Buying a Ford Ranger Wildtrack pickup

Najinsky

I'm about to buy a Wildtrack, but thought I'd ask if anyone here has horror stories that might make me change my mind.

I'm interested in reliability in the Thailand environment, heat, bad road, ants, floods, etc. And also in any issues getting them fixed if things do go wrong.

I've been around various show rooms and the Wildtrack appeals the most. I've watched many in-depth reviews and comparisons on YouTube and the Ford always seems to put up a good showing against the competition, coming top or near top in most comparisons I saw. But they focus on performance and features, rather than reliability and servicing in Thailand, so that's the part of the puzzle I feel I'm missing.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Andy

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the baby WT a few weeks ago and love it. There are a few things to check/be aware of.

1. Upon delivery check the quality of the paint. It's not always 100%.

2. No satnav here (yet)

3. Thai characters don't work on the phone book so the missus might be a bit miffed.

Otherwise, it's a cracking truck and easily the best choice if you're looking for a 'Lifestyle' truck.

I have a PDF of the English Owners Manual for the Thai/Malaysian/Philippines spec cars if anyone can't wait for a hardcopy from Ford.

Moved to the Motoring Forum

I guess you feel that's the right thing to do, but the frustrating thing for me is I already looked for a motoring forum and saw no sign of one.

Perhaps the web site and mobile app are not in sync with each other?

Here's how I looked for it:

First I browse the topics:

post-227617-14464695542095_thumb.jpg

Nothing in there about motoring, so I think may it's in community:

post-227617-14464699105113_thumb.jpg

Nope, not there, so I browse General:

post-227617-14464695008121_thumb.jpg

post-227617-14464696000949_thumb.jpg

Nope, not there either, so I post to the general topic.

As far as I can see in the App, there is no motoring forum.

Edited by Najinsky

Ford Rangers

Once you overcome the sales staffs' collective inability to 'upsell' get it to a custom shop and fit the replacement center dash console with the all singing all dancing satnav/voice command/ etc etc one

;)

Najinsky,

Have a look in the "Business in Thailand, Jobs in Thailand" section.

The Motoring Forum should be under that heading.

And the logical place to find it, where else would you expect to find the motoring forum other than under Business and Jobs. DELETED

I nearly bought a Ford Ranger WT 2 years ago because it was by far the best looking pick up with good performance at that time. However I was turned off by the long waiting time for delivery. Back then it was at least 8 months and you know how quickly that turns into more here. Also the Sales staff wouldn't give any freebies obviously due to high demand. Later I bought a Toyota Fortuner and in hindsight I'm happy I've chosen a brand with high reliability and and one you can go any shop everywhere here in Thailand to get fixed. So for pick ups I really would choose either a Toyota or Isuzu if I were you. More reliable, easier and cheaper to get something fixed/replaced, better resale value.

The 2.2 got a fair review in the other newspaper recently. It was pointed out that the 2.2 would be adequate for most purposes. If you don't need 4wd and a 3.2 the 2.2 2wd represents good value (performance is adequate for most situations). I've never had to deal with a ford dealership though, so I won't comment on that.

There was one poster here about 2-3 months ago who had a Wildtrak in the service bay. The circumstances were never clear, and we never did hear about the outcome, because the poster left as quickly as he arrived :(

Ford scored 849/1000 on the latest JD Power Customer Service Index: http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2015-thailand-customer-service-index-csi-study

Which while 2nd to last of the mass manufacturers in 2015, would have been good enough for a close 2nd place in 2014: http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-thailand-customer-service-index-csi-study

i.e. A Ford customer in 2015 is as/more satisfied with Ford service as any other brand's customers were in 2014. So it's fair to say that service levels are improving quickly, but also that they're improving across the board. Ford are doing pretty well here when you consider there's other brands with almost 3 times more dealerships to choose from.

I hope that's helped. Now brace yourself for the mindless FORD backronyms :P

Ford Rangers

Once you overcome the sales staffs' collective inability to 'upsell' get it to a custom shop and fit the replacement center dash console with the all singing all dancing satnav/voice command/ etc etc one

wink.png

Thats a stupid idea.

The sync 2 system works too well to just throw it away and install a yumcha all in one unit.

