EPL TV Rights thailand 2016-19 Bein Sports

jjp

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I don't see any player in this piece who will actually care a jot about the end consumer I suspect that the negotiations will continue well into the season. The only card that True has is in a one seller/one buyer negotiation is to deny revenue to BeIn.

Probably one for the politicians if an when the customer hue and cry pushes it to that stage. Call for Mr Happiness squaddie!

Since I don't see any player in this piece who will actually care a jot about the end consumer I suspect that the negotiations will continue well into the season. The only card that True has is in a one seller/one buyer negotiation is to deny revenue to BeIn.

They're Arabs, they'd rather give it away to a competitor and screw True.

I'm fine with that, got no time for True, and the football has been OK on CTH (and yes I know I am in a minority with that opinion).

What a bloody shambles! Looks like we've all been led down the garden path into believing that Bein have been awarded the rights here when no such deal has, in fact, been struck.

Either the media sources referred to in this thread have been telling us porkies or they have been sadly misinformed.

And there appears to be no way of contacting the Premier League, unless I am missing something on their website, to find out what, if anything, will be going on as regards "official" satellite/cable coverage here after 13th August. They only appear to be interested if you wish to contact them about their bloody fantasy league!

No idea what I'm going to do. The village I live in is out of range for all the fast internet services, so getting one of the other TV deals here isn't an option.

+1

I'm fine with that, got no time for True, and the football has been OK on CTH (and yes I know I am in a minority with that opinion).

Definitely agree with your contrasting assessments of True and CTH. Anyway it looks as though CTH have as of today finally pulled the plug on the IMG channel on Stadium 6 in favour of bloody horse-jumping!

On a thread in IT & Computers (for some reason):

True in Chiang Mai yesterday told me that it's a done deal and the EPL will be shown on 4 channels available on the Gold package for 1568 baht.

I spoke to the Premier league press officer 3 years ago, when CTH were awarded the deal. One major stipulation is that the coverage of the rights holder in any region has to reach at least 90%. If not they will have broken contract. I asked this question as at the time CTH was cable only.

I will be astounded if TRUE don't show it. Obviously Bein don't have a platform here (yet). But they do have good relations with TRUE already for UCL.

I think the main stumbling block here could be surronding advertising revenue. TRUE may well want to organise their own sponsors, where Bein sports may not allow that. Bein also were looking for 50mil profit on the sub-licence, which is why CTH pulled out.

It could well be that TRUE only sign up a one year sub-licence, perhaps while Bein investigate getting on a satellite platform in SEA (Just my guess though). The deal also covers Cambodia and Laos. Could Bein buy out CTH?

For most there are other options via internet. But i for one would prefer a decent satellite deal. Nothing is worse watching the footy and there is an outage because of rain (Via astro with 365sport) or I like HD buffers. Both companies are good, but a satellite EPL package is better.

^But i for one would prefer a decent satellite deal. Nothing is worse watching the footy and there is an outage because of rain....satellite EPL package is better.

Not sure what you mean. I watched EPL via Truevisions satellite dish and suffered rain outages regularly. I watched EPL via CTH satellite dish and suffered rain outages regularly but not as bad as via Truevisions. .

Yes we can only hope that we are not stuck with True Vision especially at their prices.

And not for a particularly great service either if their performance during the 2010-2013 agreement is anything to go by.

I am, however, not at all optimistic sad.png

Be that as it may it's now only 6 weeks to the start of the new season as at today. So something really does now need to be sorted out ASAP.

I spoke to the Premier league press officer 3 years ago, when CTH were awarded the deal. One major stipulation is that the coverage of the rights holder in any region has to reach at least 90%. If not they will have broken contract. I asked this question as at the time CTH was cable only.

I will be astounded if TRUE don't show it. Obviously Bein don't have a platform here (yet). But they do have good relations with TRUE already for UCL.

I think the main stumbling block here could be surronding advertising revenue. TRUE may well want to organise their own sponsors, where Bein sports may not allow that. Bein also were looking for 50mil profit on the sub-licence, which is why CTH pulled out.

