Governor clamps down on Phuket airport taxis

webfact

Governor clamps down on airport taxis
Phuket Gazette

tax.jpeg
The driver was fined 1,000 baht and had his licence suspended for one month for failing to bring his passengers to their destination. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada has ordered all relevant officials to keep a stricter eye on airport taxi services after a customer complaint went viral on Saturday.

Montira Sakorn's Facebook post alleged that the taxi she hired from the airport to Patong failed to bring her and her boyfriend to their destination. Instead, it left them waiting at the taxi company's building in Thalang for an undisclosed amount of time.

The driver supposedly told them that he had to sign in at the company. However, when the taxi driver didn’t come back, Ms Montira called the police who instructed her to take photos of the licence plate number, get details of the taxi company and hire a tuk-tuk to get them to their destination, even though they had already paid for the taxi service.

Government officers took quick action after learning of the incident, holding a meeting with Santi Pawai, director of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MOTS) Phuket Office; Chanuchan Cholsuwat, the superintendent of the Thalang Police; and Jaturong Kaewkasi, the chief policy adviser from the Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO).

“It’s things like this that can ruin the reputation of Phuket,” Governor Chamroen said.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Governor-clamps-down-airport-taxis/62268?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-11-03

Its things like this that can ruin the reputation of Phuket, Governor Chamroen said.

It's too already ruined, years ago.

But it's good to see this report that action has been taken. 1,000 baht fine is small money, but the one month license suspension is appropriate, although I expect he will continue to drive a taxi during the suspension.

Reading the Phuketwan news report the driver was suspended for 6 months - typical poor news reporting.

Also Phuketwan puts more meat on the bone and reports that the taxi driver stopped at Infinity HQ to sell 'package tours'. Which we all know is a regular scam for inocent newbies here on holiday.

"Montira Sakorn's Facebook post alleged that the taxi she hired from the airport to Patong failed to bring her and her boyfriend to their destination." - there are hundreds, if not thousands of complaints by foreigners on Facebook, websites, forums, youtube etc etc.

Nothing is ever done.

Montira makes a phone call, and a facebook post, and the Phuket Governor orders the driver be fined, with his licence suspended.

Montira must have some friends in high places. :)

Well I did my civic duty by conviencing 6 tourist here in CM against flying down to puket for 2 days and 1 night and

then flying to Bangkok for scheduled flight back to north america, to complete their holiday..

I gave them a few references to verify my tales of woe they would probably encounter and they decided to spend the time here and go to Bangkok a couple days early.

Hope the governor of Puket hears of my personal PR campaign for the ''Thai made'' cesspool that was once a pristine island has become. Then add the BIB reputation and past preformance as futher poo to add to the pit and you have a ''man made hell on

eath''

One post has been removed, this Forum Rule will answer your question:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

The reputation has already been ruined. Phuket along with Pattaya are 2 places that should be avoided if you don't want to get scammed every step you take. Everything that is wrong with Thailand can be found in these two dumps.

Actually taxis from the airport to Pattaya, scamming has little to do with the Pattaya resort.

And Pattaya itself has a very efficient and cheap songtaew service fixed at 10baht, something Phuket tourists would be very happy with.

There are meter taxis available that refuse to use the meter, but not many use these. Even a motorcycle taxi is reasonable if a little dangerous.

No need to leave out Bangkok where taxis scamming tourists is concerned either, in Pattaya, you don't need them.

I am traveling in and out of Phuket monthly, and have been doing so for a couple of years. I have yet to have any issue or problem with any taxi from the airport. It is arguably overpriced, but at least it's a fixed price and the same always. I live half the time in Phuket, and I NEVER warn anyone of coming here, because it can be a great place. I do warn against certain places and activites though, such as Bangla Rd, jet skis, riding a motorbike etc.

It is good to read that the taxi driver had his license suspended, but I wish his fine was much higher. This quick action by the police would not have happened before the coup. Things are much better now. The army is still checking all taxis leaving the airport and there have been very few reports about misbehavior of the airport taxis.

Edited by BestBitterPhuket