If Sat Nav is a must have either use the phone that is in your pocket or buy a standalone unit and stick it onto the windscreen on those rare occasions you will use it.

Where are you located?

Might be valid as the reputation of the local Service Centre is important.

My area, they do the job but keeping you waiting many hours is of no consequence whatsoever.

Edited by jacko45k

I nearly bought a Ford Ranger WT 2 years ago because it was by far the best looking pick up with good performance at that time. However I was turned off by the long waiting time for delivery. Back then it was at least 8 months and you know how quickly that turns into more here. Also the Sales staff wouldn't give any freebies obviously due to high demand. Later I bought a Toyota Fortuner and in hindsight I'm happy I've chosen a brand with high reliability and and one you can go any shop everywhere here in Thailand to get fixed. So for pick ups I really would choose either a Toyota or Isuzu if I were you. More reliable, easier and cheaper to get something fixed/replaced, better resale value.

Was that perhaps caused by the rebate offered to Thais first time buyers? Or closure of the Oz manufacturing plant?

I think demand has subsided as I have started getting promotional SMSs from them again.

Edited by jacko45k

There was one poster here about 2-3 months ago who had a Wildtrak in the service bay. The circumstances were never clear, and we never did hear about the outcome, because the poster left as quickly as he arrived :(

Ford scored 849/1000 on the latest JD Power Customer Service Index: http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2015-thailand-customer-service-index-csi-study

Which while 2nd to last of the mass manufacturers in 2015, would have been good enough for a close 2nd place in 2014: http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-thailand-customer-service-index-csi-study

i.e. A Ford customer in 2015 is as/more satisfied with Ford service as any other brand's customers were in 2014. So it's fair to say that service levels are improving quickly, but also that they're improving across the board. Ford are doing pretty well here when you consider there's other brands with almost 3 times more dealerships to choose from.

I hope that's helped. Now brace yourself for the mindless FORD backronyms :P

. We will listen to Your Verdict. Cause You don't bullshit up something because you bought it. I love. Ford Value ,but put off here by reports,and no big Cars on offer

Was that perhaps caused by the rebate offered to Thais first time buyers? Or closure of the Oz manufacturing plant?

I think demand has subsided as I have started getting promotional SMSs from them again.

Ford TH have never really done a great job of delivering new model launches quickly. The 2011 Ranger release being the worst one yet - especially if you were ordering a version with the 3,2L engine.

All of the reasons behind this never did surface, but it's fair to assume that a lack of capacity in their South African engine manufacturing plant, and export demand for the Australian market (where the 3.2L is by far the volume seller) were key contributors to domestic delivery delays.

Now it's happening again with the Everest, but not yet to the same degree as the original 2011 Ranger. That said, I'm not hearing reports of long waits for the updated 2015 Ranger.

I have one, the 3.2L Wildtrak. I took delivery of mine in May 2013, after waiting a mere six months in the queue. It was worth the wait.

It pulls like a train, it's got some serious grunt. The 5-cylinder diesel sounds throaty when you push it a little, and with all that torque it's happy accelerating at any speed, no matter what you have in the back.

The Ford sales people were pretty useless, but you always do the research up-front before stepping into the showroom anyway, so all you need them for is to do the actual sale. Their service department is so-so at best. They don't seem to care about anything, but that's not an attitude I have found is unique to car service people, here.

I have also driven the 2.2L manual version, and actually preferred the manual box to the auto (but I learned to drive in the UK where most cars have manual transmission, and I miss it here where everything seems to be auto), and the 2.2L engine is not as strong as the 3.2L one (I guess that makes sense) but drinks quite a lot less fuel! The 3.2L engine is on the thirsty side.

If you need a truck, and have to spend a lot of time in it, this is the one to get. It's comfortable, and has a more car-like interior and ride. The entertainment system is OK, and wins for me because the Bluetooth system is fantastic. I listen to music or podcasts on my phone for long drives, and it works flawlessly. Get the four-door version if you will ever need to have more than two people in the cab, as it's pretty cramped on the rear bench if you don't.

Recommended.

I have one, the 3.2L Wildtrak. I took delivery of mine in May 2013, after waiting a mere six months in the queue. It was worth the wait.

