 8 inch A5500 Maintenance Manual which gives specs, pictures, how to disassemble, how to change battery, part numbers, etc.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_a5500_hmm_en_20140221.pdf

Picture of controls/ports/etc

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

thanks à lot ! Very useful informations

I've seen some passengers on Budget airlines use their own Tablets to watch movies.

Yes, and I'm one of them, though not on local budget flights, you will be landing before the movie finishes. I watch mine on long haul flights.

Short haul is any flight under 3 hours.

Medium haul is 3 - 6 Hours.

Long haul 6-12 hours.

Ultra long haul over 12 hours.

According to this source.

So on a 1 hour short haul flight, no, you wouldn't be able to squeeze in a movie of standard length, which I believe is around 1 hr 30 minutes. Some movies are of course longer in duration. So, its probably a bad idea to start watching lord of the rings, return of the king on any short haul flight.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Long haul 6-12 hours.

So on a 1 hour short haul flight, no, you wouldn't be able to squeeze in a movie of standard length, which I believe is around 1 hr 30 minutes. Some movies are of course longer in duration. So, its probably a bad idea to start watching lord of the rings, return of the king on any short haul flight.

20 minute TV episodes. Or load the Kindle app.

Come one boys, it's not rocket science.

tongue.png

If you use your tablet as a phone (with SIM), how do you carry it around everywhere?.

I've come across this product, and this product online. Does anyone use them or similar when travelling on public transport or car, van, motorbike. If you carry a handbag (if you are a woman...or indeed if you are a man and you carry a handbag, whatever rocks your boat) then its easier. But if you put your tablet in a briefcase or rucksack its not very practical to whip out, when you want to use it. Please keep all answers clean.

Sorry OP don't mean to hijack your thread.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Long haul 6-12 hours.

So on a 1 hour short haul flight, no, you wouldn't be able to squeeze in a movie of standard length, which I believe is around 1 hr 30 minutes. Some movies are of course longer in duration. So, its probably a bad idea to start

watching lord of the rings, return of the king on any short haul flight.

The op is asking about buying a 10 inch tablet, not blinking short/long haul flights an watching Popeye or Cinderella

movies.

Keep it on topic. U can talk about ur dreams an fantasies on ur local bar stool in soi Burkaew or where ever ur holed up.

Edited by Sooo Upto Me

Soooo UpToMe. What's wrong with you greetin face, get out of bed on the wrong side today?

Do you think all expats sit on barstools all day? I happen to be a non drinker, so before you make stupid comments.

just think first, now run along.

I totally agree with vogie the Samsung Tab S is 10.5 inch screen and is Full HD. It can go up to 128mb using an external micro sim + the 16gb internal. I had one but i lost it. It should be a lot cheaper now as the Samsung Tab S2 is now out in Samsung shop. The tab s in the UK when first out cost £399 from Amazon.co.uk try and find a 2nd hand one should be possible for 10k or 16k if u can find the extra. To me it was atleast as good if not better to use than Apple ipad. You can buy sim free unlocked but I bought my one just to use mainly for emails, Surfing web using wifi (free) & it has a very good display and has split screens for easy multi-tasking. Unfortunately i do not know why but Samsung and google decided not to repeat the 10.5" screen on the new Tab S2 it is an 8" screen sadly. Happy hunting. Yes it is Android.