Thai bank for deposit

I need to open a deposit account at SCB bank because my company will direct transfer my salary to that account. But I have read some topics, there is a lot of people said this bank is not good. it is quite hard for a foreigner to open a bank account, isn't it? Is there anyone have experience with that? or any suggestion branch?

I have good experiences with SCB. Take your passport and your work permit and they will open you a savings account, sort you out an atm or debit card and set up your Internet banking.

You can have sms alerts for 20b a month too. It's all straightforward. Any problems and you can call their helpline.

As with most banks your experience will be greatly effected by the local management. When we (family) had accounts at local office had no issues and everyone friendly - but trying to use a different branch had very nasty experience from teller to manager (which resulted in our closing all accounts with SCB).

As with most banks your experience will be greatly effected by the local management. When we (family) had accounts at local office had no issues and everyone friendly - but trying to use a different branch had very nasty experience from teller to manager (which resulted in our closing all accounts with SCB).

Agree, just today I went to one of the two banks mentioned here, asked for a deposit slip (from the tellers printer) in English. Got rudely told 'bank documents in English, in Thailand, is illegal' ... next customer please...

Agree, just today I went to one of the two banks mentioned here, asked for a deposit slip (from the tellers printer) in English. Got rudely told 'bank documents in English, in Thailand, is illegal' ... next customer please...

Any reason to expect one in English - Eg. have you had one before?

SCB is really worse. I do not know what they get told or why they are so rude. I was once told in that bank that I cannot receive Western Union without a work permit and in my early days in Thailand I tried to discuss that with the guy instead of laughing and walking away.

Problems with opening accounts are mostly based on problems with wrong visa (tourist), not having address certificate etc.

Having a WP should always do the trick.

SCB: looks like you have no choice?

Can't your employer send the money to another bank account (maybe withholding the 35 Baht fee for an express transfer)?

Personally I have strange experiences with SCB.

1) Got a bank passbook with my name transcribed to Thai by "rules of the branch" wink.png

My original name not shown.

Not even saying/asking as I have an official transcription from marriage.

Silly.

2) Lately at the counter wanted a passbook update "of today" without doing transaction (fixed deposit) as you would need it for immigration.

"Can not."

Silly, too lazy to get informed.

Bangkok Bank: at an instant. Never a problem.

At maturity I closed fixed deposit and moved money away.

Will likely close savings account too.

I have an accout ( deposit and fixed ) at SCB for many years, so far no problems ( my bankbook is in my real name, latin caracteres ), but it's true that every document is in Thai and that for an update they want a transaction the same day ( not the other banks ? ); also in my bank , their English is not very good ( so I mix English and when they don't understand, I speak Thai and they are happy )

I forgot to say that their Internet banking ( in English and Thai ) is good

Edited by Aforek

OP for every bad report there will be more people who have had no issues but just don't mention it - and I would guess this is true for all banks.

A lot depends on the branch but you need to ensure that whatever accounts you open are in branches convenient to where you are or where you work as if you want to change stuff you will often need to go to that branch to do it.

If you really do not want much to do with SCB just open an account with them for the salary and then transfer most of it every month straight into another bank. However I can say that I have banked with them for over 7 years and in spite of the odd small issue have never really thought to change.

If you want a recommendation on a branch you need to say in what area.

Edit - typo

Edited by topt