It pulls like a train, it's got some serious grunt. The 5-cylinder diesel sounds throaty when you push it a little, and with all that torque it's happy accelerating at any speed, no matter what you have in the back.

The Ford sales people were pretty useless, but you always do the research up-front before stepping into the showroom anyway, so all you need them for is to do the actual sale. Their service department is so-so at best. They don't seem to care about anything, but that's not an attitude I have found is unique to car service people, here.

I have also driven the 2.2L manual version, and actually preferred the manual box to the auto (but I learned to drive in the UK where most cars have manual transmission, and I miss it here where everything seems to be auto), and the 2.2L engine is not as strong as the 3.2L one (I guess that makes sense) but drinks quite a lot less fuel! The 3.2L engine is on the thirsty side.

If you need a truck, and have to spend a lot of time in it, this is the one to get. It's comfortable, and has a more car-like interior and ride. The entertainment system is OK, and wins for me because the Bluetooth system is fantastic. I listen to music or podcasts on my phone for long drives, and it works flawlessly. Get the four-door version if you will ever need to have more than two people in the cab, as it's pretty cramped on the rear bench if you don't.

Recommended.

It's worth noting that the new model has several improvements over the original version released in 2011, that are not just styling:

* New turbo and EGR system = much more responsive engine, and (claimed) 16% better FE.

* Electric power steering, which really does make it feel much more like a car to drive, and probably contributes to the FE savings too

* The SYNC2 infotainment system with 8" screen in the Wildtrak models is a big improvement over the SYNC1 / 4" screen system in lower/older models.

* Ride quality and AT shift programming have both been improved over the previous generation

* New injectors and improved sound deadening make it noticeably quieter inside and out than the previous model

I bought the baby WT a few weeks ago and love it. There are a few things to check/be aware of.

1. Upon delivery check the quality of the paint. It's not always 100%.

2. No satnav here (yet)

3. Thai characters don't work on the phone book so the missus might be a bit miffed.

Otherwise, it's a cracking truck and easily the best choice if you're looking for a 'Lifestyle' truck.

I have a PDF of the English Owners Manual for the Thai/Malaysian/Philippines spec cars if anyone can't wait for a hardcopy from Ford.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll make a list of things to order/check on delivery based on what I've been reading. The Satnav situation surprises me, but doesn't bother me much as theres lots of options for the rare times i'll need to use it, although I suspect having the car will make me a default taxi driver for the extended family, so who knows maybe it will get more use than anticipated.

Where are you located?

Might be valid as the reputation of the local Service Centre is important.

My area, they do the job but keeping you waiting many hours is of no consequence whatsoever.

I'm in Surin, and seeing lots of Rangers/Wildtraks on the roads here.

Hopefully having a larger customer base will help the customer service side improve. Or maybe not!

Recommended.

It's worth noting that the new model has several improvements over the original version released in 2011, that are not just styling:

* New turbo and EGR system = much more responsive engine, and (claimed) 16% better FE.

* Electric power steering, which really does make it feel much more like a car to drive, and probably contributes to the FE savings too

* The SYNC2 infotainment system with 8" screen in the Wildtrak models is a big improvement over the SYNC1 / 4" screen system in lower/older models.

* Ride quality and AT shift programming have both been improved over the previous generation

* New injectors and improved sound deadening make it noticeably quieter inside and out than the previous model

Stop it - you'll make me want a new one!

The 2.2 got a fair review in the other newspaper recently. It was pointed out that the 2.2 would be adequate for most purposes. If you don't need 4wd and a 3.2 the 2.2 2wd represents good value (performance is adequate for most situations). I've never had to deal with a ford dealership though, so I won't comment on that.

Yes the choices between the 3.2 and 2.2, and 4wd v 2wd are still undecided.

I dont anticipate severe off-road use but not sure I want to rule it out either.

I do anticipate occasional towing (for example Jetski, Boat or Camping trailer) but I think the 2.2 probably has enough power.

Oddly, my main concern is whether the 3.2 has too much power for me. I haven't driven in almost 30 years. I've driven a Lexus RX300 in the UK a few times, and Vigo HiLux here in Thailand a few times, but other than that, I'm as rusty as hell and the thought of the power of the 3.2 is a little scary. I plan to do a lot of driving on the quieter roads on the outskirts of Surin to clear out the cobwebs before taking to the dual carriageways and then the highways and my head is telling me to go for the lower power 2.2, but then I think I might regret it in a couple of years when I'm more confident about handling the power.

