LED Ceiling lights flickering

eeeya

I just installed Lamptan 10w dimmable led bulbs in conjunction with phillips dimmer switches and every now and then the lights flicker.

The dimmer switch is capable 40w-300w.

I have a room with 2 dimmers

1 dimmer x2 lights =20w.

1 dimmer x4 lights =40w.

As far as I understand my load is too low for the dimmers. Even with the 4 bulb its met the minimum but still flickers.

Anyone recommend another dimmer suitable for this set up?

Or is there another fix

Sent from my i-mobile IQ II using Tapatalk

Try replacing one of the LEDs with a regular lamp, just to be sure it's a min-load issue.

We have conventional lamps on dimmers that flicker when there's a mains disturbance (several times a day).

Which Philips dimmers do you have?

Some forums suggest, "A fix is to add resistance with a "dummy load" to increase the power consumption. Fibaro sells a "dimmer bypass" which appears to be a resistor intended specifically for this purpose. You can read about it here."

Basically, people add a 'dummy electrical device' (like a resistor) to pull the load over minimum. Just remember that dummy loads get converted into heat.

Regarding dummy loads, I had read about this but would the dummy load just increase the power consumption negating the energy saving of the LED lights?

Here is the dimmerf6aae770076da9557443a9a0b593203c.jpgbbeb3b7b9af40ca64a958854a0bf0d75.jpg9b7cdb84acb3b5154b2087ce23a9297b.jpg

I put standard 60w globes in and no problems with flickering.. [emoji24]

I put standard 60w globes in and no problems with flickering.. [emoji24]

I think Crossy was suggesting adding/replacing 'one' of your dimmer LED with an incandescent (or larger-wattage whatever bulb) to see if adding something with heavier wattage fixed the issue with the other LEDs wanting to flash while in use.

Is that what you did?

And, yes, a 'dummy load' is used just to increase the power consumption, negating (some of) the energy saving of the LED lights.

So I replaced a 60w globe for every 1 in 4 led lights. So far no flicker.

The regular 60w dims a lot better than the Dimmable leds.

So it works for now but I'm still on the hunt for suitable dimmer switch

Just to say... if you need to dim lights why not just use incandescent and cheap dimmer instead of going to expense to do it otherwise? I wonder if using LED for that is really saving money? Another way to do it is to have one circuit of lights with very low watt and another with high: switch one on for "dim" and the other for bright.

Archived