It could well be that TRUE only sign up a one year sub-licence, perhaps while Bein investigate getting on a satellite platform in SEA (Just my guess though). The deal also covers Cambodia and Laos. Could Bein buy out CTH?

For most there are other options via internet. But i for one would prefer a decent satellite deal. Nothing is worse watching the footy and there is an outage because of rain (Via astro with 365sport) or I like HD buffers. Both companies are good, but a satellite EPL package is better.

I thought CTH had just chopped off half their subscribers by shutting down one of the satellite contracts it has. Doesn't look like it's well set up to be an acquisition target for anybody, let alone BeIn which does not seek to be a global satellite provider. Holding franchises for sports transmissions and selling them off at a profit to transmission companies is their business model (I may be wrong, but that's my understanding - maybe they are a transmission company in the Middle East as well).

Think that Thailand is going to let an SEA-wide transmission company extend its reach into Thailand (if it is not owned by one of the Thai great and the good)? Not going to happen I think.

Another poster reckons we get the Premier League on Gold for 1,568 baht. The existing Gold package is about 1,450 so I shall be surprised and delighted if that is borne out.

Keeps us guessing. Nothing is featuring in the Bangkok press so I doubt that the solution is imminently breaking news, but who knows .. TIT.

I thought CTH had just chopped off half their subscribers by shutting down one of the satellite contracts it has. Doesn't look like it's well set up to be an acquisition target for anybody, let alone BeIn which does not seek to be a global satellite provider. Holding franchises for sports transmissions and selling them off at a profit to transmission companies is their business model (I may be wrong, but that's my understanding - maybe they are a transmission company in the Middle East as well).

Think that Thailand is going to let an SEA-wide transmission company extend its reach into Thailand (if it is not owned by one of the Thai great and the good)? Not going to happen I think.

Hmm, I just wonder whether the acquisition of CTH might actually have its attractions to BeIn if they are after a short-term fix for getting a foothold into the Thai satellite/cable market? By all accounts CTH look doomed in the longer term in any case!

Hmm, I just wonder whether the acquisition of CTH might actually have its attractions to BeIn if they are after a short-term fix for getting a foothold into the Thai satellite/cable market? By all accounts CTH look doomed in the longer term in any case!

I hope you're right - my missus will kill me if we have yet another satellite dish on the house ! biggrin.png

The latest I've heard from a Thai friend with good media contacts, is that the whole contract for Bein Sports through Truevisons expires end of this month, even though Bein still have one more season for the rights in Thailand. TRUE are in negotiations but early stages. I can see this being a last minute job at this rate... TIT On the plus side, if TRUE do show it, they are pretty quick at installing systems, unlike CTH charlatans!

I hope you're right - my missus will kill me if we have yet another satellite dish on the house ! biggrin.png

Unfortunately it now looks like I'm wrong. There are 2 reports on the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/925121-cth-terminating-ku-service/ (including one from myself) of CTH having now issued final bills to satellite subscribers covering the period up to 31st July after which they will go dark forever on our TV screens.

So it looks like the likes of you and me will now be stuck with True whether we like them or not - and in the absence of any cast-iron guarantee that they will be showing EPL games from next season in any event (I have yet to see any official announcement of this).sad.png

On the other hand, your wife will, of course, be relieved that you won't now need to have a further satellite dish installed!biggrin.png

This is the rather cryptic response I just got from True regarding the EPL and any sub-licensing agreement......

>Dear Subscribers, effective August 6th 00.01 hr. (midnight of Aug 5th), the BeIn Sport 1 channel will end broadcast in Sports Family HD, Super Family HD, Gold HD and Platinum HD packages as the rights to provide the channel in its current format has ended. True Visions is committed to providing the best sports for our subscribers and we apologize for any inconvenience

It appears that True's arrangement with Bein is changing immediately before the start of the new season. However, in what way it is changing, I do not know.

This is the rather cryptic response I just got from True regarding the EPL and any sub-licensing agreement......