Yes the choices between the 3.2 and 2.2, and 4wd v 2wd are still undecided.

I dont anticipate severe off-road use but not sure I want to rule it out either.

I do anticipate occasional towing (for example Jetski, Boat or Camping trailer) but I think the 2.2 probably has enough power.

Oddly, my main concern is whether the 3.2 has too much power for me. I haven't driven in almost 30 years. I've driven a Lexus RX300 in the UK a few times, and Vigo HiLux here in Thailand a few times, but other than that, I'm as rusty as hell and the thought of the power of the 3.2 is a little scary. I plan to do a lot of driving on the quieter roads on the outskirts of Surin to clear out the cobwebs before taking to the dual carriageways and then the highways and my head is telling me to go for the lower power 2.2, but then I think I might regret it in a couple of years when I'm more confident about handling the power.

So long as you can still control your right foot when sneezing, you'll be OK in the 3.2L, 555 tongue.png

Power delivery is smooth and progressive - it's not like you're going to get some jet liner rush of acceleration unexpectedly. That said, Surin is pretty flat - assuming you're not going to be driving around at max. gross vehicle mass all the time, you'll probably find it more than sufficient on the plains of Isaan.

If your other car is a Porsche, buy the 3.2L though :P

Edited by IMHO

I have the Everest, again no Satnav but I am hearing on another thread that it is a SE ASIA map issue with Ford and will be coming next year. My Everest is fitted for Satnav as it has a where am I button that will show Lat/Long so its just a matter of loading a map into the unit. Of course, trying to get this info confirmed by and manufacturer is almost impossible as no one wants to ask a question up the line.

I have the Everest, again no Satnav but I am hearing on another thread that it is a SE ASIA map issue with Ford and will be coming next year. My Everest is fitted for Satnav as it has a where am I button that will show Lat/Long so its just a matter of loading a map into the unit. Of course, trying to get this info confirmed by and manufacturer is almost impossible as no one wants to ask a question up the line.

There are two sets of rumors doing the rounds: first that Ford are to release a software update to enable GPS Navigation, the other that they're working with GPS Nav app vendors to integrate phone-based GPS Nav with SYNC2. None, one or both might be true though wink.png

That said, if you just absolutely must have GPS Nav on the touch screen, there are already 3rd party solutions available. They don't integrate with SYNC2 though - they literally take over the whole SYNC2 screen, and you have to flip back and forth between GPS and the regular infotainment screens. These 3rd party solutions usually also include DVB-T2 (digital free to air TV) so you can watch TV on the 8" screen, and some have DVD players too, if that floats your boat.

Edited by IMHO

Recommended.

Great information. Thanks.

With nearly all the specs I've so seen so far being in Thai, one of the ball-aching tasks is figuring out the new features and optionals, both for ordering purposes and checking the spec on delivery.

Im all for the latest FE and safety features but it does add to servicing/repair worries. With more to go wrong and more reliance on the skills of the local engineers.

Recommended.

Great information. Thanks.

With nearly all the specs I've so seen so far being in Thai, one of the ball-aching tasks is figuring out the new features and optionals, both for ordering purposes and checking the spec on delivery.

Im all for the latest FE and safety features but it does add to servicing/repair worries. With more to go wrong and more reliance on the skills of the local engineers.

I'm not so sure if your fears are well founded. Historically speaking, "Mark 2" (or 3/4) versions of a model generally just result in more reliability - not less - as the lessons have all been learned. Just look at the Vigo "Champ" generation and how less often it was in service bays than it's predecessors (no more failing injector seals, no more warped front brake discs, no more rear suspension coming loose etc).

Back in August we even did some community investigations to determine whether some of the common issues with the 2011 Ranger had been fixed - e.g. there was a hose on the original version that could chafe over a period of time - that hose has now been wrapped in techflex (along with several others). The only thing it seems they didn't change is the "scrap if dropped" sticker on the propellor shaft, that if comes loose causes a flapping sound.