>Dear Subscribers, effective August 6th 00.01 hr. (midnight of Aug 5th), the BeIn Sport 1 channel will end broadcast in Sports Family HD, Super Family HD, Gold HD and Platinum HD packages as the rights to provide the channel in its current format has ended. True Visions is committed to providing the best sports for our subscribers and we apologize for any inconvenience

It appears that True's arrangement with Bein is changing immediately before the start of the new season. However, in what way it is changing, I do not know.

I had a Truevisions engineer over to replace my remote control. His English was quite good and he seemed to think "Premier League on True next season". Of course, he might well have been just telling me what I wanted to hear!

As I recall from earlier in this thread it's BeIn's Sport channel 11 that's their main one for EPL coverage. So we wait and see.

"True Visions is committed to providing the best sports for our subscribers and we apologize for any inconvenience"

I don't know whether the position has changed in the 3 years since we "defected" to CTH, but Truevision's idea of "providing the best sports" for their subscribers at that time meant extensive coverage of basketball, basketball and, guess what, yet more bloody basketball!cheesy.gif

I had a Truevisions engineer over to replace my remote control. His English was quite good and he seemed to think "Premier League on True next season". Of course, he might well have been just telling me what I wanted to hear!

Plenty of rumours (including from our independent satellite TV installer) circulating to this effect, but some official announcement is still awaited, of course.

^^ re your lambast of True Visions as a sports broadcaster in Thailand OJAS .... I don't recall it being that limited at all. I'm sure they were showing loads of golf, loads of tennis (both boring I would agree!) and the Setanta rugby channel when CTH took over the English Premier League. I think they also had NFL (American football) and in terms of the round ball game they had (or acquired shortly thereafter) at least one/ I think 2 of the other major European leagues and the UEFA Champions League - the latter might have been a year later, don't recall exactly. And yes., basketball (and ice hockey?).

CTH on the other hand had very little sport apart from the English Premier League. So, True Visions was not much cop if you only wanted to watch the Premier League, but as a standalone critique of True Visions sports programming in general I think you are being hopelessly biasedsmile.png as expats here seemingly are whenever it comes to this broadcaster for reasons I have never fully understood, unless it is linked with a poor service experience of some (that I have never been subjected to) or an expectation that we should be getting stuff on the super-cheap.

I continued to pay for their Gold package in Summer 2013 in addition to taking up CTH precisely because there was sports stuff on there I wanted to watch.

Maybe it's timely to issue a reminder of how lucky we have been with our EPL coverage here in Thailand. In the UK it costs not far short of 100 quid (4,500 baht) a month to subscribe to Sky and BT so that you can watch about 4 or 5 live games of their choosing each week.

I hooked up with a combination of Expat TV and 365 Sport a while ago.I don't think there is one sporting event that hasn't been covered plus BBC,ABC CNN,

ITV etc, etc 1200 baht a month or 600 b each and if you are away for a period of time no need to pay.Slight discount if you sign up and pay for longer

Maybe it's timely to issue a reminder of how lucky we have been with our EPL coverage here in Thailand. In the UK it costs not far short of 100 quid (4,500 baht) a month to subscribe to Sky and BT so that you can watch about 4 or 5 live games of their choosing each week.

So it does but with ever improving internet in the UK it's becoming increasingly easier to watch the match of your choice for the price of an android box and an Internet connection.

Funnily enough a lot of the games I watched at the end of the season we're coming from CTH which is priceless for me as they tried to tuck me up in Thailand.

Those who laugh last laugh loudest.

And to be fair to Sky there coverage isn't limited to football if your a sports fan per se it's the only way to watch it now unfortunately in the UK but as I mentioned in that last post,I get all Sky sports and BT on my android box for the ridiculous price of nothing.

I hooked up with a combination of Expat TV and 365 Sport a while ago.I don't think there is one sporting event that hasn't been covered plus BBC,ABC CNN,

ITV etc, etc 1200 baht a month or 600 b each and if you are away for a period of time no need to pay.Slight discount if you sign up and pay for longer

Slight problem that they don't show all the 3 o'clock kick off's, mind you it wouldn't surprise me if 365 started showing BEIN channel's.

That is one way to look at it.

However, Thailand is a little bit different in quite a few ways, to UK.

Archived